• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 How good is the flingza roller?

clefable

Inkling
I've been using rollers a lot more lately, and i've wanted to try something new than just the splat roller. Is the (non-foil) flingza good? I heard it got a small buff recently.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
In short; not very. Splash Wall is one of the worse subs in either game, and the vertical flick is very long, but takes longer to activate. In addition, the damage drops off heavily farther from the roller to where it's only lethal at about the length of a horizontal swing anyway.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I've been using rollers a lot more lately, and i've wanted to try something new than just the splat roller. Is the (non-foil) flingza good? I heard it got a small buff recently.
The buffs happen on Tuesday at about 8 PM CST. Right now, it sucks, but it looks to be better after the update. They increased how much damage the vertical flick will do.

Koopon

Roller/Blaster Main
Switch Friend Code
SW-6418-2499-7488
The Foil is great. I use it a lot. I have good results with it on SZ especially. You can ink long, wide strips of the zone with its vertical flick. And you can harass enemies across a zone with it. (The bomb rush of the vanilla is probably really good for flipping a zone too.) One good thing about the Flingza is it builds special really fast. So you don't need to run SCU unless you really want an extra fast charge.

So I run (for Foil) Opening Gambit with 3X Fast Super Jump, Thermal Ink with 3X Special Saver, and Ink Saver Sub with 3X Run Speed Up.

This kit lets me get to mid and dominate the objective FAST. I can throw a quick suction bomb and still have ink left to fight if necessary. Any enemy I tag with a flick I can track and flank for a splat. And the Flingza's horizontal flick is respectable in a close fight, and even more effective with run speed. I usually have a special ready after fighting for control of the objective, so I use a gimmick that works with quick super jump. And if I fail in mid and get splatted, I have a plan B, I come right back in with a special almost ready thanks to special saver.

For the gimmick, I either shoot off a fast volley of missiles, or take some time to jump back to spawn and launch missiles on as many enemies as possible from there. I IMMEDIATELY jump to a teammate that's near where my missiles are going, and therefore near an enemy. As you jump in the missile lock indicator will still be visible and show you exactly where the enemy is. Then aim a landing flick at that enemy indicator and hit them as you land for a surprise splat. I've tested this many time now and it works because the enemy is too busy avoiding missiles to bother with you as you jump in. And the Flingza's vertical flick has a lot of range to catch them. Plus if they've taken any splash damage from a missile they will be an easy splat even if they only catch the tip of your vertical flick. I've even got double and triple splats from this gimmick.

It takes a bit of practice, but the Foil is certainly playable in competitive modes. You need good basic skills with the roller to really make it shine though, so starting off with it would be really challenging. It's better to start off with the vanilla and run ninja squid to build sharking skill. Then pick up a Flingza when you are really good at flanking at close range.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Both Flingzas are pretty bad. One of the reasons for this is that the Splat Roller beats it by a mile in every way. The SRoller's normal flick is faster, does more damage, and has longer range than the Flingza's. The main gimmick of the Flingza is that it can vertical flick at a really long range, however, this is nearly useless, as the damage is very little until you get closer to an enemy. So close, in fact, that its almost exactly the same as the 1-shot v-flick of the SRoller. The Flingza's takes ages to release and kills your movement, something the SRoller's doesn't.

Another thing that makes the Flingzas bad are the kits. If you look at the weaknesses of the weapon, you'll find that the kits don't cover said weaknesses. The Flinza should be getting a quick bomb to deal damage before v-flicking like a Burst or Splat bomb. Neither of the Flingzas have either. The Foil Flingza is especially bad because it combines one of the worst main weapons with the worst special.

Another problem rollers have (as a class) is painting. Not since Splatoon 1's Dynamo has a roller been good at painting. This is the sole reason that the vanilla Flingza's is better than Foil. It has a bomb rush to help it push up and paint.

Sound Squalis

Inkster Jr.
Honestly I would argue any weapon can be good if you use it well enough, but this is not a very easy weapon to get a handle on, especially when trying to learn rollers as a class.

It's vertical flick is borderline as long as the dynamo (at least, in my perception of time) and as far as I know, the dynamo has longer range anyways. The spread is really nice for a vertical flick, but that is really only useful in turf, and really only in specific cases. It's ink consumption and roll speed don't help it either.

Vanilla's kit is somewhat workable, Foil's is borderline unusable without previous experience.
But then again I'm a charger main so please take my comment with a bit of salt.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Honestly I would argue any weapon can be good if you use it well enough
Although this may be true, it isn't practical, as somebody who's a god Flingza player will be held back by the fact that they use Flingza instead of SRoller. You can say that weapons like the Aerospray are good if you're good enough with them, but what's the point in using Aerospray when you could use Jr., Splash, Sploosh, Splattershot, and so on?

Sound Squalis

Inkster Jr.
I can see where you're coming from and in some cases that's true. I admit to not having enough experience on rollers in general to talk about this but I figure it's a good thing if someone can make that thing usable.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Both Flingzas are not unusable garbage
But they're a bit outclassed, sadly. (but I love the look of this weapon)

-Horizontal flick is comparable to carbon's h-flick, which is pretty weak atm. The few carbon mains I see use v-flick mostly.

-Vertical flick is alrite, if a bit slow.
Or rather, the long v flick is great for turfing and harassing short range weapons, particularly those lacking grenades. Where it falls very short is mid range weapons that simply splat faster / are easier to aim or long range weapons that will munch you down like a kit-kat while you're locked in that loooong swing animation.
Also, it's not very efficient (but that's what :ability_inksavermain: is for =p)

-Sub weapon. . . eh
Splash wall technically does mesh with the range of the v-flick, it's just that slow ttk from max range is poopy. You'll need a significant investment in sub power up to keep grenades from eating through your wall, and for what?
Barely enough time to play as a mid range menace? you can get the same result, again with another mid/long ranger, one that doesn;t have such a crippling flick animation.
If you're looking for weapons that mesh well with the splash wall, check out heavy deco or Squeezer.

-Splat bomb launcher
amazing special, it's the ttek of specials imo
the only time you'd consider it "bad" is if one special were so broken that you could not play any other special besides it.
Proof is in the pudding: despite the likes of kraken and bubbler in spplat 1, bomb rush remained a reliaable special.

Rapid blaster would be your better option for mid range support + splat bomb launcher.
While flingza has better self protection from short range aggressors, saiid short rangers have a wide window of attack should theey catch you doing a v flick.

TLDR?
If you're aiming to win big tournaments, you'll probably be a bit better off picking a different weapon
If you're just looking to do decently in tournaments, flingza might have a hard time fitting into a team, but I believe it can work in the right setup. =p

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The Flingza paints really well. It has that going for it. In all other aspects it's an inferior choice. It's conceivably useful for Splat Zones, I suppose.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Although this may be true, it isn't practical, as somebody who's a god Flingza player will be held back by the fact that they use Flingza instead of SRoller. You can say that weapons like the Aerospray are good if you're good enough with them, but what's the point in using Aerospray when you could use Jr., Splash, Sploosh, Splattershot, and so on?
Atleast the Flingza does have a point, being that it has ranged options. I know the Splat Roller is better and I'm not arguing otherwise, but eh, I like having range.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Having a good time with v.Flingza on splat zones now, post buff.
The 1hko potential helps a lot in solo queue.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Flingza is sadly outclassed by the other rollers (besides dynamo) cause of its super slow vertical flick but it's definitely not garbage weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom