• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How hard is it to rank up to S?

Hello, i'm a new Splatoon Player. Atm i'm B+ in Splat Zones, B in Tower Control and B- in Rainmaker. I don't really Play Clam Blitz so i'm C- there. Sometimes it's very hard to win matches because of many reasons (afk Players or Players they are very bad). I think i'm a middle good Player. I've played actually ~50 hours. My actual main weapon is the Tetra Dualie.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If you are a decent player it should not be much of a grind. It can be a little tricky in the lower ranks due to the quality of the player(s).
You will have to do a little carrying to get there.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
It shouldn’t take too long with decent teammates....but everyone has the problem of getting matched with bad teammates sometimes. I’m still at S+.....trying to get to X but I really only like Splat Zones and that’s a mode that’s not offered too often or if it is, it’s at the most random times. They love putting Clam Blitz in rotation though. I played that mode a while back and never touched it again. I don’t even like watching streamers play that mode. Because I don’t play ranked everyday, it’s taking me longer than the average person to rank up in Splat Zones.

Nyabby

Inkling
NNID
soulsilveraero
Switch Friend Code
SW-0354-4659-5697
Like others have said, it really comes down to how much effort your teammates are putting in as well as your own skill. You really just have to buckle down and deal with the grind, it's not an arduous task but it can do a number on your head so remember to take breaks.

If I've got any tips, it's probably to learn what times "good" players are online and play during those times so that you don't always get stuck with dead-weight AFK players. AND STAY HYDRATED!

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Autobombs do wonders for ya. Can't tell you how many surprise splats I got...or received from an autobomb that they/I didn't see coming.

But honestly...it depends. I got to S+ easily on TC, skipping all of B and A to S, which made it easier. Every other mode has been a nightmare...specially when you get people who just go and get splatted all the time, the disconnects, and all that. Try and find good times to play where you see an increase in the better players, playing. It may vary day to day and such, but still.

Take breaks, or you'll give yourself a headache like I'm sure most of us have gotten. Don't be too hard on yourself if you get a string of losses. One person can only do so much, and carrying a whole team is very straining. Team effort, check a lot to see whose splatted on what team and go from there. Just don't try and go in and Rambo it. I've seen a lot of people get splatted that way.

Also...try not to get distracted from the objective too much. Plenty of times, people have been far too distracted trying to splat others, instead of paying attention to the person on the Tower, with the RM, etc.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
My experience has been that Splat Zones is pretty reasonable, but the other modes are a pain. I want to believe I'm a decent player, and that my performance in Splat Zones reflects this - where I'm occasionally breaking bars through A but its a steady upward progression. However, Tower Control and Rainmaker may as well be a coin flip.

My advise, if you get really stuck, would be to try out a different weapon. Some weapons in this game are just 100% more viable on a particular map or mode, and sometimes you need to ride that wave to get ahead.

Superpudds

Inkling
NNID
Superpudds
I haven't found it that hard to Rank up to S, but I also played a lot of Splatoon 1. There are a lot of fine details to the game that can stack the odds in you favor. Obviously your skill with a weapon and map is a factor, but here are some things to think of that may help as well.

1.Movement while shooting
2. Distance from teamates
3. Attack/Pushing strategies
4.Working together with teamates
5.Noticing gaps/weaknesses in formations

There are still a lot of things I am learning about the game, and between Splatoon 1 and 2 I have a lot of hours put into it. I think when you have a bit more time put into the game, Rank S will seem like a breeze.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Ouff probably should drop off knowledge here from me.
When it comes to improvement and knowledge, mistakes are your best teacher.

If things go wrong, you can always rank up, the ranks are there to put you on the game level you suit best for, improvement will come naturally, i've reached S+ rank recently, never thinking i would reach it, but i did, now i have to keep it and fight for a higher rank.

Skill comes naturally as long as you are willingly to learn.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
It shouldn’t take too long with decent teammates....but everyone has the problem of getting matched with bad teammates sometimes. I’m still at S+.....trying to get to X but I really only like Splat Zones and that’s a mode that’s not offered too often or if it is, it’s at the most random times. They love putting Clam Blitz in rotation though. I played that mode a while back and never touched it again. I don’t even like watching streamers play that mode. Because I don’t play ranked everyday, it’s taking me longer than the average person to rank up in Splat Zones.
Ha, I'm the same as you, although I recently realized I really enjoy Rainmaker as well. TC is a slog and CB is just wack. Every day checking the rotation though, it seems like we get 6 CB rotations and 2 SZ, and the SZ are at like noon and 2 am.

Since I enjoy SZ, it didn't take too long to reach S rank. I probably only broke my meter 4-5 times before I got it. Now I've made it to S+ but never past S+0.

Since I started playing RM more I've been able to get to A+, andI'm sure I'll be able to get to S soon. It honestly feels like its been a little harder to rank up in RM though. SZ is probably the easiest mode to carry since simply staying alive and continuing to paint goes a long way towards getting the win.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Now that Rank X appeared, S+ got better to find balanced matches. Before this it was common for me S+3 play on the same room as S+40~50, it was like many of them were getting more wins at lower S+ cost.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Ouff probably should drop off knowledge here from me.
When it comes to improvement and knowledge, mistakes are your best teacher.

i've reached S+ rank recently, never thinking i would reach it, but i did, now i have to keep it and fight for a higher rank.
Watch as soon as we get to X, Nintendo is gonna release an even higher rank. lol

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Ha, I'm the same as you, although I recently realized I really enjoy Rainmaker as well. TC is a slog and CB is just wack. Every day checking the rotation though, it seems like we get 6 CB rotations and 2 SZ, and the SZ are at like noon and 2 am.

Since I enjoy SZ, it didn't take too long to reach S rank. I probably only broke my meter 4-5 times before I got it. Now I've made it to S+ but never past S+0.

Since I started playing RM more I've been able to get to A+, andI'm sure I'll be able to get to S soon. It honestly feels like its been a little harder to rank up in RM though. SZ is probably the easiest mode to carry since simply staying alive and continuing to paint goes a long way towards getting the win.
I play turf war a lot too......it's relaxing to me lol, but when I'm feeling more aggressive, I turn to Splat Zones. It's like turf war on crack. RM matches can go by in only a few seconds, and I think that's why people love that mode the most. It doesn't drag on like TC or CB. RM to me needs voice chat the most though, because it's impossible to try to play that mode without team support. I always get in matches where as soon as I pick up the RM, my teammates die, leaving me to fend for myself against their entire team. And then there are the cases where teammates are too scared to take the RM. lol It's a frustrating mode for sure.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I play turf war a lot too......it's relaxing to me lol, but when I'm feeling more aggressive, I turn to Splat Zones. It's like turf war on crack. RM matches can go by in only a few seconds, and I think that's why people love that mode the most. It doesn't drag on like TC or CB. RM to me needs voice chat the most though, because it's impossible to try to play that mode without team support. I always get in matches where as soon as I pick up the RM, my teammates die, leaving me to fend for myself against their entire team. And then there are the cases where teammates are too scared to take the RM. lol It's a frustrating mode for sure.
Sorry to sidetrack this thread - I'll try not to reply after this.

SZ is fun for the reason you said: most people learn the game playing turf wars, and zones is like turf on crack. Its a natural progression. To me the biggest difference between TC and RM is that in RM, having the rainmaker is fun. Its a badass weapon that you blast people with. Sure it makes you vulnerable, but at least its also offensive. Having the tower in TC is no fun, its just an exercise in not getting splatted while you're a sitting duck. I'm trying to get that damn rainmaker, and I'm like **** I guess I better get on that damn tower.

Sharkbrush

Inkling
NNID
Caramel_Dorka
Switch Friend Code
SW-5374-1988-5781
Depends on how quickly you can learn and what region you're in. Generally, it's harder to rank up in the Japanese servers but you learn a lot faster due to the pressure other players constantly put on you (even in turf). As for EU and US, I can't say for sure but it seems easier to rank up. The issue with this is that if you do manage to hit the higher ranks, you're going to have to learn ASAP or get booted down again.

If you want to 'git gud' faster to get to S, I'd recommend finishing story mode to get a grip on the different weapons types and how they play. Then, head over to league battles and twin/quad with some higher-ranking friends to get placed in battles against S+, S, and A+ players. Once you're used to how they play in the higher ranks and how to counter certain situations, getting through B should be a walk in the park.

So... Now i can't play since Friday because of the error code 2618-0513 .. I tried many things and this error won't to go away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom