• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How is the Jet Squelcher in Splatoon 2

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
I have not played Splatoon 2 since I dont have a switch. I'm hoping to get one soon. I main the Jet Squelcher in Splatoon 1. That's a weapon I really don't see many people using much. I'm gonna be using that as my main again when I get the game. I just wanna know if there were any changes from it in Splatoon 2 or is it the same. All I know about it as of now is that it is still a 4 shot kill.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
*deep breath* You are in for a treat, my friend. The Jet has going from a niche pick to a top-tier weapon. It's one of the best ranged options in the game currently. It's damage was increased slightly, from 31 to 32 and most weapons had their range go down, but not the Jet's. It even outreaches the Heavy Splatling now! On top of that, it's kit is fantastic - Toxic Mist is an expensive but powerful zoning tool, and Tenta Missiles are a delight on a weapon so far away from the front lines. Enjoy yourself, my squelcher brother! :D

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
That does sound good. How are the shots? In Splatoon 1 it was hard to get good shots on moving targets cause they were small. Also made it hard to move around with.

Maave

Inkling Commander
The main gun is just as solid, but with a Toxic Mist sub weapon now. I still haven't figured out how to use toxic mist effectively - besides bothering people on the tower or chasing the Rainmaker carrier. The Tenta Missiles special get an adequate amount of kills, and distracts and forces Eliters to move so I can go in for the kill. I need some more game time in S2 to get the sniper-hunting strategies down

Padre

Pro Squid
Never played Splatoon 1, but this thing harrasses like no other. Mist and tentas keep campers away.

I feel it could have lower damage but higher firerate.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I've been using it a ton in Splatoon 2, and I looooooooooooooooooooooooove it. Thanks to the maps now not catering too much to chargers, a weapon like the Jet can have more viability in battle than it did in the first game. The fact that short range weapons are more viable than they were in the first game helps in turn, make the Jet even more viable and useful.

If you liked it in the first game, you will be very happy with how Splatoon 2 is treating it.

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
It seems in this game the weapon does not have much options to protect itself when getting rushed down. Splatoon 1 you had splat bombs/wall. Sounds to me with this weapon, the creators of the game really want you to keep your distance at all cost. But the keep away game does sound good. Can harash players mid range and far away.

And its nice to know that it out ranges splatlings Those were a pain to deal with at times as Jet.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I tried using the Jet to counter the rush of Heavy Splatling Deco users and couldn't outrange them in practice. Occasionally I could outrange the Heavies but most of the time they were just close enough to hit me.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
It's basically become the most meta long/range Splattershot because of a combination of buffs to the weapon itself and nerfs to competitors like the Splattershot Pro (whyyyyyyyyy?).

Its kit rewards a support-style play, hanging back from the action, holding important ground, spamming Tentamissiles and throwing the occasional poison mist into choke points.

Also it feels way easier to use than in Splatoon 1. I picked it up because of the nerfs to the Splattershot Pro (whyyyyyyy?) so I could play support for my squad, but even in solo que where I couldn't voice chat with my teammates it just felt like the wins were coming too easy - it didn't feel challenging enough (no offense to any jet squelcher mains), and if there's anything I like, it's a challenge, so I switched to chargers, which are harder to use but sooooooooo much more satisfying.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm gonna be using that as my main again when I get the game.
To be honest, I don't think you can really say that right now. I expected to mostly stick to the same stuff as S1 as well, but I'm using quite a different set of weapons. Although some of that is thanks to the sub/specials they have, so that might change when second or potential third varieties get released.

At any rate, the JS works very well together with its special. Howver, personally I don't find the Toxic Mist very fun to use, so I'm hoping for a loadout in the future that is more to my tastes.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Competitively speaking it's not a notable weapon in the slightest. No noteworthy results at all (actually among the less impressive in that regard). Its usage rate has increased though. Absolutely nowhere near the dominating top weapons but still keeps itself at a solid position. It's pretty safe from nerfs as it's decent at best but accordingly not very impressive.

Switch to it if it suits your playstyle. If not, don't hop on. Its viability is not worth it. There are plenty of superior and braindead top and high tier weapons that will get you much better and consistent results unless the Jet Squelcher suits your style.

If you're looking for an improvement from Splatoon 1, you won't find much in that aspect. The shots still need eons to travel and hitting moving targets therefore takes as much skill and finesse as it always did.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I agree with Ulk. Currently a pretty situational long-range weapon, with the premiere ones being the rapid blaster and sloshing machine. Those would be my go-to picks unless you know enough about the jet squelcher to say confidently that it's better in a given situation.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
It is a good weapon (even if I didn't figure out how to use the ToxicMist effectively. But my play normally doesn't know anything about tactic). It is a support weapon as ToxicMist and TentaMissiles keep campers away and can support the tower by keeping enemies away from it. BUT I would still learn how to deal with enemies using the Jet-Squelcher in Short-ranged combat because someone is going to sneak up on you. I already had multiple situations where I had to deal with enemies in close combat. The supprising thing is: It works, if your aim is good enough. Before the nerv of the TRIslosher one of my favourites things where splatting all the Tri-slosher users. That bucket wasn't big enough to hold all the tears of the Tri-slosher users, but now the number of 0.5 Tri-sloshers per match went down to 0.05.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It's one of the best long-ranged weapons out there, which is a bit narrow to be fair: The other good long-ranged weapons are Firefin and Heavy, Heavy Deco is relatively new but people have been very positive about it so far so for all intents and purposes you can include that one too.

Nevertheless the Jet is a powerful supporting weapon, so it's not a bad pick!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It's great, but I'm waiting for the Custom to release before I really start using it.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
It's one of the best long-ranged weapons out there, which is a bit narrow to be fair: The other good long-ranged weapons are Firefin and Heavy, Heavy Deco is relatively new but people have been very positive about it so far so for all intents and purposes you can include that one too.

Nevertheless the Jet is a powerful supporting weapon, so it's not a bad pick!
TBH I somehow find it stupidly OP :/

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
You're not alone, bro
I mean, Long Range (Longest range for any shooter) + 4-shot kill + fast fire rate + Good turfing skills + 180p Tenta Missiles Charge + An annoying Sub = Jet Squelcher. Oh, and swap the long range for short range, and you've got Octobrush.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I enjoy using the Jet Squelcher, but my aim isn't steady enough for me to be a real threat with it. Toxic mist helps with my unsteady aim with it, and Tenta Missiles are good for scouting potential threats.

The thing can be a beast if someone with steady aim, and is good with leading their shots has a hold of it. I have had plenty of matches where Jet Squelcher users would dominate the map.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I mean, Long Range (Longest range for any shooter) + 4-shot kill + fast fire rate + Good turfing skills + 180p Tenta Missiles Charge + An annoying Sub = Jet Squelcher. Oh, and swap the long range for short range, and you've got Octobrush.
It's firing rate is actually pretty awful. If a shorter-ranged weapon gets the range advantage on the Jet, the other weapon will generally win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom