• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Splatoon is the Smash of Shooters.

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
We all here know of Smash. The Party Fighting game made by Nintendo. Smash uses weird mechanics not seen in fighting games of the time. The goal is to kill your opponent but -- it isn't about just more hits. It is about percentage. This is very different idea. It makes a curve of challenge greater as you fail more. Smash also has art and story not seen in the fighting genre.

We all here know of Splatoon. The Party Shooting game made by Nintendo. Splatoon uses weird mechanics not seen in other shooters. The goal is to win but -- it isn't about just more hits. It is about percentage. This is very different idea. It makes a curve of challenge greater as you fail more. Splatoon also has art and story not seen in the fighting genre.

See what I mean. Discuss more connections in the discussion.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't think they are really similar at all. Also there has been games before about covering the most area in a specific thing, so I'm not sure any of that really applies to Splatoon.

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
I don't think they are really similar at all. Also there has been games before about covering the most area in a specific thing, so I'm not sure any of that really applies to Splatoon.
I'm talking about how Splatoon is to Shooters as Smash is to FIghters. They have different mechanics, yes. What I'm saying is that they are similar in there relation to the rest of the genre.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
So what about grafitti mode in Tony Hawk. Would that make it the smash of sports games

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
So what about grafitti mode in Tony Hawk. Would that make it the smash of sports games
No. I was more discussing the fact relation of Splatoon or Smash to there genre. Both games are colorful, Nintendo made, and not focusing on the main goals set by the genre. The Smash of Sport games would be like Mario Strikers or SSX.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It is more like the Mario Kart of shooters, in fact, Nintendo itself said it wants Splatoon to be the Mario Kart of shooters.

Reactions: Lyn

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
No. I was more discussing the fact relation of Splatoon or Smash to there genre. Both games are colorful, Nintendo made, and not focusing on the main goals set by the genre. The Smash of Sport games would be like Mario Strikers or SSX.
I'm only kidding haha. But I do see what you're saying

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
Dunno why yall are attacking the subject like this, it's a good comparison.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
Disagreeing with something =/= Attacking.
Ironically enough that's how most from the melee community feel.
I think Splatoon is original enough to not warrant comparisons from a completely unrelated game. If we were to compare Splatoon to any other Nintendo title, it would have to be Mario Sunshine.

Lozjam

Inkster Jr.
Splatoon is way more competitive than Smash, as the developers actually are curious to see this become an Esport. There aren't any random garbage events, stage hazards, items, nor stage bosses. Unlike Smash, this game is equally as crazy in a casual setting as well as the competitive setting, Everything is based on skill, and skill alone, but it is also easy for newcomers to get to a competitive skill level. Splatoon seems to be a much better competitive game than Smash or Mariokart, due to there being very little random elements, it is very fast paced, and it seemingly has more depth due to the movement, stealth, and ink mechanics. This also seems like a better casual game as well, as it is just as crazy, if not more so, than Mariokart and casual Smash due to all of the weapons, subs, and super weapons. Though, everything is completely fair and (as far as we know) balanced and based on skill. Casual players can also use a variety of casual tactics, whilst still helping their team and contributing.
As far as I am concerned, it seems like Splatoon is the better game for both worlds, than both Smash and Mariokart.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Splatoon is way more competitive than Smash, as the developers actually are curious to see this become an Esport. There aren't any random garbage events, stage hazards, items, nor stage bosses. Unlike Smash, this game is equally as crazy in a casual setting as well as the competitive setting, Everything is based on skill, and skill alone, but it is also easy for newcomers to get to a competitive skill level. Splatoon seems to be a much better competitive game than Smash or Mariokart, due to there being very little random elements, it is very fast paced, and it seemingly has more depth due to the movement, stealth, and ink mechanics. This also seems like a better casual game as well, as it is just as crazy, if not more so, than Mariokart and casual Smash due to all of the weapons, subs, and super weapons. Though, everything is completely fair and (as far as we know) balanced and based on skill. Casual players can also use a variety of casual tactics, whilst still helping their team and contributing.
As far as I am concerned, it seems like Splatoon is the better game for both worlds, than both Smash and Mariokart.
I know you're hype for the game and all but it's not even out yet. Let's not get carried away. Plus trying to compare smash to a team based shooter doesn't make sense

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
I know you're hype for the game and all but it's not even out yet. Let's not get carried away. Plus trying to compare smash to a team based shooter doesn't make sense
Glad we agree with this.

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
Ultimately people will draw their own conclusions. Some more outlandish than others (boy I can't wait for all the COD comparisons)

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
Ironically enough that's how most from the melee community feel.
I think Splatoon is original enough to not warrant comparisons from a completely unrelated game. If we were to compare Splatoon to any other Nintendo title, it would have to be Mario Sunshine.
This is not about the Thematics of the games. I'm talking solely about the difference beetwen Smash and most fighting games, and Splatoon and most shooting games. It's a mechanical level. Like how Splatoon's and Smash's mechanics are Much different from a COD or a Mortal Kombat, yet they exist in the same realm of games.

Splatoon is way more competitive than Smash
As for that... tell that to many people and they will tell you many reason's why you should not be on the internet. As for me. I think Smash has more unintended mechanics that hoist it to a competitive level. Splatoon's may be more known by the devs. Both games are on the same level of competitiveness.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Nintendo is know for making titles accessible by a lot of different kinds of people. That's all I can personally get from this.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
This is not about the Thematics of the games. I'm talking solely about the difference beetwen Smash and most fighting games, and Splatoon and most shooting games. It's a mechanical level. Like how Splatoon's and Smash's mechanics are Much different from a COD or a Mortal Kombat, yet they exist in the same realm of games.
I agree, Splatoon is clever in a way that makes it so every bullet shot counts. They made a game that changes the "rules" of the genre where its all about accuracy and kills/shooting a target. In Splatoon The entire floor is your target- it is very hard to miss that target. Other mechanics were then created from the basic concept like the squid transformations and the effects of the rival color ink on players.

Smash Brothers was unique for its time because of how wide of scope it was for a crossover and how instead of depleting a health bar you were actually making a damage percentage go up. Coupled with goal of knocking characters off screen and its simple button controls compered to other fighters in the genre Smash was also an exception to the basic rules of the fighter genre.

Mario kart was in a similar boat where it took the basics of the genre and decided to add crazy tracks with hazards and item boxes that mixed up the races making a single race and your strategy change dynamically to fit the situation.

Remember that each were going against their genres at their time and that they were also tied to technical and time limitations for their time as well- that's why today MK doesn't seem that groundbreaking and neither does smash. Maybe in a decade Splatoon will seem more at home in its genre to us as well.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The game is certainly unique from it's peers in the 'shooter' genre. I suppose that's a comparison I can make between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom