• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How to snipe?

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
Any pro snipers got advice for someone who has a basic idea on how to snipe but is still mediocre at it?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Any particulars?

Otherwise we'll accidentally give you an infodump tidal wave that could hamper your progress more than help it.

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
The long range chargers and their scope variants. I would like more info on Squiffers and Bamboozlers too, but to avoid the tidal wave of text and info, I'd just like tips on the longer range sniping weapons for now.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I don't know if I can help you, but I'm currently S+97 in long range chargers, so I think I'm the guy you're looking for.

When sniping, it's extremely important to play defensive. Most weapons don't even have a way of dealing with you (if you are outside of their range)
Weapons like these:
:wst_roller_heavy00: :wst_roller_normal01:
can't do anything to you (if you space yourself correctly). Notice how none of those weapons are pushovers either. They're all pretty good weapons and having a sniper being able to check them easily is a boon. So, since they can't do anything to you until they get close, they're all going to rush you. Knowing that they'll charge at you is something you have to play around. So, if you're expecting someone, start charging up a shot and one shot them before they can even shoot you. But, don't point your laser at them. Once they see the laser, they'll know you're up to something and strafe away. The best remedy for this is to simply aim at a wall/floor to cover your shot and once they get close . . . boom. ded. That's a technique commonly referred to as "snapping".

I'll admit, learning to snap is vital and it's kind of hard to learn and be consistent with. Especially with a scope. The scope doesn't really have a laser at full charge and it's kinda tricky. So, I'd advise to start with scopeless and then go to scoped sniping. Just because scopeless helps you determine the laser on your weapon. But, I wouldn't stick to the scopeless forever, just because you lose some range, and that can be vital for getting some crucial shots. But at the end of the day, it's preference.

Hopefully, I helped, and I might start making a guide on this stuff because a lot of people have been asking me similar questions.

OranguruGaming

Inkling
NNID
jaygroom8
Stay mobile, check your six as much as possible. Play defensively obviously going face to face with a roller isn't too smart :D. But also at the same time don't be afraid to take your shot either. Get a good balance of aggressive and cautious.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I learned sniping last so I still remember my stumbling points.

Know your range. If you haven't played that particular gun on that particular map yet then use recon mode, test how far you can reach from various positions. This will prevent you from missing shots and exposing yourself needlessly.

Know your spots. There are obvious sniper perches on all the maps plus simply convenient spot. The best spots generally give you a good line of sight of the current area while preventing opponents from moving in, and have obstacles to totally block or to corner-peek against opposing snipers.

Know where to stand relative to your teammates. This is the one thing that none of the guides ever mentioned and I'd always feel like I was standing in the wrong spot. My rule of thumb is to stay half of my max distance behind my teammates. That way I can shoot opponents without struggling to reach while keeping myself just far enough back that I'm not vulnerable to them. You have to move with the frontline, push with your teammates and fall back if they lose turf.

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
Thanks y'all! This helps a lot. I do have a question about sensitivity and controls. I was told that a lower sensitivity is better for sniping. I know that it mainly depends on comfort level, but what would you say is a good range of sensitivity for sniping?

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
Also, I noticed that Kelp Dome is rather lacking in high perches and good sniping points, but are there any places that are good places for sniping at all on that stage?

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Don't snap your shots. It's not worth the unreliability. Drag them smoothly toward the target while you're charging so that you land on the target right when the charge is done and release it right away. You already have two things working for you to hide your laser automatically: latency and the range nerf at less than full charge.

Sensitivity is purely comfort. I know great snipers that use +5 and great snipers that use -3. Start low and work your way up as you get comfortable with it. Don't try to force it though. You should adjust sensitivity to match your muscle memory, not try to train your muscles on different sensitivities. If you find that you're consistently overshooting targets, turn it down. If you're undershooting, turn it up. I used -2 for a long time before bumping it to -1.5 when I noticed I was consistently undershooting.

On Kelp Dome most snipers stay on the ramps that lead to the catwalk. Stay a bit down the ramp and jump when you shoot for added protection. When it's time to push forward you can right-peek around the walls in the left tree area to shoot into the north side of the middle area (watch for flanks from your left), or stand in the south side of mid and peek around the middle platform to shoot toward the right tree area. You can also reach enemy spawn from the top of the middle platform if your team is dominating.

lostinseax

Inkling
I used to play as an E-liter 3K a bit so this would probably help.

I find it the most inconvenient to play as scopes (for some strange reason). You become bits and bits more vulnerable, and it may give some extra range, but it's not worth it.

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
I don't know if I can help you, but I'm currently S+97 in long range chargers, so I think I'm the guy you're looking for.

When sniping, it's extremely important to play defensive. Most weapons don't even have a way of dealing with you (if you are outside of their range)
Weapons like these:
:wst_roller_heavy00: :wst_roller_normal01:
can't do anything to you (if you space yourself correctly). Notice how none of those weapons are pushovers either. They're all pretty good weapons and having a sniper being able to check them easily is a boon. So, since they can't do anything to you until they get close, they're all going to rush you. Knowing that they'll charge at you is something you have to play around. So, if you're expecting someone, start charging up a shot and one shot them before they can even shoot you. But, don't point your laser at them. Once they see the laser, they'll know you're up to something and strafe away. The best remedy for this is to simply aim at a wall/floor to cover your shot and once they get close . . . boom. ded. That's a technique commonly referred to as "snapping".

I'll admit, learning to snap is vital and it's kind of hard to learn and be consistent with. Especially with a scope. The scope doesn't really have a laser at full charge and it's kinda tricky. So, I'd advise to start with scopeless and then go to scoped sniping. Just because scopeless helps you determine the laser on your weapon. But, I wouldn't stick to the scopeless forever, just because you lose some range, and that can be vital for getting some crucial shots. But at the end of the day, it's preference.

Hopefully, I helped, and I might start making a guide on this stuff because a lot of people have been asking me similar questions.
@ThatOneGuy any ability recommendations, other than Damage Up?

Maave

Inkling Commander
Also, I noticed that Kelp Dome is rather lacking in high perches and good sniping points, but are there any places that are good places for sniping at all on that stage?
Ayyy I missed this but I'll post since I saw it. Yeah Kelp Dome doesn't have many perches but it does have straightaways which sorta make up for it. Note these are S-rank tips

Here's quick map of the spots I see and use, and what they're used for, sort of in order:

1. popular starting position, you can shoot the guys coming off their shortcut over the wall. Other people use this a lot but I don't like it, maybe because I'm bad at seeing/shooting through the bottom of the grates. This spot is especially vulnerable to rollers, buckets, and blasters because you often have to extend onto the grate a little which reduces your mobility.
2. my preferred starting position. Lots of vision - enemy perch #1, enemy's flanking ramp, and much of mid - and a good ramp/platform to move around on. Watch your map to predict where enemies are going and what weapons they're using. Jump shoot the enemy snipers who come onto their position #1, they are often unaware of my presence.
Also a defensive spot if the enemy is pushing forward.
3. backup perch. Good vision but you're exposed as you hop onto this shortcut platform. There's no ramp to sneak up or jump shoot from. It can also cause traffic jams with your teammates who are just trying to get to mid
4. use pure range to shoot into mid. There isn't much cover here
5. corner peek spot so you can shoot into mid. Useful against enemy snipers who come over the shortcut
6. a mix of using range and corner peeking to keep people out of mid
7. more swatting people out of mid. Stay in your ink up here since there's no cover
8. pushing forward from mid, use range to hold off and pester the enemies while you and your teammates get to spot #9. Watch out for the enemy shortcutters
9. now you're really whooping them. Deny them the entire lane here, moving up as needed. Corner peek to avoid enemy snipers on the ramp directly in front.
10. way back at the beginning, this spot means you're either getting pushed back or a flanker is pestering you. Not much cover but at least you have range
11. you're really getting pushed back. Take jump shots if there are enemy snipers

Last edited:

Lemon Lag

Inkling
NNID
lemonlag
Hiya I'm an S+ rank Sniper. I have a few things to add that may be helpful. First off as mentioned by ThatOneGuy, snapping your snipes is extremely important, and one of the best ways to become efficient at it is by practicing it in the testing area. Before going into ranked I like to warm up in the testing area. Two other things that I do religiously are, recalibrating my motion controls, and recalibrating my sticks before plying. To do this you want to be in splatoon, and click the home menu button (the one at the bottom of the gamepad it looks like a house), once you are there hold down "X" and "B" together, a popup menu will appear and it will ask u if you want to recalibrate the motion controls, set the gamepad on a flat table, and select calibrate from the popup menu, a few seconds will pass and your all set. Next to recalibrate the sticks, all you have to do is hold down "A" "B" "+" "-" all at the same time for a little over 3 seconds, and thats it, there is no popup window for recalibrating the sticks. The third and final thing to do is to figure out a motion sensitivity that you are comfortable with. You can adjust it in the settings menu of splatoon. I generally keep mine at around 1+ to 2+ sensitivity. To figure out what you are comfortable with just go to the testing area and try snapping a few snipes, if you'er over shooting (snapping past them) turn you sensitivity down, if you'er under shooting them then turn the sensitivity up. What you want is the ability to snap and lock on to the enemy with out over rotating or under rotating. Well'p I hope at least one of these things will help someone with their sniping. If you want any more info just ask me. Also I make splatoon tutorials on YT mostly about sniping. So if your interested here is the link: www.youtube.com/lemonlag (shameless plug XD). (These tips apply to all the chargers just to let you know)

-Lemon

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
Thank y'all! @Maave don't worry you're not too late. Any advice at any time helps. I have difficulty sniping on Kelp Dome, so the map you labeled and went into detail on helps.
@Lemon Lag I've actually seen some of your videos. They're super helpful, and your tips on aiming and snapping have been very helpful too. Thanks! :) (I need to work on snapping my shots, that's for sure...)
Also, I tried to recalibrate my gyro, but the pop-up menu didn't appear. Do I have to enable something in settings in order to let me recalibrate the gyro controls or something?

Lemon Lag

Inkling
NNID
lemonlag
I tried to recalibrate my gyro, but the pop-up menu didn't appear. Do I have to enable something in settings in order to let me recalibrate the gyro controls or something?
I'm sorry I misspoke your are supposed to hold down Y and B
To calibrate the gyro

KannaMango93

Inkster Jr.
I'm sorry I misspoke your are supposed to hold down Y and B
To calibrate the gyro
Thanks! Also, I have some difficulty with snapping in general. I know that I can always practice in the testing range on the dummies, but those targets are stationary. Does snapping your shots on moving targets in battle just come with practice?

Starbuck

Inkling
Watching you DUDE and specter have really helped me in sniping positions and just in general!!! Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom