• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 How viable is bomb defense up in ranked?

CM86

Pro Squid
According to Inkpedia, 1 main and 4 subs of bomb defense up will allow you to survive a direct burst bomb plus 2 near blasts. It doesn't appear to help with anything else if you add any more bomb defense up. Anyone have any opinions on this ability and if its any helpful at all in competitive? I don't want to make a piece of gear with all bomb defense up if the majority of you squids on here feel like it is not a useful ability.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
It's a great counter to inkjet, the special of some of the most common weapons in the game. For use against standard subs, it'll be more useful if you're a close range fighter who might have difficulty fleeing from bombs immediately. Though this ability is obviously nerfed from Splatoon 1, it's still one of the best ones in the game.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
In theory, 3 mains and 2 subs or the equivalent is enough to completely tank an Autobomb or Curling Bomb direct hit. Never seen anyone try it, though.

Reactions: the

CM86

Pro Squid
In theory, 3 mains and 2 subs or the equivalent is enough to completely tank an Autobomb or Curling Bomb direct hit. Never seen anyone try it, though.
That is very interesting and I wouldn't call it situational either. There is so many autobombs and curling bombs being thrown around.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
When Sting Ray eventually gets buffed, 3 mains makes the special take 3-4 additional hits to kill. Surviving tenta missile strikes becomes trivial because only a direct hit could take you out. It's such universal protection against everything that isn't a bullet that the ability is completely viable.

Tables

Inkster Jr.
I've tested surviving direct attacks, and couldn't get it to work. I wouldn't be surprised if the OHKO radius attacks are just completely unaffected by Bomb Defence Up.

Anyway, I find Bomb Defence to be a pretty good ability overall. It lets you turn a lot of attacks into not-quite kills. The more you have, the easier it is to survive things like Inkjets, Tenta Missiles, stray Bomb explosions and the like. Remember that if you're getting hit by specials or bombs there's a good chance you're taking small amounts of damage from standing in enemy ink, so any extra subs/mains do help, beyond just one main 4 subs.

At the very least I recommend having 1-3 subs, to boost survival against things like Inkjet near-misses and generally have a little extra HP after bombs explode nearby. 3 subs is an 11.0% reduction according to the formula for Bomb Defence I calculated, which isn't specifically enough to do anything special I can think of directly, but is fairly easy to include in a gear set and helps survive special + sub weapon attacks sometimes.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Derp, wasn't aware it works against specials too. Definitely a very good ability then, but eh I was never that interested in defense up.

Reactions: the

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Bomb defense is very useful overall, the bombs in this game have an extended minimal damage radius that can be almost impossible to avoid, the minimum damage being 30.

it can protect from a lot of other things too actually, splashdown explosion (from the edge), rainmaker explosion (from the edge), inkjet shot, baller explosion. overall it's really helpful

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
At the very least I recommend having 1-3 subs, to boost survival against things like Inkjet near-misses and generally have a little extra HP after bombs explode nearby.
I just want this repeated.

This is a big point, especially in the current Inkjet heavy meta. Getting that extra moment of not being an ink stain on the floor could mean the difference between you splatting the inkjet instead of vice versa (or trading with them, which still isn't the greatest when you're going for that sweet map control).

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Right now Bomb Defense is standard on your Slayers. The sheer number of things it protects you from adds up and when combined with Ink Resist and Swim Speed it allows you to be more aggressive in the face of many explosives that are intended to prevent you from moving forward.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
I've tested surviving direct attacks, and couldn't get it to work. I wouldn't be surprised if the OHKO radius attacks are just completely unaffected by Bomb Defence Up.
This seems to be true. However much Bomb Defence I stack, I've never been able to survive a direct bomb blast or inkjet blast.

It's still good because it gives you staying power during a bomb rush (or against bombs in general), allowing you to focus on the objective even if just for a bit longer. Especially if you're a shorter range weapon like sploosh/brush. I'd love to know if it helps against tenta missiles, too.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
This seems to be true. However much Bomb Defence I stack, I've never been able to survive a direct bomb blast or inkjet blast.

It's still good because it gives you staying power during a bomb rush (or against bombs in general), allowing you to focus on the objective even if just for a bit longer. Especially if you're a shorter range weapon like sploosh/brush. I'd love to know if it helps against tenta missiles, too.
No amount of defense up, bomb defense up, bomb sniffer, whatever can reduce the damage of a single attack that does more than 100 base damage in the Splatoon series.

Tables

Inkster Jr.
No amount of defense up, bomb defense up, bomb sniffer, whatever can reduce the damage of a single attack that does more than 100 base damage in the Splatoon series.
That's not quite true. Partial charges can deal over 100 damage, as could Blaster indirects in earlier versions, and Defence could reduce them below 100.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
That's not quite true. Partial charges can deal over 100 damage, as could Blaster indirects in earlier versions, and Defence could reduce them below 100.
He said base damage, as all those methods you've listed (aside from the pre-patched blaster hits) have been boosted by damage up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom