• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I Don't Want To Say I Told You So, But...

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I freakin' called it!

During a thread a while back, I forget when or which thread, I had made a bold prediction. I believe I had said something along the lines of this...

Nintendo will likely respond to the call for playable Octolings from the fan base in the form of an Octo Valley expansion of sorts that will culminate with finally being able to play as Octolings in the multiplayer game. The thought was responded to with a friendly response of, 'Yeah, that would be nice. But Nintendo would never do something like that. It would make too much sense."

I kind of thought the same thing. Nintendo does have a bit of a practice of falling into holding patterns and leaving things to us, the fans, to speculate on and hope for in the future. So I didn't think anything of my brave little suggestion and simply continued on my merry way. I hadn't even thought about that comment until...Hark! What is this? A Nintendo Direct scheduled for the 8th of March that no one saw coming! I wonder what will be included in this batch of Nintendo headlines? Surely they must have some awesome little surprises in store for us since they wanted to keep so tight lipped about the Direct. Let's have a look here.

I watch through the entire Direct, finding myself reacting favorably to the announcements. Loving the idea of getting my hands on Octopath Traveler before the end of the year! Finding myself looking forward to a Mario Tennis game for once since Mario Power Tennis. Still hyped for Kirby: Star Allies. Everything is looking good so far! Then Splatoon 2 comes up. 100 new pieces of gear, nice. Piranha Pit is back, sweet! Camp Triggerfish is back, even sweeter! A whole new stage in the form of a theme park? This is great! April's gonna be a blast! But then the tone shifts. It's subtle at first, but then we see it. An Octoling, awakening in a dank, underground subway like area. Now I'm remembering my old post. Could this be it? Are they finally giving us what we have been asking for? It finally gets to the end of the announcement, and it's finally been confirmed. Lo and behold, friends! Octolings will be playable soon!

To say that I am hyped would be an understatement. I am leaping out of my chair ecstatic! But let's not forget the whole point that I have been building up to. I actually predicted this would happen. Not just that we would get playable Octolings, but that it would come in the form of a paid DLC expansion to Octo Valley that expands on the lore of the world that would culminate in being able to play as an Octoling in the base game. This coming shortly off of accurately predicting the first really big update that brought us the new music and gear pieces. If this is a sign of my prophetic powers, then I must continue to use them for good and not allow myself to be corrupted by the power I wield!

I am happy to see Nintendo doing things that continue to make a better name for themselves. They know that they are on cloud nine with the Switch and they are doing everything that they can to keep their reputation high with their fans. If this kind of thing continues, then who knows? Maybe we'll get an expansion to Super Mario Odyssey that finally allows us to explore Sarasaland and interact with Daisy in a core game! Please Nintendo, please?

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
You have to pay for the Octoling DLC? And here I thought life was worth living.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
This being worth $20 seems fair to me. It's a massive expansion that will add in so much content that, unlike certain game publishers that I can name, was not in the base game to begin with. we aren't just paying for a line of code to unlock this. This is new. It took effort to make and passion for what they are doing. The passion alone is enough for me to want to support the development team! It doesn't hurt that I will end up getting more game, a brand new story, and what was that last thing? Oh yeah, playable Octolings! I couldn't wait to give Nintendo my money for this!

Now if this was already in the game's code and we did just pay for a key essentially, then I will be upset. Not to mention feel a little stupid.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
You should try predicting who gets in Smash 5 as well...
I'm home and ready to preorder the expansion; Pearl and Marina's new costumes are worth $20 alone lol.
Hmm...let's see...considering the amount of support that they got I would not be surprised to see either Shovel Knight or Shantae in the game. This one's a bit of a long shot but it would be nice to see Waluigi graduate from Assist Trophy to playable character just like Little Mac. I am also predicting that Smash Run will be a thing for this version, making it no longer a 3DS exclusive mode. We already know that Inklings will be playable in the game, so it would make sense for there to be an Inkopolis stage with ridiculous amounts of music to play around with. I also think that there will be a New Donk City stage considering the popularity of it in Odyssey. I am also thinking that since Capcom saw fit to give us Mega Man that this time around we will also get another Capcom fan favorite, Zero. I would also not rule out the possibility of Monster Hunter.

Just a few of my thoughts. What do you think?

the

Inkling Commander
Not to derail this thread into exclusively sm5sh predictions, but a spawning grounds stage with rising and lowering tides would be pretty cool

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I'd be down for a Spawning Grounds stage! I do think that Inkopolis is more likely, but maybe we'll get two Splatoon stages! I am also hoping that we get that Rainbow Road stage. The idea that the Rainbow Road stage was a 3DS exclusive stage made me a bit sad.

On another note, considering how many Fire Emblem characters we ended up getting, is anyone else disappointed that not one of them is anything other than a sword fighter? Yes you could make the argument that Robin is a Mage, but s/he still wields a sword. Maybe they could see fit to let us use a spear or an axe fighter this time? Or what about a pure Mage? Tharja is a fan favorite character from the series. Let us play as her! I could even make a case that we should be able to play as Tiki! Maybe a bit OP though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom