• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

I feel Hero Replicas Should Be Buffed

Alphah

Inkling
In my opinion, the Hero Replicas are extremely over rated. I understand you get a new design for the weapon of your choice, but I feel that for all the grinding required, the Hero Replicas should be a bit stronger, maybe a new kit or something. In example the Hero Dualies, I put in the effort to get them, yet I find that they are glorified Splat Dualies! A new special at least would have been nice!! I don't know, tell me what you think.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Having them stronger would make them objectively a better version of another weapon, which is something that would be terrible in an online multiplayer game, and requiring someone to sink hours into replaying the single player to get a different kit would be quite a prick move.

If Splatoon was single player only, yeah, just unlocking a different skin would suck, but it's a multiplayer focused title, so you can't have things like that because it would simply be unfair.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Here's the thing, any given one weapon is not hard to get. All you have to do if beat every level with any one weapon.

Grinding for Hero Weapons is only truly tedious if you're like me and grind for all 9 of them at once. Otherwise, if you're only looking for a specific weapon, easy.

That aside, MINKUKEL is right, this is a multiplayer game, we can't have weapons that are just objectively better, that would just break balance. Hero Weapons exist only to be a badge that you've completed single player with said weapon.

An alternate kit, possibly. Technically Splatoon 1's single player did let us unlock alt kits and even a couple unique weapons with each boss. But they shouldn't be just buffed weapons.

Honestly, I'm fine that they're just skins. I like the vanilla Splat Dualies, so I just use the Hero Dualies.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I just wish the skins were better. Other than the P90 version of the Splattershot, the others are just recolors, and some of them are subtle ones (although some are nice, like the Blaster). I wish they stood out more. It would be nice if they generalized to the alternate kits as well, or even variants (the Hero Blaster's aesthetic could be applied to the Range Blaster, for instance).

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I would argue that the only thing that needs buffing is the Hero Roller's appearance, because that thing sure is ugly! :D

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Hero replicas being buffed?

You’d have to rename the game Paytowin2

Mr Hemulen

Inkster Jr.
Buffing them would be ridiculous. Alt kits would be nice, although im happy with aesthetic improvements. A couple of them look plenty nice. The charger looks way nicer as does the blaster. Hero brella is unimpressive, vanilla much nicer.

I enjoyed the grind. Collector by name collector by nature. I'll grind all day for stuff... no matter how pointless it is.

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah I’d honestly like some aesthetic changes. I went all the way through for the herobrush but then realized I liked the standard octobrush’s old fashioned design more than the glossy coat of paint they put over it lol

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
You guys are forgetting the bragging rights that come with owning Hero Replicas. Especially if you’re like me and actually know how to play most of them, it’s pretty neat to have them.

Also, they mean that you can mess around with the vanilla weapons, and keep the freshness on the Hero versions.

Also also, they give you a standard set of weapons to get good at. Usually in class/character-based shooters I wouldn’t know where to begin, but Splatoon hands you a standard loadout which covers each class in the game - the sole reason that I decided to pick up the Splat Charger today was because it had a hero variant. It’s actually pretty genius if you think about it.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a few changes. Like the ability to change their colors. That sounds like it’d be unquestionably worth the grinding.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You guys are forgetting the bragging rights that come with owning Hero Replicas.
It's not really bragging rights IMO if it's just an investment of time. If it took actual skill to obtain them that'd be one thing, but now it basically shows if someone had some extra hours to spare. I would consider amiibo costumes more of a bragging rights type situation in that case.

I hope there's some unlockables in the Octo expansion that requires some effort to unlock.
Also also, they give you a standard set of weapons to get good at. Usually in class/character-based shooters I wouldn’t know where to begin, but Splatoon hands you a standard loadout which covers each class in the game - the sole reason that I decided to pick up the Splat Charger today was because it had a hero variant. It’s actually pretty genius if you think about it.
IDK, it's already pretty clearly communicated what is the most 'standard' weapon in each class. And even if a player somehow couldn't figure that out, they're in the single player so you don't even have to unlock them to find out. And if anything, the Splattershot, Splat Charger and Blaster might be the most averaged weapons in their class, but they're not exactly the weapons I'd suggest people to start out with in those classes.

MaeAnna

Inkling
Other than generally improving the looks of some of them at most I feel like, if anything, you should be able to choose which kit it has based on what the main weapon itself offers. Take the Hero Roller for example, you could choose if it has the same kit as the vanilla or the krack-on roller. It could then be indicated which kit you have with the special logo, or even a different skin color, like it is already with the non-hero variants.

Makeshift

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rosesarered14
I kinda wish we got the skins of the upgraded versions of the Hero weapons. Like the Splatling for example, when upgraded, the silver part becomes bronze and I, personally, think it looks much nicer. Heck, the bronze coloring is the one reason I wanted the Herobrush; I liked the color of the bristles.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
The thing about the Hero Weapons being differently balanced isn't that they become better and outclass regular weapons, sine everyone has access to them and it's merely time that is required.

It does however throw every non-hero variant into obsolescence basically making them all a waste a time. There are already plenty of weapons/variants that are lacking, no need to go through and make even more obsolete.

Personally, I would have preferred it Halo style where there were only a handful of weapons and the game was balanced around them with a handful of Outliers (Spiker) for flavour rather than having fifty million weapons many of which being totally useless or sleeper OP and otherwise it just being a garbled mess.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The thing about the Hero Weapons being differently balanced isn't that they become better and outclass regular weapons, sine everyone has access to them and it's merely time that is required.

It does however throw every non-hero variant into obsolescence basically making them all a waste a time. There are already plenty of weapons/variants that are lacking, no need to go through and make even more obsolete.

Personally, I would have preferred it Halo style where there were only a handful of weapons and the game was balanced around them with a handful of Outliers (Spiker) for flavour rather than having fifty million weapons many of which being totally useless or sleeper OP and otherwise it just being a garbled mess.
I've been thinking the same lately.

Splatoon is still mostly based and build on a causal playerbase, to keep them invested you need to keep a steady release of new stuff to keep them invested. However, by now the roster is getting fairly bloated and while there are a few interesting newcomers such as the brella, a lot of weapons now feels same-y or gimmicky. However, nobody likes to see weapons gone so it's a tough conundrum to face: Either erase other weapons and make way for new ones, or bloat the roster even further.

I can hope that either some weapons will get removed or rehauled from the roster when S3 comes along.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
DON'T: Buff the Hero Replicas.

DO: Release more Hero Replicas. Like, I want a splatterscope variant.

Kersplat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5078-9288-6108
In my opinion, the Hero Replicas are extremely over rated. I understand you get a new design for the weapon of your choice, but I feel that for all the grinding required, the Hero Replicas should be a bit stronger, maybe a new kit or something. In example the Hero Dualies, I put in the effort to get them, yet I find that they are glorified Splat Dualies! A new special at least would have been nice!! I don't know, tell me what you think.
It would be nice, but Nintendo would have to be very careful so that it's not much of an advantage. I often use the replicas (hero charger) to show I have experience with the weapon and I have worked hard to get it. But that's just me, personally.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Other than generally improving the looks of some of them at most I feel like, if anything, you should be able to choose which kit it has based on what the main weapon itself offers. Take the Hero Roller for example, you could choose if it has the same kit as the vanilla or the krack-on roller. It could then be indicated which kit you have with the special logo, or even a different skin color, like it is already with the non-hero variants.
I kinda wish we got the skins of the upgraded versions of the Hero weapons. Like the Splatling for example, when upgraded, the silver part becomes bronze and I, personally, think it looks much nicer. Heck, the bronze coloring is the one reason I wanted the Herobrush; I liked the color of the bristles.
So... add the hero upgrade skins and make them the alternate kits?

DevZSplatZ

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3481-4223-9626
Honestly I just got my first Hero Replica yesterday (Hero Shot) and I mean I really just got it because it's the only weapon that actually looks like a new weapon than a recolor. After toying around with it I went right back to using my other weapons from the shop.

I'd still like replicas to have at least a small boost over the original versions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom