• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I feel like this is one of the worst days to be a Nintendo fan. :(

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Animal Crossing amiibo Festival Reviews

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/41528/animal-crossing-amiibo-festival-wii-u-review 4.5/10

Witty writing and overall charm can only carry a game so far. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival has those two things in spades, but a barren wasteland of interesting gameplay makes it a party game that falls short of even the earlier 2015 disappointment Mario Party 10. Outside of Desert Escape, nothing else in this package is worth your time unless you are the hardest of the hardcore Animal Crossing fan.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/17/animal-crossing-amiibo-festival-is-a-boring-random-mess/ 33/100

All along, the developers said Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival existed just to justify cute AC Amiibo, and it really shows. It’s almost like Nintendo wouldn’t let the development team release Amiibo without some game attached to them, so they threw together something quickly to justify the figures’ release. It’s easily one of the worst Nintendo titles I’ve played and as a “game” is devoid of merit and doesn’t otherwise justify its existence.

It’s a blatant attempt to get you to buy more Amiibo, and it’s not even a good one at that.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/animal-crossing-amiibo-festival-review/ 30/100

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is the sort of game that should have been free. It holds such little content that is actually interesting that most players will find it a waste of their time to play, especially when the far superior Mario Party series already exists. It is a nice way to actually use those Animal Crossing Amiibo figures that you might feel the need to collect, but their function is so forced that it detracts from the experience rather than enhances it. Few will find anything of value here outside of perhaps one or two of the mini-games, but even those require Amiibo cards in frustrating ways. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival doesn’t offer much of an engaging experience for anyone outside of the most diehard AC fan.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash Reviews

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/18/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-review? hub page U&utm_content=1 4.8/10

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is as stripped-down a Nintendo sports game as I’ve ever played. The absence of modes, unimpressive unlockables, and tiring hook offer very little reason to keep playing. Sure, it’s pretty, but that’s about all it has going for it.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/41534/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-wii-u-review 3.5/10

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash isn't good in the slightest. While the game can be decent in passing, it’s a horrible value when you stop and think about it. There is just one stadium, limited online options and less features than the previous two entries. This is nowhere near the satisfying entry in the series I was hoping for. The elements that they have added result to nothing, which makes the meat on this game's bones extremely thin. Wherever you stand on Mario sports titles, Ultra Smash is not worth your time nor money.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mario-tennis-ultra-smash-review/1900-6416313/ 6/10

Considered as a whole, Ultra Smash does just enough to get by. At moments it shines and at others it frustrates, but mostly it just coasts. Without substantial content to drive longevity, you may end up switching back to Mario Kart sooner than later, but if you're playing online--or better yet, with your friends at home--you'll likely overcome the game's frustrations and squeeze a solid few hours of fun out of its fast-paced, power-up-driven action.

There are more reviews out there but just want to grab a couple of them to get the point across.

I have no idea that THIS was going be Nintendo's holiday line-up. ;_;

I hope Xenoblade Chronicles X will blow away our expectations.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Was there any surprise? We knew these games were going to be complete ****. It doesn't take a lot to figure out that AF was a cashgrab to sell on the AC name, and Mario Tennis is barebones, so barebones the main single player mode was cut, the Tournament Mode. Not only that, the game reuses so many assets such as artwork from non sports games, Mario Kart 8 models, and likely more. It was likely made in less than a year. I am not surprised from these scores.

The only thing left for this year is Xenoblade X and the next year will likely have some great games. They are clearly focusing on the NX and they have abandoned the Wii U. They better get their act soon or they'll lose sales from the NX from ****ed off Wii U buyers such as me.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I have no idea that THIS was going be Nintendo's holiday line-up. ;_;
Nintendo usually relies on their better games of the year to be their holiday games. I'll bet games like Splatoon and Mario Maker will be their main selling points, while stuff like Amiibo Party and Mario Tennis are just there to make it look like they have lots of games ready.

I know Happy Home designer was a big hit in Japan, but I can't see Amiibo Party doing well anywhere. I bet people will want to buy the Animal Crossing Amiibos over the actual game. I don't think many people had faith Amiibo Party would be any good. I know I didn't, I thought it was the lowest point of an already mediocre E3 direct.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I heard from my group that Mario Tennis doesn't even feature a option to play with friends online. Even the online is as basic as it gets! Stay far away from this game or amiibo festival unless you like to burn money!

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Eh. In today's gaming market, it's better to invest in games that have been out a while anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about not having the best holiday line-up if you are still enjoying SSB and Splatoon. I'm hoping they offer some specials on VC games. As much as Ninty loves nostalgia whoring, I'm hoping to pick up a discounted Super Metroid or Paper Mario.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Eh. In today's gaming market, it's better to invest in games that have been out a while anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about not having the best holiday line-up if you are still enjoying SSB and Splatoon. I'm hoping they offer some specials on VC games. As much as Ninty loves nostalgia whoring, I'm hoping to pick up a discounted Super Metroid or Paper Mario.
Amen to that. We kinda don't have much choice but to look back at the old days of grandeur when the current age is ****. Not to say there are no good games to come out of the Wii or Wii U, but Wii U was doomed to fail due to a few things. One of them would be fan reaction to the console. While I don't refer to Game Theory much, MatPat did mention interesting things about what the consumers want, and no big surprise, despite the complaints for 'no innovation'. It's NOT innovation that people want. In the few times that innovation works, it REALLY works. But there is a fine line with that.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and also throw out some facts and logic: I honestly don't think they would hurt if they did lose some customers who are like that. Not everything is meant to be catered to one personally. That's really selfish to think considering there's 7 billion humans besides you. You know the saying: you can't please all of the people all of the time." Well, it's true. No matter what you do, some will whine and be ungrateful. These crap games are probably meant more for kids and maybe younger teens, who won't know to look at it in any more depth than "Yay, I got a game for the holidays I wanted, since I don't have money to get it myself and CHOOSE what to play like adults. I sure am grateful." (unless your kid is a spoiled snot) So they're crappy to adults. So don't buy 'em. Stick to SS, Warriors, MK8, Yoshi, Splatoon, MM, Bayonetta, and others. Wow, almost like there's not other games that aren't crap. Oh wait. If you've been a fan since the 80s/ 90s, you'll know Nintendo has been highly successful overall, and isn't hurting for money or to again, lose a few fans if that happened.

You could argue that they aren't doing well because the Wii U has been out only a few years, and they are already talking about getting the next system out. Well, if you remember one of their conferences, (I think E3 of a recent year) they also stated they wanted to start matching technology with PlayStation and Microsoft instead of lagging behind as usual in performance. I say good, it's about time they did that. Not that they still haven't been fine, but, an upgrade has been due for awhile imo. To 20 and 30 year olds acting a certain way "bye, Felicia! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Because you're forgetting teenagers and kids exist in mass drives that will buy their merchandise. If not systems or games, other things. Plushies, figures, anything else that also counts for their revenue. So yeah, they're not going to exactly cry. I wouldn't. l'd laugh.

TLDR: Yeah, they're crappy, but not everything is about you, and they would still be successful as a whole without some little princesses complaining.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
One of them would be fan reaction to the console. While I don't refer to Game Theory much, MatPat did mention interesting things about what the consumers want, and no big surprise, despite the complaints for 'no innovation'.
The biggest problem with Nintendo in general is that they forget they have a large consumer base outside of Nihonland. They cater so much to their Japanese consumer base and ignore US/EU. That's why there's been so much brouhaha over the Wii/Wii U. US and EU gamers hated its gimmicky nature, but it absolutely destroyed Sony & Xbox in Japan.

Nintendo, I cannot speak for all Americans, but...I want to throw money at you. I really do. Problem is, you've got to meet me half way. You've got to remember there is a non-Japanese fan base who loves and cares about you. Don't shut us out of your life. Don't hurt those who love you with games like Metroid Other M.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Calling this among the worst day of Nintendo's history seems a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, the Wii U is underperforming. Yes, these games being bad doesn't help matters. Yes, they're lagging behind in the specs department, scaring off the 3rd parties Yes, they're not paying attention to their core audience.

But any time I see someone say stuff like this, I can't help but feel that they're being overly hysterical. Two games turn out to be crap and suddenly it's NintenDOOM all over again? Really? Like a couple of mediocre games are gonna bring the company to it's knees.

So they screwed up. They resought the market the Wii won over, and it bit them in the ***. This late in the game, they don't have the opportunity to make a comeback. Do you think they're that incompetent that they won't learn from this?

I dunno, maybe you'll think me an idiot for having so much faith in Nintendo. I just think it's a bit too soon to panic, is all.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Calling this among the worst day of Nintendo's history seems a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, the Wii U is underperforming. Yes, these games being bad doesn't help matters. Yes, they're lagging behind in the specs department, scaring off the 3rd parties Yes, they're not paying attention to their core audience.

But any time I see someone say stuff like this, I can't help but feel that they're being overly hysterical. Two games turn out to be crap and suddenly it's NintenDOOM all over again? Really? Like a couple of mediocre games are gonna bring the company to it's knees.

So they screwed up. They resought the market the Wii won over, and it bit them in the ***. This late in the game, they don't have the opportunity to make a comeback. Do you think they're that incompetent that they won't learn from this?

I dunno, maybe you'll think me an idiot for having so much faith in Nintendo. I just think it's a bit too soon to panic, is all.
I'm talking from a fan perspective. Obviously Nintendo would still make money from this but it's unusual to see Nintendo go out with this as their holiday line-up. November is usually when it's awesome to be a Nintendo fan that's all.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
It's always a great time to be a Nintendo fan if you enjoy their games. A few crappy holiday releases doesn't make Pokemon or Zelda any less fun. "Cash-in" titles are a fact of the video gaming industry. You just ignore those and keep playing games you enjoy until something good comes out. You can't expect every Nintendo release to be a triple platinum best seller blockbuster GotY.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
I think it's wrong to try to justify bad games as "they're bad, but they're meant for kids."

Kids don't like bad games either, believe it or not. Reminds me of...

For the Seinfeld video, I don't see the connection. A muffin top running gag? Love the show, even the silly jokes.

A kid of a younger age won't be able to tell, in depth, what a bad game is. And agsin, what's bad to one is good yo another. A kid won't know what they're talking about. I saw a video of kids of this time, holding game boys. Being unimpressed and very ignorant. Thinking they would shock them because electronic. When us older gamers, know how cool a Gane Boy was back then. They don't understand the value of something.

It's just as wrong as full grown adults complaining about something they don't have to play when there are still many other "good" games from this year and last they can play. Or other consoles, or computer games, or other hobbies in life. I didn't grow up with much, so I learned how to be grateful, and would have had it drilled into me if I wasn't. Drilled meaning spanked, which is thing that is lacking today it seems. Even if you're better iff, always be grateful. That doesn't mean you have to like it, love it, or accept it.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@CM2

I can kinda see what you're getting at. November 2012 the Wii U came out, November 2013 gave us Mario 3D World, November 2014 gave us Smash 4. This year we would be getting Star Fox Zero, but then they delayed it, so we're kinda left hanging.

Still, I don't think it's cause for concern. As I said, it's just two games. If everything from Splatoon till now was as underwhelming as amiibo Party, then I'd say there would be.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
For the Seinfeld video, I don't see the connection. A muffin top running gag? Love the show, even the silly jokes.

A kid of a younger age won't be able to tell, in depth, what a bad game is. And agsin, what's bad to one is good yo another. A kid won't know what they're talking about. I saw a video of kids of this time, holding game boys. Being unimpressed and very ignorant. Thinking they would shock them because electronic. When us older gamers, know how cool a Gane Boy was back then. They don't understand the value of something.

It's just as wrong as full grown adults complaining about something they don't have to play when there are still many other "good" games from this year and last they can play. Or other consoles, or computer games, or other hobbies in life. I didn't grow up with much, so I learned how to be grateful, and would have had it drilled into me if I wasn't. Drilled meaning spanked, which is thing that is lacking today it seems. Even if you're better iff, always be grateful. That doesn't mean you have to like it, love it, or accept it.
Uhm wow. Going off on a tangent a bit huh? Anyway, don't undermine child intelligence. You'd be surprised how smart kids have gotten through the 2000s when it comes to games. They can tell a bad game from a good one from just 'playing it'. Sure they may not be able to pick apart the specific aspects and quarks of games the way many of us teens and young adults can, but that does't mean that they will not know when a game is bad or not. We are in a generation where the gaming medium is much more common place. If you went back to the 90s, or older, the medium of gaming was still developing and people were starting to slowly get into games more. Sure back then kids may of not know games as well and saying that they wouldn't know a good game from a bad one would be a bit more accepted. This is far from true now-a-days.

Also using the example of a old hand held to try and prove how kids may not have a proper understanding of videogames is a old and moot concept now. Sure they don't care about, but that wasn't of their generation. So ****ing what if they were unimpressed by it? Are you so offended by the fact that new gen kids would show no interest in a old gaminig medium we grew up with that you are going to say that's the reason why kids don't know good games when they see them? It's pathetic if you do. I understand that it sucks that kids may never know the joys of our days, but they can make their own through the games they play now, not some nostalgia trip that we never wanna forget. If kids wanna try out something from older times, more power to them but we don't need to shove it down their throat like a lozenge.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Well, December DOES look to be promising with Xenoblade Chronicles X, a game I've heard a bunch of praise so far from folks like Derrick from GameXplain and Chuggaaconroy. I think it can destroy the bad taste November left (although Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon looks promising too, at least from an unexposed-to-Japanese-footage standpoint).

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I wouldn't say this is one of the worst days for Nintendo. They just released two awful games in one month, so what? There's still Xenoblade along with the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Seriously, we all knew this would happen due to all of the negativity both Amiibo Party & Mario Tennis: Ultra Bland had ever since E3. This is Nintendo's fault for thinking these games were good ideas despite having major issues. I mean, both of them were obviously rushed for holiday releases due to lacking tons of content. Since both Zelda U & Star Fox Zero were delayed until next year, these are most likely their replacements for their 'big holiday titles' for November. That is just shameful.

This is why I'm glad I'm only going for games that are actually worth the money and not use it all on two awful Wii U games. If I did, I'd probably be in deep depression like what happened to me with TFH.

These crap games are probably meant more for kids and maybe younger teens, who won't know to look at it in any more depth than "Yay, I got a game for the holidays I wanted, since I don't have money to get it myself and CHOOSE what to play like adults. I sure am grateful." (unless your kid is a spoiled snot)
But kids deserve to play better games than garbage like Ultra Bland. There are kids who are pretty smart when it comes to which games are good or bad. Not all of them are stupid. Why even think they are, though?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
There's still more games to look forward to next year for the Wii U so it's not like this is it. Pokken Tournament, Star Fox, and possibly Zelda U are all coming the next year on top of stuff we don't know about that they're working on and on top of DLC for Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Smash. The Wii U isn't dead yet and two bad games is not the end of it. And there's always indie games you can experience too if you're curious in any of them.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ahuh... I sense a conflict of ideals regarding gratitude (as it were) here.

Ayasha's of the belief that the kids should be glad they're getting a game, quality be damned. Everyone else thinks they "deserve" better.

Here's my two cents: if we're talking about amiibo Party, sure. A poor kid's only getting the game and a single amiibo, so his enjoyment of the game will be limited if he can't get another amiibo. Ultra Tennis, though? It's barebones, sure, but unless it's Action 52-levels of awful then I'd see no reason to complain. If he doesn't like it, well, we live in a world where that stuff can be taken back; get the receipt from Grandma, go to Wal-Mart, hand it back, use the money on something else. If he does like it, great! The game has served its purpose.

I'm the type whose hesitant to say that kids "deserve" good games. Is it preferable that they don't suck? Yes, but to me, deserve only applies to things that they should have, but don't (ie, education or a family). Games aren't that high a priority for me, even if I act like they are.

Am I being too posh in my definitions? Absolutely. But again, this ties into what I said earlier, about you guys overreacting to this. Don't think I'm trying to be a *******, though.

(And for the record, if I was homeless & starving I'd gladly take those muffin stumps.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom