• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I find myself avoiding certain game modes. Yet I want to play ranked.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
Firsly, I would like to state. I'm aware I can play private lobbies to play the mode I want, but I also enjoy playing ranked games, even if rank doesn't isn't anything more than bragging rights. IThis is the exact reason I hardly ever play turf war, even though the concept of that mode is decent.

I log into the game to see what mode and map rotations are currently being run. I mostly enjoy tower control, but I would still play splatzone with varied success. Now in came rainmaker and it's taken me awhile to get used to it, it has been in rotation for like two days and I can't understand why Nintendo are forcing the modes like this. Currently you have to wait four hours for a potential mode change, I will play most of the time, but find I don't want to play that mode constantly for four hours. Nintendo are limiting my gametime, I really enjoy playing ranked, squads.

The game has four modes, three of which appear in ranked. Why can't turf be ranked? 4 hour rotation of three maps, with one mode for each hour. Tower, Turf, Rain and Splat. It keeps the rotation from getting stale and most people playing more. If you don't like a mode, sit out an hour, not four.

Anyone agree with this?

Ascen

Inkling
NNID
ascendtothetop
The concept is alright. I'm one of those people who has fun with all the game modes, so I don't really have a problem with it, but I can understand why others would be less inclined to play. This particularly hinders squads. Squads are usually coordinated teams that focus on that same 4 hour objective, so they can perform the best. With your suggestion, they would have to focus on 4x the game modes over the same 4 hour time period. It can be overwhelming for casual players. There's still an advantage in that they are able to improve their skills in across and not just skills for X map on X game mode. Players will become well rounded. This is also helpful in learning maps, because you will play on the same maps through every game mode, which can help you learn about ways to use maps in every game mode. It's also good for casual players because while it can be overwhelming, it still allows variety and the ability to choose their favorite game mode, essentially.

Dish

Full Squid
NNID
Englannd
It's better to be proficient in all game modes. What if an opportunity to squad up occurs and you want to squad but not familiar with the game mode? It's better to be of use to your team so you can learn and adapt together. Just keep playing and practicing and get advice from your peers if you need help :)

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
I used to hate playing ranked when Splat Zones was up, but I kept playing and I slowly got better at them. Practice really does make perfect when it comes to ranked so just keep playing and you'll eventually git gud.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I completely agree about ranked in that you shouldn't have to play at a set schedule based on Nintendo's time. Nintendo should allow us to choose a mode to play, but I think Nintendo doesn't allow this is because then it would be hard to match you up with other people, particularly when everybody is a specific. You might not find many S players for example if they all were only choosing one mode. I have a feeling that everybody would simply choose Splat Zones if this were the case. So yeah, it's either suck it up or play during Nintendo's time or wait until your preferred mode or find almost nobody if selectable modes were allowed.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Please, for the love of the Squid Sisters, please keep Turf War off ranked. ;)
If anything, 3 or 2 hour rotations would be better.

Inkster Jr.
Firsly, I would like to state. I'm aware I can play private lobbies to play the mode I want, but I also enjoy playing ranked games, even if rank doesn't isn't anything more than bragging rights. IThis is the exact reason I hardly ever play turf war, even though the concept of that mode is decent.

I log into the game to see what mode and map rotations are currently being run. I mostly enjoy tower control, but I would still play splatzone with varied success. Now in came rainmaker and it's taken me awhile to get used to it, it has been in rotation for like two days and I can't understand why Nintendo are forcing the modes like this. Currently you have to wait four hours for a potential mode change, I will play most of the time, but find I don't want to play that mode constantly for four hours. Nintendo are limiting my gametime, I really enjoy playing ranked, squads.

The game has four modes, three of which appear in ranked. Why can't turf be ranked? 4 hour rotation of three maps, with one mode for each hour. Tower, Turf, Rain and Splat. It keeps the rotation from getting stale and most people playing more. If you don't like a mode, sit out an hour, not four.

Anyone agree with this?
Turf mode is not in ranked because at least partially because it hugely favors weapons with good coverage, which is still an important characteristic of weapons in other game modes. All blasters, chargers, and nozzle nose weapons become awful. Rollers and rapids are the only good options. Those weapon categories are limited further. weapons such as the jet squelcher lose their viability. There is very little weapon diversity.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
Tower Control? Sign me up.

Splat Zone? It depends on how smart my teammates are.

Rainmaker?

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers

Anyone agree with this?
And to answer your question, Turf War is really just the Basic mode of the game. All you do is just shoot everywhere. There are some strategies, but not nearly to an extent as the modes I mentioned above. That is why it's not in Ranked Battles; because it requires less strategies.

Anatole

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Anatole-Ostara
Turf war really shouldn't be ranked. It`s not a well rounded mode. It favors a lot certain weapons. I think the rotation is important in ranked. If you want to get a good rank, prove you`re a good player and win in every mode! But I do think it limits a bit the game. The rotation should be every three or two hours. There`s tons of maps and game modes now, four hours on maps or modes you don`t like is too long. I think there should be a new off ranked mode where it also rotates between the modes (rain, tower and zone) but it`s always an mode that is not currently on ranked. So if ranked is rain, this off ranked could be zone or tower. This way you would have something else to do if you don`t wanna play the current ranked mode and it wouldn`t divide the players so much that matchmaking could get hard. This combined with three hours rotation would be enough for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom