• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 I love the new stingray

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
A few days ago I took the Hero Charger into ranked for fun but then I started to get good at holding my charge and jumping off platforms to accommodate for the range and now it's my main weapon. With the new patch the stingray is so so so so much better. The thing I fear is it getting nerfed but at least for now I still get to have it. I know some people say that you can't really get it if you want to pause and locate your enemies but if you use it at choke points people leave immediately. It's a much bigger threat. When I used it on tower control I kill everyone on the tower even if they leave the tower. I just keep shooting and shoot where I expect people to be and I keep getting triple kills with it. It inks turf much better as well (though you never use it for that. I love this "new special" (it's such a change from the trash it was before I call it new) and I run a bunch of special charge up. If anyone else has anything else to say about it I'd like to see it so I can better my use. I see a lot of people with chargers and splatlings now so they're all over. I also saw some people running special power up. I'm pretty sure all it does is increase the time you use it but I don't think that's very beneficial because you end up targeted when you use it and you can't use your main or sub while activated. I find special charge up to be much more effective.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I never thought they could make the stingray likeable, but somehow they did. I am very impressed.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
"When I used it on tower control I kill everyone on the tower even if they leave the tower. I just keep shooting and shoot where I expect people to be and I keep getting triple kills with it."

it was always good at this. it's also good at taking out runaway rainmakers.
but it's nice that it has a bigger place in TW and SZ now.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It's still my least favorite special, but it's definitely worth using now!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
"When I used it on tower control I kill everyone on the tower even if they leave the tower. I just keep shooting and shoot where I expect people to be and I keep getting triple kills with it."

it was always good at this. it's also good at taking out runaway rainmakers.
but it's nice that it has a bigger place in TW and SZ now.
I kind of meant that it's exponentially better at clearing choke points. In tower control before the update people could still stay on or just jump off and back on real quick but now you force them to completely leave the area.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
It finally got a buff and wow.
Its bigger then i expected

It's comparable to the killer wail now in terms of uses imo.
You can briefly shut off a area or clear a occupied choke point.
The mobility on it is not to be underestimated too, i followed quit a few players with the beam until they hit a wall and got splatted.
Or simply use it to force a retreat.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I think I'm speaking for all vanilla / hero charger mains here: Hopefully this will be enough for others to stop telling us to use the Firefin instead if we like the vanilla set better or are genuinely performing better using the vanilla. Like seriously. I'm glad the Stingray got a decent buff at last, getting 2.5 elims on average, 3 on TC, it definitely made the jump from "situational" to "legit viable".

SonnyBlueBalls

Full Squid
NNID
ReaganMcClellan
It needed it. But now i feel a little naughty using it. I main heavy splatling, so its a welcome buff!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I think I'm speaking for all vanilla / hero charger mains here: Hopefully this will be enough for others to stop telling us to use the Firefin instead if we like the vanilla set better or are genuinely performing better using the vanilla. Like seriously. I'm glad the Stingray got a decent buff at last, getting 2.5 elims on average, 3 on TC, it definitely made the jump from "situational" to "legit viable".
I used to main the firefin but then I saw videos of people using the vanilla and how they used the splat bombs and holding a charge and such so I decided to use it and a couple days after I decided to main the hero charger stingray became much more viable. I didn't really use the splash wall all that much cuz you only get 2 shots afterwards maybe 3 if you have abilities but the splat bomb is much more useful for dealing with big groups of people like when people are gunning for the rainmaker or such. Also if I'm in a close call situation and I miss the first shot or two and it's too late I just throw down a bomb and I usually get at least a trade.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
It finally got a buff and wow.
Its bigger then i expected

It's comparable to the killer wail now in terms of uses imo.
You can briefly shut off a area or clear a occupied choke point.
The mobility on it is not to be underestimated too, i followed quit a few players with the beam until they hit a wall and got splatted.
Or simply use it to force a retreat.
you're making me extra sad there is no splash wall + stingray bamboozler to replace the old MK 1

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
It was already good, contrary to popular opinion (if you had skill) but now it's really good.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It was already good, contrary to popular opinion (if you had skill) but now it's really good.
So you're saying casuals and top competitive players alike, who grumbled about this special, all lack skill? Well you just go on with your ridiculously opinionated self then.

For something actually on topic, yes, the sting ray is much improved. Merely increasing the size by more than double is all it took for this special to become a genuine threat. I like where it is now, still being a challenge to control, but with serious power for those who master it. Also, it looks awesome and/or terrifying graphically, depending on what team you're on.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
A few days ago I took the Hero Charger into ranked for fun but then I started to get good at holding my charge and jumping off platforms to accommodate for the range and now it's my main weapon. With the new patch the stingray is so so so so much better. The thing I fear is it getting nerfed but at least for now I still get to have it. I know some people say that you can't really get it if you want to pause and locate your enemies but if you use it at choke points people leave immediately. It's a much bigger threat. When I used it on tower control I kill everyone on the tower even if they leave the tower. I just keep shooting and shoot where I expect people to be and I keep getting triple kills with it. It inks turf much better as well (though you never use it for that. I love this "new special" (it's such a change from the trash it was before I call it new) and I run a bunch of special charge up. If anyone else has anything else to say about it I'd like to see it so I can better my use. I see a lot of people with chargers and splatlings now so they're all over. I also saw some people running special power up. I'm pretty sure all it does is increase the time you use it but I don't think that's very beneficial because you end up targeted when you use it and you can't use your main or sub while activated. I find special charge up to be much more effective.
I really don't. I think it's too good and too hard to avoid. In a Private Battle today I was being shot at and I tried to swim away. I couldn't and got caught up in the beam. THAT should not be a thing. It should be possible to avoid it by swimming. I think a turning speed nerf is completely necessary, either that or the big beam shouldn't get a damage increase, just a size increase.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well you were swimming WITH the Sting Ray, of course it kept up with you. It's better to move in the opposite direction that the ray is being aimed, then the opponent has to waste time cancelling and re-acquiring you.

Luminario

Full Squid
I really don't. I think it's too good and too hard to avoid. In a Private Battle today I was being shot at and I tried to swim away. I couldn't and got caught up in the beam. THAT should not be a thing. It should be possible to avoid it by swimming. I think a turning speed nerf is completely necessary, either that or the big beam shouldn't get a damage increase, just a size increase.
The beam does only get a size increase, I'm pretty sure the damage it deals stays the same. It still has obvious setbacks: turning is difficult, you have to hold the beam for 1.5 seconds for the big beam, doesn't cover turf that well at all, and you have to leave the front line or risk being flanked. Being killed by the beam while you're in an inconvenient spot means the special is doing its job, in open areas it's super easy to just swim through the beam in the opposite way it's turning and only take like 20 damage.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
The beam does only get a size increase, I'm pretty sure the damage it deals stays the same.
Actually, it kills in 4 hits at full power, where it would kill at 6 otherwise.

finnaggann

Inkling
so I found the sting ray to be decent on the sloshing machine before the buff, but that weapon basically excels at crowd control and getting more tools for a strategy tends to work well in splatoon. I never liked it on any other weapon, and it certainly was only useful in certain situations, but walling off choke points is powerful, especially if you are hyper aware of what is around you, and can respond to enemies goning multiple routes. This buff was probably called for because on most weapons sting ray was an inferior special, but its buff was really only an improvement to my strategy on one weapon, and not a game changer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom