• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 I need help: skipping by 10 in S+

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I feel like I’ve hit a plateau. I’ve skipped in S+ only once by 2 and otherwise it’s just been 1 1 1 1 all the way to about 10-15 for all my ranks. I know it’s cuz my win rate is really bad. I usually have 2 to 3 cracks before I rank up.

I just don’t know what to do anymore. Are there any pros here with tips? I’m kinda getting down in the dumps and can’t think straight.

I usually use Tentatek/Slosher/Splat Charger depending on the mode, for context.

Guileless87

Inkling
NNID
Guileless87
Switch Friend Code
SW-3142-0960-5240
Hi mercenariez. I'm trying to Rank up too, myself. What are some of the areas that you think you need help in? Like are you dying in a certain situation or encounter? Maybe you could find out and go from there.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Not the advice you're looking for, I know, but I'm inclined to say that you shouldn't worry about skipping ranks or ranks in general in S+, since you're always a few losing matches away from dropping to S+ 0 no matter what. The best guess that I've seen says that rank skipping involves consistently winning. Beyond that, I don't know enough about you, your gear, or your playstyle to really say anything.

Mrsupersonic711

Inkling
NNID
Sonic-711
Switch Friend Code
SW-3173-9534-5325
Actually... I may have founded the formula. You would have to fill up the S+ bar with no cracks 2 times at least to get a big number skip. The more you fill it up with no cracks, the faster you rank up. And sooner or later, you'll hit S+50!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Actually... I may have founded the formula. You would have to fill up the S+ bar with no cracks 2 times at least to get a big number skip. The more you fill it up with no cracks, the faster you rank up. And sooner or later, you'll hit S+50!
Except I skipped 10 the other day with 2 cracks and 9 with 1 crack. Back to the drawing board! :D

Mrsupersonic711

Inkling
NNID
Sonic-711
Switch Friend Code
SW-3173-9534-5325
Skipping numbers with 1 crack is a possibility. Just don't screw up.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Seems you gotta have a reputation. I've never skipped and had times where I knocked out 9 times out of 10 on zones and ranked up with no cracks but still only went up by 1. Power levels in the 2000s but I used to just be able to maintain ranks for the most part so the only ranks I've skipped were from C- to B-

Jon914

Pro Squid
The only part we know (this was stated in an interview), is that your hidden power level has to exceed a certain threshold to skip. Even with a less than pristine record, if you're over that threshold, you will still skip.

You have to consistently win a lot of games to raise your power enough to get to that point.

If you're taking 10 wins to fill a bar, you're not going to skip. That's an indicator that your hidden power is on-par for your rank.

Last edited:

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
The only part we know (this was stated in an interview), is that your hidden power level has to exceed a certain threshold to skip. Even with a less than pristine record, if you're over that threshold, you will still skip.

You have to consistently win a lot of games to raise your power enough to get to that point.

If you're taking 10 wins to fill a bar, you're not going to skip. That's an indicator that your hidden power is on-par for your rank.
Do you have a link to that interview?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Get yourself some lucky dice.

Seriously, that's all you can do. No indications have been explained about rank skipping. And it seems extremely inconsistent.

Or just play solo like I do and try to get S+ 50 by going up 1 by 1

Jon914

Pro Squid
I've been soloing a lot this past week on my main and an alt. On the alt (which was "A"), I was unable to skip despite the following conditions:

- Filled the bar in 7 straight KO victories. Some wins were huge fills.
- Had the best K/D in almost all matches.
- Lobbies were 1800-1850 in A. If 1900+ lobbies exist, I did not get them but should have been qualified to get them.

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
So I've been soloing a lot this past week on my main and an alt. On the alt (which was "A"), I was unable to skip despite the following conditions:

- Filled the bar in 7 straight KO victories. Some wins were huge fills.
- Had the best K/D in almost all matches.
- Lobbies were 1800-1850 in A. If 1900+ lobbies exist, I did not get them but should have been qualified to get them.

No skip. What more does the system want?
you can't skip to S. You may skip from C- to A+ then no skip during S or to S. Then once in S+ you can skip

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
you can't skip to S. You may skip from C- to A+ then no skip during S or to S. Then once in S+ you can skip
You can definitely skip from A to S as well as skip from S to S+9 (max).

From what Jon said and from other posts I’ve read I’m assuming skipping mostly has to do with Power over all the other factors.

My best guess is, as people have said, there’s a threshold for each rank (even in S+) that has to be surpassed in order to skip. Which means skipping is RNG (“matchmaking RNG”) dependent.

I’ve gotten a lot better since I made this post and win usually 70-80% of my matches now. Yet sometimes when I win more and get the most kills I don’t skip, but when I have very few kills and a lower win rate I still somehow manage to skip. The most convincing explanation in my eyes is this occurs because my Power is either below or above that threshold upon the bar filling.

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I've started playing in lobbies above the 2000's for quite some time now and in the 2100's for zones and have ranked up several times with no skip and with only like one crack. I've just come to understand that I won't be skipping any ranks so I'm just on my way to 50 1 by 1. The only ranks I ever skipped were from C- to B- so maybe if the game stops you from skipping ranks before S+ you can't skip ranks in S+ or it'll be like really hard to do so or something. There have been times where I ranked up from S and S+ ranks with no cracks and a bunch of knockouts but no luck...

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I've started playing in lobbies above the 2000's for quite some time now and in the 2100's for zones and have ranked up several times with no skip and with only like one crack. I've just come to understand that I won't be skipping any ranks so I'm just on my way to 50 1 by 1. The only ranks I ever skipped were from C- to B- so maybe if the game stops you from skipping ranks before S+ you can't skip ranks in S+ or it'll be like really hard to do so or something. There have been times where I ranked up from S and S+ ranks with no cracks and a bunch of knockouts but no luck...
Might be not enough Power gain each bar, although, it's not like we can see it to get an idea of where we’re at XD #thanksnintendo

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Apparently you can. This guy did.
https://squidboards.com/threads/your-fresh-moments-in-splatoon-2.30394/page-10#post-251919

I've soloed some more. I have won 17 games of Tower Control in a row, almost all by KO. A good bunch I *never* died and/or splatted the most in the lobby. It's now settling above 1800 matches again in the A's. (my prior post was in zones)

Nope, no skip. I give up on figuring this out.
Actually if you look at the picture he had a roller then you look at the specials on the winning team, knowing it has splashdown. Both people with splashdown were A+. I'm pretty sure it's in an official statement in the game or online that you may only skip between C- to A+ and then S+0 to S+50.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I think rank skipping has something to do with the little shine you get on your weapon if you're doing really well. Last night in ranked I started noticing a little glint effect that would appear on my gun when the game started. This only started once I had won ~10 games in a row with high KDA's in all of them. I suspect that this has something to do with skipping.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I feel like I’ve hit a plateau. I’ve skipped in S+ only once by 2 and otherwise it’s just been 1 1 1 1 all the way to about 10-15 for all my ranks. I know it’s cuz my win rate is really bad. I usually have 2 to 3 cracks before I rank up.

I just don’t know what to do anymore. Are there any pros here with tips? I’m kinda getting down in the dumps and can’t think straight.

I usually use Tentatek/Slosher/Splat Charger depending on the mode, for context.
Sorry to say this to you but using meta weapons will help. Tentatek isn’t meta in my opinion, because of the Inkjet being only a mediocre sub, but that’s debatable.
Splatlings are great for Splat Zones, and Weapons that have Splashdown and Baller because they can cover most of the zone. Common shooters are also good here because they can cover fast.
Blasters are good at a Tower Control, because their Blasts cover all of or most of the whole tower.
Really any good fighting weapon can be good at Rainmaker, but weapons with a start up time (Dynamo, Chargers, Splatlings) tend to struggle because they can’t pop the shield very fast.
Ink brush and Octobrush are both probably the best weapons you can have in a Clam Blitz, because you can zoom around the map. People say the Forge is good for the Bubbles, and they can help protect you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom