• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I Really Hope 'Splatdashing' Isn't An Effective Strategy.

The Derrit

Inkling
This is 'Splatdashing.' Supposedly it makes you move a little faster and spread ink while being harder to hit. It doesn't look very useful, but just in case it is...

I hope it doesn't see the light of day in the full version. I get that everyone's going to go on an advanced tech witch-hunt the same way they have since Brawl was released, but let's learn how to play the game properly before trying to find 'unintended competitive mechanics' eh? Have fun with the game before break it. You'll be better for it in the long run.

Do people agree/disagree with this sentiment? Would you rather this be a game where unusual ideas and mechanics like this are required to win, or one where shooting and strategy are more important?

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Some people enjoy delving down and finding neat things like this and that. It's fun for them as well, kind of like taking apart an old computer to learn about it.

Don't worry about the game "devolving", shooters are all about teamwork and strategy, tech skill is just icing on the cake.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
It'd be one thing if this was a glitch or exploit (see:Wavedashing, which would've been patched out if Melee wasn't over a decade old), but it's just a trick for moving around faster, on top of that, only like 2 or 3 weapons out of the entire selection can actually use this effectively.

I don't see how this threatens the future of Splatoon, especially since you'll probably only pull it off at the start of the match or when making it across areas that haven't been painted yet (also very early in the match)

On top of that, you can beat this by
  1. Shooting in the area that they're heading and cutting them off
  2. Having a bomb explode in their direction
  3. Hitting them while they're in squid form- are they shooting at you? No? They're vulnerable.
This isn't invincible or unbeatable, and we'll probably find something better not even a week after the game releases. Nothing to be afraid of.

EDIT: omg i thought this was talking about splatterhopping
this AT looks dumb lmao

Last edited:

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
At best it's a mobility tool akin to modern fps sprinting. and worst it's a charging forward while shooting option. It will only really be useful on splatterguns with high damage per shot numbers

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Shooters and Fighters are two very different beasts, I can't foresee any certain technique dominating competitive play like wavedashing and the likes dominate Melee, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
People will not stop using "techs" because others are unsatisfied. I am not a fan of them and I would prefer to play the game as intended by the developers, but if those "techs" are proven to be useful, I will have no choice other than learn them. It is the sad reality.

Smooth Criminal

Full Squid
It'd be one thing if this was a glitch or exploit (see:Wavedashing, which would've been patched out if Melee wasn't over a decade old).
Sigh. Wavedashing is a byproduct of Melee's engine that was intentionally left in by Sakurai and Co. mid-development. Source: A Nintendo Power article on the matter, said straight from the mouth of Sakurai himself, not to mention countless other instances that corroborate this.

At any rate, as Wispy said, some people enjoy playing the game like that. If you don't, well, then good for you! Plenty of Internet to go around for everyone, after all. It's a spacious hemisphere to accommodate all types. Games are meant to be played; whatever stricture/structure imposed on it is left for the player to decide.

(As long as you're not hacking the **** like a lame-o. Or crashing the game in the middle of a match. Or making it completely unplayable. Et cetera.)

Personally, I'll play the game however I want to play it. If people discover cool little nuances along the way, or if I find something that works, I'll use 'em as I see fit.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Snowboar

Full Squid
NNID
Snowboar
It might be slightly better on very rare occasions, like trying to jump from "rooftop" to "rooftop" but it's pretty much a waste of time that could have been used racking your score up by spraying terrain while doing the exact opposite (spray, dive in to move faster pop out and do it again) no jumping involved

IrisZ

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
I sorta just watched the video with skeptical eyes. I don't see how it's too useful
If anything, I wish they named it something else lol. Not splatdancing :L

I personally thought the game was so immersive and big that techs aren't really necessary for the game, but to each their own o.o

Lefty

Nice la~
I don't know, doesnt seem too useful. The only part of the video I saw it being useful was at around 0:56, where he quickly covered a small area and kept moving. And even then, I think that wouldnt even be a "splatdash", but just doing something normal in the game.

Last edited:

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
It doesnt look all that useful based on that video though that may be just because they werent doing it that well. Im fine with advanced tech though.

Geistbox

Full Squid
This only seems remotely useful if you already have a track laid down for you. The part where they try to use it on covered enemy territory was too flimsy and made it look like they were hiding the inefficiency of it.

DingDongMcDork

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DingDong
From the videos I've seen and by testing it myself it seems very slightly faster but covers a lot less ink, which is really bad. The only reason you would use it over just firing while walking is if there already was ink on the ground, but then you just swim...
So yeah, I just think people just want to find tech to badly and just take everything they see for a new tech...

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Honestly it's very uncommon for any sort of 'techs' to find their way into any big shooters. Like I've played so many and it's so rare they're ever useful, albeit movement related exploits tend to be the most commonly used if any so you never know. However just looking at Splatoon the Splatdash thing doesn't look like it'll be useful beyond gimmick plays in casual matches, the game just isn't geared in a way that it can prove too useful. I mean there isn't even a meta yet either so it's likely if it does become a thing it'll quickly be countered with a simple setup.

I mean honestly though that's a general statement about shooters in general, this technique looks like a more complicated version of moving forward and shooting. It honestly seems completely useless in comparison to the normal mechanics.

Last edited:

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
This is really lame
He just tried inventing the next thing
The name isn't even original
Maybe this is a joke... This is very uneffective and it makes me dizzy the screen goes in and out nonstop
Anyway inking a path to distance swimming in it and then repeating once gotten to the end of it is much much more effective

This is either a joke or either just an idiot that tried being cool in a very unoriginal way

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom