• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Idea for new ability: Viscous Ink (plus some musing on abilities)

mutantmagnet

Inkster Jr.
I'm now getting close to 200 hours on Splat2 and it's only recently I've put serious thought into my inventory.

I want to thank all those who contributed so much so far to the Splatoon wiki because Nintendo EAD dropped the ball on how certain information was presented.

If the rules for various abilities were clearer I think I would see less mistakes being made among players clearly putting an effort into their ability builds.

If EAD provided a way to look at inventory without loading up the equip inventory section or talking to spike we would get a better handle of what we have and what we should be gearing for next.

Right now I created a reference sheet by hand and it's the only way I've made ability management tolerable. There are so many build possibilities but the tools to understand them and plan them out in game are poor.

I hope in Splatoon 3 they start addressing this because it will benefit both enthusiasts and newcomers.

I especially hope that overtime they get really creative with new stackable abilities. Aside from cold blooded, ink resist, quick jump and bomb defense the majority of abilities are fairly predictable and aside from sub power in that group don't spice up the game enough.

Here is an example of how different the stackable ability could be without needing to be a unique effect like the non stacking abilities are.

Viscous Ink

Decreasing viscosity allows your ink to scatter and spread more quickly. More ink will drop along the arc and slide down walls and slopes.

So VI will have 3 far reaching effects.

Effect 1
When you shoot ink into the air you can expect more ink to reach the ground below the travel path.

This allows chargers and blasters to shoot at more elevated angles and still effect areas on the ground that normally wouldn't get inked after a severe enough angle.

Effect 2
More ink will slide down walls.

This will effect dualies and splatter guns the most because normally when you want to climb a wall you have to shoot vertically. This makes your approach to the top very predictable. With enough points stacked you can shoot a surface horizontally once or at most twice and have a much wider area to climb up from.

Effect 3

Effects 1 and 2 combined also mean with enough points stacked (let's say 36 minimum) the ink can drip over the opposite wall side you can't see thus hurting an opposing player ability to climb up a wall you can't directly see.

With a lower amount of points the impact of VI can be felt acutely on maps with slopes and curves like skatebelly.

The game is a lot of fun and it is quite deep and I hope it evolves by removing some of the obtuse barriers so they can introduce more cool stuff to play around with.

Last edited:

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Um.

Viscous means that a liquid flows slow i.e. most dishsoap is more viscous than water, so wouldn't the ink need to be less viscous?

Cool idea though!

mutantmagnet

Inkster Jr.
Um.

Viscous means that a liquid flows slow i.e. most dishsoap is more viscous than water, so wouldn't the ink need to be less viscous?

Cool idea though!
A misunderstanding on my part. Technically should've been Fluid Ink or reword the description. Thanks.

Last edited:

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
How about a new special that shoots/bombs paint thinner? It wipes out all the ink and splats anybody, even teammates. Makes a dead zone. So you have to be careful where you throw it.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
How about a new special that shoots/bombs paint thinner? It wipes out all the ink and splats anybody, even teammates. Makes a dead zone. So you have to be careful where you throw it.
I don't like that idea because it sounds like the perfect griefing/friendly fire tool. You could potentially lose a whole game because of a bad teammate's negligence.

Reactions: the

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
@mutantmagnet glad to see someone else interested in faking for Spla2n! Feel free to check this out! https://squidboards.com/threads/enperrys-splatoon-2-fakes.33585/
I dig it. While we're making stuff up, how about customizable gear? Say, as a special reward for completing some task or tasks in the single player mode, you could make your own set of gear. They probably wouldn't let you pick the sub abilities outright, but you could pick the brand and the main ability too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom