• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ideal Abilities for a Dynamo Roller?

KokillueRus

get MEMED on squiddo
NNID
DusKoki
So I've recently picked up the Dynamo Roller, but the only problem is, is that I have no idea what set to run. Here's the set I've been running:

(I've been trying to reroll the shoes and the shirt, but I definitely need a replacement x: )

I know I should have a few Ink Saver Mains and Damage Ups on (Maybe some Swim Speed Ups for more mobility), but besides that, I'm not too sure on what else. Any recommendations for what my main abilities should be? Or sub abilities? Any particular shirts or brands I should go for also? Any help is greatly appreciated. ^^

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Tenacity, cold blooded and ink resistance up for the main abilities, work well for all your basic roller needs. Ink savor main is really good. Specail duration up is amazing. Specail charge up or saver are nice, and everyone can appreciate some swim speed ups.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
ink saver (main) is an absolute no brainer. besides increasing the amount of times you can flick before depleting (from 6 to 7), it also increases the amount of ink you can flick from a depleted tank and you're desperate to fight someone back. It's one of the most important abilities for Dynamo probably. Its little cousin, Ink refill, is not as useful because the difference is marginal, but you can still make use of it.

Cold-blooded is really good and is my personal favorite on shirts, but you don't technically need it if the rank/group of people you play in never uses echolocation. Alternatively you can make use of ninja squid, but Dynamos are not thaaat hugely invested in close ranged sneakiness and the swim speed penalty is pretty cruel, so take that as you will.

Ink resist is HUGELY important on dynamo. Every single bit of mobility you can retain is crucial. Do not wear any shoes that don't have ink resist. You will have a worse time without it.

Damage ups are the next big thing, as they allow you to increase the effective range at which you more reliably OHKO without RNG screwing you over (explanation is a little bit long on that one, I can elaborate if you wish).

Tenacity is pretty good in itself, I don't think it's a necessity on the Dynamo though. Your vanilla special charge rate far surpasses what Tenacity usually give you and if you're playing good you'll mostly prevent your teammates' deaths anyway. Can still be a good asset if you're the carry train anyway.

Special Duration Up is trash on Dynamos. On the normal Dynamo you extend the duration of Echolocation for maybe very few seconds which you will barely ever need (you either already killed the people concerning you or they fled to safety), and that's not accounting for the people who use Cold Blooded anyway. On the Gold Dynamo, it's literally worthless because it doesn't affect the Inkstrike in any way except it gives you more time to choose a location (which you will never need). Don't bother with that.

There's also more abilities that a Dynamo slightly benefits from more than others that I listed in my absurdly long Dynamo guide, but overall it's pretty much just flavor and personal preference and likely doesn't influence the outcome of your match all that much. Only the above give you a serious edge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

ink saver (main) is an absolute no brainer. besides increasing the amount of times you can flick before depleting (from 6 to 7), it also increases the amount of ink you can flick from a depleted tank and you're desperate to fight someone back. It's one of the most important abilities for Dynamo probably. Its little cousin, Ink refill, is not as useful because the difference is marginal, but you can still make use of it.
this

Ink Saver Main is a godsend on the Dynamo Roller. Since Ink Saver Main does not have diminishing returns unlike most abilities, its best to put it on your sub ability slots.

Tenacity is pretty good in itself, I don't think it's a necessity on the Dynamo though. Your vanilla special charge rate far surpasses what Tenacity usually give you and if you're playing good you'll mostly prevent your teammates' deaths anyway. Can still be a good asset if you're the carry train anyway.

Special Duration Up is trash on Dynamos. On the normal Dynamo you extend the duration of Echolocation for maybe very few seconds which you will barely ever need (you either already killed the people concerning you or they fled to safety), and that's not accounting for the people who use Cold Blooded anyway. On the Gold Dynamo, it's literally worthless because it doesn't affect the Inkstrike in any way except it gives you more time to choose a location (which you will never need). Don't bother with that.
You could always use Special Charge Up. It helps you set off Echolocators more often during a match while instantly refilling your ink tank more often. For the Gold Dynamo, it lets you set off Inkstrikes more often.

There's also more abilities that a Dynamo slightly benefits from more than others that I listed in my absurdly long Dynamo guide, but overall it's pretty much just flavor and personal preference and likely doesn't influence the outcome of your match all that much. Only the above give you a serious edge.
If you use the Sprinkler a lot, Ink Saver Sub might be worth looking into. Same with Splat Bombs for the Gold Dynamo, You can also use Bomb Range Up with the Gold Dynamo so you can deal with chargers better.

Overall,

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
Ink Resistance Up (x1 Main)
Ink Saver Main (x3-9 Subs)

IMPORTANT
Damage Up (x1-2 Main)
Ink Refill Up (x3-6 Subs)

Cold-Blooded, Ink Saver Sub, Bomb Range Up and Special Charge Up are other options

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
See sig. Very rarely do I drop below 60 in A+. Thinking about trying something else besides quick respawn (another special charge up) but I probably won't.

Cold Blooded is unnecessary for Dynamo IMO. You're not exactly the most stealthy of sorts flicking giant waves of ink. Damage Up is pretty strong for Dynamo but eh.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
See sig. Very rarely do I drop below 60 in A+.
You and me both buddy

Thinking about trying something else besides quick respawn (another special charge up) but I probably won't.
I'm actually using Quick Respawn, Comeback and Special Saver on the more kill heavy Tower Control (set: 5-panel cap (Zekko), Basic Tee (Squidforce), Red Hi-Tops (Krak-On)). Actually works pretty well. Give it a shot

Cold Blooded is unnecessary for Dynamo IMO. You're not exactly the most stealthy of sorts flicking giant waves of ink. Damage Up is pretty strong for Dynamo but eh.
Echolocation is absolutely atrocious if you actually want to push somewhere in without getting countered at the first opportunity, and unnecessarily forces you into a defensive stance for the duration. Also if you forget that enemies see your exact direction, immediate location and location on the map and you don't work around that, you're as good as toast. Echolocation gives such an absurd informational advantage that I feel taking that variable out of the game for the cost of a main gear slot makes things much simpler. Obviously it's pointless if nobody uses Echolocation in the first place, so on the Special weapon deprived Tower Control it's weaker (weapons with point sensors are rare and nobody in their right mind uses Haunt), but having the security is nice on splat zones and on turf wars (though in the latter 90% of players don't know how to capitalize on echolocation anyway).

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I prefer using Ninja Squid for my shirts. Cold blooded in my opinion is only useful when ink coverage is no in our favor and the opponents are waiting in their hiding spots. Besides that, echolocator never really bothers me and thus, I don't use cold blooded. I use ninja squid because it pretty much gaurantees I win most 1v1 situations. This is mostly because when you turn into a squid and swim away, opponents will keep on shooting at the spot where you dissapeared. No, it isn't lower rank play, I am A+, so I obviously play in A lobbies. I have to agree that ink saver is extremely useful. I really do like it.

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
Ink Saver (Main) is always a good ability, so I recommend that strongly.
Ninja Squid isn't very effective on a Dynamo Roller, but Cold Blooded is a much better alternative in this case, so I would use that.
Ink Resistance is always good on Rollers, so that works pretty well.
Opening Gambit and Last Ditch Effort, while not exactly the best, are fun to play with, so there's that.
Quick Super Jump and Stealth Jump are effective, too.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Echolocation is absolutely atrocious if you actually want to push somewhere in without getting countered at the first opportunity, and unnecessarily forces you into a defensive stance for the duration. Also if you forget that enemies see your exact direction, immediate location and location on the map and you don't work around that, you're as good as toast. Echolocation gives such an absurd informational advantage that I feel taking that variable out of the game for the cost of a main gear slot makes things much simpler. Obviously it's pointless if nobody uses Echolocation in the first place, so on the Special weapon deprived Tower Control it's weaker (weapons with point sensors are rare and nobody in their right mind uses Haunt), but having the security is nice on splat zones and on turf wars (though in the latter 90% of players don't know how to capitalize on echolocation anyway).
I find myself once a session where I wished I had Cold Blooded. I almost always have echolocator out as it is so I see where they are when they're approaching anyways.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I find myself once a session where I wished I had Cold Blooded. I almost always have echolocator out as it is so I see where they are when they're approaching anyways.
Ah well, didn't consider that own Echolocation counters Echolocation, that makes sense actually. It's better on the Gold then (I main Gold, haven't touched vanilla in ages actually). Still, having an air of surprise and mitigating predictability is important on the Dynamo regardless and any effort towards that goal is important. A predicted Dynamo is a dead Dynamo. As said, usefulness of cold blooded largely depends on echolocation prevalence, but it's a reliable safety net

Opening Gambit and Last Ditch Effort, while not exactly the best, are fun to play with, so there's that.
The only redeeming quality of Last-Ditch Effort is that it's on the "Deal with it" sun glasses

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Ah well, didn't consider that own Echolocation counters Echolocation, that makes sense actually. It's better on the Gold then (I main Gold, haven't touched vanilla in ages actually). Still, having an air of surprise and mitigating predictability is important on the Dynamo regardless and any effort towards that goal is important. A predicted Dynamo is a dead Dynamo.

The only redeeming quality of Last-Ditch Effort is that it's on the "Deal with it" sun glasses
I would recommend trying out vanilla again with special charge up. It's very rare you run out of ink with that thing. I switched off of Gold awhile ago and fell in love with the thing.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I would recommend trying out vanilla again with special charge up. It's very rare you run out of ink with that thing. I switched off of Gold awhile ago and fell in love with the thing.
Splat bombs are so nice in combination though because they perfectly complement the Dynamo's shortcomings in terms of combat, and I just can't deal with sprinklers because [CONTROVERSIAL OPINION INCOMING] the sprinkler is one of the most pointless sub weapons in the game, especially on the dynamo (since the main weapon does everything a sprinkler does, but faster, larger and more efficient). I like the Gold's offensive utensils.

But yeah, I've been meaning to give the vanilla another ride for quite some time and maybe grind it up to 999k points. good thing I won the last splat fest so I can craft myself some special charge up gear. What's your recommendation? 2 subs? 1 main slot? 4 subs? 2 mains?

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Splat bombs are so nice in combination though because they perfectly complement the Dynamo's shortcomings in terms of combat, and I just can't deal with sprinklers because [CONTROVERSIAL OPINION INCOMING] the sprinkler is one of the most pointless sub weapons in the game, especially on the dynamo (since the main weapon does everything a sprinkler does, but faster, larger and more efficient). I like the Gold's offensive utensils.

But yeah, I've been meaning to give the vanilla another ride for quite some time and maybe grind it up to 999k points. good thing I won the last splat fest so I can craft myself some special charge up gear. What's your recommendation? 2 subs? 1 main slot? 4 subs? 2 mains?
1 main (3 subs). I disagree on sprinkler. It's useful in splat zones and tower control as you can toss one out while swimming to the location you need to get to. I agree that splat bombs are great, but echolocator allows you to immediately begin charging your special again which makes the Dynamo just that much better (both due to charging special again immediately as well as allowing you to play it like the killing machine it is). The great thing about this game though is that all the subs are useful and lets you play how you want.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
1 main (3 subs). I disagree on sprinkler. It's useful in splat zones and tower control as you can toss one out while swimming to the location you need to get to. I agree that splat bombs are great, but echolocator allows you to immediately begin charging your special again which makes the Dynamo just that much better (both due to charging special again immediately as well as allowing you to play it like the killing machine it is). The great thing about this game though is that all the subs are useful and lets you play how you want.
Yeah I'm talking in hyperbole, the sprinkler does have its uses overall, I just think it's a bad fit on the dynamo for the aforementioned reasons. Also, an eternal hail-down of (well-placed) Inkstrikes is at least as baller as never-ending Echo (probably more anxiety inducing on the enemy because of war flashbacks, thus demoralizing and tilt inducing. believe me, it's science)

D

Deleted Member

You can't really touch chargers with the standard Dynamo though.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Meh, I guess you should use cold blooded depending if you are crippled by echo locator or not.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Yeah I'm talking in hyperbole, the sprinkler does have its uses overall, I just think it's a bad fit on the dynamo for the aforementioned reasons. Also, an eternal hail-down of (well-placed) Inkstrikes is at least as baller as never-ending Echo (probably more anxiety inducing on the enemy because of war flashbacks, thus demoralizing and tilt inducing. believe me, it's science)
The difference is your special immediately begins charging whenever you pop echo. With Inkstrike you're vulnerable for minimum 5 seconds. If you have to retreat to fire it you're out of the fight for even longer. More time on top of that if you use it at a poor time and get killed.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
The difference is your special immediately begins charging whenever you pop echo. With Inkstrike you're vulnerable for minimum 5 seconds. If you have to retreat to fire it you're out of the fight for even longer. More time on top of that if you use it at a poor time and get killed.
I remember when I first started using Inkstrikes on Gold after switching from vanilla. always doing it in the middle of the battle field, immediately realizing "wait, I can't do tha-" *splat*

but yeah, that's a point I'm aware of (and actually adressed in the dynamo guide).

just tested around and can confirm special charge up is dope on dynamo, at least vanilla. Coincidentally I just rolled a camo layered LS (main: special charge up; brand: squidforce) with 2 damage subs and 1 special charge up sub. My ability rolling luck is out of control

Duster

Inkster Jr.
How much does Damage Up help? I mean it's normally a OHKO but if you're at a further distance away can it still OHKO? If so, how many subs would be ideal? I'm currently using Ink Resistance Up, In Savers (Main) and Ink Recovery Up.

EDIT: What's vanilla?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
If you're using the normal Dynamo Roller and like to place offensive Sprinklers, then I recommend Ink Saver (Sub) and/or Ink Refill Up so you can place them in offensive locations and then keep inking and killing. Ink Saver (Sub) could be useful for the Gold Dynamo Roller but Splat Bombs don't nearly use AS much of the ink tank as Sprinklers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom