• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

If there will be DLC maps for Splatoon what maps would you want?

Spencer

Inkling
NNID
GameSerpent
If Nintendo does DLC maps for Splatoon I feel like one or two maps from Super Mario Sunshine would be PERFECT. I think Delfino Plaza or Ricco Harbor would be great maps to have due to Super Mario Sunshine's premise basically being, well paint.

What about you guys? What DLC maps would you want for Splatoon if they do any?

*Edit* Ah, I seem to have posted this in the wrong section or at least I think. I believe this belongs in General Discussion, but I could be wrong.

Kumatora

Inkling
NNID
ChieSatonaka
Ooh, I like the idea of a Nintendo-themed DLC map pack. Since several of the Animal Crossing devs worked on the game, it'd be awesome to have a couple different Animal Crossing maps, although it'd probably just end up being a sort of theme since Animal Crossing doesn't have any set levels. Sunshine maps like Delfino Plaza would be really cool too.

Cloudy Venom

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Cloudyvenom
Yeah Delfino plaza definitely, that song is too good but if we're taking Nintendo themes then what about Metroid? I need my Metroid fix XD

VZ_Blade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jefferson1234
I would like to see something that's Sunshine related.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Ooh, I like the idea of a Nintendo-themed DLC map pack. Since several of the Animal Crossing devs worked on the game, it'd be awesome to have a couple different Animal Crossing maps, although it'd probably just end up being a sort of theme since Animal Crossing doesn't have any set levels. Sunshine maps like Delfino Plaza would be really cool too.
Yeah, a Nintendo map pack would be cool. There's so much potential there!
They could just use a generic symmetrical town for an Animal Crossing level, call it Inkville or something. The Villagers' houses would be inkable (hopefully this would be the center, with two houses on each side to use as cover, high ground or sniper perches), so would any other buildings (I assume they could put a couple other houses on each side, just for some geographic diversity and also for cover/sniper-vantage-points), and you could put a lower elevation in the middle (below where the houses are, like in the Animal Crossing towns I remember, but maybe it's changed since then) and start each team on opposite sides of that to limit spawn-camping (because it would take a while to get to the spawn point since you'd have to go around that area since you hopefully couldn't ink up the walls of that area, and you could just jump down into the middle if you have to escape from your spawn point immediately and didn't want to super-jump).
Maybe they could also put in something from Metroid like, I dunno, Brinstar, or maybe Crateria. Crateria could have Samus's ship in the center and you could ink it and climb on it, and it could have a bunch of water on the sides in some kind of moats or something (Crateria had quite a bit of water from what I recall). The only problem with this is I remember Crateria being really flat, so I'm not sure how they'd make it more non-flat (not sure what the term I'm looking for is, but that's what it means) (I already dislike Blackbelly Skatepark because it's so easy to get to the other team's spawn point and camp them, though that could just be the teams I was playing with). Brinstar could certainly be more vertical (I remember falling down quite a few corridors in Brinstar), maybe start both teams atop a vertical corridor (to prevent, or at least limit, spawncamping, like Saltspray Rig's elevated starting areas) and have a bunch of horizontal areas, with walls and stuff (not sure what stuff, I don't recall much in particular about Brinstar, Norfair always stuck out more; incidentally, do you think Inklings would melt if exposed to extreme heat?). Actually, Norfair could work too, like what I wrote for Brinstar, but with lava (or magma, or acid, or whatever that is) and more open (I remember more open areas in Norfair than anywhere else except Crateria (mentioned above) and Maridia (probably wouldn't work, too much water)), maybe have Crocomire, Kraid and Ridley and maybe Phantoon and Mother Brain watching from off to the side (not interfering, this isn't Super Smash Bros, they'd just spectate).
Maybe a Code Name S.T.E.A.M. level, maybe London, or Buckingham Palace, or
The South Pole, or maybe Oz.
There were a few levels that looked like they would make good Turf War material (with some tweaking, of course).
Maybe a Dream Land stage, possibly Green Greens (would've gone with the Halberd, but I'm not sure how to make that symmetrical). Not sure how this could work, maybe put Whispy Woods in the center (inkable, of course, not sure if it would count though) and have some tall blocks you could ink up near the center.
Maybe use Hyrule Field (seems like the obvious choice for a Zelda stage, and it's a large, wide-open area), or Clock Town (from Majora's Mask, it could have corridors and multiple elevations and have that area where you stop the moon or rewind time in the center), or the Lost Woods (lots of long corridors with occasional open areas, sounds like Port Mackerel, but I'm sure it could be differentiated somehow) or one of the islands from Wind Waker (I didn't play it, unfortunately, but there's probably something here).
Maybe a Pokémon area, like Sky Pillar, with one team starting at the bottom and the other on top (with filled-in floors, so you can't shoot down at the bottom team when you start on top) and several floors. It sounds like it could be too hard to balance, but maybe it's doable. It would certainly be different.
Also, here's a long shot; maybe they could make the boxing arena from Punch-Out! into a stage, with both sides spawning on opposite sides of the arena with direct paths to the ring (in the center, of course) and less-direct paths going around the stands (where the audience usually is), maybe have some way up to the lights (like in Smash 4, and you could shoot through and fall through it like a grate). I doubt it would happen (sounds WAY too easy to spawn-camp, but I'm sure something could be done about that).
Yeah, Delfino Plaza would be great. That place had tall buildings (so you could ink up them for a possible height advantage), I think there were bridges above ground-level (and if not, you could just put them in in Splat Zones like on Arowana Mall), and you could throw water in there somewhere (maybe through the center, or near the spawn points).

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
That'd be awesome... The early London stages of S.T.E.A.M could make interesting level designs...
Oh, definitely, and maybe they could throw some S.T.E.A.M. Styled gear in too. Maybe a weapon too, like the Rhino Bomber for a long-range Blaster-type weapon or the Fox Rifle as a Charger.
Anyway, back to stages, yeah London could work (the garden outside the castle seems like it could work really well), but maybe their airship could work for a stage too (maybe it could have corridors and open-ish indoor areas too, with the main menu bridge in the center).
Final stage spoilers below:
Or maybe the South Pole? That final area before you fight Starface with the giant ice blocks that you need to destroy while being attacked by Prowlers and those worm-things could be a stage, with the top areas as your spawn points, the walls leading to the spawn-points could be uninkable beyond a certain height to prevent spawncamping and the giant ice ball area could be the center, possibly with just one ice ball in the center to let you move about more easily. I think it could work as a very close-quarters map.
Maybe Boston too, that area where you have to find the purple Prowler in particular (I think it's the one after you get Queequeg), the one with 3 floors. You could start on the second floor and have to ink the other floors too to win a Turf War, maybe have the Splat Zone in the basement.
A map where you battle aboard the Halberd
That could work too, maybe if you had the outer deck as one level and the interior as another.

Also, just a random thought, maybe they could make an Octo Valley level with a bunch of the stuff from single player (like sponges, inklines (possibly able to be changed to your color by shooting their starting point?), launchpads, etc.

Last edited:

Turnip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Snowdrop12320
I want to paint Clock Town from Majora's Mask. XD

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Maybe a Mario Kart level would be good for that moving tower gamemode coming out soon...
Yeah, like Rainbow Road (it's nice and long and winding, but I dunno if it would work because it might be hard to tell if some colors had inked an area or not) or Bowser's Castle (could be an indoor map, we don't have any of those yet, and lava could be a nice hazard (like water, but red and brighter), also you could have Thwomps that splat Inklings if they land on hem, but can be inked and climbed to use as elevators (if you have multiple levels) or just for the height advantage).

Hictsip

Inkling
Yeah, like Rainbow Road (it's nice and long and winding, but I dunno if it would work because it might be hard to tell if some colors had inked an area or not) or Bowser's Castle (could be an indoor map, we don't have any of those yet, and lava could be a nice hazard (like water, but red and brighter), also you could have Thwomps that splat Inklings if they land on hem, but can be inked and climbed to use as elevators (if you have multiple levels) or just for the height advantage).
Yeah, and maybe there could actually be moving karts, kinda like in Port Mackerel, or those Mario Kart Smash stages. As for the indoor thing, isn't Walleye Warehouse indoors?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah, and maybe there could actually be moving karts, kinda like in Port Mackerel, or those Mario Kart Smash stages. As for the indoor thing, isn't Walleye Warehouse indoors?
It is? I couldn't tell, guess I never looked up.
I meant that it could have inkable walls as the edges of the map. No current stage has those yet, to my knowledge.
Yeah, karts racing through could be interesting, especially if you could ink them and/or ride them around the stage.
Or if they splatted you, though that could be a bit annoying.

spiffy

Full Squid
NNID
pinkylilacs
going along with the nintendo theme, anyone feel like a kirby themed map might be fun? there are lots of ocean stages but it might be cool to see a splatoon map with the fountain of dreams in the middle.

heck, a sea port in the style of paper mario might be cool! it'd be fun climbing up "2D" walls and crates, findng cool little secrets just like in the games.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
Aperture Science
Since they have paintable surfaces and ones which cannot be painted or portaled on, so the mechanics are already in-universe. plus portal 2 features blue and orange gels which have been used in the "gee, splatoon looks good" memes.
Value are happy to be representant and have their content used so i imagine getting the rights to a DLC map wouldnt be difficult. (They've made DLC maps for other obscurer games).

Aura

Infiltrator
Well, I'll name a few, but I'm not expecting them to happen.

• Delfino Plaza
  • Hyrule Fields
  • Flower Field
  • Bowser's Castle
If Bowser's Castle was a thing, it would be the first stage I'd ever hype about (And they'd beat Smash Bros to boot :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom