• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'm starting to miss facing Japanese players.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
They make up so much of the active playerbase of Splatoon 2. I believe the game already surpassed more than one million copies over there. In that case I wouldn't be surprised that even if you play late at night your lobby would be filled within 3-5 seconds with Japanese players. I also heard that sometimes in League Team Battles it's harder to find new teams once you reach a very high rank and you keep fighting the same team over and over again. I wish we can see some new blood but looks like we'll mostly be region locked to our respective region when it comes to matchmaking.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
I do not miss playing against those crazy Japanese players. They could Goku through my shots, and not due to lag. They were just that good.

I still have nightmares about it.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I miss them too, even if only so we can get fast lobbies set up.

To be fair, some of us(myself included) wanted national matchmaking instead and we regret it now. Lobbies are so slow to fill up and the games still feel laggy. I guess JP players are just blessed with excellent internet.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I personally prefer it if I can read, and thus remember the names of people I play with. And thus know in the following matches who's who.

With Japanese players I cannot possibly tell them apart if there's more than one.

dishwasher

Full Squid
I have a friend in Hong Kong and play against Japanese players all the time with him.
But I don't really wait that long for matchmaking in North America, and can't say I really notice a difference when matching with Japanese players. Maybe it's just me (I don't play turf war much though).

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I got used to the lag as well as any other dump mechanic (namely SalmonRun shifts) that I miss them and all the players where it was a real challenge to just splat them once (while they splat me like 4-5 times)

I miss them too, even if only so we can get fast lobbies set up.

To be fair, some of us(myself included) wanted national matchmaking instead and we regret it now. Lobbies are so slow to fill up and the games still feel laggy. I guess JP players are just blessed with excellent internet.
I have a friend in Hong Kong and play against Japanese players all the time with him.
But I don't really wait that long for matchmaking in North America, and can't say I really notice a difference when matching with Japanese players. Maybe it's just me (I don't play turf war much though).
It's not that it would be faster because Japanese players are gods or something. National matchmaking leaves out everyone from other regions. No Japanese players / (for me) US players. So It all comes down to other EU players for me which means not that much players are ready to be matched. It would go faster if its an International matchmaking but in S and S+ you could not always see someone with a normal name. So like 85% of all player name in Splatoon1 where Japanese or atleast look like japanese.

Again: National matchmaking leaves out a huge pool of players from the other regions. And I don't even like this because it feels like there might be larger skill differences at the top between the regions.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
--EDIT: Sorry for double posting. This site bugged around for a moment and it didn't showed me it was finished posting that. Please delete this post.

SonnyBlueBalls

Full Squid
NNID
ReaganMcClellan
I dont miss playing against the ****. When i was in splatoon 1 it was dc city for me. Splatoon 2 - havent dc'd once.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Splatoon1 did enough sh** with the netcode. 25 * 7 packets + 25 * 7 packets coming back is kinda bad. There is a reason why most online games runs with a dedicated Server. Splatoon2 just sends 16 * 7 - 9 packets.

OK enough with that technical stuff which I don't really want to talk about. But Splatoon2 sends less data which in turn leads to less problems with unstable internet connections and less data to handle for slow internet. And I already had multiple people disconnect in Splatoon1 and even had people who complain that the internet issues from Splatoon1 are still in Splatoon2.

I am NOT thinking that you disconnected because of them. I mean I have very few disconnects in Splatoon1.

And the Splatfest had enough problems with crazy delayed connections. I mean, I saw ink that took 1-3 seconds to appear. And that is not what I consider as "good". Most japanese players had less delay in Splatoon1 for me.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I've seen Asian players in league in S2, and every single time, the lag is just awful. I'm not down with that. So much happier with regional match making.

squiddoodly

Full Squid
I've never experienced heavy lag when facing Japanese players, so I don't have to worry about errors in game.

I think the most memorable part of playing Splatoon was playing all day then once it reached 10:00 p.m I would get pumped to play against some Japanese players. Playing against them was like a challenge that was waiting for me every night. I once remember one battle where my entire team had English names and the other team had Japanese names. It was a complete battle with the Japanese, of course we got completely wrecked, but it was a funny experience and I generally enjoyed playing against them.

uhhhhhhhh

Inkster Jr.
I was splatoon-schooled by the Japanese, only playing from about 3-7am USA time :)

I was the ONLY non Japanese person in splatoon 1 matches every single time

But really, they aren't as good as everyone says they are..... Which is a little of why I miss them too lol

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Good riddance I say.

Global matchmaking was actually the reason I dropped the first game before Splatoon 2 came out: because the majority of the time (at least 70% of the time) I played, it caused some pretty bad lag and made me way saltier than I should have been. I could count the number of times I've seen lag like it in Splatoon 2 on one hand (not counting tick rate issues).

Plus, it was very common for me to be the only one in the lobby without moon runes in their name - it was a cold and lonely experience. I don't mind fighting Japanese players who are better than me, I do mind having to fight them while putting up with the lag it causes; and it happen far too often to ever want them back.
To be fair, some of us (myself included) wanted national matchmaking instead and we regret it now.
"We"!? Speak for yourself, the very thought of global matchmaking being reinstated and returning to that awful online experience makes my blood boil.
/rant

Maybe I should go on the salt thread more often...

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Did you miss the "some of us" in that sentence?
No, but I interpreted it as "Not everyone wanted national matchmaking, but everyone who did regrets it." My bad.

Apologies for misinterpreting you.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I want them back myself for less wait times and to give the game a sense of having a healthier playerbase. However, if they give us back world wide match making, they will need to give us dedicated servers, especially once we start paying for internet service. Doing that will help with the intercontinental lag issues and make for a better experience overall.

I do feel a lot of players have romanticized the Japanese players since Splatoon 2 came out. When people realized the maps are designed for more confrontation and more splatting, people somehow think Japanese players will focus more on objectives and turfing, and turf will be more like it was in the first game. I highly doubt that. This game's DNA fosters more conflict and pushes people towards the middle of the map to battle it out. You hang back and turf for too long on say Inkblot academy, and you will have lost the center immediately and recovering will not be easy.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I personally prefer it if I can read, and thus remember the names of people I play with.
Plus, it was very common for me to be the only one in the lobby without moon runes in their name - it was a cold and lonely experience.
k. ಠ_ಠ

I want them back myself for less wait times and to give the game a sense of having a healthier playerbase. However, if they give us back world wide match making, they will need to give us dedicated servers, especially once we start paying for internet service. Doing that will help with the intercontinental lag issues and make for a better experience overall.
This a thousand times. While I do want a larger playerbase I'd appreciate dedicated servers with a better tickrate. Having full clips gulped up like it's nothing while dying to a single drop can be a frustrating experience at times. My wish has little to do with Japanese players in particular (which I still see popping up here and there, friendly lobbies breaking the frame be blessed)... it'd just be nice not to be up against the same Duos over and over again like there's literally no one else available è3é.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
"Welcome back Ansible! Thought you left to change?"
"I did, Lisa. Weapons, gear, checked my orders, used a meal ticket, patrolled the Square—for the past fifteen minutes!"
"And yet here you are. I left two lobbies myself, but kept running into most of these jokers, you remember DynamoDan here, right?"
"Screw you Danny!! So how're the kids, Lisa?"
"They're still squids. Oh, did you see SloshGod's squidverse post?"
"Yeah, just did. He's taking those tri-slosher nerfs hard."
"I don't blame him. I remember the great gal nerf of 2016... my gal's ain't done nothin to deserve that! *sniffle*"

Yeah, I miss the Japanese. But not just the Japanese. I miss the whole global playerbase we had access to by default. Sure, it can sometimes be good to play with and against the same players repeatedly, for better or worse, but there's a far larger community with a variety of ideas, weapon preferences, play styles, tactics, and what-not to learn from that I feel we're being severely deprived of! Also having access to a global playerbase means queue times that don't take as long as the match itself or the matchmaker giving up and throwing anyone they can find into the queue just to fill out the roster—especially in turf war.

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
Mmm, I'm a bit conflicted on this matter. Playing against the "hardcore" Japanese players really forced me to up my game in the first Splatoon, but at the same time I distinctly remember being so happy to play during Splatfest because it was the only time I knew I was going to play with a room full of US players. It wasn't that I disliked playing people from other regions, but it almost seemed like the general mindset for most US players was different from that of most in Japan. The Japanese squiddos liked to focus mostly on going for kills, while the North American squiddos weren't as gung-ho about it and it made matches feel less one-sided. (Bear in mind, this is just my personal experience, and I certainly saw some players break away from this norm.)

Not being able to play with players from other regions in Splatoon 2 really makes me sad though, because I realize how much I miss seeing how different the playstyles were across the regions. I also thought it was adorable when certain names that were clearly popular in specific countries started joining the room, because then, even if they weren't really from the region I assumed them to be from, it gave me this impression of connecting with gamers across the globe to play this wacky, whimsical shooter. In fact, one of my little brothers was even encouraged to learn a bit of kanji so he could say "hi" to the Japanese squids that began squid parties during late night/early morning Turf Wars. It just feels like something is missing now that we're limited to our own countries.

Ideally I think it'd be neat if Nintendo gave us the option to play against others worldwide or just stick to playing with those in our region. I have noticed much, much less lag in Splatoon 2 compared to the first game, but there are so many factors contributing to that I'm hesitant to blame it all on worldwide matchmaking.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Mmm, I'm a bit conflicted on this matter. Playing against the "hardcore" Japanese players really forced me to up my game in the first Splatoon, but at the same time I distinctly remember being so happy to play during Splatfest because it was the only time I knew I was going to play with a room full of US players. It wasn't that I disliked playing people from other regions, but it almost seemed like the general mindset for most US players was different from that of most in Japan. The Japanese squiddos liked to focus mostly on going for kills, while the North American squiddos weren't as gung-ho about it and it made matches feel less one-sided. (Bear in mind, this is just my personal experience, and I certainly saw some players break away from this norm.)

Not being able to play with players from other regions in Splatoon 2 really makes me sad though, because I realize how much I miss seeing how different the playstyles were across the regions. I also thought it was adorable when certain names that were clearly popular in specific countries started joining the room, because then, even if they weren't really from the region I assumed them to be from, it gave me this impression of connecting with gamers across the globe to play this wacky, whimsical shooter. In fact, one of my little brothers was even encouraged to learn a bit of kanji so he could say "hi" to the Japanese squids that began squid parties during late night/early morning Turf Wars. It just feels like something is missing now that we're limited to our own countries.

Ideally I think it'd be neat if Nintendo gave us the option to play against others worldwide or just stick to playing with those in our region. I have noticed much, much less lag in Splatoon 2 compared to the first game, but there are so many factors contributing to that I'm hesitant to blame it all on worldwide matchmaking.
Funnily enough, the general consensus these days is the opposite - American players are more bloodthirsty and Japanese players are more objective-minded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom