• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

I'm terrible at Splat Zones

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
I'm currently at A+ rank. And I realised around B rank that I am terrible at splat zones! So the only way I managed to get to A+ was avoid ranked battles altogether if they were splat zones. I found out that I was really good at tower control, and okay at rainmaker with the luna blaster (this is probably my best gun).

I think the reason I'm good with tower control/rainmaker is that everyone sort of goes to one place i.e. the tower or the rain maker. There I can obliterate everyone with the luna blaster. It's not the same with the splat zone though- people can swim away and people with higher range can overtake me.

I've tried a variety of weapons for the splat zones, but I don't know. Any tips would be appreciated.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Look at your team and what they have and are doing. Sub in for whatever they are not doing. There you go, more wins.

But seriously, don't stand in the zone, ink everywhere, not just the zone and stay sharp. Play defensively.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
for me, a good SZ strategy is to play defensive: I'll grab the zone on our side of the map, and let the team-mates grab the other.
once that's done, all it comes down to is paying attention to the map and stopping any approaching enemies.
(for me, the .96 Deco works best because its long range means I can take out enemies without much risk, provided I don't let them get close.)
"the best offense is a good defense", and nowhere is that truer than in Splat Zones.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Isn't it "the best defense is a good offense"? I feel like that's how it actually is haha.

Dynamo Rollers usually put the zone into at least neutral with just a single flick so those are good to use too. Especially the normal variant with its sprinkler you can put in very annoying areas near the zone. Squelchers are good in maps that have perches.

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Haha well I went from A+ to A just then trying the 0.96 Deco. I guess I need more practise. For now though I think I'll continue avoiding splat zones and sticking to what I'm good at...
Does that sound like a viable strategy? Do you think there are a few S/S+ people that avoid certain rank modes?

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
lol funnily enough I made a thread about how I need to improve in Tower Control right before you made this thread about how to improve in Splat Zones. So Splat Zones is actually my favourite ranked battle game-mode so I think I will be able to help you out.

So what I normally do at the start is take the most direct route to the Splat Zone and attempt to splat any enemies while simultaneously covering ink, I'm able to do this effectively because I use the 96 Gal Deco which has good range and also has the Splash Wall, this works really well for maps with one relatively small zone such as Blue-Fin Depot and Walley Warehouse. This is a bit harder to accomplish if there are two zones like Blackbelly Skatepark or one big zone like Kelp Dome, in these instances I play slightly more defensively and stealthily. If however I decide to use a short range weapon like the Tentatek (or in your case the Luna blaster) I would usually instead attempt to flank around and let the longer range weapons draw the enemy fire.

From here the two most common scenarios are:
1. You capture the zone more or less and take care of any stragglers. From here your two main objectives are to stay alive and guard your zone, fairly straight forward.
2. You fail to capture the zone, if this happens follow the steps that I mentioned earlier and either try to flank or draw enemy fire for others to flank. DO NOT engage the enemy alone, when attempting to re-capture the zone always make sure you have at least 3 other team members with you, 4 is definitely better though.

There are a couple more specific techniques that I implement such as hiding, more so than the other modes. When I do this though I usually try to be in a secluded spot, I only come out if I think I'm going to be splatted or if my team is making a good push. Related to that point is that if we make a push and fail then I don't necessarily retreat, again if I'm in a secluded spot with a relatively low chance of being spotted then I might just wait there. One more important thing, whenever possible DO NOT stand in your own splat zone as if you get splatted then it will create a large puddle of enemy ink in the zone which is very bad, again related to that point is don't super jump into a splat zone unless it's under your control.

That basically wraps it up for this guide to Splat-Zones, hope this helps! You should note that this is by no means the perfect model guide, after all I'm only an S player, I have yet to hit S+. For more general gameplay tips I strongly reccomend you check out the other guides in Squidboards, you might also want to take a look at Nintendome', 'ThatSrb2Dude', 'Squidkids', and 'Squids Next Door' . Good luck!

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Wow thanks for the tips Alpha359! Extremely helpful. I think my problem was that I was way too aggressive, I tend to jump in which works well for rain maker and tower control in some instances, but is a huge detriment in splat zone. Because when I die that leads to the huge enemy ink puddles.

I love the .96 Deco- I was really good with it in C and B ranks but people just got better in A and S ranks. I have yet to improve my skills with this weapon.

I'll attempt to be more defensive, I always feel like I'm not contributing when I stay back but I've got to get into that mindset.

Oh yeah I follow Thatsrb2dude religiously! He's my idol!

Thanks again!

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Do anything but die. Just by the nature of the mode, dying in SZ has more consequences than any other mode (excluding specific circumstances).

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Use weapons with a high rate of fire and long range (Splatlings & Dual Squelcher) for coverage or weapons with Bomb Burst and quick special charge for bomb flurries. Either one can take a zone pretty fast. You can also use defensive weapons with decent coverage (.96 Gal Deco or Heavy Splatling work well) since this mode involves a lot of defending. You can also focus on killing the other team, but I'd recommend picking them off one at a time. If you kill them all at once, you'll set yourself up for a team rush. If your team isn't prepared for it, they can wipe you out and set up for your counterattack that they'll know is coming.

Chargers are good for harassing people trying to take the zone, and many also have Splat Bombs/Burst Bombs for a bomb rush on the zone if needed.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
If the enemy has wiped you and are keeping you in your spawn, I recommend building up your special and then let your team charge ahead. And remember, ALWAYS ink all turf you see if you have the chance, except if it is very far from the zone(s).

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I used to be bad at splat zones and avoided it until a couple of months ago when I created a new account. I'm fine with it now but it's my least favourite by a lot. So yes, I am an S and I avoided splat zones for a long while. Even now I still try to play when it's not splat zones since I prefer the other modes. So you're not alone!

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
Wow, looks like a lot of people don't like Splat Zones, guess I'm in the minority.

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th
Wow, looks like a lot of people don't like Splat Zones, guess I'm in the minority.
I feel like Splat Zones is the best and most fair mode for competitive play. However, I hate playing it sometimes due to the way it's structured. For example, you make a good push, your team gets wiped out, first you have to regroup with your team and coordinate on getting the zone(s) back. Then you have to wait an insane amount of time just to get your counter going down again. If you're actually the team that got cleared out and then managed to wipe out the other team and/or get the zone(s), then get wiped out yet again, you feel this insane amount of pressure where the timer suddenly feels like its going unfairly fast. Not to mention if the other team managed to get a ton of map control it becomes a bigger pain in the ***.

But that's just how I feel about it playing Solo Ranked, where I don't know what my teammates' strategies are or their current objectives. I'm just trying to make sure nobody touches the zone.

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
I can definitely see where your coming from, but to be honest with you I find it even more stressful when someone grabs the tower or rainmaker in those respective modes than when a team grabs a zone. So stressful that I often make mistakes, especially in Tower Control since I usually just lose all perspective and rush at the opponent, this sometimes works well with Rainmaker but not for Tower Control. I know that's it's not very smart to do that, I just get the instinctive urge to do so, whereas in Splat Zones I find it easier to wait and think more logically, not sure why, guess that's just me.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
SZ is nice because it's the only mode where you can pretty much take a defensive position for nearly the entirety of the game and still make it work. It's also kind of stupid since once you lose the zone, you are at a horrendous disadvantage, whereas once someone loses the tower or the rainmaker, the situation is set at neutral again.

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Hey guys thanks for all the tips. I've really taken the mindset of playing defensively and I am actually winning splat zones now! Of course I'm still losing some but it's nothing like my terrible losing streaks before. I'm using the rapid blaster pro and hanging back, killing people if they approach, and inking turf to increase the special gauge. Lets see if I can keep this up on my way to S rank!

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
yeah, i main chargers and the custom jet squelcher and tower control is definitely the best for both of those wepaons

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
What weapon are you using?
I'm using the rapid blaster pro deco. Long range, only needs a couple of hits with damage up. Plus I really like the disruptor sub and killer wail.

Still not the best at splat zones haha.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Yeah, it's a fun weapon to use, maybe not the best at inking, but maybe focus on clearing the places around the zone or something lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom