• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink Resistance and Damage Reduction

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
”Reduces damage taken and improves mobility when walking through enemy ink.”

After YouTubing and searching through forums I couldn’t find a clear cut answer to a couple questions about this ability. I also find the wording on the description a tad bit ambiguous.

I’ve seen the video of time comparison between stacking them as mains but:

The “Reduces damage taken...” part, to me, could be taken as either 1. It Reduces damage from enemy ink as a whole or 2. Reduces damage taken from enemy ink fire while standing in enemy ink.

However, if you do not separate the beginning of the description from the rest I could see how it only reduces damage from the ink you are standing in and not from enemy ink fire- whether in or out of the enemy ink.

Does this ability have any damage reduction from enemy ink sources other than what you’re standing in?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Does this ability have any damage reduction from enemy ink sources other than what you’re standing in?
The short answer: "No"

This is because every main weapon (in splatoon 2) does a set amount of damage for every shot landed. Ink resistance, no matter how much you stack, will not make a weapon take an extra shot to kill you, or even reduce the damage taken from an enemy attack. Ink resistance doesn't block against sub weapons either, they will still do the same amount of damage to you. (Unless you use the perk: bomb defense up) The same goes for special weapons, as some of them, like: baller, tentamissles, and splashdown behave as an explosive damage source. Meaning they can be blocked by bomb defense up, but not ink resistance.

All ink resistance does, is increasing your mobility in enemy ink, and reduces the maximum potential damage that you can receive while standing in enemy ink.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Actually, ink resistance does have a secondary purpose, as you are in enemy ink you take damage from the ink, very little but it can make you more vunerable to attacks.

A good example of this is being 1 shot while wearing ink armor in enemy ink.

Ink resist (usually just 1 sub) would prevent something like this from happpening.
However it will not reduce damage taken from any weapon sub or special

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Ahhh okay thanks for clearing that up. If it reduced incoming ink damage i could see how it would be greatly beneficial but I just can’t seem to figure out how to incorporate it in any builds.

I never really find myself in a predicament where escaping a patch of enemy ink with the ability would outweigh being able to ink my feet and hop out/repeat more effectively.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I never really find myself in a predicament where escaping a patch of enemy ink with the ability would outweigh being able to ink my feet and hop out/repeat more effectively.
I usually pick other gear over Ink Resistance, too. However, as it (to my knowledge) also increases how smooth you can swim through your own turf which is interrupted by small amounts of enemy ink, I used to run it along with Squid Ninja and Swimp Speed up when working my brush magic. It would help me cross through there fast, even when the enemy had already sprayed a few shots of ink in there.

Of course, the same probably applies to roller techniques involving curling bombs. And there's most likely a couple more sets where it's useful in.

All in all, I wouldn't say it's useless.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
To comment on what Lix said above, In reference to swimming over patches of enemy ink breaking up your own inked path ahead, I’ve found that bomb strafing (I think that’s what dude called it in the video) helps immensely with that situation. Ya know, the tech where you’re approaching a corner and instead of swimming around it you aim your sub in the direction you want to go, then go squid again all in one motion.

The mechanic of it seems to allow instant momentum in any direction so I usually use it immediately after swimming through a patch of enemy ink to make up for the slow of their ink+the time needed to build top swim speed.

That’s just another reason for me at least where the ability doesn’t seem necessary.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
The usefulness of ink resitance at least in my builds are with chargers and with my splattershot pro.

The charger lacks good coverage ability on it's own and can get stuck and become very vulerable in the process, so having the ink resist help move through that ink.
My build
:ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_specialduration::ability_inkresistance:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:

Splattershot pro, I mainly have this to help with strafing while in a fire fight, and to move out of the way of heavy fire and bomb spam
Usually run something like this
:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_runspeed::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance: or. :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub:
:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkresistance: :ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_runspeed::ability_inkresistance:

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
To comment on your Pro builds Saber, i consider myself rapidly approaching Splattershot Pro as a main and I find that movement speed and ink resist have no place in the builds I’ve been experimenting with. Especially for the ink economy of the pro, I highly favor ink saver main and special charge. Those, along with multiple sub savers because I absolutely love point sensor, leaves me with fillers which I usually save for swim speed and maybe special saver.

The reason I love the pro is it necessitates tracking and accuracy. So to me, those two skills sort of dwarf the need to increase strafing speed if I’m beating my opponent quicker because of the accuracy and high damage. Makes me feel like I don’t need to strafe to survive.

Though I do suppose I see a use for ink resist considering you can’t plant a bomb at your feet for a quick exit. But I’d just use a few shots to my feet for that anyway so idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom