1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Splatoon 2 has released around the globe!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Mithical1, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Mithical1

Mithical1 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Mithrandir37
    Any linguists in the house? I've been wondering about about the language that has been depicted throughout the world of Splatoon. Mostly curious about the orthography since we haven't really heard the language except for maybe a bit in the music.

First of all, is there any structure to the written language? If someone can confirm that it is all made up nonsense then this thread can be abandoned.

Until then, I'd like to know what people think about "Inklanese" and it's inclusion within the overall aesthetic of the game. I myself haven't looked into it much but I really hope that it is interpretable. That would be inkredible attention to detail on the developers' part.

Edit: The official Tumblr calls the language "Inkling" so that is what we'll go with if we discuss any further developments.

#1 Mithical1, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    shani, Math, freefun55 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

I don't think they really have a strict language, it's probably just noises that sound similar to English or whatever language it's localised to. :p

3. StarHunter789

StarHunter789 Pro Squid

NNID:
    Linestar777
    I agree with this but the written language does mean something. Someone will probably decode it when of the comes out.

4. Oni

Oni Full Squid

I kind of like "squidgin"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin
    I only know this from recently rereading East of Eden.

as for the language im guessing its just nonsense :p would like to be proven wrong though

Math, Mithical1 and Lyn like this.
  5. Mithical1

Mithical1 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Mithrandir37
    I like Squidgin but I think calling it Inklanese more obviously identifies it as a language. But do you think I should change it to Squidgin? I don't mind.

Lyn likes this.
  6. Inari

Inari Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlippingTables
    It would be pretty crazy if they made up their own language like the Ar tonelico games did (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/hymmnos.htm)

I kinda doubt they went through that kind of effort for Splatoon though since the language doesn't really play much of a part in the game. I probably wouldn't expect it to be more than symbol swapped japanese/english or just random symbols

Mithical1 likes this.
  7. Lyn

Premium

I like Inklanese more, it's like "Inkling" and "Japanese" put together. Since it was made and Japan and the race is called Inklings I think it fits perfectly. :)

You never know, it is a new IP. They did the same for Zelda so.. :p

Math and Mithical1 like this.
  8. Oni

Oni Full Squid

inklanese is the super obvious one

squidgin is the hyper intelligent sounding one that sounds fancy for no reason and no one will understand :p I prefer squidgin because I just made it up but who cares.

9. Mithical1

Mithical1 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Mithrandir37
    Yeah, I'm hoping it's just character substitution. It would be cool if it was decipherable.

10. Yaezakura

Yaezakura Pro Squid

I imagine the written language is a simple character swap from Japanese. That tends to be how Nintendo handles languages.

The spoken version is probably just random noises, though, perhaps made in familiar cadence to sound like sentences, but with no actual translatable meaning.

Math, ThatsSo and Mithical1 like this.
  11. Infinity343018

Infinity343018 Senior Squid

I myself am more partial to Squiddish or Inkish

⭐️Zapfish⭐️ and dustmyte like this.
  12. Rescue22

Rescue22 Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    CheckMyAboutMe
    I guess we'll see whenever the game comes out, it should be interesting to learn about the Inklings more.

13. StarHunter789

StarHunter789 Pro Squid

NNID:
    Linestar777
    Both of those names are pretty good for language names. But then what about the Octarians? Do they speak a different language or do they speak the same language as the Inklings?

14. Infinity343018

Infinity343018 Senior Squid

I think it would be a different language. Perhaps Octarese or heck even just Octarian

⭐️Zapfish⭐️ likes this.
  15. StarHunter789

StarHunter789 Pro Squid

NNID:
    Linestar777
    Hmm, I watched some footage again of people playing a single player mission with Octolings and they appear to die like Inklings do (their soul flies out like a squid except purple). They sort of make noises similar to Inklings too, but not exactly the same.

16. Lyn

Premium

Maybe they have a different accent of the same language? Maybe it's a universal language, since the shop owners aren't Inklings. :eek:

DonkaFjord likes this.
  17. Yaezakura

Yaezakura Pro Squid

Ah, but they talk on the Tumblr about how jellyfish, the second-most-common species in Inkopolis, don't speak Inkling. The only one that can is Jelonzo, the owner of the clothing store... and his use of the language is fairly broken.

DonkaFjord likes this.
  18. Lyn

Premium

Hmm, I see. That makes sense.

19. Bottlecapn

Bottlecapn Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Bottlecapn
    Ever since I noticed the weird language I've wanted to decipher it, but I haven't much luck yet. I've been interested in this for a while now and I'll share with you guys any info I can get.

Mithical1 and StarHunter789 like this.
  20. LunarDistortion

LunarDistortion Inkster Jr.

Wouldn't it be awesome if it were decipherable like Hyrulian in Zelda? That detail would probably be one of the best in the game if they implemented it.

Sadly though, it doesn't seem to be the case.

jp4464 likes this.
  21. jp4464

jp4464 Jazzy Inkling
    Moderator Premium

NNID:
    jp4464
    What makes me so excited for this game is how it's bursting with personality.
    The inklings already have their own language! That's crazy, haha

If it is actually decipherable, It'd be cool if there was a site that could convert English into the inkling's language.

It could be our way of sending secret messages :D

Treadlight likes this.
  22. Oni

Oni Full Squid

how about inklish?

eng and ink are pronounced very similarly and it kind of makes sense being most of the word inkling. I mean we do speak english here . . .

Green inker likes this.
  23. Lyn

Premium

Yeah, but it it's from Japan, so.. Inklanese makes way more sense. Especially since Japanese is the English word for the language used in Japan.

24. Yaezakura

Yaezakura Pro Squid

But... the language already has a name. Inkling.

25. Oni

Oni Full Squid

well that is both boring and dissapointing. at least it has an official name now.

26. yokokazuo

yokokazuo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    NagoyaKazuo
    For the spoken language, I'm not sure yet if it's based on anything although I believe the developers said that the theme song was made with the voices of some of the female staff.

As for the written language I'm not completely sure, but at least in this picture of the Splatoon Research Lab
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/596962759541063680/photo/1
    The written language looks very similar to English and you can kind of read "Splatoon Research Lab".

27. DE235

DE235 Senior Squid

NNID:
    Decrosis
    I like that they did put a language in their. It make the world more real to me.

28. Dirty Duck

Dirty Duck Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    TheThirdChild
    One thing I've noticed concerning the language is that Callie and Marie quite clearly seem to be saying "Are you ready?" in their song in the direct, though most of the rest of it is seemingly gobbledy gook

29. Trieste Sp

Trieste Sp Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Well, that's confirmed now.

30. Book81able

Book81able Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    book81able
    I think it is a full language. If Hyrulian could exist then why can't inkling? That and the letters are used so much that it would be simpler to write with a plan not just gibberish. I don't know about the spoken language though

31. RacattackForce

RacattackForce Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    RacattackForce
    So the written portion corresponds to English, similar to Hylian in some of the later Zelda games. That just leaves the spoken portion up in the air: is it gibberish or some weird masking of English (or Japanese) speech, like how how Midna's dialogue in Twilight Princess is just reversed English?

#31 RacattackForce, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  32. Aura

Aura Infiltrator

When I first heard Inkling, I thought the language was similar to that of Animal Crossing's gibberish, but it's got some notable differences.

I've said in the past that lore is one of my most favorite things in a video game and if this language is in fact translatable, I'll definitely be learning it. Course I'm not holding my breath for that. I don't think Inkling is its own language, but English with a extremely strong accent. Course that's just how I see it.

33. RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
    Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    Inklings seem to speak English, but it is under such a heavy filter, it is difficult to make out what they say. I noticed this when Callie and Marie were singing.

⭐️Zapfish⭐️ likes this.
  34. yokokazuo

yokokazuo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    NagoyaKazuo
    I tried slowing their speech down and lowering the voices and I could make out even more of what sounded like English. Although there was still quite a bit that was difficult to understand.

Also I'm still not sure if the written language is based off of anything yet. I haven't really seen anything that reuses the symbols from the SRL, my guess is that that "language" may just be used by the members of the SRL. Also I've been trying to compare some of the store signs to their English and Japanese names and haven't really been able to determine if they say anything yet. Also in the Squid Sister's song I noticed that some symbols in a line (usually around 3) would sometimes be repeated in it.

35. Book81able

Book81able Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    book81able
    If you look at the Japanese direct the Squid Sisters song is exactly the same. It means that the language may be based off of Japanese. So we aren't the ones who should be decoding it. Unless you speak Japanese... then have at it.

⭐️Zapfish⭐️ and Math like this.
  36. RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
    Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    You make a good point. No wonder why I could only make out some words, and not others. I am going to see if I can recognize some Japanese in what they are singing.

Edit: I don't think it is possible to understand it due to the filter. Unless you can speak both Japanese and English fluently, then I highly doubt you will be able to notice everything that they say.

37. Inari

Inari Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlippingTables
    Their songs sound a lot like they are in Japanese, but the garbled audio makes it hard for me to make out the exact words. You can also hear a short clip of a different song they sing toward the end of the part of the Direct where they are talking about Splatfest (starts at around 30:50 in our direct). A few words in that song sound more recognizable but I'm not too sure

38. yokokazuo

yokokazuo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    NagoyaKazuo
    I know quite a bit of Japanese and have been to Japan a few times including spending half a year on exchange, but I still wouldn't consider myself fluent. I didn't really hear anything that sounded like Japanese, but I will ask one of my Japanese friends and see if they hear anything when listening to the song.
    Edit: I don't really know anymore... Been listening to this and the other song a few times and I'm just getting confused haha. Would be nice if they would just confirm whether or not there is a language and what it's from.

#38 yokokazuo, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  39. extremechiton

extremechiton Inkling

NNID:
    Extremechiton
    Squiddish. (Sounds like a harry potter game)
    Inklish (english turns inky)

Endymion likes this.
  40. Endymion

Endymion Pro Squid

NNID:
    Endymion0
    I like this. What about Inklish is the common language between the Octarians and Inklings, while Squiddish is the dilect/lingo for Inklings and Octish is the same for Octarians?