1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Splatoon 2 has released around the globe!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

Inkoming Version 2.2.0 Discussion

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Ansible, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

1. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Splatoon JP twitter account recently posted that January 17th (16th for NoA) we'll have a 2.2.0 update!

The Squidboards twitter account (yes, we have one of those too =p) retweeted Go Nintendo's article tweet where he posted an English fan translation of the patch notes that was posted on Pastebin:
    *whew*

Very very interesting changes here. I'll edit in the official translation once it goes up!

HEY!! Lookatme I'm an edit!
    A "thank you" to @Cyan for spotting the official NoA notes of the version update that have been posted. Go on and check it out, quite a bit more stuff in it.

Update should be going live today on January 16th around 5pm pst!

#1 Ansible, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 11:51 AM
  2. Silxer

Silxer Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Dan1771
    NOOOOOO!!!! WHY!?!

Like, I can understand why but that's going to hurt my L-3 a bit which saddens me. :(

Aside from that, this patch is pretty much just buffs to most of the "unused" weapons in Splat 2 (and a few nerfs to some of the current "meta" weapons) and it seems that Nintendo REALLY wants more players to be using the Dualies since they have been getting buffed in almost every patch so far (I won't be surprised if they become "meta" after this patch).

Overall, the patch looks decent enough I'm just not a fan of the Curling Bomb nerf (probably R.I.P. my Bomb spam at choke point strat).

Ansible and Mr. Squiggly Squid like this.
  3. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Yeah, the Bamboozler is my most heavy curling bomb usage/dependent weapon as I use them for mobility, close quarters combat, traps, and combos... that nerf is gonna hurt so so so sooooo bad in a bad way!

I can understand them doing it to curtail sploosh-o-matics and splat roller shenanigans, especially when they curling bomb into splashdown, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer as well! :(

Silxer likes this.
  4. J'Wiz

J'Wiz Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JWiz
    Obviously the big one to me is the Dualie buff.

"Slightly expanded the hitbox calculation between bullets and players, making it easier to hit players."

This should mean that getting both guns to hit players should be much more reliable. I can't tell you how many times I've been killed in duels simply because one gun decided to start shooting away from the enemy. Maybe I can more reliably use Dualies in more serious matches after this.

Will this make them meta? Probably not. Afterall, Splattershot and N-Zap will likely still reliably kill faster.

Still....how many Dualie buffs does this make? 5?

#4 J'Wiz, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:04 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM
    Dessgeega likes this.
  5. Mar$el

Mar$el Pro Squid

Really looking forward to the slosher and charger buffs. Goober can now partial charge kill, while they nerfed the di partial charge distance by 5% (pretty sure that's what they mean). Basically it's more survivable. It'll def hvae more usage but nothing game changing imo. Since I started playing slosher deco I've been really annoyed how little it paints right next to you and the end lag to a nice buff for any other sloshers!

Ansible likes this.
  6. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    inb4 gloogas r realy used by ppl lawl

I think we'll be hitting a half-dozen or more buffs for the dualie class after this.

I'm thinking the bubble nerf could mean we'll be able to effectively counter them. Currently not only can they be greatly difficult to get rid of, but even if you have multiple people trying to stop the same bubble, just one person on the other team can still pop it or keep it on the field in spite of them.

And to think so many (unimaginative) people derided the bubble blower when it first premiered. :rolleyes:

7. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3466-8927-7969
    This is very interesting. The Goo Tuber gets an amazing buff, basically it now works like the E3K in the first game(can splat at just shy of 3/4 charge) which means partial charged shots are back! The horror!

Squiffers and Bamboozlers also get a buff that allows them to charge faster mid-air, which really depends on how fast it'll work in-game. If they charge as fast as they do on ground, that's a huge game-changer.

Very curious on how this'll play out in game.

Saber, Dessgeega and ※Zachary like this.
  8. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    More tenta missiles and better accuracy for my Dualie Squelchers? Yes please! :D I've been thinking about picking up the Heavy Splatling, and now's seemingly the time - The Jet with that damage is great at killing with falloff damage and getting assists, and the Heavy will do even better in that field now.
    I don't know if it'll ever be meta, but the Goo Tuber becomes more and more viable with each patch, pulling off stunts no other charger can. Not only does it kill with partial charged shots, but partial charged shots on the move! There's no way that isn't going to be a threat.

※Zachary likes this.
  9. ※Zachary

※Zachary Senior Squid

*Sigh*

Increased special points for N-ZAP 85 to 210? Guess I'll need more Special Charge up lol. :p

calamaro likes this.
  10. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    You use 3 mains, right? That's already pretty wasteful, any amount beyond 2 does very little to actually nothing with higher amounts.

To add something to the conversation and not just nitpick... poor Glooga Dualies. Better accuracy and ink efficiency won't save that weapon from being garbage.

11. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Mr. Squiggly Squid Inkling Commander

Would I make people mad if I said I don’t really hate the Gloogas?

Ansible and ※Zachary like this.
  12. ※Zachary

※Zachary Senior Squid

Eh, even if it only helps a little that the little is gonna mean a lot now.
    Lol. The Glooga's are awful in ranked.

Ansible likes this.
  13. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Mr. Squiggly Squid Inkling Commander

I don’t hate the Gloogas, but I don’t like them either. They at least have an interesting concept, but my god they are completely ruined by their set. They’re definitely the worst dualies.

14. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    [​IMG]

If I had a fitting retort in defense of that goo tuber 1.0 among dualies I'd show you what for!

One day! You'll see, one day, before Splatoon 3 obsoletes this game the gloogas will be reliable!

And then they'll go back to square one in Splatoon 3. ¬_¬;

15. Mar$el

Mar$el Pro Squid

Forgot to mention this earlier, but if the 67% damage boost to partial charged shots applies to tap shots, then the goober is a 2 tap shot kill clocking in at 66.7 damage per tap... That's pretty insane along with its partial charge storage and kit. Now the most transparent weakness will be the range pretty trash range

16. Green Waffles

Green Waffles Inkling Fleet Admiral

UNDERCOVER / TENTA BRELLA BUFFS?!? =D

-tenta brella special point requirement 180 -> 170

._.

The Salamander King, Flopps and Yin_ like this.
  17. Kabel

Kabel Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Kabelly
    Sad no hydra buff );

Yin_ and Ansible like this.
  18. Cyan

Cyan Inkling Cadet

Ansible likes this.
  19. Yin_

Yin_ Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2325-6454-5517
    Welp the splatling got a damage boost so I'm game.

Ansible likes this.
  20. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Much appreciated @Cyan! Added a quick note to the end of the top post.

Looks like this evening could be fun.

21. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    BattadaBeast
    First of all, no blaster nerfs. Just by that, it's a decent patch.

Secondly, I'm glad they're finally giving a notable buff to the dynamo, but many people have been saying we want the good painting back. But, any buff to the dynamo is welcome.

However, the nerf to the N-Zap, or tickle, isn't going to make the N-Zap any less viable.

"Oh no, Instead of getting my special in 190 points, I have to cover 210 points of turf. That's a whole 20 more frames of shooting the ground before I get ink armor. I might have to run special charge up now, whatever should I do?"

Seriously though, you N-Zap mains got lucky. You see the most prevalent team compositions are with two N-Zap 85s on the same team. That's right, it's not just one, but TWO ON THE SAME TEAM.

It's bad enough that it's on almost every team, but having the premier team composition of this 2.1 meta be two N-Zaps is ridiculous. First of all, it makes any other weapon that can paint reliably (weapons like the Splattershot Jr, or the Splat Brella), completely irrelevant. After all, why put time and effort into learning the splat brella, when you can do just as well or better with an N-Zap in just a couple of games.

Also, with all the paint an N-Zap pours, there will be an ink armor for every 30 seconds of the match. Which by itself can win a team fight, let alone stacking it with a friend. And since the N-Zap can spam ink armor better than any other weapon out there, it makes: The splattershot jr even more irrelevant, the .96 gal and tri slosher only used for combat, the gold dynamo even more dead than it should be, and the vanilla squiffer is still not, even with this metagame defining special.

"What's the problem with all this ink armor?" "I like to be protected from everything"

First of all, it makes powerful and slow weapons even more useless. It's not like those weapons weren't struggling without ink armor everywhere anyway. The E-Liter and Dynamo were meta. In splatoon 1. With ink armor: your precise aim, mechanical skill, and prediction will only net you some damage that they'll recover before you can charge up your 1 shot attack again. Just because their teammate used ink armor from their spawn. It's not like the enemy even outplayed you. The N-Zap player on their team was painting the floor (Which is probably the easiest thing to do in this game) and pressed the right stick. No aim required. Your "misplay" was that you aimed correctly with your E-liter and hit an unaware target.

Now, if ink armor had more to it than "Press the right stick and watch all your teammates & you tank a blow" it would be a bit more balanced just because there's barely any commitment to it. With stingray and inkjet, you need to aim at your targets and use them in the appropriate situation. With Baller, Bomb Laucher, and Bubble Blower, you need to direct where the explosions are going to go and make sure you're not overextending too much with them. With tenta missles, you can fire them anywhere, but like stingray, it's really vulnerable upfront, and you need to lock on targets. And finally, with ink storm and splashdown: ink storm you at least need to direct where the storm is going and throw it correctly (be careful about walls that can obstruct your predicted throw.) And with splashdown, sure you can use it as a panic, and it has the same amount of button inputs as ink armor (with one). However, splashdown at the very least, requires you to be smart about your positioning. You can't use it in your spawn or far away from enemies.

What can ink armor do? You can use it anywhere you like, with no drawbacks in terms of effectiveness. If you use it as a panic, it will sometimes work if you have special power up, allowing you to armor yourself quicker. And if you die while using it as a panic, your team still gets ink armor anyway. So it doesn't matter if you kill the ink armor user after they failed to use their special correctly. And guess what? It's been the most prevalent special in competitive since the game's release. (Even though it's the easiest to use) Which feeds an awful mentality of using what's the easiest instead of actually mastering a weapon.

I hope you guys like another month of ink armor spam. I can't wait for 2.3.0

Cyan, MeTaGross, Yin_ and 8 others like this.
  22. Lonely_Dolphin

Lonely_Dolphin Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Einsam_Delphin
    I'm suprised they left out Autobombs, they've nerfed every other explosive now. Just shows how bombs are just much better than the rest of the sub weapons. I fear the Slosher buffs are pretty insignificant, so my main has been nerfed overall with less effective Suctions, though atleast the Foil Flingza has gotten I think significant enhancements to the main weapon itself. I mean Nintendo sure thinks they're significant as they bumped up it's special requirement.

And man, Nintendo really wants Dualies to be top tier lol.

Silxer likes this.
  23. Goolloom

Goolloom Pro Squid

NNID:
    Goolloom222
    @ThatOneGuy beat me to it, but in all honestly I don't think this patch will shake up the meta all that much.
    Since the NZap pretty much got nothing in terms of nerfs (Oh dear, 20 more points. Just run like 3 more subs of Special Charge and you'll be fine) and Ink Armor didn't get any changes, the competitive meta will still be double NZap

24. MeTaGross

MeTaGross Pro Squid

What's the purpose of increasing the dynamo's damage from 150 to 180? I honestly have no idea how that would ever help, as 100 damage kills an inkling and that little boost won't do much in salmon run.

25. Mar$el

Mar$el Pro Squid

Basically it means they have to adjust the weaker damages so that you have more lethal distance. The OHKO is the same but I guess you can two shot easier now

EDIT: After testing you can 2-shot from quite a ways away now. The horizontal swing has a MUCH better fighting chance now

#25 Mar$el, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Yin_ and Ansible like this.
  26. Flopps

Flopps Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3195-9273-4326
    Stop killing my hopes and dreams!
    [​IMG]

Hero of Lime, Yin_ and Ansible like this.
  27. Mar$el

Mar$el Pro Squid

Slosher buff will save my life... It paints the feet absolutely terribly, but now we got a cute little dot at the start of the ink trail when you slosh

Ansible and Flopps like this.
  28. Goont

Goont Senior Squid

NNID:
    PrankingMaster
    Yin_, Ansible, Flopps and 1 other person like this.
  29. Leronne

Leronne Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Leronne
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2169-0003-5242
    The dual squelcher used to be my main in splatoon 1. Heck. The vanilla and custom combined are my most inked weapon. The squelcher now is a dualie, which was kind of eh but i'll learn. When playing i noticed that i wasn't hitting my shots. 'Man i really suck' i thought to myself (and well it's true). But even so i felt like some shots just weren't connecting properly. Then the update comes around buffing the hitbox of dualies. I've only played 3 matches so far, but in those matches my shots consistently landed time and time again, way more than any other time i played. Suffice to say. My baby is back. And i'll be playing it and whatever variant we get in the future a lot.

emilyispink, Yin_, MeTaGross and 2 others like this.
  30. Silxer

Silxer Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Dan1771
    Honestly, I was on the same boat as you. I wanted to love the Dualie Squelchers (since the Dual Squelcher was one of my favorites from the first Splatoon game) but I noticed after playing with the weapon for a while I noticed that the only thing that really annoyed me about the weapon was the accuracy.

I've lost plenty of engagements at mid/close range simply because the random spread decided not to land on the target which kind of made me lose interest in the weapon due to how inconstant it was. Now they kind of fixed that issue, which makes me ten times more hyped for the custom variant due to it's excellent kit.

Leronne and Dessgeega like this.
  31. Goolloom

Goolloom Pro Squid

NNID:
    Goolloom222
    Well hey at least I can say with these Goo Tuber buffs it is probably going to do 2 things...
    1) It's going to make the weapon more forgiving with a much better close quarters option with more damage on not fully charged shots
    and 2) People might stop asking why I'm throwing the game just for having it equipped.
    I don't think it's going to become a meta weapon though, because the Splat Charger exists and you still need to put in effort to actually learn how the weapon works.

32. Windstar

Windstar Inkster Jr.

Disappointed a tad about the Forge nerf, but I already run Special Charge Up with it anyway.

33. StarRage

StarRage Inkling

NNID:
    Ronin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8220-3455-4627
    Really liking the Flingza buff! It was the first roller I could use well and was able to get good use of it in the past but now I'm really rocking with it. My ranged harass is now bringing many more Splats.

Also, haven't tried it in a match yet, but that movement buff to the Inkbrush is kinda nuts. Checked it out on the practice range and you really fly around while swinging now. Definitely the oddest buff, curious about how it changes it's use?

Ansible likes this.
  34. The Salamander King

The Salamander King Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    I find it odd that Nintendo buffs the Heavy, but not Jet, which is the one that actually needs a buff. Ever since the FIRST game, Jet has been seen as a worse heavy, and I thought it was going to change with this game. With the shot velocity buff, I thought they were going to slowly buff it so that it was always balanced, but not broken (something they did not do with Forge Pro). All us Jet mains (there are only like 6 of us including me) just want better painting and (in my case) slightly better range! It can't be that hard.

Egg Queen likes this.
  35. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Hi, I'm a Jet main, don't presume to speak for me or anyone else, thanks. To be lazy and quote Hitzel...

"The Jet is strong because it is a weapon with longer range than all of the other mid range shooters while still being a shooter. This sounds obvious but what this means is that it can play the part of a charger or Splatling and also be able to "go in" whenever it pleases. What the best jets are doing right now is doing the intuitive backline stuff, but when they see a teammate about to be aggressive they move up with them, help get the kill(s), and immediately fall back to being the backline. This sets them apart from chargers and Heavy while their range sets them apart from the mid range rifles like Pro and 96 etc."

I know you've been on this crusade to buff the Jet, but the Jet is viable. Not meta, but viable. The heavy got that buff so it perform better assists and kill with falloff damage, also both weapons struggle in this short-range meta if challenged up close and this helps the Heavy in that regard. The weapon is in a good place for the role it performs. Just let it go, man.

Flopps, Egg Queen and Leronne like this.
  36. The Salamander King

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    Yes most of this is true. Can you get an official date for when he said this? It sounds like Splatoon 1 CJS, that had Kracken to protect it in short range fights. New CJS has Sting Ray.

I'm not saying Jet is bad (If I did, why would I still be maining it after over 2 years?), I'm just saying that 90% of the competitive community looks at the thing like a worse Heavy, and making it paint better would be great in helping it get more use. Many top players, such as Gam3rAdvanced, The One, and FLC have put CJS low on their tier lists (or, in Gam3r's case, constantly calling the weapon and everyone who mains it bad) because of its subpar painting.

Flopps likes this.
  37. Windstar

Windstar Inkster Jr.

I don’t think the Jet needs much of a buff. It has the highest range in the game (of a shooter, anyway) and has a great support kit, especially for Tower Control. I like to think of the Jet as a “midline” gun, a gun that can switch between frontline and back line while still being useful.

You do bring up a good point about the painting power, though. It could use a slight fire rate buff.

38. The Salamander King

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    Also, another thing I forgot to touch on was Heavy. Heavy actually doesn't have much of a problem in the current meta. You charge for half a second and you can mow short-ranges down in no time.

What are the meta weapons right now? Forge Pro and Nzap.

Heavy beats most Nzaps because it shoots so fast Armour does very little, and It's pretty good against Forge's bubbles because of the same reason (and now the damage buff makes it even better).

Heavy Deco also has bubbles itself, which is one of the reasons Forge is so good.

39. Dessgeega

Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    That's from a few months ago on this very forum, and the Jet's situation hasn't changed since. Moreover, why do you care so much what the "pros" think, especially someone judgemental enough to say stuff like Gam3r does? That'd be obnoxious no matter what the topic is. If you like the weapon and know how to counter the meta with it, then the opinion of others shouldn't matter.

You're also overestimating the Heavy's close-quarters capabilities, but I'm not getting into that. The Jet isn't getting buffed.

40. Goolloom

Goolloom Pro Squid

NNID:
    Goolloom222
    ''If the Heavy doesn't have much of a problem in the meta, then why doesn't it get picked more?''
    No, the Heavy Splatling does have problems in this meta since close range weapons and Ink Armor are so prevalent. It's not that easy to mow down close rangers with a Splatling, that ''half second'' in a head to head fight is enough for any close range weapon to kill you first.
    It doesn't help the Heavy at all that you actually need to learn things about Splatlings (like partial charges timing) to be efficient with it, unlike the Forge Pro or N-Zap that takes much less effort for about the same rewards.

Second, because of how Ink Armor works (it blocks 1 shot, and then it has invulnerability frames as it breaks), it can block 3-4 shots of a Splatling before the other person becomes vulnerable again, so it gives them a big enough window to close the gap to kill you or run away. Then latency and/or lag kicks in, making this situation even worse.
    The damage buff to 32 will help against that though since armor will break on the first hit, but the point still stands.

Another reason why Forge Pro is being picked over Heavy Deco, is because the Forge can make more efficient use of their bubbles, because of the Suction Bombs and the fact that it doesn't have to charge up and can start shooting at them immediately after deploying them. It gives them more control and they are more free with their bubbles than the Heavy Deco here.

Leronne, Ansible and Dessgeega like this.