• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkopolis Geography - My 2021 Research

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Hello all! I came here today to share a document I had begun in January 2021. Unfortunately, about a week later, I also abandoned this project, but not without 20 pages of notes, thoughts, theories, conclusions, overall research and conclusions. It's filled with what I found, what I speculate, and also fun details I noticed. I made this with the intention of trying to round up as much information as I could to share with the community and contribute to piecing together Splatoon's interconnected world. While my drive and motivation to continue on this has been long lost, my interest in the topic has not.
And I thank Chuggaaconroy, not only for being the biggest inspiration of creating this document, but also giving that final spark of motivation to wrap up my final thoughts and bringing this document to the community. To all who find this: First of all, sorry for my lack of clear train of thoughts, I had a bad habit of working on this at midnight. But I do hope it brings new information or potential ideas to the geography of Inkopolis. Please enjoy this 26 page document of all my research, notes, thoughts and conclusions, and my sources placed all at the end of the document, I hope the links still exist and get you to where I found some of my evidence.
(And this is my first time attaching a file so I hope this works)

Attachments

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Hey, are there any fan fiction stories of Splatoon that explain some of the geography? Comics or anything?
Not that I'm aware of. The only piece I used was TamarinFrog's Tales from Cardamari Cafe to support the point of Bluefin Depot being a slums area. Since that's where her main character and his family lives, and I was already following her Splatoon comics. But there's probably one somewhere out there, hopefully someone will share if they do know of a piece.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Not that I'm aware of. The only piece I used was TamarinFrog's Tales from Cardamari Cafe to support the point of Bluefin Depot being a slums area. Since that's where her main character and his family lives, and I was already following her Splatoon comics. But there's probably one somewhere out there, hopefully someone will share if they do know of a piece.
If there's any importance to it. When I was researching it the research was set in phases.
Phase One, or Version 1.0, was focused on old Squidboards threads and Chuggaa's video if I recall correctly.
Phase Two, or Version 2.0, was focused on YouTube videos for research, and the Out of Bound or Hacking videos I did find on my own.
Phase Three, or Version 3.0, that's when I begun my own personal Splatoon 2 research and actually went inside the game, I still have the screenshots of the Recons I managed to do before I abandoned the project. If I wasn't too lazy to take it out of its box and set it up I also could've gone on my Wii U

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
I wonder if Inkopolis is a city-state. What do you think?

I.... Find that very hard to judge. I mean Inkopolis does seem quite independent but- I'm not 100% sure. It could be, but something about like Calamari County is throwing me off and pointing me towards otherwise.
The next closest thing I can think of is something like Washington DC's status. It's not its own thing, still in some country (which we do know exist, I believe the artbook confirms either 20 or 200 countries existing), but it is separated as if it was its own thing. I don't know how to word it. It's a district of some sort.
I could believe Inkopolis to be a city-state but my gut is telling me it's more along the lines of some weird quasi-city-state.

Edit: Well, thinking about the view from Splatoon 2's Octo Canyon, maybe it is a city-state. Since the view suggests more that Inkopolis is an island city of some sort. Which I hadn't even thought about nor noticed until I was watching Chuggaa's Splatoon 2 videos. If it's on some big island already, maybe it is a city-state

Last edited:

frankus

Banned (6 points)
Splatoon 1: Kidnacho
Level: 50 Rank: S 30
Mains: Krak-On Roller, Carbon Roller, Octobrush, Wasabi Splattershot
Teams Supported: Callie: 4 (Team) Marie: 11 Neutral: Snowman vs. Sandcastle. 10/5 W/L
Splatoon 2: Kidnacho (FC: SW-3767-4369-9288)
Teams Supported: Pearl: 9 Marina: 13 Missed: 4 - 14/9 W/L
Bonus Splatfests: Missed: 2 (Egg and Super Star) Won: Ketchup Lost: Trick
Mains: Neo Splash-O-Matic, (Zink) Mini Splatling, Kensa .52 Gal, and More!
Kidnacho: Level 81 SplatZones S TowerControl S Rainmaker S+ 6 Clam Blitz S SR - Profreshional 400

Very impressive. I wish I could have experienced Splatfest but got Splatoon 1 and 2 last year. I would love to play you 1 on 1 sometimes and try out my Ticker-Tack-Attack!
1644936046492.png

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Splatoon 1: Kidnacho
Level: 50 Rank: S 30
Mains: Krak-On Roller, Carbon Roller, Octobrush, Wasabi Splattershot
Teams Supported: Callie: 4 (Team) Marie: 11 Neutral: Snowman vs. Sandcastle. 10/5 W/L
Splatoon 2: Kidnacho (FC: SW-3767-4369-9288)
Teams Supported: Pearl: 9 Marina: 13 Missed: 4 - 14/9 W/L
Bonus Splatfests: Missed: 2 (Egg and Super Star) Won: Ketchup Lost: Trick
Mains: Neo Splash-O-Matic, (Zink) Mini Splatling, Kensa .52 Gal, and More!
Kidnacho: Level 81 SplatZones S TowerControl S Rainmaker S+ 6 Clam Blitz S SR - Profreshional 400

Very impressive. I wish I could have experienced Splatfest but got Splatoon 1 and 2 last year. I would love to play you 1 on 1 sometimes and try out my Ticker-Tack-Attack!
View attachment 7449
Thank you, as you might tell I'm a big Splatoon fan lol. I was lucky enough I went from not ever hearing of Splatoon to begging to get my hands on it 3 days after its release on Wii U. So I still got to experience everything, and of course Splatoon 2 made the perfect gift releasing right before my birthday. I would love to get into X Rank and more into the competitive scene. But I know I still got a lot to learn and improve. As well as actually playing the game more often. But hey, the other day I got 17 kills and 10 assists with a Jr in Turf War. That looks like an interesting way of attacking, a little confusing for me to visualize but I think I get the idea. Maybe similar to circling your enemy, don't stay standing in front of them, if you can swim, swim around them and get them from the side. May also lead to stupid 1v1 situations such as the time a Mini Splatling (Me) and a Roller was spinning in circles and traded in the end

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Like Singapore. That is cool. It would be cool if it could all be explored. Battles in arenas and outside of them the missions themselves.
I know it's off topic but that's kinda why the 2nd half of my original game concept exists lol.

But yeah, I was so thrown off when I saw the Octo Canyon city view. But maybe it could be a large island city, and still have the boundaries and sections as I speculated, and it's a city-state. And it's not too far off the coast, maybe Calamari County is the mainland, hence the 3 hour long train ride between the two locations.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Do you write fan fiction for Splatoon or are you thinking of writing one based on geography?
Nope. The furthest my plans were gonna go was some layout or drawing of a potential map of Inkopolis. Others had put in their fair share of what they thought the geography would look like because the world is interconnected. So, this is mine and what I personally found. It was meant to be a fun project.

For me making stuff, right now that's just concepts and stuff related to Game Development, since that's what I wanna get into. Squeaky's Project Splatoon 3 inspired me to think of my own Splatoon 4 concept, and then my original game concept is hugely inspired by Splatoon. The core/one half inspired by the culture of Turf Wars and the bright colorful world. The other half by some of the wants and wishes fans may have, such as exploring the world, but realistically I don't think will ever happen. Not for the foreseeable future at least.

frankus

Banned (6 points)
That's really cool. I program games about bicycles called The Trail Hogs for fun. I wrote a crossover story where the Trail Hogs are biking it up in Inkopolis and where the rules of Turf War changes. I would love to see your Splatoon 4 concept. I take it you're thinking of becoming a game developer. I would love to work for Nintendo but if I don't I may produce my own version of Splatoon when I build the programming skills I need.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
That's really cool. I program games about bicycles called The Trail Hogs for fun. I wrote a crossover story where the Trail Hogs are biking it up in Inkopolis and where the rules of Turf War changes. I would love to see your Splatoon 4 concept. I take it you're thinking of becoming a game developer. I would love to work for Nintendo but if I don't I may produce my own version of Splatoon when I build the programming skills I need.
Sounds cool! And it'd be nice to share the concept but... Like the other two documents I have in the works, it's only partially done in its first draft. To give an idea, the original game concept I've had for a few years now is the furthest along, and it's maybe in the range of 40-55% done of the first draft. It's still 20 pages long but far from any completion. Partially due to not having transferred all info on a less formal document listing ideas. While less than 40%, Splatoon 4's kinda in that same position. That and of course I'd like to keep me and my ideas private until I reach of point of being comfortable to share and ready to share.

Nonetheless, this thread is supposed to be discussion about the geography of Inkopolis and any discussion about personal thoughts on it, agreements or disagreements (with respect), etc. Anything to add or conflict what I had personally found and/or concluded. And I think it's gone off that track by now.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Very cool. Good luck with it. Will you draw art of a map of Inkopolis? That would be cool.
That was the plan but when I stopped this project I stopped everything about my part in it. I still would enjoy conversations about the geography itself but furthering research and my own effort, that's long gone. I'm more focused on other things. And the only map I intend on making is for an unrelated project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom