• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inktoling Concept

Cephalobro

I have seen some fans and even artists make concepts for an Inktoling or some kind of species that are a combination of Inklings and Octolings. Some of them even suggested the species is based on the vampire squid.

For those who don't know, the vampire squid isn't actually a true squid, despite having the name, it's actually an order of its own because it resembles both a squid and an octopus, well that and it can regenerate its tentacle if separated from the main body much like how the octopus can as well.

If there's another Inkling/Octoling-like species introduced, the vampire squid could be what that species is based on. It's also naturally the next step for new playable species, we have Inklings and Octolings, now it's time for a combination of both. My reasoning for the vampire squid based species or "Inktolings" for an easier explanation. Lore reasoning would be that they came into existence sometime after the events of Splatoon 2 where Inkling-Octoling couples had children of their own, which activated an ancient gene that caused an Inktoling to be born. In appearance, I see the Inktolings having their teeth or beak being visible all the time, even with their mouths closed. This is because real vampire squids actually have cirri, which are intimidating, yet harmless spines in which the vampire squid use them to intimidate predators. I would also see them having webbed hands, much like how the vampire squid has webbings between its tentacles.

We already see that fingertips of Inklings and Octolings are different, Inkling fingertips have flat ends while Octoling fingertips are more pointed.

Now you may be saying "But squids and octopi can't make hybrid offsprings." However, this isn't the first time something scientifically and naturally impossible happened within Splatoon, we can see that with the Octarians because really, even though real octopus tentacles keep moving on their own for a longer amount of time than squid tentacles after being separated from the body, it's not a reproduction. However, it is a reproduction with the Octarians seeing how they do get a mind of their own and develop basic features of multicellular organisms. Another feature that vampire squids share with octopi is the ability to regrow separated tentacles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom