• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Insert "Creative and catchy Hello-title!" here!

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Hello Splatoon-Community! Just making my entrance here, since I've been looking for a Splatoon community for a good while. And heh... Squidboards is the first thing you stumble upon.

I am an European player, wanting to somehow get in touch with competitive Splatoon 2 gaming.
I've played the first Splatoon, but not really competitively. I played until Level 50 of course, did a bunch of ranked until I hit S there but then quit until I heard of Splatoon 2 coming out.
I ended up getting myself a Switch and Splatoon 2 recently and fell in love with this colourful game again.

So as for my stats in Splatoon 2: I've been playing a decent lot lately, so I've hit level 39 (obviously started after that crazy coupon farming exploit...) and completed story, unlocked all the hero weapons and whatever.
As for Ranked, I did manage to pull myself to S+(1) in Splat Zones, S+1 in Tower Control and S+ in Rainmaker. However, being a player that just started getting a bit better and spending thought on competitive level play, I'm recently hestitant to play Ranked as I'm afraid of deranking again. It seems frustrating that - once you establish S+(any number) - but then get a crappy streak and derank, you're thrown back to S+0 again.

As far as weapons go, I've settled with maining the Octobrush (bear with me, I play Splatoon 2 in non-English, so I may go wrong with the English names for weapons, stages etc...). The process of deciding that took quite long. I've first played a Jet Squelcher and still like it, but mastering the precision seems to be an endless route with that one.
Obviously I have no idea what the roles you take part in a team are called around here, but I'd say I'm a sneaky guy. I like to sneak up (with that ninja ability, of course) and multi-kill as many people for my team to proceed into enemy territory. And sometimes I have my moments and then I do hilarious things to the enemy with that Octobrush!
Depending on state of game, I can also adapt and guard the tower etc. There's probably also a little allrounding in my game style.

I've also been trying to find good quipment for myself. So I've been farming ability-fragments (I hope they're called that in English...) to piece together the "perfect" equipment. Since I like to main the Ninja ability along with my Octobrush, I was sure I need either shoes or a hat with triple Swimming speed+ and a main swimming speed +, to atleast cancel out the defect that ink ninja gives you. Regarding the remaining slots, I'm unsure what to go for. I either go full swimming speed, or add some running speed into there.
What's stopped me from deciding was one important question. DOES the running speed+ actually enhance your movement while you swing the Octobrush at your enemy? Pointers here would be welcome!

That's why I want to get involved with those League battles. Since I'm beyond teenager age and really know no one else besides my lady who plays this game, (and she plays Splatoon 2 on the same Switch obviously) I was hoping to find some people here. Knowing there are specific boards for this, I'm still unsure how to go on about it: Do I just "spam" my friend code all over and hope somebody befriends me and is online so we can do league battles? Or do you actually join a "big group" so that you mostly will find someone of your team to do League battles with? Would be nice if a veteran could land a hand and explain that business.

Finally I'd like to know: How is the Splatoon 2 community? Is it mature and friendly? Or is it a toxic, rivalry lot? :-P
Do a lot of players use that Nintendo VC app? And if yes, does it help coordinate well? Because I've had random fights in (ranked and outside of it) where I found players coordinating so well together, that I was sure that they must sit next to each other or atleast talk to develop such decent synergy.

Anyway! That's it for now. Thanks for reading, if you bothered. I hope some people will say a word or two to help me with my questions and finding a path in here. If not, I'll just start randomly posting, I suppose. :-P

- LiX

2shotsofvodka

Give me all your Vodka
It depends on what part of the splatoon community you're on, I find squidboards area to be pretty chill. Also, Welcome to squidboards! If you got any questions feel free to ask. I, myself don't use the vc app, since all my friends are on either skype or discord. Finding friends? When the shoutbox has people online, I find there to be a good spot, also the squidboards discord is good too. Though making a group in the Groups tab is another way of doing it with people similar to you(competitive - casual - adult - kids yada yada)

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Wow! That's an intro! I used to main the Octobrush too but sadly because of my job, my right index finger is constantly swore and playing the Octobrush is too painful now. I'm ATTEMPTING to main the Hero Charger now. Ninja Squid with all swimming speed? I REALLY don't want to meet you in battle. :p
As for the Splatoon community? It's pretty amazing! One of the best communities I've been in. The only time I felt annoyed in this community was when people were picking on my little, rapping diva (which has calmed down since then thankfully). People are always eager to help and give some legit good advice. You can post your friend code in some forums, but my best advice is to join a Splatoon Discord group! They're usually pretty cool and people are always looking for league buddies. Anywayz, welcome to Board de Squids and I hope we splat it up one day not with that ninja squid swim speed combo plz!

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Spoopy Kiba - Hello there and thank you for the pointers on how to find people to play with. That the Switch app sees seldom use when it comes to VC got obvious to me fairly quickly after I opened this thread. Everyone seems to - like you - use discord indeed, heh.

Mr. Squiggly Squid - Hey there and thank you! The players really seem to be a decent folk. By now, I had the chance to talk to a few (using discord for coordinated matches) and all of them were quite friendly. It's simply more fun to play in a relaxed atmosphere. There's a lot of games where people are up at each other's throats in the competitive scene. I find such scenarios lack the entertainment games are meant to provide, heh.

SilverBlue-Neko - Hello! Sorry to hear that you can't run the Octobrush anymore. After trying it in more competitive games, it's still fun. Even though it just doesn't prove to be effective in each and every game...
Again, good to hear people find the community to be nice. I've managed to put myself into a "clan" even and they've been good to me.

And sure we can splat sometime. Added my friend code to the profile. Add me, so I can bring down the Ninja Brush on you. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom