• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is Comeback worth it on a Quick Respawn Set?

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I personally think it is, especially with Quick Super Jump/Swim speed up so you can get back to the action relatively quickly. It is even more worth it with the new gear hat that has Skalop Brand.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I don't really think so. That's an ability that only helps for a set amount of time, and it only helps when you die; I've always personally felt that you should design your gear around NOT dying. The slot you use for Comeback could go to Swim Speed, Ink Recovery or another ability that will help you far more throughout the match.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Honestly, I feel all the Headgear exclusive Abilities are pretty terrible. Tenacity is the best of them all, and even that is pretty crappy and situation heavy. Comeback is better than Opening Gambit and Last Ditch, but it's still pretty bad. Like NeoSeth said, you want to focus more on when you're alive. That is the main reason Tenacity is the better of the four abilities, because it works when you're alive, but your team mates are dead. I'd honestly go about finding a better use for that slot. You can never go wrong with one of the Speed ups and Ink Recovery Up. They're easily the best abilities in the game.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I don't really think so. That's an ability that only helps for a set amount of time, and it only helps when you die; I've always personally felt that you should design your gear around NOT dying. The slot you use for Comeback could go to Swim Speed, Ink Recovery or another ability that will help you far more throughout the match.
Honestly, I feel all the Headgear exclusive Abilities are pretty terrible. Tenacity is the best of them all, and even that is pretty crappy and situation heavy. Comeback is better than Opening Gambit and Last Ditch, but it's still pretty bad. Like NeoSeth said, you want to focus more on when you're alive. That is the main reason Tenacity is the better of the four abilities, because it works when you're alive, but your team mates are dead. I'd honestly go about finding a better use for that slot. You can never go wrong with one of the Speed ups and Ink Recovery Up. They're easily the best abilities in the game.
You realize this is on a Quick Respawn build, when the main purpose is to constantly be trading? Even though it's based on dying, it's definitely extremely effective on RM/TC.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You realize this is on a Quick Respawn build, when the main purpose is to constantly be trading? Even though it's based on dying, it's definitely extremely effective on RM/TC.
Then you'd probably want to invest in Quick Super jump too. Taking up even more slots. I know the strategy, I know what it is meant to do. Either way I'd rather spend my slots on things that help me when I'm alive than things to aid me every time I die.

Perhaps that's just me as a defensive player, but I feel it makes more than enough sense.

Long story short, I'd rather invest in something that aids me throughout the entirety of the match as opposed to something that helps every time I die. Which with my weapons of choice is not very often. So perhaps it's a personal bias in my case.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
How about this, what are the best abilities for a QR build, including how much of an ability you use
Idealistically you get the new headpiece w/ comeback that is skalop brand.
Then the Retro Gamer Jersey, which is one quick respawn main and favors quick super jump.
The boots are up to you honestly, but I go with Choco Slogs (?) which are quick respawn boots that favor swim speed up.

Leaving you with 3 QR subs, 2 mains, 3 swim speed up subs, and 3 QS subs. Of course this is using only stuff that has favorable rerolls, if you save-scum you can probably put together something more effective.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
As with the comeback/quick respawn gear, I highly recommend Quick Super Jump/Stealth Jump. Since you want to abuse your power after respawning, getting to the field quickly can be more important than quick respawn.

Idealy, this would be my recommended set, but it would take ages to roll the headband.

Traditional Headband: :ability_comeback:l:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
Retro Gamer Jersey: :ability_quickrespawn:l:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
Cream High Tops: :ability_stealthjump:l:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

The shoes are honestly the best Stealth Jump for Comeback, seeing as the swim speed can let you approach opponents faster.

If you don't care about the Comeback as much, you can always use the same set, swap headband with Straw Boater.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Idealistically you get the new headpiece w/ comeback that is skalop brand.
Then the Retro Gamer Jersey, which is one quick respawn main and favors quick super jump.
The boots are up to you honestly, but I go with Choco Slogs (?) which are quick respawn boots that favor swim speed up.

Leaving you with 3 QR subs, 2 mains, 3 swim speed up subs, and 3 QS subs. Of course this is using only stuff that has favorable rerolls, if you save-scum you can probably put together something more effective.
It is worth noting that while the Zink brand does give the Retro Gamer Jersey a high chance of rolling Quick Super Jump, it also gives it a very low chance of rolling additional Quick Respawn subs. Thus, I personally would prefer something like the new Squid Satin Jacket (which is Zekko brand, offering easy Special Saver rolls).

Alternatively, if you're determined to get 3 Quick Respawn subs to go with the main ability, the easiest pieces of gear with which to get them are the Traditional Apron and the Power Armor, since they're not biased toward any other ability.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
It is worth noting that while the Zink brand does give the Retro Gamer Jersey a high chance of rolling Quick Super Jump, it also gives it a very low chance of rolling additional Quick Respawn subs. Thus, I personally would prefer something like the new Squid Satin Jacket (which is Zekko brand, offering easy Special Saver rolls).

Alternatively, if you're determined to get 3 Quick Respawn subs to go with the main ability, the easiest pieces of gear with which to get them are the Traditional Apron and the Power Armor, since they're not biased toward any other ability.
The QR build I suggested was simply to create a build that let you respawn pretty quickly and still be able to abuse Comeback by having 2 improved movement options. On top of this you wouldn't have to necessarily be lucky in order to get the 3 favored subs easily. To work with unbiased gear you are better off save-scumming for faster results, because the odds of getting what you want is even lower than using favored gear.

Honestly it's really personal preference, Squid Satin Jacket is really good too with special saver.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Honestly, I feel all the Headgear exclusive Abilities are pretty terrible. Tenacity is the best of them all, and even that is pretty crappy and situation heavy.
If someone dies before you fully charge your special, Tenacity will give you 11-12P(provided they don't have Quick Respawn) which is roughly the same as a Main Special Charge Up. In modes which a lot of people on both teams die over and over (Tower), it can get more useful than a single Special Charge Up.

As for Comeback, you'd first have to ask yourself what CB can do to be useful for this situation where you just died and have to go back to the objective.
CB gives Ink Saver Main 1.5x and Ink Saver Sub 1x, which you aren't going to need anymore by the time you reach the fray and CB's effects run out. CB also gives you Swim and Run Speed Up Main 1x, which is slightly more useful but you're better off with a regular Swim Speed Up Instead(Not to mention,CB's speed buffs becomes redundant if you Super Jump instead of swimming back to the fray). CB is only useful if you safely can SJ directly to the enemy, which is not often, and then you can only get it's effects for 15 or so seconds and that is if you don't jump to the sight of someone pre-firing at your jump marker. You can add Stealth Jump to it but this would shorten the effects of CB even further.

Personally i wouldn't recommend it and instead pick another Quick Respawn. I'd only go for Quick Super Jump if you have a set with beakons where you can safely jump to, otherwise you can try Special Saver if you can't roll gear with only QR on them.
Haunt might also get interesting, but none of the shirt that have Haunt have the Zekko/Skalop brand. I guess you just have to get lucky with them, i suppose.

Demosthenes

Inkling
NNID
OrigamiMan
I love Comeback myself. I often use the classic Sploosh-o-Matic and my play style with that weapon is to lay down beacons, throw myself into the fray and more than likely take out one or two people, die, then get back quicker than them. Comeback is also quite useful as it decreases Beacon ink consumption.

I run:
Paintball Mask: :ability_comeback: // :ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Octoling Armor: :ability_inksaversub: // :ability_swimspeed::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
Moto Boots: :ability_quickrespawn: // :ability_specialduration::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

I know it isn't the best gear but I'm neither a perfectionist nor can I afford to be one. Though I am hoping to get my Squid Nordic to triple Quick Respawns c:

Last edited:

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Comeback is extremely useful as it increases Super Jump speed
Not true. I still think it's worth using, but please don't use false info to support your position.

Basically, Comeback gives you roughly 1 main ability's worth each of Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, Run Speed Up, and Swim Speed Up.

Comeback has no effect on rate of ink recovery or Super Jump speed.

Now, I know this isn't a perfect way to assess the value of the ability, but we can try looking at this mathematically to form an estimate of Comeback's value.

Equipping 1 main ability of Ink Saver Main gives you that benefit for the full match. In terms of actual time, this amounts to 3 minutes (180 seconds) in Turf War and anywhere from around 30 seconds to 5 and a half minutes (330 seconds) in a Ranked match, depending on how the match goes. In the case of Ink Saver Main, however, you can't benefit from the ability while you're respawning, so we actually have to subtract about 6 seconds for each time that you get splatted (less if you also run Quick Respawn).

Now, Comeback, on the other hand, gives you roughly 4 main abilities' worth of benefit for 20 seconds each time that you're splatted. We do, however, have to take into account the fact that not all these abilities are equally desirable (Ink Saver Sub in particular being worth less) and the possibility that you'll be splatted again before you can enjoy all 20 seconds of Comeback's effects. There's also the fact that Comeback only takes effect right after you respawn, which means that not all of the benefits it bestows can immediately be taken advantage of.

All in all, let's say that Comeback is roughly equal in value to having 1 main ability's worth of benefit for 50 seconds for each time that you get splatted. (This is 2.5 times its actual duration, during which you have the benefit of 4 abilities.)

At this valuation, Comeback becomes worth using at about 3 or 4 deaths per match in Turf War and 6 or 7 deaths per match in Ranked (assuming no early KO and no overtime).

Conclusion: If you're playing well using a non-Quick Respawn build, you probably won't get splatted enough times to warrant its use. (If you're not playing well, you could easily die enough for it to be beneficial, but it probably won't be enough to compensate for your poor play.) However, if you are using a Quick Respawn build and you're forcing trades constantly, you can easily end up dying enough to make Comeback worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom