• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Is respawn punisher worth it for slayers?

hoo

Inkling
NNID
jawsbenjamin3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5606-6403-6999
Since slayers often die often, RP kinda seems counter productive

the

Inkling Commander
Since slayers often die often, RP kinda seems counter productive
Yeah I think you’ve kinda answered your own question here. Like yeah a really good slayer could make use of it, but unless it gets a buff i’d say it’s too risky

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
No, in fact QR is more useful than RP, generally speaking. Playing slayer means there will be some games where you die a lot without scoring kills, and QR functions as a safety net to give you an extra chance to stop the enemy team's push. RP is only useful in the few games where you outpreform the entire enemy and your team, where you can give yourself some extra stopping power. However despite what some salty players say, those games are very rare.

If you get outplayed with RP, you not only get over an extra second of spawn time, but also you'll lose a huge chunk of your special charge. If you win a lot with QR... you won't get a disadvantage.

Reactions: the

Kai.E

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8062-1940-0630
I never use re spawn punisher because of how careless I get when I play, but I bet it would be very useful for high tier charger players who know how to keep distance. But most of the time re spawn punisher seems pretty counter productive, especially for shorter ranged weapons like the splatershot Jr. and sploosh-omatic.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
The only weapon I use Respawn Punisher on is the Hero Charger Replica, and that's not even all the time. Reason being, stingray and the charger and splat bombs are all deadly long range threats. I wouldn't recommend respawn punisher on slayers for the most part. However. There is one slayer weapon in particular that can play better with respawn punisher. This is the Vanilla Splattershot. First let's take a look at it's kit compared to the tentatek variant. The ttek is far more preferred because inkjet is far superior to the splashdown, and splat bombs are also a good sub weapon. But, given that the vanilla splattershot has burst bombs, one could argue that they make this variant a better kit for increased mobility and 1v1 potential. Essentially, it's main weapon (and sub) will be killing more and be doing a better job against the increasingly longer ranged comps we've been seeing lately (because of burst bombs then strafing and the mobility that comes with that along with the immediate damage from burst bombs as opposed to the timer on splat bombs). Then we take a look at the effects of respawn punisher. It takes away special charge and a little respawn time. So, if the vanilla splattershot has a useless special that gets shut down pretty much any time the user activates it, why not use respawn punisher on it? This is referred to as the respawn punisher splattershot. The weapon will be doing better at killing and 1v1s and punishing more people, with little effect on yourself because splashdown is worthless and you won't be using it anyway. Don't get me wrong - this is super niche and on a general basis I would recommend the tentatek variant because of the amazing potential of inkjet. But this is a viable ability to run on the vanilla variant.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I think the only time RP has use is for zoner weapons like Jet Squelcher or Splat Charger. Other than that, I'd skip this ability and use something more universally useful like Swim Speed Up.

Jagginator

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6478-7859-9273
I personally think RP is a pretty interesting ability to look into since it puts a serious dent on the more special and QR focused meta, letting your opponents respawn with almost no special and cutting the effectiveness of QR by 85% for them, same goes for you of course but you can prepare for for it by picking a weapon with a "bad special" and running gear with no QR. I'm currently trying the Bamboozler with RP and can say it works fairly well in rank X. I'm definitely starting to see less specials than usually in X when I use RP and get atleast 7 kills, which helps massively.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Inkster Jr.
Don't play league but I love RP in ranked.

I can qualitatively feel the difference in games when I perform to the level I get above average splats. Momentum swings in my team favor are bigger and in the early and mid game the map control feels a lot longer than normal.

1 person per team having RP isn't a detriment. Losing the special charge meter is the serious drawback but the games where I under perform and get splatted too often don't feel as much of negative in terms of having another body on the field. As long as I have a positive kda even when I'm dying too much the respawn penalty itself doesn't feel that different from games with a different build.

It is the special meter penalty that matters most and I feel if I worked in a team instead of solo this wouldn't be an issue.

I prefer using 52 and 96 gals with RP.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
As a blaster player myself, I don't find it worth while.

The time punishment is not worthwhile for people you splat. As the time difference goes from 8.5 seconds -> 9.3 seconds. Which is a noticeable difference sure, but it's nothing too defining.

Even then, the special loss is way too much to trade. Losing 72.5% of your special every time you get splatted is too much for me. Especially for slayer type weapons that can't paint much. Mostly weapons like the blaster, sloshing machine, and slosher deco, just don't like having to build up their specials again.

If you're needing to run a certain amount of abilities and you don't have the room for respawn punisher, don't bother with it honestly. The time and special delay is an okay bonus towards your enemies, but if you're getting rolled over with respawn punisher, you're likely going to do nothing for the rest of the match. Since you can't get your specials going, and you're out much longer than your team.

"I'll just use quick respawn to counter the effect" Luckily, Respawn punisher nullifies the quick respawn effect. Which again, sucks for you if you wanted to use this with less harm to yourself.

In my opinion, respawn punisher is a double edged sword, but the sword seems to be sharpened more towards you. Most of the time, it just isn't worth the risk. On the topic of slayers, slayers typically like to take risks and start fights.
Respawn Punisher just doesn't support that type of play. That's more of something a defensive player would have in their mindset. Mostly on a long ranged weapon like a splatling or a charger.

Last edited:

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
As a blaster player myself, I don't find it worth while.

The time punishment is not worthwhile for people you splat. As the time difference goes from 8.5 seconds -> 9.3 seconds. Which is a noticeable difference sure, but it's nothing too defining.

Even then, the special loss is way too much to trade. Losing 72.5% of your special every time you get splatted is too much for me. Especially for slayer type weapons that can't paint much. Mostly weapons like the blaster, sloshing machine, and slosher deco, just don't like having to build up their specials again.

If you're needing to run a certain amount of abilities and you don't have the room for respawn punisher, don't bother with it honestly. The time and special delay is an okay bonus towards your enemies, but if you're getting rolled over with respawn punisher, you're likely going to do nothing for the rest of the match. Since you can't get your specials going, and you're out much longer than your team.

"I'll just use quick respawn to counter the effect" Luckily, Respawn punisher nullifies the quick respawn effect. Which again, sucks for you if you wanted to use this with less harm to yourself.

In my opinion, respawn punisher is a double edged sword, but the sword seems to be sharpened more towards you. Most of the time, it just isn't worth the risk. On the topic of slayers, slayers typically like to take risks and start fights.
Respawn Punisher just doesn't support that type of play. That's more of something a defensive player would have in their mindset. Mostly on a long ranged weapon like a splatling or a charger.
With the recent Special Saver buff it “only” takes approx 4 subs of Special Saver to offset the Respawn Punisher’s special meter penalty to the user. So you don’t necessarily have to absorb the special penalty. Although that’s admittedly a lot of gear space (1 main, 4 sub) to essentially designate to one ability.

But I agree with you on Quick Respawn not really being a viable option to offset the respawn speed penalty. It’s not going to kick in every time you respawn. So unlike stacking Swim Speed Up to offset Ninja Squid, you can never truly get back to par with Punisher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom