• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is the Dual Squelcher Simply a Better N-Zap 85?

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Well, it has the same subs and specials and it has more range, and a decent firerate. So, is it just and improved N-Zap?

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
The most noticeable differences, at least for comparing the two with the same sub/specials, are that the n-zaps get more fire rate but less range, and the duals more range and less fire rates.

I want to say that duals ink turf better due to the increased range, and n-zaps are better at close up confrontations. But that's all just from my perspective/opinion.
I wouldn't say one's better than the other. All weapons have a niche, and it just takes the right kid/squid(debatable) to come along and pick one up.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
The Dual Squelcher is not an upgrade to the N-Zap 85. Believe it or not the difference in battle between the 2 actually results in the differences of the fire rate and range. Because N-Zap has a higher rate of fire than the Dual Squelcher and has the same raw damage, N-Zap becomes a far better killer than the Dual Squelcher. The fire rate difference is equal to every 5 shots that the Dual Squelcher fires, the N-Zap has fired 6. This means that the N-Zap will kill its target a whole 3 frames faster than the Dual himself. Keep in mind, this is only when every consecutive shot hits their target. Lets say that they both miss their 3rd shot; N-Zap with then hit during the 15th frame, then the 20th frame it kills. The Dual will then hit the 18th, then the 24th. In other words, Higher fire rate weapons find themselves with more shot forgiveness.

The basics of shooter vs shooter fighting involve both pushing towards the opponent and moving away. This is so that both targets will try to get the target into their optimal range. The closer ranged shooters will be the pushers, initiating the confrontation, while longer ranged shooters will move backwards, avoiding the dps of the shorter ranged weapons. This means that the different ranged shooters will need a loadout to complement their places in this fight. Both of these weapons have the splat bomb and the Echolocator. Splat Bomb is a great sub for killing slower speed targets who don't move out of their spots easily, while the echolocator is for reveling the location of hidden enemies, allowing you to hunt them down before they see you. Because Dual squelcher is generally going to be running away from its targets, Echolocator does not pair as well for it as N-Zap 85, who will be moving towards their opponents far more often.
Also since Dual is a longer ranged weapon, it will generally be fighting closer ranged weapons who will be the ones pushing territory, and these weapons will move far more than your Pro/.96 gal user. Since N-zap is closer ranged, it will be making far more use of this sub to take down the longer ranged weapons it will be fighting who have slower movement speeds. In essence, N-Zap 85 will be making far more and better use of its sub and special weapons!

In the end, the main point I want to drive out here is the fact that the range stat in of itself is not a positive trait nor a negative one. Range is rather the stat that determines the most how you will fight. Higher range means more likely to move backwards to out range the opponent while shorter range means more likely to get close to out fight the opponent.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I find both weapons good. N-Zap is a better tool for spreading ink, while the Dual Squelcher can counter close range foes like rollers and miniguns really well. Both make good use of their sub and special, and both are relatively balanced weapons.

Cherry

Inkster Jr.
I agree they have their different uses. I like dual squelcher in ranked at least because I'm more of a defensive player.. Echolocation helps me avoid enemies/sneak up on them from far away.

Last edited:

Hawk

Inkster Jr.
I use both weapons frequently and they feel very different to me, the N-Zap inks and kills faster, and I think it also uses less ink per shot. The squelcher on the other hand has much longer range. I don't think one is objectively superior to the other.

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam
Something that I would like to add is that the N-ZAP '85 has 72% run speed while firing, while the Dual Squelcher only has 50%. The '85 also takes about 2 seconds longer to run out of ink. So really, for defense, I'd say Dual Squelcher is better, but I'd definitely go with the '85 for offensive play.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They're both good in their own way: the N-Zap has a higher rate of fire (which means it can splat faster) and can spread ink a lot better due to the increased spread of each shot, while the Dual Squelcher can attack from a longer distance (which means it can harrass enemies better) and has an easier time landing shots on enemies due to the tighter spread of each shot.

Another thing to note is that the N-Zap consumes less ink than the Dual Squelcher, and that the Dual Squelcher requires at least 2 main Damage Ups to splat enemies with 3 main Defense Ups or higher while the N-Zap doesn't*.

*I'll confirm this later, since I might be wrong on that one...

Last edited:

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
Well, I don't use the N-Zap a lot, but I'm one of the few players that rather have the Dual Squelcher than the Splat pro or the .Gal.
First it comes from your play style, but I find more interesting ways to play with the range of the Squelcher, is hard to get the kill, and you have to aim much better, but I wouldn't say it's more defensive just because of that, front to front with a N-Zap, I'm surely be defeated, but that doesn't stop me to go for the close kill if I can, people with less range will try to flank you, after knowing you outrange them, that's the moment when I push and get a close kill, surely, sometimes it's about walk backwards, but people in higher ranks already know that they will loose if they follow me like that, so lately I find myself pushing more than defending, also I can deal easily with blasters and most rollers.
For a short range weapon I think Splatershots are more interesting, they need even less frames to get the kill, S lobbies has more of these than N-Zaps.
About the use of the sub and the special, with the special you don't have to run and expect your team to get the others, that's how it doesn't work, your opponents are exposed and the fact they know it makes them even more weak, it's the moment when I push more and try to clean the field for the team, or the other use I like is when the other team is respawning I use the locator to build some time and also to tell everyone what way are they taking and prepare a great wall.
And splatboms are a bless, I mastered their use, I know is not very ink efficient, since they cost a lot of ink and you're likely to run out of ink, but once you learn how to use them properly you can hit doubles or triplets, and in front to front fights they're amazing, you can roll them behind your opponent, push with the range of the weapon and make them fall on the grenade, or control the space they have to move to in order to get more hits, indeed any weapon with the bombs can do the same, but I find the long range very useful.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Something that I would like to add is that the N-ZAP '85 has 72% run speed while firing, while the Dual Squelcher only has 50%. The '85 also takes about 2 seconds longer to run out of ink. So really, for defense, I'd say Dual Squelcher is better, but I'd definitely go with the '85 for offensive play.

Where can I get that run speed info on weapons.

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam

Okajin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Okajin
I simply can't play with the dual squelcher as I'm too agressive. I don't rely on the bonus range. The lack of rate of fire is a big drawback for me. I prefer both the n-zap.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Marigi174
As a heavily offensive player, I really dislike the dual squelcher. The N-Zap '85 just suits my playstyle a million times better, and even when Camp Triggerfish was first released (making the dual squelcher completely broken on Splat Zones on day 1 - before people worked out how to handle how insanely close the two splat zones were) I found myself dropping the squelcher on that map and Port Mackerel for more offensively-inclined weapons like the N-Zap '85 and, more notably, the Aerospray MG (not RG) for its ability to keep the entire opposing team in their spawn with a barrage of seekers, high-rate shots and inkzooka annihilation, resulting in turf wars and splat zones matches I employed the strategy on for said maps becoming complete whitewashes and me climbing from C+ to A in the space of two and a half hours due to noone knowing how to stop it on Camp Triggerfish (as it was still day 1 and noone knew the strategies for the stage other than squelcher spam XD). Its not as reliable anymore but its still fun as hell when you pull it off.

I think that the N-Zap makes great use of its sub and special, as its sub allows it to circumvent the squelcher to an extent, and the echolocater lets you deal with people who manage to escape your clutches. The squelcher can only really use the splat bombs to flush people out of hiding places and manipulate where they can move in order to snipe them before they can react, and the echolocator is great support for your teammates as it activates for the whole team, allowing them to push ahead while knowing where opponents are hiding. Overall, I think that the N-Zap makes better use of the sub-weapon (as you won't use it on the squelcher in most scenarios while the N-Zap uses it very regularly) and the echolocator is about as useful for both due to both the offensive and supportive utility of the ability.

Last edited:

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
I never really likes the N Zap line at all. But it is really good for Inking Turf. If you are also good at placing inkstrikes then there ya go. I prefer the Duel Squelcher because it has longer range and it can almost counterm every weapon, including the N Zapp.If you want something that is good at inking turf, you the N Zap. If you are good at splatting people from far away. Use the Duel Squelcher. It all depends on the people's play style, but in my opinion, Duel Squelchers are far better.

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
I never really likes the N Zap line at all. But it is really good for Inking Turf. If you are also good at placing inkstrikes then there ya go. I prefer the Duel Squelcher because it has longer range and it can almost counterm every weapon, including the N Zapp.If you want something that is good at inking turf, you the N Zap. If you are good at splatting people from far away. Use the Duel Squelcher. It all depends on the people's play style, but in my opinion, Duel Squelchers are far better.
The dual Squelcher is really good to ink, lateral moving is really good with this weapon, I can claim the splatzone of port makerel in less than 2 seconds, sure, it leaves some little holes, but after all is more interesting to cover large areas out of your control than being perfect on the areas you already control

Box

Pro Squid
In the end, the main point I want to drive out here is the fact that the range stat in of itself is not a positive trait nor a negative one. Range is rather the stat that determines the most how you will fight. Higher range means more likely to move backwards to out range the opponent while shorter range means more likely to get close to out fight the opponent.
Dude.

Think about what you're saying here. Range is good to have. It's probably the most important stat in the game. There's a reason the longer range weapons have more limitations.

Also the assertion that the Dual Squelcher has a range advantage most of the time is wrong.

Also the Splat Bomb and Echolocator are both very effective on defense.

Also, not aimed at you, the NZap is pretty bad at covering turf for a shooter. It's not awful but it's arguably 3rd from the bottom after the Pro and Jet Squelcher.

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam
The NZap is pretty bad at covering turf for a shooter. It's not awful but it's arguably 3rd from the bottom after the Pro and Jet Squelcher.
Really? Why is that? It has the same range as the .52 gal and Splattershot, but has a faster fire rate, how does that make it bad for covering ground?

Box

Pro Squid
Really? Why is that? It has the same range as the .52 gal and Splattershot, but has a faster fire rate, how does that make it bad for covering ground?
It's hard to really quantify which shooters are better at inking because there are a number of factors that make different weapons effective, but the NZap has a small number of splashes per shot and the size of the splashes is very small.

So for the 52 Gal you get +3 big splashes, for the Splattershot you get +2 medium splashes. For the NZap you get +1 or +2 small splashes but it leans towards +1 due to how stuff is calculated.

The NZap isn't terrible at inking though since it has good movement speed, decent range, and good ink efficiency. But I would prefer either of the 2 above because they're good at covering turf while strafing.

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam
It's hard to really quantify which shooters are better at inking because there are a number of factors that make different weapons effective, but the NZap has a small number of splashes per shot and the size of the splashes is very small.

So for the 52 Gal you get +3 big splashes, for the Splattershot you get +2 medium splashes. For the NZap you get +1 or +2 small splashes but it leans towards +1 due to how stuff is calculated.

The NZap isn't terrible at inking though since it has good movement speed, decent range, and good ink efficiency. But I would prefer either of the 2 above because they're good at covering turf while strafing.
It's true that the N-ZAP has smaller splashes, but it makes up for that with it's faster fire rate. I frequently use all three of the weapons we're talking about, and I would say that the .52 Gal is the worst of the three for covering ground, because of it's slower firing speed and slow run speed while firing.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

By strafing do you mean shooting while walking left or right? If so, the .52 Gal should be inferior in that way because of it's slower run speed.

Box

Pro Squid
It's true that the N-ZAP has smaller splashes, but it makes up for that with it's faster fire rate. I frequently use all three of the weapons we're talking about, and I would say that the .52 Gal is the worst of the three for covering ground, because of it's slower firing speed and slow run speed while firing.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

By strafing do you mean shooting while walking left or right? If so, the .52 Gal should be inferior in that way because of it's slower run speed.
What makes the Gal weapons so good at strafing is that put down ink very consistently. You can walk sideways and create this solid block of ink. Some weapons like Splash and Splattershot can do it effectively as well, but the NZap leaves gaps because the splashes are too small and spread out. That's why I'm not fond of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom