• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is the goo tuber good are we all just bad????

Snipe-sound

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Snipesound
I have been thinking how often is it universal that a weapon is seen as awful. I wonder if its a chance the goo tuber is good but we are bad? Maybe we get so caught up in meta or what snipers are supposed to be that we don't look for a way to make it work. Maybe we change are playstyles and are mains so diffrent then normal charger build and we find a way to make it work. You wouldnt snipe with a blaster or ink with a charger maybe were trying to fit a square intoba round post. Maybe when the meta switch or someone dares to main to gootuber will we really see tge power of the almighty gootuber. Maybe not

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Goo Tuber is an unfortunate case of it both being a very hard weapon to master, but also even if one got good at it it still doesn't look good at paper. It has less range than the regular Splat Charger yet a longer charge time as a tradeoff for the ability to store charge much longer. But the problem is that through an exploit one can hold charge indefinitely anyways, so there's not a lot of point to it.
The elongated charge times also make it an awful weapon for inking ground, which is pretty bad for a close to mid-range weapon.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
No, this weapon is just straight garbage

It was just flawed from the start, being a weapon solely based off of holding stored charges. Which is not nearly as good as the devs planned it out to be. It's not like stored charge guarantees you a kill anyway. You still have to aim, wait for the slight delay, while you try swimming across the battle field with one shot, glowing like the great zapfish. It doesn't help that other chargers can hold the stored charge indefinitely through a slight overlook in the stored charge mechanic. What's worse is that the goo tuber takes longer to charge than the splat charger, with not nearly as much range.

Say if you were to become skilled with this weapon. You'd still lose fights to other chargers easily, you can't support your team at all as your coverage is abysmal, and there isn't much the range gets you for the long charge time.

It's just a weapon of high risk and low reward. It just doesn't reward you for putting time into the weapon.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I've essentially considered this thing a joke weapon from the get go, and even if that is a bit much, there's no denying it's a gimmick weapon. The sad thing is that it's based around a not terribly useful mechanic that most other chargers can use anyway, even if it is less effective. This doesn't make up for the fact that it is straightforwardly inferior to the splat charger in all categories except submerged ink holding. If the Goo Tuber was the only weapon that could do this, it may have had a bit more going for it, but all non-scoped chargers can hold ink while swimming, and as has already been mentioned, an oversight has made them more or less just as effective at it.

Luminario

Full Squid
I've often wondered about the Goo Tuber. Was it that strong during testing that they felt it needed to have the charge time of an E-Liter with the range of a Squiffer? It would probably work much better if it had a charge time between the Squiffer and the Splat Charger. They must have known that holding the charge is only useful for re-positioning when you see an enemy which can already be done with all the regular chargers, so I don't see where they were going with such a gimmicky, lackluster weapon.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
The Goo Tuber absolutely sucks. Less range than the Squiffer, considerably more charge time than Splat Charger, and you can infinitely hold a charge regardless with all other chargers except Bamboozler anyways, absolutely destroying it's little niche it carved itself. Goo Tuber is horrible, and it needs serious buffing or it'll be the laughing stock of Splatoon. At least the H-3 Nozzlenose rewards you.

aji

Inkling
i've taken the goo tuber into turf wars to see if i could do anything with the stored charge mechanic. my aim is bad enough that in the time it takes me to pop out of the ink and line up the shot i could have already charged and fired a squiffer. the only people i see getting mileage out of the thing are people with exceptional aim, and they'd still probably be better off with any other charger

Goo Tuber is the latest weapon that pros use for bragging rights because of it's difficulty. It's stolen this title from the H-3.
i'm no pro but, to be fair, it's a lot of fun to splat people with a weapon everyone considers to be terrible. especially when it's a hose with a funny name

Miyako

Retro Squid
NNID
Cborne
Switch Friend Code
SW-3362-3097-1624
I think the goo tuber has the best design of any of the weapons myself looks-wise, and it makes me sad that the range on it is so short. It really doesn't seem as good as others to me when holding charge is kind of situational. I don't often use chargers, but if they buffed the goo tuber enough for it to be considered good I would definitely try to learn it. There's just not that much utility to it as is because you could be doing the same thing but better with a firefin considering that you rarely need to hold charge and especially for that long.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
But the problem is that through an exploit one can hold charge indefinitely anyways, so there's not a lot of point to it.
I'm actually unaware of said exploit. Could someone elaborate for me please?

dishwasher

Full Squid
I'm actually unaware of said exploit. Could someone elaborate for me please?
With the Splat Charger, it allows around 1 second of swim time before it negates the charge. However, all you have to do is pop up briefly for the charge to be saved and then you can swim for a short period of time. Doing this quickly, it's kinda like swimming normally and can traverse a whole map while storing a charge.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
after the update it feels somewhat more useful. still not sure if it can hold up really, especially when the hyper charger, bamboozler, comes into the mix, but it DOES offer some useful niche skills.

for one, you can climb large walls with your charge, which allows you to pop up on more defensive weapons. hanging out around ledges. you can also travel along ink lines really easily with your charge. other chargers have to be constantly hopping (or with the squiffer and future bamboozler sometimes it's better just to charge on landing)

the range is worse than the splat charger but if you make use of hopping you can actually reach the sniper perch across moray pretty easily by jumping off your side, giving you an entire level of access the squiffer doesn't have. it can also risk approaching squelchers and splatlings which squiffer usually can't.

----------

i wouldn't call it good yet, but it feels a lot less bulky and i can see how on certain levels it might be useful

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
I would say it's rubbish just because it really can't paint well for itself. In order to utilise Charge Keep, you need some actual turf in the first place, and it's hard for this thing because of how long it takes for such a short-range shot. While you can always just spam tap shot, it's still not all that effective.

The only real utilisation for its longer charge keep time, as mentioned above, is you can climb higher walls you couldn't with a splat charger. Ride some inkrails a while maybe. Its TTK is pretty godawful too, when you consider the full process. With its terrible charge time, you're not going to want to charge it out in a fight unlike the squiffer or Bamboozler can. So you back off from the fight, hide behind cover, take the 20 seconds to charge up, store your charge, swim back into the action, then use the shot. And if the shot misses, time to go back home to pick up another one -- if you survive. It's so convoluted and inefficient that I just don't think it's worth it.

Maybe it's just me, but I also greatly dislike its kit. Suction bombs feel terrible compared to Splat Bombs when it comes to flushing out blind spots chargers can't hit -- and if I'm using a Goo Tuber, I don't want to be close enough in the fray for Splashdown to be effective.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I would say it's rubbish just because it really can't paint well for itself. In order to utilise Charge Keep, you need some actual turf in the first place, and it's hard for this thing because of how long it takes for such a short-range shot. While you can always just spam tap shot, it's still not all that effective.

The only real utilisation for its longer charge keep time, as mentioned above, is you can climb higher walls you couldn't with a splat charger. Ride some inkrails a while maybe. Its TTK is pretty godawful too, when you consider the full process. With its terrible charge time, you're not going to want to charge it out in a fight unlike the squiffer or Bamboozler can. So you back off from the fight, hide behind cover, take the 20 seconds to charge up, store your charge, swim back into the action, then use the shot. And if the shot misses, time to go back home to pick up another one -- if you survive. It's so convoluted and inefficient that I just don't think it's worth it.

Maybe it's just me, but I also greatly dislike its kit. Suction bombs feel terrible compared to Splat Bombs when it comes to flushing out blind spots chargers can't hit -- and if I'm using a Goo Tuber, I don't want to be close enough in the fray for Splashdown to be effective.
oh, the kit is AWFUL.

suction bombs... we got them on squiffer and while they WERE super fresh for the squiffer which had no aggressive subs up to that point, they take so long to explode that they're kind of an awkward combination. on goo tuber they seem even worse, though, offering no additional range, little close combat support, and echoing the rest of the goo tuber's options in taking forever to work. i use them less than i used point sensors at the beginning of splatoon 1.

then splashdown is like...???
i feel like this weapon was originally a squiffer branch-off, but when they gave it more range and a longer charge hold, they decided to leave the kit. i have to force myself to use it most of the time. it's only good for squid jumping or sudden ambushes (and then immediately fleeing).

i imagine we'll continue to see a lot of buffs for this weapon unless they just abandon it

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
ATM Gootuber is pretty garbage, its outclassed by literally any other charger :V that might change in the future however because...

Custom Gootuber is going to have Curling Bomb, which will compliment the ability to store charges very well, and it has inkjet as a special, which as we know is always good :V So hopefully Gootuber will see some more usage whenever that thing is released.

Luminario

Full Squid
ATM Gootuber is pretty garbage, its outclassed by literally any other charger :V that might change in the future however because...

Custom Gootuber is going to have Curling Bomb, which will compliment the ability to store charges very well, and it has inkjet as a special, which as we know is always good :V So hopefully Gootuber will see some more usage whenever that thing is released.
That's the kit we should have gotten on the regular Tuber to begin with. The weapon just wasn't thought out well or it just didn't survive going through balancing. There's not many subs or specials that can support a weapon like this either unfortunately.

Stormxeaglex

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7019-0997-6294
They should call Splatoon YouTubers gootubers but other than that the weapon doesn't seem that bad but using the weapon would require a lot of accuracy because the sole purpose of the weapon is to store shots. Therefore a hit and run tactic at a mid-range is required to fully use this weapon potential which can be difficult to aim and can be dangerous.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
The concept itself is flawed. I wonder if Nintendo plans on making holding charge shots better. How would they go about that, do you think?

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@TeddyBearYoshi I've got several possibilities: the lag from rising under the ink with a charge could be shortened considerably. (Other players can see you move in the ink anyway, so I don't think it would be broken.) Charge duration under the ink could last longer, and for the Goo Tuber to make it even semi-viable, infinite. Being able to hold charge under the ink even without a full charge would also be great, as you could slowly work up a charge while trying to evade, and would help the charger for close quarters encounters, which while difficult for a Charger in Splatoon 1, are downright hopeless here.

RealEpic21

Inkling
NNID
RealEpic21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0225-8332-0439
People aren't bad, it just has a really unique playstyle. You can't slay with it only, support with it only, or defend with it only. You have to be a mix between to actually use it effectively. That's the main reason I use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom