• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is the H3 as bad as people say?

Teeroy64

Inkling
NNID
teeroy64
I never played an H3 variant before yesterday. I picked up the cherry h3 just for fun, expecting to get destroyed in the process. I had some good success in turf war (more kills and less deaths than usual) so I decedied to test my luck in rank and I went from A+ 52 to S 33. I personally feel that the weapon is definitely not great, but it is vastly underrated. The cherry H3 has potential and is suprisingly effective at flanking. What are your thoughts?

Junokue

Inkling
NNID
Junokue
H3 have a very different feel compared to many other weapons, imo. I don't think its bad, just different and a bit hard to learn. It's been taking me quite a while to get a good handle on it myself. I think the new cherry is perfect, I've dubbed it the the H96 lol. Soon my friendly little cherry, I will main you in ranked and we will destroy everyone's hopes and dreams.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
The main thing the H-3 struggles with is finding a niche. For most people, it doesn't justify the difficulty in learning it.

The L-3s are very good hunter/scout weapons and fill that niche, whereas the H-3 is kind of like the .96 but much harder to handle for the same results.

I don't think the H-3 is totally unusable, though. No weapon in this game is. The Cherry has potential in the upper ranks for sure, but the H-3 itself will probably remain the least popular class.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yup, it still is. I think a lot of people underestimate it though, it has a steep learning curve you have to get over before you can make decent plays with it, and a lot of people quit on it before they can reach that point. That being said, even when mastered it's still isn't very good.
My biggest issue with it is that .96 gals exist, which does the job H-3 does but better in allmost every single aspect. Still think it needs a buff, either in fire range so it can be played a bit more like a Jet, or both fire-rate and walking speed so it can match the .96.

That being said, the Cherry is easily the best set for the H-3 so far.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's got a very high learning curve, yes. That's why most people don't bother, they just pick up the auto-fire weapon. Still, it has several perks to offer those who stick with it.

trevar

Full Squid
NNID
blahmin027
Not really, just practice. I had two games in the morning in S when someone used it and they got KD's of 15/4 and 14/5. They got highest KDs in game. It really depends on how you use it and if you can use it. #practice

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Objectively speaking, it has range, power, mobility, and incredible ink efficiency. It's mostly the firing mechanism that puts people off. That goes for the L-3 too.

Sea_coffin

Inkling
NNID
gcam600
No not really, you just need to get used to it's mechanic (or use the cherry h3 since it has 2 panic buttons ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ). This guy seems to be excellent with it

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
People tend to give the H3 an F grade. I give it a C-.... compared to the A grade the .96/splat pro/dual squelcher get, it's pretty lacking.

The main thing the H-3 struggles with is finding a niche. For most people, it doesn't justify the difficulty in learning it.

The L-3s are very good hunter/scout weapons and fill that niche, whereas the H-3 is kind of like the .96 but much harder to handle for the same results.

I don't think the H-3 is totally unusable, though. No weapon in this game is. The Cherry has potential in the upper ranks for sure, but the H-3 itself will probably remain the least popular class.
. . . ditto <_>

However, I will add a few things(and a bit of my personal hulabuloo).
The H3 is more ink efficient and has slightly better ink coverage. Don't get too excited though, the time it takes to learn and "master" the fire rate and mechanic is still far from worth it from my personal experience.
Also learning how to effectively paint up walls is a painful process. I had an easier time painting walls with the inkbrush >_>

For perspective on why my opinion is the greatest that ever existed and that you shouldnt look ANYWHERE else...
I have roughly the same amount of turf covered for .96 variants and H3 variants (about 100,000 and 120,000 respectively, I've also got about 150,000 with splat pro and 30,000 with dual squelchers)

. . .

I can easily count the amount of times I felt I did well with the H3 in a game on my fingers... before the cherry came out.

I'm not sure I can count the cherry with the other H3s though... For me, the main weapon is just there to charge bubbler and wave hello to the enemy team (and maybe slap them a few times before one of my teammates comes and cleaves them in half)
I legitimately feel like I'm playing a splash wall main weapon with a bubbler sub...

It does this AMAZINGLY!

Sea_coffin

Inkling
NNID
gcam600
People tend to give the H3 an F grade. I give it a C-.... compared to the A grade the .96/splat pro/dual squelcher get, it's pretty lacking.

. . . ditto <_>

However, I will add a few things(and a bit of my personal hulabuloo).
The H3 is more ink efficient and has slightly better ink coverage. Don't get too excited though, the time it takes to learn and "master" the fire rate and mechanic is still far from worth it from my personal experience.
Also learning how to effectively paint up walls is a painful process. I had an easier time painting walls with the inkbrush >_>

For perspective on why my opinion is the greatest that ever existed and that you shouldnt look ANYWHERE else...
I have roughly the same amount of turf covered for .96 variants and H3 variants (about 100,000 and 120,000 respectively, I've also got about 150,000 with splat pro and 30,000 with dual squelchers)

. . .

I can easily count the amount of times I felt I did well with the H3 in a game on my fingers... before the cherry came out.

I'm not sure I can count the cherry with the other H3s though... For me, the main weapon is just there to charge bubbler and wave hello to the enemy team (and maybe slap them a few times before one of my teammates comes and cleaves them in half)
I legitimately feel like I'm playing a splash wall main weapon with a bubbler sub...

It does this AMAZINGLY!
I think the cherry is the best thing that has happened to the H3

Teeroy64

Inkling
NNID
teeroy64
Good stuff guys. I personally think it is great at taking out snipers of you surprise them. I have found that it can be extremely difficult to get a kill of your opponent has high mobility or has great movement. Although this is true with every weapon to a degree, it is a glaring weakness for the H3. It's ink coverage is pretty dope though.

Nebbyla

Inkling
It's always how good you are with the weapon. I use it a lot and I do good with it, normally 10-18 kills in Turf and 15-30 in Ranked. It is quite a different weapon from the others and it can be hard to understand how to use it. It does indeed get overshadowed by the L-3 and many other weapons as I use it to sometimes out-range others however it doesn't always do that nicely. As (normally) always it's how good you are with the weapon, I would say its difficulty in learning it is quite a stretch from the others.

Magnus0

Pro Squid
The vanilla has an interesting kit. It has some potential, but the rewards probably aren't much bigger than if you would use a weapon with a similar kit, like the n-zap or the bamboozler.

The inkzooka one is completely outclassed by the forge pro. There is literally no reason to use the H-3 over the pro.

The cherry is actually a decent weapon, but it gets completely carried by it's kit. If actually good weapons, like the splattershot or the 52 gal, got the same kit as the cherry, they would probably be among the best weapons in the game. That said, I found the cherry an excellent goaly in multizoned splat zone maps like mackerel or flounder.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've said it before and I'll say it again; I fear the day the H-3 becomes more popular. Fairly long range + insanely high accuracy + fairly decent turfing per burst + high damage + fairly high rate of fire withing the burst = :confused:

...and also the Squiffer

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
hey, but it's way more satisfying to get a kill with the H-3 than the .96 because of the rapid fire. That must count for something.

Shalnark

Full Squid
Yup, it still is. I think a lot of people underestimate it though, it has a steep learning curve you have to get over before you can make decent plays with it, and a lot of people quit on it before they can reach that point. That being said, even when mastered it's still isn't very good.
My biggest issue with it is that .96 gals exist, which does the job H-3 does but better in allmost every single aspect. Still think it needs a buff, either in fire range so it can be played a bit more like a Jet, or both fire-rate and walking speed so it can match the .96.

That being said, the Cherry is easily the best set for the H-3 so far.
I think H3s are some of the best weapons in the game when they're used by top level players who are comfortable with the playstyle. They have a quick time to kill, good range, and perfect accuracy. I wouldn't compare H3 to 96 because 96s can prefire while H3s take unfair fights. If you want a shooter with an invincibility special and splash wall, CH3 is worth using over 96 deco because it has light depletion and isn't gear-dependent.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Naw, watch a game from thatsrb2dude.
There's a difference between styling on fools with a meme weapon and a weapon being legitimately good. Just because I've gone 46-4 with the vanilla Sploosh doesn't mean it's actually good.

*Edit*

The Cherry is eyebrow-raising but it's still extremely flawed and vulnerable to aggression. Its highly immobile because of how long you're forced to stand after firing, and its killtime and range aren't really impressive considering what other weapons are capable of. When playing good players with good movement, the H3 is quickly put under pressure to have every situation go perfectly for it, because as soon as a single thing goes wrong it just gets overwhelmed and killed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom