• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Is the Toxic Mist useless?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Favourite weapon of choice is the Jet Squelcher, giving me room to ink from a safe spot while i can play defensively, as a lot of my teammates gets themselves killed during the last few seconds and i have to fend off 4 angry opponents who is hungry for my turf.

And it's paired with Toxic Mist, which i was excited over, as it's sort of the replacement for the Disruptor, hurr durr, thought it would be a valid replacement of the original Burst Bombs, but oh no, i was wrong, dead wrong.

What it does is slowing down the opponent it hits as long as they are in the lingering range of the mist, and they get their ink tank consumed over time, but after using it for a while i just feel like it draws out the inevitable demise for me.

First Scenario:
Someone is approaching fast with a roller or duelies, i throw the mist in front of me and start firing through the mist to bog them down or scare them away, they plow through the mist, and i still get splatted unavoidably as their weapons splat me faster than i can splat them, so yeah they got the upper hand cause in my hubris thought they would detoriate from it, but they didn't, solid mistake yes?

Second Scenario:
I'm standing on a high platform that can be approached from below, i notice an opponent approaching fast and starts to splat a way up, i throw the mist on the area where he would show up, so forcing him to climb back down or take the safer way up around the radius (where i started to shoot in preparations for him to show up), the guy plows through the Mist and i have been shooting in the wrong area the whole time.

Third Scenario:
I Notice a sniper on top of an area i can fling the mist upon, since my team is not having a good time with snipers, i sacrifice my position so the sniper would have to reposition or fall back so i can give my team some room to breathe and go for the attack, the result is that i get splatted through the mist they are stuck in, they move a few inches out of the range of the mist, and keep splatting all my teammates despite the mist.

Last Scenario:
Learning from everything above, i tend to use the mist to keep my allies alive or support them where needed, the opponent still just plows through the mist like nothing and they are not bogged down by the negative statuses the mist should inflict them with, what a surprise?

Summary:
I've been practicing nonstop to get the Toxic Mist to be helpful, but since i only have 30% ink left when throwing the darn thing, just leave me with very little ink as the Jet Squelcher does chug a moderately amount of ink when firing.

So am i doing something wrong, or is it something highly experienced players know of the toxic mist that can be negated with the right ability, or the right maneouvers?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well, you're not wrong. It works best coordinated with allies, which usually doesn't happen outside of league. The mist is a great area denial tool, and barging through it like people do in your scenarios is a calculated risk, doing so heedlessly can result in death. I like it but don't use it as much as I should, considering the cost. Ink saver sub is definitely handy for such a tool.

Also solidarity, fellow Jet-setter! :D

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I tend to use the fart in a bottle™ on commonly used choke points to slow down opponents who would've pushed through much faster otherwise. Think the one direct path people take on Kelp Splat Zones, the one where you climb up the wall from spawn. If thrown there, they'll get slowed down just enough for you to pick them off with much more ease. As you may have noticed, snipers tend to ignore the debuffs given by the mist as they can still pick you off or trade with you anyway, and mobile snipers are repositioning all the time anyway, so moving out of the mist is no skin off their nose. :D

So I'd agree that it's best used for area denial right now unless buffed at a later point, the speed debuff is the most essential part of it, as it makes them easier for the slow Jet projectiles to hit. Make sure to keep your range management in check (or in other words, you have the longest range for a shooter, abuse it!), as some scenarios you described sounded a tad reckless on your side. When Dualies enter below your optimal range, no amount of toxic mist will help you out, as it only drains your ammo and they'll enter their effective range using a dodge roll or jump anyway! When someone climbs up a wall below you, it's safer to fall back since your TTK is slower than say, that of a Splattershot or Sploosh! It's easy to misunderstand the toxic mist to be much more useful than it is right now, so I see where you were coming from with the ideas though.

If you want to go for a straight-up more useful Sub for aggressive and defensive purposes alike, you may want to try the freshly released Custom Jet, giving you Burst Bombs for some aggro/defense-flex play and a Stingray to rock Tower Control - or just extend your reach even further.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
With my limited time experimenting with it it does feel a bit too weak. You spend a chunk of ink to at most take a small sliver of ink away from the target and maybe slow them down. It doesn't help that in most scenarios it's just possible to move around it's AoE.

It does have potential, but it just needs a buff right now.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Coo' looks like nigh everything I woulda typed about taxic moist was already tope
guess I have nothing to add. . .
I Notice a sniper on top of an area i can fling the mist upon, since my team is not having a good time with snipers, i sacrifice my position so the sniper would have to reposition
sub power up is the secret
Did you hear something?
naw just me I guess ;p

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
They really need to fix the ink cost of the toxic mist, like everyone else said. It just uses wayyy too much ink to be even remotely useful in normal combat. Not sure why lethal bombs would use considerably less ink than mist, but here we are.

The one extremely good use I've found for it is in rainmaker... Throwing it in chokepoints is nice, but even better is throwing it on places where people need to make a jump to continue down a RM path. I've caused so many accidental deaths in Manta by just using mist on that one gap jump, and I don't feel bad about it either.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
If you want to go for a straight-up more useful Sub for aggressive and defensive purposes alike, you may want to try the freshly released Custom Jet, giving you Burst Bombs for some aggro/defense-flex play and a Stingray to rock Tower Control - or just extend your reach even further.
Do'h, i still need a few more levels before i can get it, i'm mostly raving through single player with all the weapons right now, i'm a bit of completionist, so i'm playing less in the multiplayer section, as it currently have me pulling hair.
Still need to adapt that i'm not playing Splat1 anymore.
I kinda do not like having myself level up too fast in Turf etc, as i feel the game would be too short if i did, but i'm so flustered that i need so many levels to get just the type of weapon i want to main...

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
It's a pretty bad sub, definitely not that strong right now.

The ink consumption really brings it down, that's the main problem this sub has. 70% of your ink tank is very taxing for a sub that doesn't do much half the time. If you play something like the vanilla blaster, you get 3 shots after using your sub on a full tank without sub savers. That's insanely dumb. It invalidates using the mist half the time, and most players who play vanilla blaster (myself included) will tell you that just straight up shooting is better in most situations.

The best use for it right now though is being able to stall on a tower checkpoint. It can deter your enemies from standing on it easily. But putting in the path of the rainmaker/tower isn't a bad idea either. Other than that, toxic mist doesn't have that many uses.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I always completely ignore any hostile Toxic Mist I see and just plough through it like it's not even there. So far, that's working out perfectly fine, so I don't even toy with the idea of using a weapon with Toxic Mist.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
They really need to fix the ink cost of the toxic mist, like everyone else said. It just uses wayyy too much ink to be even remotely useful in normal combat. Not sure why lethal bombs would use considerably less ink than mist, but here we are.

The one extremely good use I've found for it is in rainmaker... Throwing it in chokepoints is nice, but even better is throwing it on places where people need to make a jump to continue down a RM path. I've caused so many accidental deaths in Manta by just using mist on that one gap jump, and I don't feel bad about it either.
After using the Vanalla Jet Squelcher for so long before it's custom variant was released I can agree with you on that RM is probably the best gamemode for you to take full advantage of the Toxic Mist sub.

Also, like what you just said it's most effective on maps with choke points where the RM carrier must go though to cap it. Port Mackerel, the left/right most sides of Humpback Pump Track, some areas of Blackbelly Skatepark are just a few examples on where I can take advantage of Toxic Mist to it's fullest.

Despite how effective the sub weapon can be in curtain situations, the biggest issue I do have with it is how much ink it consumes as well as the delay before you can recharge your ink tank again is what makes it a bit lackluster compared to some of the other subs ingame. If they make it a bit more spammable OR make the sub weapon more portent (increasing the slow effect or AoE of the sub) to justify it's high ink cost would be a neat change for it imo (I'm leaning more towards the suggestion of just making the sub more portent to justify it's ink cost).

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Despite how effective the sub weapon can be in curtain situations, the biggest issue I do have with it is how much ink it consumes as well as the delay before you can recharge your ink tank again is what makes it a bit lackluster compared to some of the other subs ingame. If they make it a bit more spammable OR make the sub weapon more portent (increasing the slow effect or AoE of the sub) to justify it's high ink cost would be a neat change for it imo (I'm leaning more towards the suggestion of just making the sub more portent to justify it's ink cost).
You hit the nail on the head. Most of my gripes with the subweapon would vanish if it had, say, the Ink Mine's delay before you could recover ink. Toxic Mist has a pretty inordinate wait time for getting your ink back considering it can't damage enemies.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The main reason mist is bad is because people just aren't afraid of them. They barely slow people down, so an enemy can just run through them and kill you. They also cost a crap ton of ink, which lets people know that you'll be almost empty and easy to kill if they rush right through it.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
You hit the nail on the head. Most of my gripes with the subweapon would vanish if it had, say, the Ink Mine's delay before you could recover ink. Toxic Mist has a pretty inordinate wait time for getting your ink back considering it can't damage enemies.
I hope they see a buff is needed, but I fear they won't because many of the weapons with mist have good guns and/or specials to go with them, and that may obscure the need to buff mist if they only look at the weapon data usage.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
It's saved my life a few times. Toxic Mist also slows the opponent down, which has given me the split second I need to flee the chaos and lick my wounds.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I'd say it's still pretty terrible. They finally solved the cooldown issue, but nerfed its effectivity through a massive duration nerf, which makes it as useless as ever. I doubt they really ever figured out what was wrong with this sub. Better ink management doesn't get it much if this ability does as good as nothing. It has hardly any use. Losing 30% of its duration isn't helping that. Also losing some of its ability to reduce the ink cost through abilities was just overkill. I have no idea why they felt this sub needed massive compensation nerfs for a no-brainer buff.

Its room for strategical uses is far too situational. It's only fully functional when you have absolute stage control and can immediately shoot down anyone closing in on the Poison Mist, because its effect is just so bad that, in any other scenario where you and your team can't just constantly pay attention to it, it's absolutely useless.
Momentum just allows you to swim through it with any weapon or roll through it with rollers or brushers. It's not gonna stop you. High speed weapons like the NZAP can basically walk or jump through it with proper momentum while hardly being slowed down. Dualies can literally just roll out of it with no risk at all. They're 100% immune to it. Specials like the Baller also receive immunity against it.

Instead of looking into decreasing its risk through ink management, they should have seen to it that the risk is worth the reward. Poison Mist should be reverted to its original state with its original ink consumption and simply given the ability to cancel momentum. Not meaning stopping you from gaining momentum inside it. But stopping any momentum you had upon entering it and having to regain it. Because as things stand now, momentum makes Poison Mist useless, and buffing Posion Mist to the point where it would be able to slow people down enough despite momentum would make Poison Mist far too powerful. This is the perfect alternative.

Last edited:

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
After the update they had, it's still useless.
They patched up so you won't lose as much momentum when you are in enemy ink.
I feel like that update practically have made Toxic Mist useless now...

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm actually warming up to the Toxic Mist a bit. I still think it's one of the worst subs by far, but I've been forced to use it a lot, since I've been playing the Jet Squelcher lately. And since I'm back to hating the Stingray, it's basically choosing between the Burst Bombs and Tentamissles. Burst Bombs are very useful, of course, but I find that I can hold up pretty well if I'm forced to fight close-range. So yeah, I'm trying to make the best out of it. The thing is, since I still feel completely unthreatened by it, it's hard to say if is really helping or just in my imagination.

At least being able to see where people are going in ink can be useful.

Reactions: the

RossoFinale

Inkling
NNID
RossoFinale
Switch Friend Code
SW-2919-1876-4477
When the game first came out, I've had the enemy team use it pretty well, so I was fearful of its effects. I'd say it's an "ok" Sub, even if used correctly.

I only just started using it comfortably (Having at least 3 sub abilities of Ink Saver Sub and 1 main Ink Saver Sub) and I do like the hinderance it can cause an enemy.

For Turf War, if I know someone is on my tail, I would just release the mist underneath me and keep running away, that way it'll slow them down if they decide to keep going after me at that point.

But its real worth, in my experience, is during Rainmaker. The Rainmaker slows down the holder as it is and if their in the mist, it's far worse for them. If I'm within throwing range or high enough where the enemy team can't shoot me (unless they have a Charger), I constantly throw the Toxic Mist towards a path the Rainmaker is trying to go through while letting my team handle the fight (and sometimes they don't have to! The enemy team would sometimes be forced to take a different route).

Prime example of me using it in Rainmaker:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom