• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Is there a worse solo Clam Blitz map than Kelp Dome?

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
Clam Blitz is often a miserable mode in general, but this map makes the mode more unbearable than any other in my experience. If you try to defend your own goal, your team will never score a point. If you try to score through the normal "tree" side, the entry point is so small it's rare to make it through before you get splatted. If you try to sneak across the grates and score from the back side, they end up scoring before you get there.

I've tried a variety of short & long ranged weapons and a variety of approaches to this map. Nothing works. The best strategy I've found is the "have an S+50 player on your team and get carried to victory" approach :). Has anyone discovered the secret to not failing miserably every time this map is in rotation? Any other maps where you just can't seem to win, no matter what you do?

Switch Friend Code
SW-5437-8682-7694
Your frustration with kelp dome is the same as mine. No, I don’t think there is a worse stage for Clam Blitz or any other battle, tbh. I just got clobbered several times because of the reasons you stated above. I wish they would get rid of this stage. I was very disappointed to see it used so much in the last Splat Fest. Ugh

the

Inkling Commander
The first and only clam blitz game I played was on kelp dome, and it turned me off to the mode. If it’s as bad as you say, maybe I should give a fair shake on another map :p

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I love Kelp Dome with all my heart but I gotta admit, solo Clam Blitz with it is godawful. I think it wouldn't be as bad if the openings to each side wasn't so narrow.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Apparently you can score in Kelp Dome from the middle. It's a very precise throw where you jump off the large ledge in the middle and throw the clam at the basket on the enemy side. I would recommend trying this in recon before doing it in an actual match though.

For worst Clams map, I say Shellendorf. It's so irritating trying to defend the roof, especially since it's a nuisance to get on.

Cptcrunch

Inkling
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Clam Blitz and I'm a solo player. Kelp dome with that small choke is the perfect place to wield my weapon of choice: the Splat Brella.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
solo Clam Blitz

There's your problem right there ;0
This mode is tricky to coordinate in quad league, now try to do the same with three strangers and only two call-outs(maybe three if you have point sensor somehow).

For Kelp dome, it's a bit like RM where you need players watching the three parts of the map; mid left and right.
Aloowing for response to flanks.
For attacking the goal, you're essentially hitting a bunker. The defenders are surrounded by un-inkable walls, so you can't fire your main at them too much until they pop out to fire at you.
But it's a bunker:bunkers tend to not mix well with grenades. Also it's a bunker without a roof, so you can always inkstorm/missle 'em.

L/J/2/3

Inkling
NNID
Larryjames23
Switch Friend Code
SW-0361-2192-8345
Personally I find Goby Arena to be the worst map for this mode. The quickest route for throwing clams is basically a death sentence, supers are almost always despawning everywhere, the narrow areas near each goal are impossible to infiltrate without getting splatted. As a map its a cool design, but it doesn't exactly fit for clam blitz imo. also its the wrong sport.
For clam blitz its better to have choke points to a minimum, considering Splat2's map design, those points specifically cause a stalemate. It adds to the game, sure
but when its right by the goal its super frustrating.
though I also play solo-q so that's prob a reason for why its like this. I aint got friends.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I wish they would get rid of this stage. I was very disappointed to see it used so much in the last Splat Fest. Ugh
I hated it so much at first. For some reason I usually have good luck with Rainmaker on this stage though. Not sure why, but I'll take it!

It's nowhere near as bad as Inkblot or Humpback.

Shiver
Scoring on these stages is quite the chore. I've started to have some success using ink jet weapons on them though. Even if I'm not doing a lot of scoring myself, as soon as a teammate has a power clam and we have a numbers advantage, the inkjet can create so much chaos/distraction that it often allows us to rack up some quick points.

The first and only clam blitz game I played was on kelp dome, and it turned me off to the mode. If it’s as bad as you say, maybe I should give a fair shake on another map :p
I find myself enjoying it the most when Sturgeon Shipyard is in rotation. The wide open area around the goal is the complete opposite of what you'll find in Kelp Dome. Although if you try and still hate it, I don't think many people would blame you :).

Apparently you can score in Kelp Dome from the middle. It's a very precise throw where you jump off the large ledge in the middle and throw the clam at the basket on the enemy side. I would recommend trying this in recon before doing it in an actual match though.

For worst Clams map, I say Shellendorf. It's so irritating trying to defend the roof, especially since it's a nuisance to get on.
I'll definitely have to try that in recon mode the next time it's in rotation. Would be awesome to be able to score without going near that bunker of death!

Shellendorf is a huge hassle with that roof for sure. Such a large area of unpaintable surface. It makes me laugh when lots of players end up there at once though. Can't hide in paint, so everyone just looks so goofy running around up there. One time I encountered a Luna Blaster from the enemy team across the large hole in the roof. We shot at each other a bit, but neither of us were in range. Eventually we started jumping and spinning in circles, then headed separate ways, as if to say, "Look at how silly this glass roof is. I bid you good day, sir!"

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I can sum up the entire discourse: Clam Blitz is arguably the least independent mode in Splatoon, you have to work with others. Otherwise you have to juggle both offense and defense playstyles in one match. Since Kelp Dome is a big map, playing defensively and aggressively is difficult and frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom