• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Is this a funny trend or something else?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Yesterday in almost 50% of the matches i did, i noticed this thing happening to some people and the result of it is insane from when it happens, i just NEED to know that this isn't some conspiracy.

So yeah when people go idle they usually stand still in one spot in the base looking up or down depending on their pre-set settings, but some of them walk outside the spawn point and THEN they look up or down completely and freezes there, until a minute later, they wake up and continue spraying around themselves like nothing have ever happened, win or loss is irrelevant.

But in some cases, it gets weird and i don't have any recording devices to confirm this but...

I swear i'm not making this up:
Two times some of my teammates have frozen up almost inside the opponents base and i'm standing in a view so i can see him, freeze up, i sigh and whine a bit cause it have happened before, and the guy is about to be splatted by an approaching opponent... who just turfs around him and moves on...

"The guy is just standing there, splat him?"
No that doesn't happen, the second opponent approaches and swims right by him too, this happens for up to 30 - 40 seconds, and the guy has been standing there sloshing in the opponents ink fully visable, and the opponent doesn't even care, or can't see him?

And then suddenly he moves around from the spot he was frozen, and the match continues on normally, the few remaining seconds that is.

On Moray Tower it happened in a much weirder manner.
This guy with an aggressive Sniper weapon (forgot which one), was rolling up into the opponents base, there were 3 of them bombarding and shooting as good as they could, til he froze up and they had an easy kill against him, and then all of a sudden, they turf forward and forgets he's even there, i rolled up their base twice, and saw him still standing there in enemy ink, during the last seconds of the match, there were trails in the enemy base showing he was still active.

I have a hard time believing this is lag, anyone else who have an answer?

EDIT: Read the fourth post of this thread, that is the most accurate video that explains this.

Last edited:

the

Inkling Commander
Not sure what this could be. But next time you see it could you record it to show? (I know you said you have no recording device but the switch has that built-in function where you can hold down the screenshot button to take video from the last 30 seconds)
Then you could post it to twitter or something and link it here. Maybe someone will know what’s happening when they see it?

EDIT: I also remember in the first game, sometimes I would get “UNSTABLE CONNECTION” messages in a match and it would force my squid into human form and make me stand still, but I didn’t fully disconnect and after a few seconds could play normally. I didn’t immediately consider that because every time I’ve gotten an unstable connection error in splatoon 2 it’s been a guaranteed disconnect, but perhaps that’s what happened to these people?? That might also explain why shots from the other team weren’t killing them.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
I’ve actually seen this happen on a couple of battles myself! So glad I’m not the only one!
It’s even happened to myself when I go afk. No one splats me, even if I’m within their view.

Maybe it’s like some unspoken but widely understood respect rule or something..

..Or it could just be what the said, unstable connections are protecting them.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I have a feeling it's lag. Lag in this game can sometimes cause some bizarre stuff to happen, like a person being registered as D/C'd without them actually D/C'ing, resulting in stuff like this:
The brush couldn't see me or hit me, and neither could i do so with the brush. Note that it appeared as X'd out despite the fact the brush was still active on the battlefield.
This was an odd bug in S1 that somehow still remained unpatched in S2.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I saw this yesterday. It's gotta be a lag issue. At first I thought someone on my team was throwing... Maybe to help a friend get a gold flag. Then the score board got bugged, and two squids who had been fighting alongside me all match were logged at 0 points.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Yep, that just sounds like crazy amount of lag to me. I would love to see a video of what you’re talking about though.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Yup lag.
Something simliar happened in salmon run but there i’m sure the person did it on purpose.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Maybe it’s like some unspoken but widely understood respect rule or something..
Unspoken rule of respect? Not in this game. Whenever there is a disconnect, the only possible explanation for this, I don't push into the enemy's base out of respect. When I have a disconnect, no such sympathy. There are times when the disconnected team might make a push and win, but 9/10 times it will be a wipe that is no fun for anybody.

Chewwiii

Senior Squid
NNID
newmoonz
Unspoken rule of respect? Not in this game. Whenever there is a disconnect, the only possible explanation for this, I don't push into the enemy's base out of respect. When I have a disconnect, no such sympathy.
Wh— I was jokingggg. It was just a funny thought.
I would say you don’t spend a lot of time goofing around in Turf, seeing how serious sounding you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom