• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

it feels depressing being a marina fan and having her as the forever splatfest loser

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
feels like at least here in north america she barely wins and this splatfest her team was the one almost nobody wanted to be on(due to the furry connection)

it was an uphill battle and all the skilled players being on team vampire didn't make it any better

i just hope next splatfest marina's team is actually a good choice and not something people can just handwave off because the other choice is 100% better and a fact everyone agrees on

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Dude, that's EXACTLY how I feel. I have to disagree with you saying no one pick team werewolf though. It was actually an extremely close Splatfest in all three percentages. I don't know if Nintendo purposely gives Marina the weirder choice or not just because they know people like her WAY more than Pearl, but we are only three Splatfests in and there's still plenty more chances for Marina to dominate!

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I'm surprised that this wasn't a total curbstomp battle.
You know...
Because of all the freakin' furries.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I loved Marina from moment one, but I can't deny that she has been getting the short stick of Splatfests from the beginning. Well, except for Ketchup v. Mayo where she absolutely dominated in popularity, but that was about it. It gets tiring seeing every Splatfest go the same way. I can't imagine how many people have changed their minds about Marina only because Pearl wins Splatfests.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
I like marina and all, but I choose whatever one I like best. Sadly, it's usuallly pearl. I don't have anything against peral, I just like the choises Nintendo puts for her

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
it annoys me that pearl's been winning because personality wise pearl is the kind of person You'd want to punch in the face everyday for being such a loudmouth whiny prick

she's the ultimate heel someone that just brags and craps all over everyone else to the point where seeing her lose and be humbled is something you wanna see

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If you live in the US or europe, you've seen Marina get the most popular pick 3 out of 4 times, so she actually gets the good choices.
it annoys me that pearl's been winning because personality wise pearl is the kind of person You'd want to punch in the face everyday for being such a loudmouth whiny prick

she's the ultimate heel someone that just brags and craps all over everyone else to the point where seeing her lose and be humbled is something you wanna see
That really shows you never read their dialogue.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander

Heh heh heh...
... Ha ha ha ha!

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
While I understand the sentiment and sort of groaned about the current trend myself despite not being that big of a fan of Marisha, it's the first Splatfests. Nothing is set in stone yet. I've been only on Pearl's teams so far (Flight + Front Roll) because the options spoke to me more but I'll be definitely trying my best to give Marisha a win too if she has the option I prefer. Surely it's frustrating to see that and I can understand where this is coming from (poor Marie, having lost oh so many battles before) but you never know for sure? The only thing that has notably tanked is her popularity but that might be actually a good-ish thing, considering how much unjustified hate Pearl got at the beginning. At any rate, crossing my fingers it won't be as one-sided in the future.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You'll probably be happier if you divorce the splatfest themes from the characters. I choose based on which side I like, not because of the hosts. It feels more enjoyable that way, for me at least.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.

Considering they had to overhaul Marina's dialogue to be less antagonistic to Pearl a few updates back, I really don't get where you got this impression of the characters. I found Marina less likable early on because she was frankly a jerk to Pearl in their stage intro dialogues.

So far Pearl's winning dialogues I've seen are just silly raps where she jabs at the losing team, which happened with all other splatfest winners in both games anyway.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Marina won fries vs nuggets and won the most recent splatfest in japan. and Pearl is NOT a "whiny prick", do you even play the game?

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Marina won fries vs nuggets and won the most recent splatfest in japan. and Pearl is NOT a "whiny prick", do you even play the game?
i have a switch next to me with splatoon 2 loaded on it so yes yes i have the game and i do play it

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I won't worry too much about it, it's only been the 3rd Splatfest so far so there's plenty more room for Marina's losing streak to be broken in future Splatfests. ;)

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The only thing I can think of is that he plays the game in another language where the personalities might be different.
In English though, Marina is the one always taking shots at Pearl, and neither of them 'whine' at all.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Yes. Let's keep this civil folks, you don't want to get the mods involved.
I will comply... So long as another does not choose to act first.

This is part of the reason why Callie and Marie being similar was a good thing. There were no major distinctions in their appearance or the popularity of their Splatfest teams. Marie was snarkier, but Callie got her licks in all the same. That's not the case with Pearl and Marina. They're vastly different in both their looks, their choice of words, and even their music. Marina is a singer, Pearl is a Rapper. Even their species and skin tone directly contrast one another.

Let's be honest right now, Marina gained popularity early on because of her appearance and ONLY her appearance. We knew nothing of her personality, but the internet immediately exploded with a dislike of her crown clad partner. The internet and the gaming world is a place that is becoming highly accepting of minorities. Marina is an Octarian in an Inkling society, and she's not white. So it wasn't her unreasonable amount of exposed cleavage alone that earned her popularity.

Now that she has been on the wrong side of the Splatfest three times... It is not surprising that people are acting aggressively. However, do not think for a moment that I am in any way justifying what has been said here. That was clearly a reaction based purely on emotions and lacked any sort of logic or defining evidence to prove that Pearl is somehow more at fault than Marina is in her own regard.

Do not think for a moment that I am not fully prepared to point out each and every detail that could make Marina worthy of backlash, details that are on par with the things you are holding Pearl accountable for.

I do not favor either Squid Sister. I do not favor Pearl over Marina and vice versa. But resentment that comes from baseless conjecture and emotion alone is not something I understand, nor tolerate.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I plan don't understand why it matter which one wins? It's Splatfest, you're suppose to pick which team you prefer. I like Pearl more than Marina, but mainly choose the team Marina is on. It was like this back in Sploon 1 too. People constantly complaining about Marie always losing. It's just bad luck. Someone's always going to have more wins than others, there's no changing that. Also, this is like only the third offical Splatfest so let's cool our jets. We're suppose to be having two years of Splatfest so I'm pretty sure Marina will win some. Just play the Splatfest how it's supposed to be played. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom