• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

January GLOBAL Splatfest: Action vs Comedy

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador

That's right! Not since the Mayo vs Ketchup have we had an all regions throwdown of a splatfest, so they're starting off the year with a bang!

Any idea what team you want to play on? Got some shade for the other team? What weapon will be released for the fest? Is there gonna be a new map? Will Marina's latest Shifty Station be a dark comedy?!

LunarHalo24

Inkling
NNID
LunarHalo24
Switch Friend Code
SW-2860-2683-3610
Ah, it's about time we got an actually global Splatfest!
Worth noting that Mayo vs. Ketchup technically wasn't global. All regions shared the same theme, but the results were all still tallied separately, and players from different regions couldn't play with each other. It was as if three completely separate Splatfests were happening at the same time.

This one, however, is making it sound like all regions *will* be playing together this time. Or at least, European players will be able to team up with their North American friends, for example. Which is nice!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Worth noting that Mayo vs. Ketchup technically wasn't global. All regions shared the same theme, but the results were all still tallied separately, and players from different regions couldn't play with each other. It was as if three completely separate Splatfests were happening at the same time.
Tomato, tomahto, fruit! =p

But yes, it does vaguely sound like we can team-up with and fight against players from all regions... maybe? To which I'm part hopeful and part dreading on account of what the expected splatfest lag might be like on a global level. :scared:

And then there's the matter of everyones' time zones for a 24-hour event--if anyone finds more details, please share!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Can't believe it took them more than two years to do this obvious theme, but there we are.
I'm gonna go for Comedy. In movies, I don't really prefer either (personally prefer story/drama/aesthetic when it comes to movies), but there's so many TV comedies that I love and have rewatched, that it's still an easy choice.

SAHSWAMPY

Semi-Pro Squid
Aaaah. This is a really tough choice for me DX. I love a lot of comedies such as Shaun of the dead but I also adore action movies like Terminator 2. This’ll probably cause me to have a long debate with myself :’3...

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I prefer an action based movie labeled as a comedy, rather than a comedy movie, attempting to be an action movie. :confused:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Tomato, tomahto, fruit! =p

But yes, it does vaguely sound like we can team-up with and fight against players from all regions... maybe? To which I'm part hopeful and part dreading on account of what the expected splatfest lag might be like on a global level. :scared:

And then there's the matter of everyones' time zones for a 24-hour event--if anyone finds more details, please share!
It won't happen like that at all. Remember Splatoon 2 operates on a lowest ping matchmaking search, so you'll only get your cross-continental battles if you team up with people from Europe and Japan. It looks like the Splatfest is starting and finishing at different times too, with Europe looking to be the last region to start and finish, so you'll be waiting for ours to finish before getting the "wait until next rotation for results" countdown. As for where I'm going, as it's based on movies and not TV shows, I'll go for Action as SplatoonUS makes it clear it only counts as a single genre movie, and most comedies aren't even funny (and try too hard to be funny), and at least there's more variety and excitement with action style films, also Yellow Ink isn't very common in Splatoon 2 (there were some nice shades in Ranked and Turf for Splatoon 1), so getting to be a colour that isn't Green, Pink, Purple or Blue will be a refreshing break from the usual 4 colours (unless Action is more popular in Europe votes wise). So those are my thoughts on it, can't wait for this to be ruined by Shifty Station like most are and then not play much until the next Splatfest (never thought I'd become one of those "Splatfest only" players, but Ranked and the meta is zzzz boring) :P

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Considering comedy movies are the only movies I really care about, this is an easy choice.

I kind of hope we keep matches within the region. The lag is bad enough in Splatfests. We don't need even more getting one-shot by Splattershots or killed by teleporting Rollers.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Didn't realize this was global. There's going to be at least a few Japanese samurai wielding their lag like katanas if cross-region play is allowed :P That said, I went action because Conan and Rambo and such are inspiration for my playstyle. To survive a war, you gotta become war.

Also the last shifty station was pretty good, pleaaaaaaaaaaaase let that trend continue!

clefable

Inkling
It was hard choice because i love that orange color, but i chose comedy. I dont really watch movies all that much but all my favorite shows are comedy.

Wallflowercat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6647-4456-4981
I'm not a buzzkill I just don't have the sense of humour that a lot of comedies have. Punchlines aren't my thing I guess. But action definitely holds my interest.

Action all the way :p:cool:

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I went for Action.

And despite the really surprising support for comedy in this thread, I predict action will win the "most player supported" counter. Logically thinking: In a shooter which is nothing but an action game in itself, you'll most likely find people who prefer action in other areas of their entertainment-life aswell. If comedy was to win that counter, I'd really be surprised.

But anyhow... Good luck to everyone! Let's hope this will be a fun event again!

Wallflowercat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6647-4456-4981
I went for Action.

And despite the really surprising support for comedy in this thread, I predict action will win the "most player supported" counter. Logically thinking: In a shooter which is nothing but an action game in itself, you'll most likely find people who prefer action in other areas of their entertainment-life aswell. If comedy was to win that counter, I'd really be surprised.
Never thought of that, good point! Let's see how it plays out

Cyan

Inkling Commander
@Cyan Pearl and Marina talked about movies and tv shows, actually.
Well that was in game, when I wrote that post I'd only seen the online announcements, and all of those made it sound like a battle of movie genres (which still makes more sense to me), nowadays TV is usually just crime fiction and occasionally comedy programmes (not to mention most TV is pretty bad anyway, I watch none of it). It does make more sense to include both, but for me movies still makes up the larger proportion of the question due to the genres being more prevalent there for a true fight. I have a feeling this might be the first Marina win in Europe, and this is probably what they were trying to achieve with this global theme.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Action will easily win popularity, so it's just a matter of if we can get one more point. Having missed the previous Splatfest, I'll definitely be doing my part!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
IDK about that. I've seen more team Comedy myself. I predict it'll be very close when it comes to popularity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom