• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Japan Exclusive Gear

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
So, I know that threads like this have probably been posted before, but I just recently found out that a suit was one of the latest pieces of Japan exclusive gear in Splatoon 2. Japan exclusive content has been a thing with Nintendo for a long time (like Pokemon distributions) so I was kind of hoping that Splatoon 2 would be the first game where Nintendo didn't do this.

Obviously, they did.

So, what I'm wondering is why they do it. Has there ever been any official word on why this keeps happening? Some people say that it's to tie in with the Splatoon manga, but it's not like that's only in Japan either. I saw the first 3 volumes of it at a local Barnes and Noble just yesterday, translated to English. So that can't be the entire reason.

To add insult to injury, we can't even order it from Japanese players in Inkopolis Square. Anything short of hacking bars US and EU players from it completely. I was fine with the 7/11 jackets and the Emperor gear. But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they released things like Agent 1 and 2 gear or Agent 1 and 2 Amiibos or Pearl and Marina's stage outfits... Only in Japan.

tl;dr Has Nintendo ever given an official reason for continuing the trend of making fresh gear and only giving it to Japanese players?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Japanese companies put Japan first. That's been the case for decades now, there's mountains of evidence.

For an example, Streetpass - an idea that works wonderfully in a country where people are condensed and ride public transportation more often than not. Meanwhile in parts of the world where people aren't packed in like sardines, that function of the 3DS was borderline useless for many people.

We are not the primary market for companies like Nintendo and never will be. That's just how it is. And frankly? Almost all the Japan-exclusive gear is lazy re-colors anyway. We're not missing much.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
And frankly? Almost all the Japan-exclusive gear is lazy re-colors anyway. We're not missing much.
Except... Except the cool Spy Gear! *sobs in Undercover*

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Except... Except the cool Spy Gear! *sobs in Undercover*
Yeah, that's the one I was upset about specifically. It will forever leave my vision of a Kingsman and Splatoon crossover unfulfilled...

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Yeah, that's the one I was upset about specifically. It will forever leave my vision of a Kingsman and Splatoon crossover unfulfilled...
I mean, I don't think the abilities on it are good for Undercover right? But that head gear.... :(

Cephalobro

I mean, they have shown the manga's Agent 8 (the male Octoling who is also wearing the Squidlife Headphones) and a female Octoling in which both wear the Agent 8 outfit, luckily, their lack of a visible multiplayer legwear might suggest those are saved for Amiibos instead.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Actually the manga is more than likely the reason (excluding the stuff tied to Japanese stores and such). The Chapter that Emperor appears in isn't out yet. I'm not sure about the Spy Gear as that would be waaaayyyyy after updates to Splatoon 2 stop, but for the manga stuff we're still playing catch up with Japan.

I'm wayyyy more jealous at Japan getting ridiculous stuff like *real* Splatfest shirts and Splatfest related gear. There's an entire Sanrio x Splatoon merch line we'll never see and RIP anyone's wallet who wants to import it :,(
If that's the case, it's more likely that they will make it available through the Switch News thingy rather than have Judd give it to you. Either that or they would make it available as a My Nintendo reward (I hope they don't do that if they make you use Platinum Coins).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom