• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Japanese Learners Thread!

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
こんにちは! Ginger Gari here. If you know me, then you know that I'm more of a comment on everyone else's thread than make my own, but here I am.
Inspired by the Fact(s) about yourself thread, I decided to make a thread for all those on Squidboards who are learning Japanese! We can talk about learning the kana, kanji, pronunciation, anything as long as it's related to learning Japanese. If this is in the wrong thread(again), feel free to tell me and move it. どうもありがとう, and have fun!

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
oh hey! I'm not really actively learning Japanese, as I'm about semi-fluent in it (not so much in writing it, but in reading it), but I'm happy to help if anyone wants??

みんなさんがんばってぇ!!!

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
oh hey! I'm not really actively learning Japanese, as I'm about semi-fluent in it (not so much in writing it, but in reading it), but I'm happy to help if anyone wants??

みんなさんがんばってぇ!!!
RIP, I really need to focus on Japanese this summer. I have no idea what you said, but I know what the hiragana are (learned it last summer)
I'm probably going to be more focused on reading than speaking, so I'm going to be learning the Joyo Kanji (unless you think I hold learn N5 Kanji first)

Cuttlefish

NNID
tokkers
RIP, I really need to focus on Japanese this summer. I have no idea what you said, but I know what the hiragana are (learned it last summer)
I'm probably going to be more focused on reading than speaking, so I'm going to be learning the Joyo Kanji (unless you think I hold learn N5 Kanji first)
"minnasan ganbatte!" , meaning "everybody do their best!"

to be honest with you, I'm not sure what order I did things! I started with textbooks, basic phrases and kana, and then I jumped into immersion pretty early. reading stuff on sites like pixiv, translating things, watching a LOT of Japanese children's programs for some reason...and now I mostly translate (the splatoon manga is my current project) and talk to Japanese friends of mine!

I'd say go with what you think seems most interesting. some people like to do it by the book, some, like me, prefer immersion. some like a mix of both ! if something is too hard you can always come back to it later on :>

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
"minnasan ganbatte!" , meaning "everybody do their best!"

to be honest with you, I'm not sure what order I did things! I started with textbooks, basic phrases and kana, and then I jumped into immersion pretty early. reading stuff on sites like pixiv, translating things, watching a LOT of Japanese children's programs for some reason...and now I mostly translate (the splatoon manga is my current project) and talk to Japanese friends of mine!

I'd say go with what you think seems most interesting. some people like to do it by the book, some, like me, prefer immersion. some like a mix of both ! if something is too hard you can always come back to it later on :>
I'm focusing on reading (although I shouldn't neglect speaking) so I will snub anything with romaji instead of furigana XD

Cuttlefish

NNID
tokkers
I'm focusing on reading (although I shouldn't neglect speaking) so I will snub anything with romaji instead of furigana XD
hehe >w> to be honest, im not sure how a lot of kanji are actually read out, i just know what they mean OOPS... i would talk more but i don't really have the opportunity to :s i can pronounce everything just fine though and i can read out, but forming sentences is tricky. it's like this with all language, though, haha.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Cool. I'm currently learning to read kanji. Although, I'm fluent in speaking the language itself.

pixelizedchell

Inkling
こんにちは!私はチェルシーです。初めまして!That's about the extent of my Japanese but I'm Chelsea. I know bits of Japanese but I'm really bad at kanji and I'm mostly self-taught.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
こんにちは!私はサイマグです!

I just bought a new notebook today so I can begin re-taking notes and start fresh! I can still comfortably read Hiragana and Katakana, fortunately, which means I can jump right into the Kanji!

Cuttlefish

NNID
tokkers
こんにちは!!僕はキャッテルフィシュ(アタリメ??ww)です!キャッテルもいい

よろしくお願いします!

i'm self taught, have been doing it since i was like 11-12, so thats 5-6 or so years!! time is fake, honestly
like i said i translate stuff so i'm fairly experienced, i also talk to japanese friends on a regular basis and just generally read japanese material a lot. since its basically like my second language at this point, it just sort of happens i guess :>

oh here's a tip; if you're having trouble with kanji, check your local library or something if theres any kind of specific guide on kanji. i found one at my central library and honestly, it saved my butt SO much. it didnt just tell me what kanji meant, it explained what they represent. since they're pictographs and all! that really helped me get the hang of kanji, so if you guys can find something like that or similar it might really help you, too!

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
こんにちは!私はりゅうじです!よろしくお願いします!

I'm self-taught as well. I bought several dictionaries and kanji books to study Japanese. I can even practice writing the kanji in them. I've pretty much learned all the kana, except for the few times I forget how to write them from memory without a visual reference lol. It's weird I can read all kana but a few of the more lesser used ones I can't seem to remember as much. Guess I should practice more haha.

On an interesting note, I'll be going to Japan at the end of this month to study at a language school. I'll be there for almost an entire month, so it should a really illuminating experience!

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
こんにちは!私はりゅうじです!よろしくお願いします!

I'm self-taught as well. I bought several dictionaries and kanji books to study Japanese. I can even practice writing the kanji in them. I've pretty much learned all the kana, except for the few times I forget how to write them from memory without a visual reference lol. It's weird I can read all kana but a few of the more lesser used ones I can't seem to remember as much. Guess I should practice more haha.

On an interesting note, I'll be going to Japan at the end of this month to study at a language school. I'll be there for almost an entire month, so it should a really illuminating experience!
Neat! Hope you enjoy it! Where in Japan will you be going? A few years ago I went on an exchange program to Aichi and went to a high school in Nagoya for about 5 months.

I suppose I'll introduce myself then.
和夫です。四世日系カナダ人のハーフです。2012年の時、日本にホームステイをしました。まだペラペラじゃありませんけど今勉強をします。よろしくお願いします!
I'm Kazuo. I'm half Japanese and my great grandparents on my father's side came from Japan. Though I would not call myself fluent yet, I am currently studying the language. I am planning on going to university in order to become either a translator or perhaps an English teacher in Japan.

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
はじめまして、みんたさん!キックパンチャアです。にぼんごをじょずじゃない、たからがんばります!

Okay, first I am going to apoligize for if I "misspelled" anything. I downloaded a new app specifically for this, so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Anyway, I took a Japanese class several years ago in school. I remember a decent amount, but not everything. But hey, that's why we're herd, right?

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Neat! Hope you enjoy it! Where in Japan will you be going? A few years ago I went on an exchange program to Aichi and went to a high school in Nagoya for about 5 months.

I suppose I'll introduce myself then.
和夫です。四世日系カナダ人のハーフです。2012年の時、日本にホームステイをしました。まだペラペラじゃありませんけど今勉強をします。よろしくお願いします!
I'm Kazuo. I'm half Japanese and my great grandparents on my father's side came from Japan. Though I would not call myself fluent yet, I am currently studying the language. I am planning on going to university in order to become either a translator or perhaps an English teacher in Japan.
Well, while I'll buy studying the language, I also have the opportunity to go to different cities to learn about the culture. I'll be going to Tokyo(ofc!), Kyoto, and Kamakura. It's through a program online called Go Go Nihon!. Really expensive but well worth it.

That's cool your part Japanese. You seem pretty adept with the language already though to be honest xD

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
@Ryuji About how much does that program cost? (I probably won't be able to afford it but I might as well ask :p)
It's a summer course that costs around $4000 Canadian. It's for the schooling and accommodation, as well as the extra activities you get to do(trip to Kamakura and Kyoto, calligraphy, wearing tailored Yukata, going to izakaya, and visiting traditional Minka-en). You have the option of choosing which activities these are. There are a few I didnt list, like making Bonsai and tea ceremonies, but only because of expense I didn't choose those. Food you'll have to buy on your own.

You attend school from morning to afternoon, so you have the rest of the day to explore and make friends. So overall I think I'll enjoy myself ^^

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
So for some reason I was looking up clips from old Godzilla movies (I haven't seen any yet besides the 2014 movie), and in one of the clips a guy is trying to find survivors on a ship. He finds someone who's alive and finds the guy's ID card. The important thing is that I recognized the word 学生 on the ID card as "student!" It's not much, but I'm proud of myself! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom