• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Just How Useful is The Killer Wail?

I've heard talk about how the Killer Wail isn't such a good special. It's my personal favorite! It may get you into some tight situations at times, but it has the potential. So I made this thread to truly explore the capabilities of the Killer Wail.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
They all have their uses, some better than others. I like to have it for some modes or maps. Narrow passage ways that players can't dodge it. Killed a couple and then use it to kill them again. Taking people off towers and such.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Fun fact, Killer Wails have a lot of knockback, so you can lock down a Bubbler or Kraken next to a wall and watch them panic as their special runs out before yours ;)

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Wail is better in Ranked Battle, where it can be used in conjunction with Splash Walls aggressively (cough port mackerel cough), be used to force enemies off the tower/away from the Splat Zone/rainmaker pedestal, and sometimes get the critical enemy teamwipe, allowing for killer pushes.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Killer Wails also destroy deployments by the enemy team; a.k.a. Splash Walls, Sprinklers, and Squid Beakons. I believe they also destroy the Rainmaker's shield. But I also think they cause an immediate destruction of any timed enemy bomb caught in it, a.k.a. Splat Bombs, Suction Bombs, or Seekers. Correct me if I'm wrong on this last one.

Also, Double Wails do have the ability to splat all members that are currently playing. It's basically a temporary out-of-bounds zone.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Killer Wail isn't the best special but that doesn't mean it's bad. In my opinion, I think its fine as it is. It just tears through enemy defenses. On maps like Triggerfish or Macherel where there are a lot of straight, narrow paths its almost unavoidable. It's also worth mentioning that Killer Wail needs the lowest amount of points to be activated being 160p. Plus, in TC it's an absolute beast at controlling the tower.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Personally i find Wail to be the most useful with Rainmaker. The user with the RM will be marked whenever it's in kid form, and whenever the wielder is in kid form it's usually busy shooting at stuff. Wail pierces terrain so you'll be able to snipe the wielder with it through walls with little effort.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Too many people try to aim it for kills in areas where the opponent can easily dodge it instead of aiming it at angles or blocking off paths to force the enemy to move in the direction you want them to.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Earlier today one of my teammates aimed their Wail at the enemy pedestal to force enemies away and allow our Rainmaker bearer to advance in less danger for the touchdown.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Ive died to angle aimed Wails too many a time.

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam
The killer wail is very good, in my opinion. It's biggest strength over other specials is that it only takes 160 points to charge, because of this, it helps get early lead if you can get a few kills with it or just keep opponents away from a certain area, giving your team a head start sometimes. Using it to get rid of long ranged gun users at high vantage points is also extremely useful, since it forces them to jump off, losing their advantageous spot and possibly forcing them into a bad position, making them much easier to kill. Another great use for it is just locking down the opponent's spawn if your team just needs a bit of time for the final push for the lead, doing this has saved games for me before. In general, you want to just force your opponent away from certain spots on the map.

The levels that I'd say it's best for are as follows: Urchin Underpass, Arowana Mall, Bluefin Depot, Camp Triggerfish, Port Mackerel, and Walleye Warehouse. It's still very useful on the other levels, but there just aren't as many great spots to use it in, from my experience.

Turf War: Use it to keep your opponent's from covering ground as much as possible.

Splat Zones: Use it to keep your opponent's away from the zones as much as possible, anytime you opponent is in a better position your team, use this to get them away from it.

Tower Control: Use it to get your opponents off the tower or keep them away from getting to the tower by locking down their their spawn point.

Rainmaker: Use it as a wall to keep the rainmaker from moving forward, or making a safe path for your team's rainmaker.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Wail must be used wisely, though. I've had a panicking sniper waste their Wail on me when I was pressuring them. They even missed, too.

RascalTC

Inkling
I really like it on Blackbelly Skatepark Tower Control. Helps clear the halfpipe straight for your team to ride the tower the last little bit they need, or you can put it at the end to force your opponents to go around (assuming they weren't silly enough to get splatted by it), which they likely won't have enough time to do if you've just sent them back to their respawn point and indeed have the tower in the final stretch.

Pallid

Inkling
I love the Killer Wail! It's pretty persuasive at getting squids to get out of the way and also flushing out corridors.
It's also handy for if you just kind of need to clear a path for your team, because they can walk through the 'beam' just fine!

Although I do find that it's the only special I have a bad habit of deploying when I don't mean to, and man is it a crappy special to accidentally whip out when someone ambushes you.

I love the Killer Wail! It's pretty persuasive at getting squids to get out of the way and also flushing out corridors.
It's also handy for if you just kind of need to clear a path for your team, because they can walk through the 'beam' just fine!

Although I do find that it's the only special I have a bad habit of deploying when I don't mean to, and man is it a crappy special to accidentally whip out when someone ambushes you.
I know that feel.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin

Hah tell me about it! This why I hope they relocate the special weapon to the unused L button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom