• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Just something to get out of my chest... it's about my experience with Clans

くコ:彡 - ROXY

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
I don't know if this is the right place to post something like this, so I'm sorry in advance. Also there may some strong language, so sorry for that too...

I had no clue how many people I know were S or S+ and here I am, still lagging behind despite the fact that I got the game a week after launch. The reason is because work and now school, but when I am free… I get anxious to play again.

At some point last year after the major update, I joined a clan. By that time I was only B-, struggling to get out of there. before clans were a thing, I knew the leader via a random group chat from Squidboards, then a few weeks later, I saw that he had a tag on his name so soon, clans started popping up, like in any online based games and a part of me wanted to grow with the community. When it comes to gaming, I’ve always come up on the short end, I want to move away from casual and be competitive, I want to be good at something for once in my life and working in a team to achieve the same goal… so I asked to join that clan

… that’s when everything went to s***…

After doing my try out and interview (yeah, they were really into it) I was accepted into the group and the first thing hit me, I was badly under level. when I joined I was B-, everyone else were S and even S+, and to join you have to at least be A, so I feel like I weaseled my way into the group. They offered to help me level up, but I felt like I was just a burden for them; switching to alt account and no using their mains because it wasn’t unlocked yet. All was fine until I started showing the side of me I am not proud of: my temper. I have a very hard time controlling my angry and I started groaning and yelling and lashing out at people, thankfully, they were able to brush my hissy fits but deep down, it makes me paranoid that they don’t want me in the group. Since I was B- and everyone’s alt were A or S, we ended up facing a lot of S and S+ squads and clan, so that was effecting my rank. After hours of bitching and playing, I finally hit A-, finally was about to move up, but at the same time, my rank was always in danger. One night, one of my teammates told me about a way to keep my rank from dropping and even gave me the instructions to do so…

Today, that is known as Save Scumming… I will admit that I used to save scum for a while, but it was seriously started getting annoying to go into my Wii U save data every single time to update the file, so I stopped, but that’s not what killed it for me though.

One thing that sucks about being an adult is to work. I worked at a retail store for all of last year and usually I would come home exhausted to even play, so I would end up missing out on playing and squading with my clan. Through out the mouths, the Skype group chat was growing kind of dead, except for the usual random talk and asking for squads at 6am (one member was from Spain) and I was getting nervous; are we going to disband? I also would check Team Speak (before Discord was a thing) but sometimes no one was online, sometimes they would be online on the Wii U but most of the time, there was no private rooms open. Despite not being able to play as often with them, I was happy for my team, I really felt like was part of something, and it killed me that I didn’t have the time or energy to practice with them. When 2015 was about to end, I made the choice to got back to school, but this time, I am dorming upstate, so guess what, I would have more free time to finally play Splatoon again! I even told the chat that I now have time for them, but it remained silent… then it was 2016, January, and the day came to pack up and go to school… and then it happened…

On the third day of me staying in the dorm (trying not to let homesickness kill me) I get a message from the clan leader; whenever you get a message that begins with “we need to talk”, you know your anxiety will flare up. It was what I feared, the team felt that I wasn’t putting in my work for the clan and not practicing (even thought I told them I was working) and viewed me as the weakest link, so they had to let me go. I was heart broken, I thought they were my friends and they were so quick to ditch me like this and even after I told them I was sorry and now I’m free to play… I felt betrayed… After that, I was kicked out of the chatroom, I contacted one of the members (the one that told me about save scumming) and asked her what the rest thought about this; she only told me that they didn’t what what was going on.

Since that day, I haven’t been able to play again like I wanted to, I felt so depressed that I couldn’t play ranked or turf matches without thinking of the betrayal. On the rare cases that I can play, I felt my anger exploding more (I even cracked my gamepad screen) and I can’t think straight. One of my friends here suggested I try out for another team, to help me get better and forget the old group. I started interacting with a Facebook group and they started posting try out for their clans. It gets hard from this point on.

First I tried out for “TI_” (Titan Ink), but I got rejected, the guy didn’t tell me why until I straight up asked him and he basically told me that I screwed so badly and I missed any opportunities during rainmaker to win, but I fail. next I tried from for a new all-girl clan named “ca” (Cuttle’s Angels), but I didn’t get in because of limited spacing (which begs the question WHY i didn’t get a spot), then “INK”, but I was rejected, but they thought I was pretty good with my Duel Squelcher. I wanted to try out for [C-] but you have to be S+ to even try out, then I applied for “SND” (Squids Next Door) but I didn’t get word back until months later (BTW, rejected). this was soul crushing to me, I felt so useless that I couldn’t support a team at all, then I made the sad attempt to beg for another chance to join the old again, but I didn’t want to come off as more broken than I already am. I got word from my friend that his old clan “SHL” (Shoals) disbanded and some of the remaining member regrouped to be “PSR” (Prism Shore) and he let me in, even though then leader was having his doubt about having me join without doing a try out. So, you’d think that’s where the stupid story ends, right? Well, no, it gets worst.

After some time being with “PSR”, I started seeing the ugly side of competitive players, mainly from the leader. He’s S+ 99, and he always looked down on us, thinking we’re just a bunch of jokers and just basically call us ****ty; it even showed when we were playing in private battles. After storing out some **** with him, our clan enter an online tournament; I was excited and nervous but I wanted to do it. We were doing pretty well until we hit the quarter finals, where we faced off against team Chimera, then we had our a**es handed to us. Unknown to me, that round was recorded by Chimera on YouTube. I looked through the comments, all was normal, like “awesome vid” or “ you killed it!” and stuff like that, but then I saw one comment that killed me, “their first mistake was having a A+ rank in this tournament”… I was the only person on the team that wasn’t S or S+. I made the dumb mistake and replied back, defending myself, but then I started seeing comments say “oh, they were save scumming” (There were some comments saying “rank means nothing” but it wasn’t helping my case). I started replying back that I don’t save scum, but then I realized something, the ones calling me out as a cheater were from my ex-clan; they were talking s*** about me. I told them that I don’t save scum anymore, but they never replied back… I wanted to cry that night. After that, I contacted one of them on skype, and the mood felt so strange, I was like I was taking to an employee of some business. I confronted her about the comments I was getting from those guys, they were targeting me as a cheater.

It was then I was was told why I was kicked out; apparently they NOW have a very strict NO CHEATING policy and since they knew I used to save scum, and the fact I was inactive, they found their reason to get rid of me, but they were the ones who told me about save scumming. See, save scumming for rank is bad, but save scumming for rolls is A-OK! and when I told her that she taught be about rank saving, she was so quick to deny that she showed me how to scum from re-rolls, not ranks and that she thought I knew that reason for my banning. That’s were I called bullshit, they set me up for this crap and I had to pay for it. Since then, I can’t trust anyone in a clan, even now, when I see people on Tumblr, where I'm more frequent now, posting their squid kid and showing their S and S+ ranks, I just see an enemy and if they are in a clan, I see them as a threat… and I want to see them lose…

At the time of this post, I am currently A+ 42, but since all this drama, I get anxious to play any ranked battles because I start to remember that clan and any clan tags I see online, they become my target, further fueling my anger problem and further making me play worse and worse... And on top of that, PSR disbanded too so I'm alone again. I know what you’re thinking, “THIS IS STUPID, STOP WHINING ABOUT A F***ING GAME, YOU DUMB S***” but it’s not so much the game that bothers me… it’s people in general. I feel like like I’m lagging behind everyone I know. almost everyone I’ve interacted with are already S ranks and some even hitting S+, and here I am… to scared and angry to move up…

I guess I can’t be good at anything, can I…

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Competitive games are always full of ****ty people, yeah. Competition brings out the worst in folks - just look at politics. Sorry you had to deal with so many of them. Still, it kind of sounds like you have issues beyond the game proper. I don't mean to offend with that and I'm sorry if it does.

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
You can probably have the best of both worlds. From what you said, it seemed like the sense of belonging was what really drew you to join a squad. There are squads that play for fun and those that are competitive. You would probably enjoy yourself in a squad that simply plays for fun, because when those squads lose, there's no finger pointing. In addition, those casual squads tend to have pretty loose entry requirements, so you won't have to worry about your rank.

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
Competitive games are always full of ****ty people, yeah. Competition brings out the worst in folks - just look at politics. Sorry you had to deal with so many of them. Still, it kind of sounds like you have issues beyond the game proper. I don't mean to offend with that and I'm sorry if it does.
It's fine, it's just... This has been bothering me for months and I feel like I can't be useful for anything

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
A lot happened, eh.

Well, as Valkyria said, you should try to find a more fun-oriented team. Maybe one with lower ranked people too (there are). I was in a team trying to be both competitive and fun for several months. We had S/S+ players, and we had B-A players too. I never bullied them or anything, and tried my best to make them learn things. But really, the feeling that "I'm weaker than the others, I'm making my team lose" is real. It can't be helped, if you're weaker you're bound to make more mistakes, not help as much and so on. If you play to win, it will always be a problem, and so I would recommend to find a team around your level.

Else, find a team more fun-oriented, as they won't care much about losing in the first matched in tournaments, they will have fun on TeamSpeak or such, and they will casually play squad or things.

About the rank save scumming thing, I would say you were kinda dumb (not sure if I can find another way to say it without being mean, sorry) not to think about it being a cheat or not. I mean, in a multiplayer game which ranks you based on your victories, it should be quite obvious that any way preventing a rank loss while you lose too much is actually cheating. But well, it happened, it's in the past now, you can move on.

About the anger problem, this is very bad. You have to work on this as a player, and probably as a person too. Remember that you can't win every game, and you'll have annoying things happen. Maybe a lot. If you're pilling up anger game after game, just take a break. And to avoid this, try thinking "well ok, we lost, I tried, I should have done this, I'll do it in the next game". Even if your partners were 90% responsible in your point of view.

Well, to sum it up, I agree with Valkyria, and good luck improving both in patience and game. You just need to find the right people after all.

G

girigiriHERO

If anyone was curious who my old clan was... It was EDPP
Just gave this a read 'cause I had some free time at work.

Your first mistake was joining a squad, period. I work too, I have priorities (friends, family, etc) and I play Splatoon maybe 5 hours a week (sometimes a bit more during Splatfest) and sometimes even less if I'm playing others games with my limited time. I can only imagine the stress if I were required to play x hours a week. Rank means nothing, it's a letter on your screen. Furthermore, if you have a bad temper I'd avoid strangers online because they won't all understand why you get angry over a game. I'm not sure why you put so much importance on "belonging" and saying you're not good at anything, perhaps you should see a doctor if these are your true feelings because that's not healthy at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
Just gave this a read 'cause I had some free time at work.

Your first mistake was joining a squad, period. I work too, I have priorities (friends, family, etc) and I play Splatoon maybe 5 hours a week (sometimes a bit more during Splatfest) and sometimes even less if I'm playing others games with my limited time. I can only imagine the stress if I were required to play x hours a week. Rank means nothing, it's a letter on your screen. Furthermore, if you have a bad temper I'd avoid strangers online because they won't all understand why you get angry over a game. I'm not sure why you put so much importance on "belonging" and saying you're not good at anything, perhaps you should see a doctor if these are your true feelings because that's not healthy at all.
I get what you're saying, and it's been a while since I made this (and it's amazing you read through all of it, heh). Since then I actually formed my own team and while we're still rough around the edges, we still try to play our best. I'm trying to put this mess behind me, but lately I'm learning to watch my temper and trying not to put myself down a lot. Thanks for the reply thought

Electisauce

Inkling
NNID
Korla.exe
If you have temper problems like that then I suggest taking a break if you go on a loss streak and get it out of you. Don't put yourself down that much to the point where you feel like you'll fail everytime, everyone's not perfect! Also good luck with your team I'm sure everyone is awesome there. :)~

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
hey there. thank you for writing this, i think it's important for any player, squad or no squad, to reflect on <:3

i too have anger issues, but it's not entirely your fault that you ended up with people this toxic. you don't deserve anything like that and it's important that you've acknowledged you have issues. you can work on them, and hopefully find yourself a squad who will treat you like another player, just as every squad should.

try looking for a more casual squad, and move onto competitive squads when you feel you're ready. it's important to give yourself time to learn how to work and interact with other players, and immediately throwing yourself into a situation as stressful and competitive play won't do you much good. baby steps!

good luck, your heart is in the right place and i sincerely hope you can move forward with your squad.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
You are not alone. At least you made it above A-. I've had the game since launch and I haven't been above A- at all. I joined a squads too and everyone was S or S+ except me. Once my squad was going to a tourney and I was excited so I logged on. I was only B rank at this time though. When I joined up for practice I was attacked by my squad. They didn't ask if I could have help levelling up, they didn't ask if I needed help reaching S, all they said was "Where the f**k were you for the last 3 weeks? We are all S! Why haven't you ranked up? We don't need you. Get out." I did one round of splat zones with them and ironically went 19-4 with a win. However what they said to me was so shocking I told them to F off, hope they lose the tournament and quit. I now squad only with friends who I've made in real life to help me rank up and it has been a blast because they actually know me who I am as a person.

I only think one thing about clans now. Too much drama, toxicity and bull****.

P.S: my squad ended up losing the very first round of the tournament. I went over to the leader on this board, laughed in his face and said to him "It probably could have been different if you and your f**k buddies weren't such A holes".

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Btw I saw the tournament video and the comments said about you. Your YouTube channel is TheNovaWind I presume?

Don't feel so bad about losing that match though. You were up against SRB DUDE who is one of the best Splatoon players ever.

I even saw a comment saying your squad is dumb for even going up against DUDE. That's just horrible.....

I also subbed you on YouTube. I'm nintendofool Z

Last edited:

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
Btw I saw the tournament video and the comments said about you. Your YouTube channel is TheNovaWind I presume?

Don't feel so bad about losing that match though. You were up against SRB DUDE who is one of the best Splatoon players ever.

I even saw a comment saying your squad is dumb for even going up against DUDE. That's just horrible.....

I also subbed you on YouTube. I'm nintendofool Z
oh yeah, definitely. DUDE is ridiculously good (his youtube is thatsrb2DUDE, you can check him out), i'm sure you did the best you could, but it is a fact that he is one of the best, in the entire competitive scene.

though the attitude that you should never go up against people like DUDE is so flawed. you can learn a lot from these players, and people like DUDE are really good sports as well, you may lose but they're still good exercises. if you're too afraid to challenge people like this just because they may be the best, maybe you shouldn't be in the competitive scene. (not you, OP! i mean people who comment stuff like that. they're just cowards)

G

girigiriHERO

Another thing to note about rank is it doesn't necessarily represent your ability.

I'm a fairly good Mario Kart 8 player and they start you at 1,000 VR, I bought my Wii U for this game and have dabbled in online and I'm in the 5,000s with very little loses. I still play and still place in the top 3 90% of the time. Does that mean I'm only a 5,000 points player? Not really, I just don't take the time to go higher, however I'm very sure I could compete with 10,000 points players if given the chance.

So I don't understand this "you have to be S" mindset.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
I'm sorry all this took place but I'm glad you can reflect and you recognize your anger and are working on controlling it.

Im part of a group but we mostly play turfwars together. In the last year I think we have squaded 3 times and played about half a dozen teams. We got crushed a few times and sometimes we won. No hard feelings from anyone bc we play for fun. Yah it would be nice to win but if we don't that's okay. We have s+ ranks and also b players. We are a group of about 10.

If I were you I would go through my friends list and play with people who are laid back and not uptight. You also have to let things go and learn to not take things so personal.

I should probably take my own advise. Someone recognized me on a twitch stream and called me out bc we played private once. He remembered my nick and even my score and told me I sucked. I will be honest that annoyed me to no end lol but I'm okay now. I called him a stalker and that was the end of that.

I wish you the best. Just take it one day at a time, don't target people who are in clans in rank battles and let the past go. It won't help to mention previous clan names now either.

You ever hear the saying - the more you stir the sh**, the more it will stink.
GL

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
Thank you everyone for your replies :) since then I started my own clan named "Rejected Refugees", I know the name sounds odd or negative, but given everything I've been through, I feel like it's fitting, since some of my teammates were also in the same boat as I was. I've finally made it to S rank and my confidence has improved more. I still need to work on my anger issues, but it has gotten a little better. Reflecting on the past has helped me play more aggressive and slowly but surely I'm getting better. I can't change what has already happened, but now I have something to look forward to in the future, right now my team is playing LUTI, Z division, we had a bad start, but we are working on getting better synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom