• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Kelp Dome: Analysis and Thoughts

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Kelp Dome Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

Kelp Dome

Map Layouts:
Overview

Maze like, with many unpaintable glass surfaces. Two paths with upper-pathway made of grate flooring.

Inkopolis News Info:
Callie: "So...I read online that ink is good for plants."
Marie: "Seems legit."

Callie: "Everything grows great in here because it's so hot!"
Marie: "Hmm... Hold on a sec-I gotta go plant some french fries!"

Callie: "Ah...It's always so nice and warm in the dome!"
Marie: "Yeah, it's nice if you like pitting-out all your shirts!"

Callie: "This dome is a fully sustainable ecosystem!"
Marie: "It's about to be a fully stained ink-osystem!

Strategies
-WIP-

Extras
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.

Note: I'm going to need a little help since I may not be able to get on my copy during release of content.

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
I already really like it. It's such a big and wide open stage. There's so much space for you to roam. And in Turf War it's really great. Since you've got so much turf to cover, you end up getting a lot of points. So even if you lose, at least you got a lot of points in the end, usually about the same amount i get for winning in other more narrow and enclosed stages.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So uh, here's some thoughts (haven't been able to get on today, so this is just from shooting Octolings on it in single player, and thinking primarily about Splat Zones because I pretty much only played Ranked over the weekend, but still):
It's really big, though that might just be the really square-ish-ness and having to go through it by myself (with Octolings slowing me down) making it feel large (though I have seriously gotten lost on this map, so...).
Those catwalks are an interesting addition, might make it easier to get around (though you can't ink them and fall through when you squid, so maybe invest in Run Speed Ups), and they're an easy way to get into that center area, could be a good sniper position up there if you put some Ink Saver Mains on. Not a safe sniper nest at all (you can shoot through grates, if I'm right), except maybe that platform in the center where the catwalks connect (but that might not be as useful to hold), but a useful one if you can keep it (might be even more difficult to hold than Blackbelly's tall center platform).
Not surehow Chargers'll do here: on the one hand, those catwalks look to be prime real estate for snipers (excepting the caveats listed above), but on the other, they might have a problem around the edges. Staying on those catwalks might be necessary for Chargers, but if they can pull it off (there are platforms connected to the catwalks that can be inked, so holding those will probably be a good idea), they could hit most of the map.
Can't call it for Rollers either, since getting sniped will be a pervasive problem, but being able to ink large areas quickly should be a good thing to have, and hiding behind corners will aid ambushes imensely. Each particular Roller also brings something unique to the table that could be helpful: regular Splat Roller has Suction Bombs, which could force opponents out of hiding and even splat unaware enemies (its explosions are fairly large, if I recall correctly), and though the square-ish-ness of the map makes just firing the Killer Wail in a direction unreliable, you could aim it at the catwalks to force snipers off. The Krak-On Splat Roller, on the other hand, has Squid Beakons, which should be useful on a map this large (put one in the center for if your sniper bites it, for example), and the Kraken, which can do nothing about the catwalks but can get around the sides of the stage quickly, and maybe even splat people in the center too. On the third hand that I wanted as a kid, the Dynamo Roller is quite sluggish while rolling, but it could be a great sniper substitute/supplement up on the catwalk with its huge swings, and dropping a Sprinkler could be helpful too; finally, having Echolocator could be really useful on a map this large. On the fourth hand I also wanted as a kid, the Gold Dynamo Roller has the same strengths and drawbacks as the Dynamo Roller regarding swing range and slowness and sniper support/subbing, but has Splat Bombs to force enemies out of corners, and Inkstrike lets the roller player help teammates anywhere at any time. Maybe they'll be terrible here (this chance goes up greatly if opposing snipers run amok IMO), maybe they'll be great, I don't know.
Conversely, I'm pretty sure I can call it now for Inkbrushes. They'll be useful, since they can get around quickly and leave an ink-trail for their teammates to follow, and they can ambush people around the edges of the stage (hiding around corners to swing at people passing by gets me splatted plenty of times on Port Mackerel, so...), but they have no place on the catwalk (can't ink grates, so they're no faster than a normal Inkling on those) so they have to take the long way to go anywhere quickly. Still, they'll probably have at least a support role.
Shooters like the Aerosprays should suffer due to the stage's hugeness, but I could see guns like the Gals and Splattershot Pros being great here, especially around the sides. Squelchers could do that too, or maybe they could take up a sniping position on the catwalks (especially Custom with its Burst Bombs). Blasters should get great mileage out of ambushes (and destroying people on the catwalks, if they get close enough), but might have to shadow someone else (Inkbrushes, for example) to get around in a timely fashion (due to the combination of size and not being particularly good at covering turf). Splattershot Jr. should retain some use, between the Splat Bombs for checking areas and the Bubbler for winning firefights (or at least forcing retreats); not sure about Custom Jr. though (Disruptors might be useful for immobilizing foes for easier sniping, and Echolocator should be amazingly useful on this map, but I'm not sure giving up Splat Bombs and Bubblers is worth it). Splattershots (normal and Tentatek) should be alright here.
Overall, I'm gonna love it here. Tomorrow.
Also, @AstralSpirit DUDE. HOW.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
The grate pathways add a lot of strategy to the map, lets you move around easier and shoot more turf at the cost of being an easier target for the enemy, and you can leave them at any time by turning into a squid. I've seen a lot of people use chargers and they appear to be a good fit for taking down foes on the walkways, I used the N-Zap 85 myself. Matchmaking loved giving me bad teams and Urchin Underpass so I couldn't play on it as much as I wanted to in Turf War, so I have nothing to say about Splat Zones (I'm guessing the central platform is the splatzone).

Also please don't waste your time with the area behind the respawn point, just spray a bit and run off to territory we have to fight over.

jam1garner

Inkling
NNID
jam1garner
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Kelp Dome Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

Kelp Dome

Overview

Maze like, with many unpaintable glass surfaces. Two paths with upper-pathway made of grate flooring.

Inkopolis News Info:
Callie: "So...I read online that ink is good for plants."
Marie: "Seems legit."

Strategies
-WIP-

Extras
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.

Note: I'm going to need a little help since I may not be able to get on my copy during release of content.
Just some tips for strategies section: The catwalks are great vantage points, but leave you wide open and are terrible for movement. Secondaries are especially useful due to easy "around the corner" kills. This is arguably the best map for mines due to the lack of fluidity caused by the sharp turns, and plenty of thin parts of the map. Snipers due very well on the catwalk, but die more often than most maps' sniping points. It's big, enemy encounters are rare. I have had much luck with the roller on this map, but snipers are impossible to get by, so I avoid them completely. Paying attention to the map is incredibly useful. If you see some enemy ink appearing around the corner from where you are, easy grenade kills will soon follow. This is probably seekers worst map due to the amount of structures. If an enemy is around the corner, it is ill advised to proceed. if they are prepared, they will likely kill you if they wait for you to come. That's about it from my playing of the map so far...

Also one of my favorite maps <3

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
First Impressions:
  • I sense you can break 2000p in this map
  • Gives death from above (and below) a whole new meaning
  • CONSTANT INKING, DON'T STOP
  • Vertical is key
  • This map is amazing already looking to be one of my faves
I have yet to try this map on Rank, hope is just as good

EDIT: Got 2000p on this map

Last edited:

Robochao

Full Squid
NNID
Robochao
Very difficult to plan in ranked. It's definitely a deathmatch-heavy map (as suggested by the Colosseum-like shape). Also, not friendly to snipers.

Openings include "rushing" through the catwalk if not through the only paintable ramp (on the left side) when you start. As a .52 Gal user, I get the advantage over ink brushers and rollers by hopping through quickly set ink wells, but this strategy helps little when the enemy has the hill.

Take the middle if you can act quickly - otherwise, block the enemy team's ink going up the middle's walls.

also INKSTRIKES

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
I'm not sure how I feel about this map yet. It's awfully different from what we already have (which is a good thing). There are a lot of nuances like getting the most utility of the rightmost ramp that leads to your enemy's territory that I think need to be explored more fully before we can really talk about high level strategy. Also, I absolutely LOVE the interesting dynamic the catwalk presents. It adds an entire new axis of consideration when you are respecting your opponent's ability to attack you.

If you guys are not too familiar with the map, I made a quick overview video discussing it and I would definitely appreciate feedback!

AlpacaJesus837

Full Squid
NNID
alpacajesus
This map looks like i will have it's fair share of long range combat and close range combat. There are a few tight turns that rollers are able to surprise opponents and get the upper hand. However, there will be those snipers that are able to pick off stragglers that stray away from their group, thus making them an easier target. This map looks like it's a bit hard to navigate and extremely easy to lose your way, making chargers an excellent choice for this map. However, these players must already establish a spot to replenish their ink or else, they will become an extremely open target. With that said, weapons such as the .52 Gal or the Aerospray series are able to pick off those players. The wired paths make this map much more balanced, due to the fact that it prevents charger users from just camping and using that pathway to their own advantage.

What really intrigues me is the middle of the map, which is shaped kind of like an arena. This seems like an extremely close range type of battle seen. Weapons such as the Splattershot Jr. and the Custom blaster, which both have the sub ability Bubbler, and the Krak-On Paint Roller, will be able to use their abilities to actually push through the giant cluster of player that will go through the middle. However, this also promotes the use of the pathways that lead around them the dome for a "sneak attack" and will eventually lead to a push for game and the infiltration of a team's base. So pretty much, both teams have to be wary of which direction the opponent will be coming, due to the fact that there are three ways that the opponent can come through, the middle, the left path, and the right path.

The ideal gear abilities that would be essential in this type of map would be Ink Resistance, Ninja Squid, or Stealth Jump. However, between Ninja Squid or Stealth Jump, Stealth Jump will prove the most useful in this type of battle style. The main thing about this map that is able to make Stealth Jump the essential choice would be the wide-open and fast paced type of style that this will generate. By grouping in a cluster, this will make it easier to overcome your opponent and eventually ink most of their turf. However(there always is a downside), player who use splat rollers will find you an easy target. By being able to silently infiltrate their base with a partner or by yourself(which is entirely plausible because this map is pretty wide open, minus 3 or 4 tight corners) and get that extra ink, your team will be able to easily turn the game around in your favor.

To finish it off, this map will definitely be an adventure for players that are not used to this type of playstyle. Hopefully, this map can encourage players to try out new weapons and create a sense of variety among the maps released.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
There are many pathways you can take to get to the middle in Ranked. All of them seem p viable imo. Starting from the left and then ending on right:

1. You can simply follow the left corridor and it will lead you into the middle

2. Again, the left corridor except take the grate path

3. If you go straight / a little bit to the left there's a wall you can ink up and take you directly to mid. This seemed to be a popular option in all the groups I've been in since it's the quickest and most straightforward route, but you're also obvious and vulnerable.

4. Right corridor, take the ramp up to the grate path

5. Right corridor, go all the way down it and then over the wall into the enemy's left corridor, and follow it into mid OR

6. Go up the wall that's right there and use their grate

I had more success when I varied the entrance I used instead of just using #3. I got splatted every time I used a grate so I stayed away from using them unless we had the advantage.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I think that the free for all idea could work here with 6 people
The map is really big. I thought Saltspray was the most I could ink in one match (less because of the size but more because of the bottom and catwalks). Because of this, it's not uncommon to go well over 1,000p in a single game. The catwalks are nice and add an interesting twist to the map. I haven't tried this in ranked yet, but I'm guessing it's the large hill or whatever it's called in the center?

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
soo many way people can flank, probably gonna give a other chance if i can. not enjoyed so far.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I think that the free for all idea could work here with 6 people
The map is really big. I thought Saltspray was the most I could ink in one match (less because of the size but more because of the bottom and catwalks). Because of this, it's not uncommon to go well over 1,000p in a single game. The catwalks are nice and add an interesting twist to the map. I haven't tried this in ranked yet, but I'm guessing it's the large hill or whatever it's called in the center?
Yeah but the boundaries of the hill there also extend to the ground abit, so you would have to ink there too.

After playing on Kelp Dome for hours in Splat Zones, this is probably one of the harder maps to capture the hill. You can be attacked from virtually any direction, and those with long range weapons will love this stage. The trick is to sneak in somewhere, preferably not in the open spots running in with guns ablazing, unless the other side's team has their back turned. .52/.96 Gal users should utilize the catwalks, they're at their deadliest up there. However they can still be shot at from below even with short range weapons like the Aerospray and the Splattershot jr. Speaking of the jr., using the bubble special is also pretty helpful here since you're likely to be fired upon from multiple directions. Just don't use it out in the open where Splattershot Pro and Gal users will deliberately shoot at you to push you back, halting your assault and thereby wasting a perfect opportunity to splat them and take the hill.

Splat bombs are essential here in my opinion. Use them to flush out the chargers standing at the top of the hill and standing at the top of the outer edges of the walls of the middle area. Once they jump down, blast them to oblivion. Keep constantly circling the hill and climbing up on top to check for enemies, shooting ink wherever necessary. If you die, utilize the vast amount of open ground to charge up specials. Inkstrike is especially helpful here. It will stop the countdown if the enemy has the hill and also forces them to jump down if they're standing on top of it. Then you can simply come in to pick them off.

You're definitely going to die a lot on this stage more than any other. The fight for the hill is extremely fierce.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I really don't like how Ink Strikes on Splat Zones can both neutralize and cap the zone in one go on this map.

And by really dislike it, I mean it is really fuzzy bunny stupid and just poor design.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I didn't play this map in rank. Can someone post a picture of it, so I can see the splat zone(s)? I did play it in turf war tho. I think anyone with a sizable amount of run speed up, will own the overpass.

MagnaX7

Full Squid
NNID
MagnaX7
Strangly, the standard Splat Roller seems better, because the Beacon is less valuable in a map hwere all area's are instantly reachable.

Also, Sprinkler in the middle can help with Splat Zones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom