• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Kelp Dome: Upcoming Map

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
We know that there is an upcoming map named Kelp Dome... well, you can actually play on it right now! (if you have the game) Head to Level 8 in Single Player. Once you beat all the Octolings, you can even roam around and explore!

This stage is (or is very close to) an exact replica of the map, if a later stage similar to this one, but set in Blackbelly Skatepark, is anything to go by.

The stage seems to be very maze-like. There are several chambers all connected by a grate pathway that goes overhead. The stage is extremely interesting and I am very much looking forward to seeing how multiplayer games will unfold here. It's a very interesting stage.

Reactions: Jet

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Oh, I knew about this. The map is definitely maze-like and narrow.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Very interesting map, your field of view is very limited on the ground, but really great on the grates, but it is more difficult to paint from above I imagine, and you are an easy target too, should be exciting.

Also I believe Bluefin Depot is also a stage later on the campaign.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
Ooo, I remember seeing this during my time playing the single player demo. Can't wait, seems interesting.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
This map is so big looking and maze-like, I'm bound to get lost if I didn't have a map on the Gamepad. It's definitely one of my favorite looking maps so far because it'll really benefit duck-and-cover strategies. It's really narrow and there's so much damn cover everywhere that it'll make up for some peculiar fire fights. I also expect many shooter type weapons to be on top of the grates since they'll have a distinct advantage there. I don't think Rollers will do that well here. They'll mot likely get splatted from a person atop the grates.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Can't say I like it. It's just one big maze, not really good for fighting in. I hope the multiplayer version is reworked.

Life

Senior Squid
Level 8 is very easy to get lost in; I assume having the full multiplayer minimap will help.

Whether Kelp Dome unfolds as a good multiplayer stage or not, we'll have to see in the coming weeks.

MagnaX7

Full Squid
NNID
MagnaX7
So far, I can say this about it after playing on it again just now:

1.Elevated Spawn: Much like Saltyspray, the spawn and a small arean behind it are unaccesable to enemies. The spawn is a bit too high to effectively make use of spawn as a counter to spawn camping. (But ya don goofed if that happend. Just like my teams on many occasions.)

2.Multiple ways out of spawn:You have 4 ways out of your spawn area: Two on the ground and two smaller ramps in the spawn area. This allow for more ways to comeback, as your sidepaths can't be controlled by enemies, like Urchin.

3. Hard High-ground: The flooring of the catwalks are all grates, making it impossible to regain ink on it or traverse them fast (Unless you have Inkbrush). You're also wide open to enemies on the ground. It's risky, but it makes for great vantage point and ink coverage (especially Sprinklers).

4. Will most likely have two Splat Zones: The center of the map has a pillar in the middle, making it impossible to put a splatzone there. But there are two area's to eiter side of the spawn that are perfect for smaller zones. The placement of these zones also makes the center less important in Ranked, as it's used more as a way to get to catwalks leading to the Splat Zones. As soon as most peole will understand that, they will have someone keeping enemies of those catwalks. The Splat Zones are also really far apart.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
4. Will most likely have two Splat Zones: The center of the map has a pillar in the middle, making it impossible to put a splatzone there. But there are two area's to eiter side of the spawn that are perfect for smaller zones. The placement of these zones also makes the center less important in Ranked, as it's used more as a way to get to catwalks leading to the Splat Zones. As soon as most peole will understand that, they will have someone keeping enemies of those catwalks. The Splat Zones are also really far apart.
Ugh, this sounds like even more of a stalemate than Port Mackerel.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
3. Hard High-ground: The flooring of the catwalks are all grates, making it impossible to regain ink on it or traverse them fast (Unless you have Inkbrush). You're also wide open to enemies on the ground. It's risky, but it makes for great vantage point and ink coverage (especially Sprinklers).
Wait, I thought Inkbrushes only moved quickly on surfaces that could be painted. Granted, I never tried running over grates with Inkbrush, but that seems like it would be a problem, yeah?

So, I've played this a few times in single player, and here's my thoughts.
It's huge, or maybe it just felt that way because I didn't have teammates making other paths and covering the rest of it.
Cetainly seems like an alright map for Rollers (since the grate sniper position doesn't let you refill ink (you'd fall through if you tried)), not sure how Chargers will be (again, putting a sniper on the grates only works for so long, and I dunno how they'd do in the corridors). Shooters should be fine though, especially Blasters (so many corners to hide behind).
Not sure where the Splat Zone'll be. I'd put two on opposite sides of the catwalk (there's a wall below that, right? I remember there being one, but I could be mistaken), or two by the entrances to the catwalk (I mean the ones with ramps, or just the non-cylindrical ones if there were no ramps: there are only two of those right?), or maybe just put one in the center.
But we don't even have it yet, so I could be wrong.
We'll see tomorrow night!

MagnaX7

Full Squid
NNID
MagnaX7
Wait, I thought Inkbrushes only moved quickly on surfaces that could be painted. Granted, I never tried running over grates with Inkbrush, but that seems like it would be a problem, yeah?
Given, I only speak from experience because I have tried using a roller on grates, and felt as though my speed was the same as when I was splatting normal ground, so don't quote me on tha- oh wait...

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I imagine that people would take advantage of the maze-like structure to plan out surprise assaults. Considering how well-guarded the Sunken Scroll was in that stage, I'd have to assume that those places are pretty-much good to take and keep control of.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I think of Kelp Dome as the ultimate battlefield map. Maybe a little annoying and different from the other maps first, but it offers a great potential for ambush-strategies. Probably the map I'm most hyped for at the moment.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Does using an Inkbrush on the grates drop ink down below you? That could be handy.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Interesting in concept, but it appears to be too maze-like for my tastes. I like how the new maps introduce a new gameplay style with Port Mackerel making the battles very corridor based, and how this looks like it'll be strategy based (finding a good path to take and what to do on that path). I respect it for that, but I'm still not very excited in all honesty.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Surprisingly good as a Splat Zones map, since you don't pay any attention to the maze aspect. The center zone is hectic and the paths leading to it are different and interesting. And thank god it's only one zone.

Didn't try it in Turf Wars though, I get the feeling I'd probably hate it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom