• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Kirby Social Thread

Aori

Don't get Cooked!

KIRBY FRANCHISE OFFICIAL SOCIAL THREAD
I decided to make a social thread about the Kirby Franchise when I first joined-
Kirby series is very dear to me and I'd like to talk with other fans about it too.
There is currently no Kirby-Dedicated forum, so it's nice to be able to make a thread like this.

LINKS OF INTEREST:
Kirby Cafe (JP) | Kirby games | Kirby Wiki

---
WARNING: Game spoilers will be present in this thread.​

Last edited:

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I love the concept of Kirby and the world in which it's set, but I really haven't played that much. I own the original Kirby's Adventure; Nightmare in Dreamland; Air Ride; and Epic Yarn.

Completed the three platformers listed, although not to 100%. I played through Epic Yarn in 'co-op' (inverted commas for sarcasm) with my sister, which was a wonderful experience. That's probably among my 10 favourite games ever.

Air Ride is probably my favourite racing game; its only competition would be Mario Kart 8, but the sheer simplicity of the Kirby racer wins me over. I used to spend hours in City Trial with my sister just inventing stories to play and exploring the environment through and through. At one point, we (I) created a full Monopoly-style set of cards for all buildings and landmarks in the city, along with a currency system (earning money by breaking certain items, 'working' at a 'shop', etc.). Wonderful time.

Music... gosh, I adore the music of Kirby! Not much else to say about it.

Oh, I've also watched the first half of the anime, when the dub was released on the Wii over time. Love the Meowth-style Escargoon and just how silly King DDD (as it's spelt in the anime dub, I think) and his relationship with his subjects is. The conspicuous CG animation took some getting used to, but, like, it's quaint.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I honestly was talking on another kirby-specific forum (which is... sadly rather dead, but i'm trying to bring it back to life, so sorry for the very subtle promo for it-) about a sequel for Air Ride on either the NX or Wii U. I do hope it'd be on both if someone at HAL Labs did end up giving it an ok, in which i'd also desperately hope it's not cancelled like Kirby GCN was. City trial was super fun and I'm actually bringing Air Ride on my trip to see my friend so we can play it together! It'll be so fun to have someone to play games with again since I currently live alone with my grandparents and they don't really play video games.

Music... gosh, I adore the music of Kirby! Not much else to say about it.
Oh yes! The music for all of the Kirby games always seems to fit perfectly with the game, for example the sort of calm tone of Epic Yarn really fit the cutesy yarn feel of the game! Jun Ishikawa is truly one of the best composers in my opinion and i'm so glad he works on the music for the Kirby Franchise! I especially love the OST of the new game and how many old tracks were remixed / brought back in it. It was really touching to me, and is one of the reasons why Robobot is a very precious Kirby game to me (along with it referencing Air Ride, which is my main favorite in the Kirby franchise despite it just being a sort of spinoff non-story canon racing game?)

I should add I feel if Kirby Air Ride got a sequel, it would have a LOT more content to rival Mario Kart 8 with, as well as a cast of primarily kirby characters (Kirbies, perhaps characters from the anime and games. It'd be amazing to race as susie, ribbon, and so on alongside kirby!). I feel City Trial will be much more expansive too and I hope there's a way to do a free trial WITH the events on, because those are great!

Oh, I've also watched the first half of the anime, when the dub was released on the Wii over time. Love the Meowth-style Escargoon and just how silly King DDD (as it's spelt in the anime dub, I think) and his relationship with his subjects is. The conspicuous CG animation took some getting used to, but, like, it's quaint.
I actually stuck to the Sub for the anime as far as I could. So far it's subbed up to Ep. 77 and Operation: HnK is still working on it. There's a few subs from outside sources beyond that, but they're rather hard to find on youtube... Not really a huge fan of the dub because they cut so much out and censored more than you can imagine, but 4kids is just bad like that, it's like a universal fact. If 4kids dubbed it, try to find the subs if you want something more loyal to the story because 4kids will always butcher out important development and scenes. Like how they called Phantom Star Geras/Gerath a METEOR in one of the dubbed episodes and removed the touching music box from Kirby Super Star used in the park scene.

Actually god, don't even get me started on how much i loathe the music replacement for the dub. A lot of the Air Ride OST is actually reused from the anime, since the anime came first, and therefore i recognized most of the sub's songs from air ride and it was really captivating for me and got me a lot more invested. They also remixed Kirby Super Star songs in the sub too, which is great! I loved how they used actual kirby songs in the original japanese version... but.... they took it all out of the dub...

That's pretty darn unforgivable in my books.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
a sequel for Air Ride on either the NX or Wii U
3DS? It's originally a console game, but the simplicity means that a console release today might be more than it needs. Kirby hasn't had much love on the Wii U, it's true (I don't think that, uh, Plasticine Game was well-received) but it deserves the greater sales that a handheld release would probably make.
Not really a huge fan of the dub because they cut so much out and censored more than you can imagine, but 4kids is just bad like that, it's like a universal fact.
I can imagine. Guilty pleasure of mine, though - I find the dub hilarious a lot of the time, in large part thanks to the 4Kids editing. Also, Meta Knight's weird Spanish accent is amazing.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
3DS? It's originally a console game, but the simplicity means that a console release today might be more than it needs. Kirby hasn't had much love on the Wii U, it's true (I don't think that, uh, Plasticine Game was well-received) but it deserves the greater sales that a handheld release would probably make.
Handheld Kirby games seem like they get more attention, but I don't know. Kirby Air Ride always felt more like a game for the TV based consoles.
Also I don't think the Clay-themed game, Rainbow Curse, was that bad. I haven't played it myself yet, but I feel it's creative and unique and that its not a bad game. That could be just me though.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Does Captain Vul make any cameo in Planet Robobot? Since he was at least a keychain in Triple Deluxe.

(I remember Kirby's Rainbow Resort...a decade ago.)

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Does Captain Vul make any cameo in Planet Robobot? Since he was at least a keychain in Triple Deluxe.

(I remember Kirby's Rainbow Resort...a decade ago.)
I'll have to check over my stickers really quick (Since I 100%'d the game I have all the stickers)-
I don't see him, however I know Sailor Dee is a rare sticker... and from what I recall he was in that game mode of Super Star Ultra too.

(Also, KRR kinda died off for a bit but we're working really hard to bring it back, if you ever feel like being on the forums again!)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The Kirby series is a guaranteed good time. There is no such thing as a bad Kirby game, and that's not hyperbole - even the "worst" Kirby titles are simply mediocre.

My favorites are the SNES titles. Kirby Super Star is a masterpiece, Dream Land 3 is also great, and Kira Kira Kids is face-melting levels of adorable.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
The Kirby series is a guaranteed good time. There is no such thing as a bad Kirby game, and that's not hyperbole - even the "worst" Kirby titles are simply mediocre.

My favorites are the SNES titles. Kirby Super Star is a masterpiece, Dream Land 3 is also great, and Kira Kira Kids is face-melting levels of adorable.
I actually haven't heard of kira kira kids!
I personally haven't played the dreamland series yet, but Kirby Super Star is a really great game! I played the original and Ultra.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
On the game boy Kira Kira Kids was called Kirby's Star Stacker over here, the SNES version is a sequel-slash-upgrade. This screenshot will tell you everything you need to know :P
34305-Kirby_no_Kirakira_Kids_(Japan)-7.jpg

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Oh! It kinda reminds me of puyo pop! I heard of the american name and honestly I wanted to try it out sometime.
My first kirby game was actually Tilt & Tumble... I have very vague memories of it and I think it really captivated me and got me hooked onto the franchise, causing me to look up more kirby games.

From there I played the games in this order:
- Nightmare in Dreamland
- Amazing Mirror
- Kirby 64
- Air Ride
- Canvas Curse
- Squeak Squad
- Epic Yarn
- Triple Deluxe
- Robobot

I have, but have not yet played:
- Kirby's adventure (Nightmare in Dreamland is a remaster of it)

I'm working on playing Return to Dreamland and I hope I can get Rainbow Curse and the rest of the kirby games I haven't played yet.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
When you get around to playing Kirby's Adventure, do so via the original NES version. The GBA remake... isn't so great. It does a lot of odd little things. Here's an example I swiped off the internet.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
My first kirby game was actually Tilt & Tumble... I have very vague memories of it and I think it really captivated me and got me hooked onto the franchise, causing me to look up more kirby games.
Hey, I remember that one! It was quite fun, though a bit weird (dunno if I ever got used to the flick-jump).

My opinion of Kirby should be rather obvious. I've been playing them since the original Game Boy one, though I've missed quite a few (the NES/SNES ones, Star Stacker, Air Ride, Squeak Squad, Mass Attack, Epic Yarn, Triple Deluxe, I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting) It's guaranteed to be a fun time, even the more... experimental (for lack of a better word) titles like Tilt 'N' Tumble (not entirely sure what that was supposed to be, even...) and Canvas Curse (wish I hadn't missed Air Ride, it looks really good on Youtube). And the copy abilities are varied enough that I can find several (at minimum) that I enjoy using in every game that has them. The music's usually good too!
Also it's cute. I love cute s***.

Also, Planet Robobot had a tiny little 3D score attack minigame. It was really basic, but now I'm hoping they'll expand on it for the next game (as the next game, not as a minigame).

Alsoalso, I'm really hoping the Robobot Armor shows up again in a future game. Not necessarily as a playable thing, just like a cameo or a copy ability (Metal Kirby? Really only two ways I can see that going, and Mike Kirby covered the other one, so...). It'd be nice, I think.

Alsoalsoalso, I wish Mike were an actual ability, instead of just a 3-use Crash.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Hey, I remember that one! It was quite fun, though a bit weird (dunno if I ever got used to the flick-jump).
I don't remember too much about it other than the fact it sparked my interest in the rest of the Kirby franchise.

My opinion of Kirby should be rather obvious. I've been playing them since the original Game Boy one, though I've missed quite a few (the NES/SNES ones, Star Stacker, Air Ride, Squeak Squad, Mass Attack, Epic Yarn, Triple Deluxe, I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting) It's guaranteed to be a fun time, even the more... experimental (for lack of a better word) titles like Tilt 'N' Tumble (not entirely sure what that was supposed to be, even...) and Canvas Curse (wish I hadn't missed Air Ride, it looks really good on Youtube). And the copy abilities are varied enough that I can find several (at minimum) that I enjoy using in every game that has them. The music's usually good too!
Also it's cute. I love cute s***.
I would most definitely recommend Air Ride, Squeak Squad, Epic Yarn, and Triple Deluxe personally!
I'm in the middle of playing Return to Dream Land and Mass Attack and rebeating Robobot on 2 more saves!

I love the story of Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse, but the playstyle really isn't my thing....
(I haven't played rainbow curse yet but I watched videos on the story)

Also, Planet Robobot had a tiny little 3D score attack minigame. It was really basic, but now I'm hoping they'll expand on it for the next game (as the next game, not as a minigame).

Alsoalso, I'm really hoping the Robobot Armor shows up again in a future game. Not necessarily as a playable thing, just like a cameo or a copy ability (Metal Kirby? Really only two ways I can see that going, and Mike Kirby covered the other one, so...). It'd be nice, I think.

Alsoalsoalso, I wish Mike were an actual ability, instead of just a 3-use Crash.
Was it Team Kirby Clash or the other one? Because I really liked both of them a lot! I got platinum on all the Team Kirby Clash levels...
I feel the Robobot Armor may return if someone rescues it from space. I still can't get over that because it cried as it saved kirby... I legit got teary-eyed.

They really nerfed Mike anyways so it'd be interesting to see how it'd be as a normal ability, especially since it doesn't kill all on screen anymore from my experience.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I don't remember too much about it other than the fact it sparked my interest in the rest of the Kirby franchise.
Neither do I, actually. I mostly remember the controls being weird and gyroscopey.

Was it Team Kirby Clash or the other one? Because I really liked both of them a lot! I got platinum on all the Team Kirby Clash levels...
Kirby 3D Rumble. Team Kirby Clash could've been good with some expansion (perhaps Archer/Mirror abilities? Cutter, maybe?), but 3D Rumble could be expanded into a full game (with Copy Abilities, actual bosses, playable Bandana Dee, the animal partners, stuff like that).

I feel the Robobot Armor may return if someone rescues it from space. I still can't get over that because it cried as it saved kirby... I legit got teary-eyed.
You too, eh?

They really nerfed Mike anyways so it'd be interesting to see how it'd be as a normal ability, especially since it doesn't kill all on screen anymore from my experience.
...Not how I was hoping they'd differentiate it from Crash.
Still, it did get a new trick in Robobot (just a chargeable last shot, but still), so maybe they'll finally make it a real ability next game (Robobot Mike could be a decent jumping-off point here).

On a maybe-unrelated note, I wish the stuff from Kirby's Dream Land 2/64(probably 3 too, but I haven't played that one yet) came back. Animal partners were a nice way to expand Kirby's arsenal (kinda like the Robobot Armor, but, like, more), combining powers would be a lot of work if it's every ability combination (and I'd completely understand if they didn't go that far, that's a lot of combinations) but I'd like to see at least some ability combinations get unique things (especially bring back the SparkCutter lightsaber. Even if it's only that, I'll be satisfied). Hell, bring Gooey & Ribbon back too, they'd probably be fun to play with.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
...Not how I was hoping they'd differentiate it from Crash.
Still, it did get a new trick in Robobot (just a chargeable last shot, but still), so maybe they'll finally make it a real ability next game (Robobot Mike could be a decent jumping-off point here).
That'd be a cool thing to be honest! I wonder how it'd be as a normal ability considering how the robobot utilized it. Maybe something similar?

On a maybe-unrelated note, I wish the stuff from Kirby's Dream Land 2/64(probably 3 too, but I haven't played that one yet) came back. Animal partners were a nice way to expand Kirby's arsenal (kinda like the Robobot Armor, but, like, more), combining powers would be a lot of work if it's every ability combination (and I'd completely understand if they didn't go that far, that's a lot of combinations) but I'd like to see at least some ability combinations get unique things (especially bring back the SparkCutter lightsaber. Even if it's only that, I'll be satisfied). Hell, bring Gooey & Ribbon back too, they'd probably be fun to play with.
I actually haven't played the the dream land games, but the animal friends seemed really cool to play with! I probably will get it on VC or something some day to give it a shot, mostly since I want to play all the kirby games. I really hope that they bring back combining powers too. I'm still over here lightly hoping they bring back Adeleine. Ribbon would be interesting to see again too.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
That'd be a cool thing to be honest! I wonder how it'd be as a normal ability considering how the robobot utilized it. Maybe something similar?
Probably. Have it shoot sound-waves that bounce off of objects, becoming bigger and stronger with each bounce (like the Robobot does), which can be charged to shoot longer-lasting waves (so they can bounce around more), be able to lob musical notes upward that bounce a couple of times(the Robobot has something kind of like this, but not really), and a second charge attack that's just the current Mike shots (with the larger-area-hitting and more powerful second and third shots requiring a longer charge). Maybe have guard be listening to loud music on headphones, which passively damages nearby enemies. Probably could do better, but eh.

I actually haven't played the the dream land games, but the animal friends seemed really cool to play with! I probably will get it on VC or something some day to give it a shot, mostly since I want to play all the kirby games. I really hope that they bring back combining powers too.
They were, at least in 2 (again, haven't touched 3 yet). If anything, they should be even better in 3, since there are more animals.

I'm still over here lightly hoping they bring back Adeleine. Ribbon would be interesting to see again too.
I knew I wasn't the only one! Paint in general returning (preferably reworked, like Mike up there) would be cool, and Adeleine coming back would be neat on top of that. As for Ribbon, that's partially due to playing Rabi-Ribi (fun bullet hell Metroidvania on Steam), which also has a shoot-em-up fairy named Ribbon, but it'd be nice to see the old cast return in general, and it'd be a nice way to maybe get the copy abilities into the shoot-em-up sections that keep happening (since she could carry Kirby through them like she did in Kirby 64's surprise shoot-em-up level, potentially allowing you to bring, say, Sword or PSI ESP or Fire or Mirror or something into those sections. It'd definitely make those sections more interesting than just having a standard shmupmobile for 'em, at least I think so).

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Sadly, a lot of the cast members from the Dream Land games and 64 are probably not coming back. Kirby's Dream Land 2, 3, and 64 were directed by Shinichi Shimomura, and he had a very different style from series creator Masahiro Sakurai. Which is a shame, they should let that guy make another Kirby game (assuming he's still at the company).

The more you know!

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Sadly, a lot of the cast members from the Dream Land games and 64 are probably not coming back. Kirby's Dream Land 2, 3, and 64 were directed by Shinichi Shimomura, and he had a very different style from series creator Masahiro Sakurai. Which is a shame, they should let that guy make another Kirby game (assuming he's still at the company).

The more you know!
Ooh... True, That's a bit sad. I kinda hope they're at least going to consider bringing back the combo copy abilities. I was playing Return to Dreamland and apparently I could hold my abilities after I dropped them? I didn't really understand if it was a glitch or not, but it felt a lot like Kirby 64. That aside, I'm fine with the old cast of the Kirby games not being major characters in the game anymore too. I'm just glad they get references in the games at least.

That being said Darkmatter Swordsman did show up again in Robobot, so who knows.
I also heard a supercool Re:Miracle Matter mix for if it was in Robobot, almost thought it was real and got excited as ever only to remember it's not in the game, haha.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
It's probably not that great to double post, but I wanted to add...
I really love the 2D kirby games. While I also have a deep love for the 3D games like Robobot, Air Ride, and Return to Dreamland. I have been replaying a lot of the older NES and GBA games, only to realize how amazing they were. Sometimes I wish that they'd make a new Kirby game in 2D, but I'm also starting to realize that 2D games are a thing of the past...

That aside, I have to take a moment to ramble about how much I adore robobot- the fact that ALL amiibo give their own special powerups with the exception of the new squid sisters amiibo which give random because they are not programmed in with their own special abilities and I don't know if they will. Robobot by far had the most amusing story for me and the best collectibles. The code cubes really were fun to get and the puzzles weren't too hard and were very hidden. I also gotta say that even if I had to use a guide for some of the cube / sticker locations I was able to find a lot of them myself.

I LOVED the references to super star. I loved the fact Star Dream was literally one of the Novas, confirming the fact there are indeed multiple and not just the Galactic Nova from Super Star. The final boss fight was probably one of the most challenging and amazing fights I've ever done in a Kirby game with the exception of Sectonia giving me a bit of a hard time. The true arena is really hard too! It was the most fun, especially with amiibo assists! The maximum tomatoes from the robobot amiibos really saved my skin in tough situations.

Not to mention the lore, oh gosh do I love the lore for this game. What I don't like, however, was the incorrect info on the wikia. Fortunately I was able to edit it and people seemed to keep my edit (thank god, I was worried someone'd put the misinformation theories back). People were saying that Haltmann built Star Dream when nowhere in the dialogue in game or in pause screens did it say that. It only said reactivated multiple times in the story, and I believe it's canon (or at least my theory) that only Halcandrians can build the Novas. A lot of people share this belief too from my knowledge, but then just as many people went on to say Haltmann was Halcandrian, which I personally doubt.

Nonetheless, I love how it covers a good portion of the lore in the canon pause screens such as who Susie is and what happened.

All and all, I definitely enjoyed Robobot for the mech segments, story, and def. the music and references. I'd recommend this game to any Kirby fan. I personally liked it over Triple Deluxe (Though I did like TD's minigames a lot to the point I bought the Deluxe versions of them), but that's probably just because I have a deep rooted love for futuristic things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom