• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Krak-On Splat Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Chiro

Inkster Jr.
I dont like the Krak-On Roller due to the Squid Beacon imo, it is overall good but i rather another sub weapon or Dynamo Roller for Splat Zones.

I find Squid Beacons pretty much a waste in stages like Walleye, i find them only handy in Arowana Mall or Urchin Underpass. (Also Port Mackerel for a bit)

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Sooo... we're FINALLY getting another weapon with beacons, and on a weapon at the literal opposite of the range spectrum too: custom e-liter.

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
I dont like the Krak-On Roller due to the Squid Beacon imo, it is overall good but i rather another sub weapon or Dynamo Roller for Splat Zones.

I find Squid Beacons pretty much a waste in stages like Walleye, i find them only handy in Arowana Mall or Urchin Underpass. (Also Port Mackerel for a bit)
While the Roller can be better/worse depending on the stage, Beacons are always useful. Without them, your team can easily get splatted and cornered by one well-used special. On Walleye especially - it's a very linear stage, and with momentum against you it's incredibly hard to reclaim the center. Very easy to cover the few access points there. But beacons change that up - placing them behind opponent's lines will keep them on their toes, and allow your team to keep flanking.

But honestly, I think the best aspect of Beacons isn't how it's a nice post-splat superjump. The real power of Beacons is their ability to create instant map teleportation/free get-out-of-here options for your team. At an A+ level I often see players superjumping back to their base when they're in a bad spot. But Beacons let you jump anytime - an incredibly better option that 1. keeps you alive and 2. creates an instant flank.

Honestly people just aren't used to mid-life superjumping yet (me either). We've played too many other shooters and are unused to the concept - but I think it will really grow with the meta.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roarfang
Love this set-up because rollers and krakens are hilarious, and while I haven't done much ranked, I've gotten to rank B with it and my kill to death ratio is almost always the best out of everyone. That might start changing drastically very soon, but I'll definitely try to go as far as I can with it. My gear gives me ink efficiency so I can roll without care because of natural periodic squid swimming, special charge up to ensure I can build up my kraken easier when I want it or by accident since it is good for offense, defense, and infiltration far and high (in other words it is always useful in just about every situation), and ink resistance because it is just plain helpful. Sadly I almost never think of the beacon, unless a sub is generally applicable to situations I tend to forget about them, but thinking about it I could really help the team if I try to condition myself to placing one down if I get a moment of peace.

ChelseaSmile

Inkling
NNID
Warriorofworlds
I main the Krak-on since I'm still getting used to the mechanics of the game, but I do know the special is hands down my favorite. Its pretty easy to use for splats or just inking areas without stopping to recover ink.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Someone please explain how its fair for a krak-on roller to get to just jump and splat and destroy a splash-wall in one go. Just why. Just tossing the thing makes me run out of ink, but to have them destroy it in one go is unfair. And before you start on the you can shoot them before they do, no, no I can't. The gal maybe, but even then I run out of ink before. Plus they have the kraken.....
So tired of facing teams with 2 of these and they insta win in splat zones :/

Holder of the Heel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roarfang
Someone please explain how its fair for a krak-on roller to get to just jump and splat and destroy a splash-wall in one go. Just why. Just tossing the thing makes me run out of ink, but to have them destroy it in one go is unfair. And before you start on the you can shoot them before they do, no, no I can't. The gal maybe, but even then I run out of ink before. Plus they have the kraken.....
So tired of facing teams with 2 of these and they insta win in splat zones :/
You don't need the splash-wall, just outrange them with your shooter. Your ink is better used killing them before they get to you in the first place.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
You don't need the splash-wall, just outrange them with your shooter. Your ink is better used killing them before they get to you in the first place.
Well its not like I was purposefully using it to block them at the get go, also switched to .52 gal and it works way better. maybe not as long of a distance but really effective with the 2hko
and as an update I just lost another ranked battle because of 2 freaking krak ons on the enemy team. this rng stuff is bull. utter bull. I killed them a hundred or so times too

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Well its not like I was purposefully using it to block them at the get go, also switched to .52 gal and it works way better. maybe not as long of a distance but really effective with the 2hko
and as an update I just lost another ranked battle because of 2 freaking krak ons on the enemy team. this rng stuff is bull. utter bull. I killed them a hundred or so times too
Krak-ons that know how to use their beacons can keep up unbelievable pressure even if you splat them a lot. You really can't afford
to ignore a seemingly unassuming beacon in a good position.

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
I wrote up a quick guide to the Krak-On. I'm a brush player, but trying to get a lot of experience with lots of different weaponry, and might aim for a short series of guides if I get enough experience to know the particular weapon okay. Any critical comments on this from you guys would be welcomed. http://squidboards.com/guides/basic-guide-and-loadouts-krak-on-splat-roller.62/

I'm surprised how little people in this thread rate the beacon, but then I get that it's not an offensive weapon, and it can be a mixed blessing if your team mates are stupid about they use the beacons that are laid down.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
People underrate the beacon? That pretty much why it so popular in ranked match ; even moreso then the kraken.

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
Oh, the beacon is good and good players use it. It's especially good on the new charger, given how devastating it can be to lose a good perch. I was expressing surprise at the number of people in this thread talking down the beacon, not commenting on the popularity of the beacon more generally. :)

Edit: Oh, but here's a quick question worth investigating. If you have to choose between Ink Saver or Ink Recovery for a roller, which would you choose? I'm inclined towards Ink Recovery because you spend so much less time in that rhythm of "ink-then-swim-then-ink" you have with the shooters, meaning recovery for a roller can be a bit more of a pain. But I'm not sure which ability gives the better efficiency in terms of inking time versus ink recovery time.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Oh, the beacon is good and good players use it. It's especially good on the new charger, given how devastating it can be to lose a good perch. I was expressing surprise at the number of people in this thread talking down the beacon, not commenting on the popularity of the beacon more generally. :)

Edit: Oh, but here's a quick question worth investigating. If you have to choose between Ink Saver or Ink Recovery for a roller, which would you choose? I'm inclined towards Ink Recovery because you spend so much less time in that rhythm of "ink-then-swim-then-ink" you have with the shooters, meaning recovery for a roller can be a bit more of a pain. But I'm not sure which ability gives the better efficiency in terms of inking time versus ink recovery time.
Ink Recovery, definitely. The time saved while waiting to use another Beacon is invaluable. The fling barely uses much ink anyways.

EvilMario

Inkling
NNID
EvilMario
Beacons on the higher ranks of Splat are really useful. Players will generally use them and dropping a bunch beyond a point like at Splat Rig gives your team a chance to hold the location for a long, long time.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
for krak on I would prefer saver since most of my early game is gear towards getting invincibility ready
although realistically I'd prob have neither or a sup savor instead

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Hmm, So I wanna say that due to a few friends, Halo 2, and MLG, that I absolutely detest FPS games, with a passion, and Surprise! As a result, I'm mediocre at best at them.

But Splatoon.. Man, They got things right; on the next level.

Krak-On Roller Main. I'm OCD as F***, so being able to perfectly coat the floors or pick up behind 'spray-and-pray' kids, makes this weapon's way of covering Turf amazing; although that applied to the Ink Roller as well.
Also, The Melee Swing is not only perfect for me as I can judge distance pretty well and the shotgun comparison is soo accurate. It's easy and doesn't require practically any aim overall to do what it do.

Beacon, I hate for two reasons:
1. Unless Inkstriking, your team won't ever know a beacon is out there, or look at the map, so it's a polite waste of Ink (although, sneaky places to place it like on top a box or tiptop of a half pipe make it not explode immediately after you throw it down at least lol.)
2. Almost 90% of the time as I grind Gear up, I shake my head when Ink Saver Sub and Especially Bomb Range Up are that ability you worked so hard for that is now wasting a spot.

The Kraken. Man, this thing is stupid.
Of course I mean Stupid in a way of saying Obnoxiously Great. My goal in most game modes is to immediately build up Krakeb, then go do as much in enemy territoy as i can; as long as it's not a Charger far away, then almost always someone will try to stop you, and that's when you hit the switch and either kill their entire team, or scare them and use it to get as much ground covered and as far into roll-able territory as you can. This thing Is my Tomoe. Always protecting me, Killing with Spins and ridiculous speed/strength.

My Set up is having (all main abilities) Speacial Charge, Special Duration Up, and Special Saver. Kraken is fast, lasts a long time, and incase they got you before you moticed, it saves enough to not take forever to get it again. Sub abilities that matter imo are (any of above), Swim Speed, Run Speed, Ink Recovery, Ink Saver Main, and Defense.

I hope this was at all helpful, again I'm no FPS player, but I make this thing do work for me, and constantly push it's potential and tricks. Don't focus on the Kill Count, Roll and the kills will come to you~

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
The Kraken. Man, this thing is stupid.
Of course I mean Stupid in a way of saying Obnoxiously Great. My goal in most game modes is to immediately build up Krakeb, then go do as much in enemy territoy as i can; as long as it's not a Charger far away, then almost always someone will try to stop you, and that's when you hit the switch and either kill their entire team, or scare them and use it to get as much ground covered and as far into roll-able territory as you can. This thing Is my Tomoe. Always protecting me, Killing with Spins and ridiculous speed/strength.
The Kraken isn't that great as people think it is.

First, If you haven't heard of the new patch you can now stop krakens dead in their tracks by shooting at them. Even a ink brush can use it flick to stop it in it tracks, so if someone on the team knows about the patch, which everybody should now your going have a hard time getting kills unless their a charger, trapped, or your already close by. It should mostly be used as a surprised attack

Plus talking about the melee range, people shouldn't be that close by unless their range anything lower then a splattershot.

Unlike the regular splat roller the krak on doesn't have anything to use when something is outside their range. The regular splat roller has bombs and a killer wail while the krak on has nothing to take outside it's range.

How ever I think beacons can help later down the road when you can make friends rooms as it may become easier to talk to one another.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
The Kraken isn't that great as people think it is.

First, If you haven't heard of the new patch you can now stop krakens dead in their tracks by shooting at them. Even a ink brush can use it flick to stop it in it tracks, so if someone on the team knows about the patch, which everybody should now your going have a hard time getting kills unless their a charger, trapped, or your already close by. It should mostly be used as a surprised attack

Plus talking about the melee range, people shouldn't be that close by unless their range anything lower then a splattershot.

Unlike the regular splat roller the krak on doesn't have anything to use when something is outside their range. The regular splat roller has bombs and a killer wail while the krak on has nothing to take outside it's range.

How ever I think beacons can help later down the road when you can make friends rooms as it may become easier to talk to one another.
1. Opinions are different for everyone, -shrug-
2. Serpentine, aka Don't go in a straight line. and stay on the ground until you're close enough, same goes for bursting into it; might as well go at it when they're ballsy and Right in your face. There's always the Defense option, using it just like the Bubbler just instead abuse Swim Speed and get far away or even surprise them.
3. If I'm in Melee Range, outside of Last Resort swings, It'd be because I saw an Oppertunity for my team and jumped them or took them by surprise (ex; jumping from above or being a squid up until the swing and they don't have a Blaster lol)
4. Killer Wail is Great, and I love Suction Bombs, personal preferences, but the Krak-On is about what it does. Outside of having the Special on hand, knowing how to aim/manuver that roller is what will make it better in the long run. and hey, since I detest the beacon so much, I save a good amount of Ink that a Single Suction Bomb takes away. Altough I heavily advocate using the Kraken to get a Reversal or defense play, I've been guilty to turn into Kraken and go right at them, watch them run, and then go the other way doing something else.
5. When there is more adequate ways of team communication, I already have several spots picked out that don't get touched by ink often at all, and I'd be happy to use them. Currently, Beacon and Mine just drive me insane.

Valid points either way, but I stand by my Roller.
Tsunami-Kraken Drops are replay worthy imo. (run away, go up a wall, as they come near, drop off the wall as the Kraken. That Spiral~)

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
To stop the kraken, you need a high fire rate. Also, just because one guy on their team can do that, doesn't mean the other 3 can as well. The nerf really isn't all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom