• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Least Favourite/Most useless skill?

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Hello forum, I want to post another topic that I don't think has been dabbled yet.

What is your least favourite/most useless skill that you find? Personally I'd never use Run Speed, 90% of the time i'm going to be doing anything other than running so I find it redundant. I understand some might find use for it when using heavy splatlings or going over grates on hammerhead bridge, etc but otherwise I don't find much value in it.

Your opinions?

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
My least favorite one is Ink Saver Sub...you barely will notice the difference . (on the other side Ink Recovery Up and Run Speed are pretty useful for me)

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I don't ever touch bomb range up. when i do use my bombs, it rarely needs to travel further than the provided distance. I might give it a try eventually, but so far, haven't had a use. I tried ink saver sub, but it rarely does anything substantial for full-tank subs. even with one or two mains, i still empty almost all of the tank.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Last Ditch Effort.

Seriously I don't really ever see this ability in action even in Turf Wars. You might as well go for another ability at this point.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Last Ditch Effort.

Seriously I don't really ever see this ability in action even in Turf Wars. You might as well go for another ability at this point.
yeah. opening gambit at least gives you, an opening gambit. but 30 seconds before a round ends is usually too late, since the team already made their push at the 1 min mark, and the other'd be losing already.

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
I don't ever touch bomb range up. when i do use my bombs, it rarely needs to travel further than the provided distance. I might give it a try eventually, but so far, haven't had a use. I tried ink saver sub, but it rarely does anything substantial for full-tank subs. even with one or two mains, i still empty almost all of the tank.
On certain maps (Moray Towers as one example), I find bomb range up to be very helpful! Situational yes, but in the right situation works wonders.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Ink Saver Sub, it barely does anything especially compared to Saver Main.
Haunt is pretty bad too, the all too-common CB hard-counters it.

Sol64

Last Ditch Effort.

I wouldn't say this skill is bad, just that there's more skills that are be better than it. (Honestly if this was a full minute, I bet you a lot more people would use it.) Those who haven't got the best of skills would use this however.

Haunt is pretty bad too, the all too-common CB hard-counters it.
This skill is amazing, what are you talking about? A free point sensor on death? Yes please, (especially in a team of randoms who have no clue what they're doing). It makes them wake up a bit. Almost every time I died, the haunted gets splatted.

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
Ink Recovery is made redundant by Ink Saver main and is therefore useless, but it's still not as bad as Last Ditch Effort

Sol64

Ink Recovery is made redundant by Ink Saver main and is therefore useless, but it's still not as bad as Last Ditch Effort
I disagree, when using subs (like splat bombs, burst bombs and sprinklers in mind) you need to refill your tank quickly. Plus a lot of Chargers use this ability.

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
I disagree, when using subs (like splat bombs, burst bombs and sprinklers in mind) you need to refill your tank quickly. Plus a lot of Chargers use this ability.
The reason why I say it's redundant is with full skills (3 mains 9 subs), you only save 0.6 seconds filling up from empty to full. On the other hand, a full Ink Saver main will increase that ink capacity by 60%. If you actually imagine that your ink tank is longer (rather than holding a denser amount of ink), then you would actually see the ink tank fill up much faster due to ink saver main than ink recovery up could ever do.

Ink Recovery saves you a bit of time, but with ink saver main, the same amount of time will get your more ink than if you replaced Ink saver ability with ink recovery ability. Therefore it's redundant since it doesn't get you any more ink or any more time than Ink Saver main replacing it.

Of course the only exception is for if you are using sub weapons significantly more than your main weapons in which case having all of your ink savings go to your main weapon wouldn't still be more efficient than having the marginal increase that ink recovery provides to both your main and sub weapons together.

Last edited:

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Some interesting comments here - I guess it reflects the diversity in weapon choices and playstyles; I couldn't be without run speed up (though I find it only really comes into its own when it's stacked), and have really come to love bomb range up, after initially being pretty dismissive of it.

Useless for me: Ink saver sub, bomb sniffer, and special duration up (though I think the first and last of these could easily be quite useful to different players).

Cyrex

Inkling
NNID
nitr0monkey
Quick Super Jump, I'd rather respawn quicker since you're always safe at spawn. Quick Super Jump won't save you from poorly timed jumps

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Quick super jump is much better for retreating than it is for advancing, and if it's stacked and combined with recon it can be pretty useful.

Sol64

The reason why I say it's redundant is with full skills (3 mains 9 subs), you only save 0.6 seconds filling up from empty to full. On the other hand, a full Ink Saver main will increase that ink capacity by 60%. If you actually imagine that your ink tank is longer (rather than holding a denser amount of ink), then you would actually see the ink tank fill up much faster due to ink saver main than ink recovery up could ever do.

Ink Recovery saves you a bit of time, but with ink saver main, the same amount of time will get your more ink than if you replaced Ink saver ability with ink recovery ability. Therefore it's redundant since it doesn't get you any more ink or any more time than Ink Saver main replacing it.

Of course the only exception is for if you are using sub weapons significantly more than your main weapons in which case having all of your ink savings go to your main weapon wouldn't still be more efficient than having the marginal increase that ink recovery provides to both your main and sub weapons together.
For some reason, that sounds worse than it actually is. Also, it's a 40% fast refill rate and by any means that's not useless. I have a 2/3 pure Ink recovery up headpiece and I can see the obvious difference it holds than going naked. You seem to focus too much on your main tank which says a lot about your playstyle. i don't need to say much at this point.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I don't like Quick Super Jump simply because I don't super jump much. It isn't overall bad, but it is bad with my playstyle.

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
This is key to ink recovery. I can't remember the last time I went from full to empty in a ranked game using only primary weapon. The only time I get close to running out of ink is when subs are used in combat, like splash wall/bombs. You shouldn't be spending that much time in kid form if you don't want to get splat by a charger or other long range weapon. The more time you spend in squid form, the bigger benefit of ink recovery, and it can add up to quite a bit over a 5 minute match.

Syd_Vicious3375

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ShelbyLynn08
I find recon and haunt both a little useless. I'm not going to hunt someone down, and generally when you re-spawn you can see most if not all teams members for a moment anyway. And if you watch the ink patterns you can kind of figure it out even if they don't show up. Bomb sniffer and cold blooded are also on my not really useful list. They just don't seem as important as saving or quick ink refill, special charge up or even stealth jump. If I'm on hammerhead bridge I like run speed up. It can even be useful on camp triggerfish with rainmaker (walking so slowly up those grate ramps is awful). But as mentioned by Chewi, Morey Towers is perfect for bomb range up as I use suction bombs and suction bomb rush.

Syd_Vicious3375

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ShelbyLynn08
Some interesting comments here - I guess it reflects the diversity in weapon choices and playstyles; I couldn't be without run speed up (though I find it only really comes into its own when it's stacked), and have really come to love bomb range up, after initially being pretty dismissive of it.

Useless for me: Ink saver sub, bomb sniffer, and special duration up (though I think the first and last of these could easily be quite useful to different players).
This! I think a sniper might greatly benefit from abilities that track the other team; something that is not important to me. I want tons of ink and to get places discreetly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom