• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Lock the color of your Inkling?

yurrenstein12

Inkling
NNID
yurrenstein12
I have heard that you can keep (lock) the color of the latest match on your Inkling (only possible in the Plaza).

Is this true? Can someone confirm this?

I really want to know, because I want my Inkling in my favorite color :).

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
I want a gold Inkling dangit, let me shine like a hideous statue Nintendo. I've seen people in plaza with different colours, so I assume it's possible to change your colour to whatever you prefer.

yurrenstein12

Inkling
NNID
yurrenstein12
yes it's true(this featured was implemented mostly for those who are colorblind)
Thanks for the info! Now I'm even more hyped for this game :D.

I want a gold Inkling dangit, let me shine like a hideous statue Nintendo. I've seen people in plaza with different colours, so I assume it's possible to change your colour to whatever you prefer.
I think the colors we saw in the trailers are the only colors available. They should implement the gold color into the game for when you achieve the highest rank in multiplayer, then you could show off your looks :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Thanks for the info! Now I'm even more hyped for this game :D.
Little counter-intuitive to use, however.

When you activate the Color Lock, you lock in the combination at whatever it last was--so if you're currently a pink inkling, you'll be locked as pink and will always faces its opposite color (the light blue). It'd be a little better if they gave you the option to pick a specific combination in the menu setting itself, so you didn't have to play while possibly dealing with color-blindness-induced handicaps until you found a combination you could see well.

yurrenstein12

Inkling
NNID
yurrenstein12

When you activate the Color Lock, you lock in the combination at whatever it last was--so if you're currently a pink inkling, you'll be locked as pink and will always faces its opposite color (the light blue). It'd be a little better if they gave you the option to pick a specific combination in the menu setting itself, so you didn't have to play while possibly dealing with color-blindness-induced handicaps until you found a combination you could see well.
Oh, I didn't know it worked like that. So if I understood correctly, you can choose (lock) your favorite color for your Inkling, but you will see that color (and the opposite color of that) in every match? (no other colors?) That's dissappointing :(.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Oh, I didn't know it worked like that. So if I understood correctly, you can choose (lock) your favorite color for your Inkling, but you will see that (and the opposite color of that) only in every match? That's dissappointing :(.
That's how it has to work though. Imagine if you locked yourself into pink, and ended up fighting against another team using orange. The colors are close enough you wouldn't easily be able to tell them apart when they're splattered all across each other. Each color always fights a specific other color--dark blue vs orange, etc.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I believe this is in. I'm pretty sure you can only lock the last color you used, though.

kinetik07

Senior Squid
I'm partially colorblind and pink/aqua is the only combination that's a little hard to see. Still won't use this feature and I haven't heard any other colorblinds saying they need it. Kinda weird how it seems like the non-colorblind people are the ones using it.

yurrenstein12

Inkling
NNID
yurrenstein12
That's how it has to work though. Imagine if you locked yourself into pink, and ended up fighting against another team using orange. The colors are close enough you wouldn't easily be able to tell them apart when they're splattered all across each other. Each color always fights a specific other color--dark blue vs orange, etc.
Yeah, good point there.

Well, there's only one way to find out the color-lock feature is any good and that it to play the game myself, of course.

Luckily, I can play the game 1 day earlier, so I will see it all tomorrow already! :D

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I thought the colors were randomly chosen every new match. It's good to know I can lock my squid in my favorite color.
We all get the game at the same time, don't we?
No. Some people already have the game. Unless you mean the digital release, then I think so (except for Australia maybe?)

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I thought the colors were randomly chosen every new match. It's good to know I can lock my squid in my favorite color.

No. Some people already have the game. Unless you mean the digital release, then I think so (except for Australia maybe?)
Yeah, that makes sense. For a second there my brain thought physical copies weren't a thing.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord

In single player you also get a specific color per level (And also some more unique colors then what you typically see in online turf battles) so after that level you can go back to the plaza and lock your inkling to that color. I am really thankful they thought about those of us who are colorblind, though most of the color pairings are easy to differentiate between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom