• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Looking For A Sub Weapon/2nd Main

Asiate

Inkling
Hi folks,

since I am on this forum for almost two weeks and I own the game for a week, I thought about posting something to interact with the community. On the other hand, I need some advice at some point.

Well, I really like to use those midrange weapons which are very flexible in use and have a decent killing potential. Supported by bombs (everything but the Seeker...) and the Bomb Rush, which also can be used in various ways, I play at best when I can adapt my role to the current game szenario. The first weapon that replaced my Splattershot Jr. was the Splattershot itself. A few hours later, I unlocked the Splat-o-matic and I really felt comfortable using it. Since then, I didn't play any other weapon that often.

But talking about comfort, I also see some issues with this weapon. The most obvious thing is its range. I know that I probably have to learn to play more safely, but I realized that I lose a 1v1 situation lot too often not because of missing damage output or bad targeting skills, but comming out on the short end due to my short shooting range.

The other thing is the special attack. While being kinda handy, Bomb Rush doesn't seem to be that effective in RM and TC. I also want to try the Inkstrike, since that one looks playable in both modes at first glance. However, in Domination I'd always bring Bomb Rush.

The only outshining thing of this set are the Suction Bombs that can be used to color the ground, trap opponents, secure the tower or to save the back side while entering the foes territory. I definitly wouldn't like to miss that out.

Now getting to my question of this thread: What for a weapon would you want me to try out online? I am beyond LV20, so I can buy like every weapon available. But regarding my preferences, what would you try out? I went first for both Luna Blasters, but they don't solve my range problem, while being very destructive (I like that too lol). Chargers require skills if you want to use them properly, so these just fell of right from the beginning (I never get used to sniping, poorly). N-ZAP '85 was one outstanding weapon I just bought yesterday and will be tested tonight.

Thanks for any help. I can't wait to discuss with you. :^)

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I'm a Splash-O-Matic fan myself, so I'm in a similar boat, but my first suggestion would be to take a step back and say: don't pigeonhole yourself so much,

Each mode + map combination lends itself to different strategies, so picking only one or two weapons and sticking with those come hell or high water isn't the best idea. As you saw, Suction Bomb Rush can be ineffective in Rainmaker and Tower Control, but not always (it's pretty effective on Flounder Heights, for instance). Seekers are really limited in many maps, but tremendous in others (Port Mackerel Rainmaker comes to mind).

I'd say to practice with several weapons, get to know their strengths and weaknesses, and pull out the best one for the situation.

That said, for base weapons, the Tentatek and Wasabi Splattershots are excellent choices in most situations. You may like the .52's a lot, too--similar range, quick kills, and the subs, while situationally useful, are very useful when they are. The N-ZAP '85 is my least favorite of the three; the '89 is great in Splat Zones and OK in Tower Control, while the '82 is useful all around. You can also try out the Squelcher line, but the specific one to use is very map-dependent. All three Splattershot Pros devour ink like crazy, but if you can manage that, they're well worth mastering.

Alex A

Inkling
It's always nice to see some fellow Splash-o-matics. Personally, I went to the Neo Sploosh after learning the Splash. Since the Splash has low damage output I learned to be very sneaky when approaching people. More or less knowing that play style, I started using the Neo Sploosh since I wanted a Kraken. Boy does this weapon do work in Rainmaker.

However, do learn to be sneakier with the Splash. When you go to ambush people it'll take a few shots (all dependent on gear) to kill, so you'll really need it. When using Bomb Rush, it's critical to remember you can still shoot. I've seen so many Splashes that forget this and I splat them quite easily. Chuck bombs like crazy, but if someone approaches you do not be afraid to back up and shoot at them. It's better to back up and shoot, while throwing a few bombs, than to use everything and get splatted.

Since you like Bomb Rush, I'd suggest Berry Splattershot Pro. It has more damage out put than the Splash, plus it has some nice range. The only downside is the diminished firing rate, but the pros make up for it. You won't have to get up in the enemy's face, while you can still pressure them. Even better, this weapon can even turn into a two shot kill (all dependent on gear). While your Bomb Rushes may not fill as quickly since you'll most likely playing it safer, you'll still be able to use a few. I'd definitely recommend this weapon for RM and TC, but Splat Zones is up to you.

Agreeing with MindWanderer, using the Splash for everything isn't the best idea. It isn't the best on some maps for certain modes. I used it for everything and it brought me from C- to A, so I guess I just adapted, but you'll face trouble. I'd stick with this weapon for SZ, since Bomb Rush can easily turn the tide and win the game. Maps like Museum and Urchin are where this weapon can really shine, since there's one big zone which is painted quickly. If you're winning don't be afraid to use it to pressure the enemy further away. At the same time, conserve them.

If you want to try out Instrike, stick to SZ. Inkstrikes will pop the Rainmaker and take control of the Tower, but it's very situational. Like MindWanderer suggested, try the Wasabi. The Inkstrikes can really help in this mode, plus you'll get practice with the Splattershot line. The N-Zap 89 is also a great weapon to use, since it is well rounded and charges up Inkstrikes very quickly. Sprinklers also help a ton in painting a zone. The only downside is the spread of the gun, which is good for inking but bad for kills. I'd hesitate to use the 85, but Echolocator is a great support special for tagging foes. Keep in mind, if you use Instrikes, it isn't about getting the middle. As a rule of thumb, for maps with one big zone, ink the enemies side, so that your team can get yours without too much risk. Obviously you should tweak this in maps like Museum and Saltspray, which feature obstacles and are wide. If there's two zones, go for the one in danger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom