• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Looking for some leadership advice

Smychavo

Full Squid
NNID
llantonino
Sparing most of the details, my team has been largely inactive for the past few months, as have I. Additionaly, past plans to do practices and scrims have always fallen through due to said inactivity, due in part of my inactivity. Now that I want to get back into the swing of things, I would like some advice on leading a team and getting it back into working order.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Be active. Specifically, be consistent. Set times, if just for yourself, to be around when you can play the game and interact with your group. Things can fall apart if the leader's inconsistent, which I imagine you already have experience with.

If you're the leader, you gotta put in more effort than everyone else. I can't speak for your group in particular, but generally speaking a lot of online game team members have to be consistently engaged by their leader or each other, otherwise they wander off and poke at something else.

J. Inkling

Inkling
NNID
OneGameNoLife
You may have to make the hard decision to kick one or more players from the team. This can be tough if they are also friends. People tend to take that kind of thing personally. Heavy is the head that wears the crown...

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You may have to make the hard decision to kick one or more players from the team. This can be tough if they are also friends. People tend to take that kind of thing personally. Heavy is the head that wears the crown...
Eeeeeh be careful with that. I would not just boot a bud if he "wasn't dedicated enough"

If I were a squad leader and was contemplating bringing in a more dedicated squid if an existing member wasn't serious enough for the team's end goals, I'd first ask said squid about his personal splatoon goals and what he/she wants to get out of the squad: these could be anything from being the best squid in the world or just playing well with friends). If their personal goals are less serious than the team's goals, tell them this plainly but politely, then go from there.

In this hypothetical senario(please don't immediately jump to booting squids) you would ideally send the message that you or you and the rest of the squad want to win big tournaments, and ask that he/she step up their game and be present at more practices/scrimms or go on haitus, aka out of the group but the door to re-join anytime is wide open. And even though it might seem obvious, if said squid is a friend, just remember to still hangout, keep in touch and whatnot.

Getting rejected sucks serious splat bombs 'yo.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
As one of the founders of a squad that has certainly had its ups and downs, I'd like to attest to the power of consistency and communication, as mentioned above. To me, finding a group of decent people who you can enjoy the game with is far more important than making a rigid system designed not only to win, but to piss people off.

You need a good balance of the two. In the end, you're a group that wants to compete, but you all have to deal with each other and respect each other and be open about things while competing.

So straddle that line of friend and faux-authority figure (because really, how much authority do you have as a Splatoon squad leader unless you're sponsored and highly competitive? lol) and you should be fine.

J. Inkling

Inkling
NNID
OneGameNoLife
As one of the founders of a squad that has certainly had its ups and downs, I'd like to attest to the power of consistency and communication, as mentioned above. To me, finding a group of decent people who you can enjoy the game with is far more important than making a rigid system designed not only to win, but to piss people off.

You need a good balance of the two. In the end, you're a group that wants to compete, but you all have to deal with each other and respect each other and be open about things while competing.

So straddle that line of friend and faux-authority figure (because really, how much authority do you have as a Splatoon squad leader unless you're sponsored and highly competitive? lol) and you should be fine.
This is a really good answer.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I'll just spill some of my personal experiences of being with my old clan leader.
A couple months ago, my clan leader left Splatoon, for Minecraft and played it for 2 weeks straight, no splatoon for him, he just played Minecraft for those two weeks, so being frustrated I left the clan, and tried starting a new one with my friend at the time. We got pretty good, we had a full 4 man squad and looking good with our team comp, Me on Snipe, My friend with his Vanilla Pro, one guy with the krak-on splat, and another with a slosher.

Then my previous leader came back, he was sorry that he left, he wrote me an apology, and revamped the team, giving us ranks and stuff, and making it overall more organized. So I joined back because my clan was becoming inactive, and I've been close with them ever since, it took a couple of new teammates, some time, and some failures here and there, but we turned out all right.

So it might not even take anybody to kick, I've been on the other side of the spectrum, I was just a frustrated guy wanting to play, and I found a good clan.

Basically stay active, Recruit some squids that show promise, and you'll soar.

Hope this helped. :)

TakeASicky

Inkling
NNID
Lillyfield18
I'm not going to repeat the great advice Aristeria gave, instead I'll give you a different tip.

I've not been the true leader of a clan, but I have a lot of experience being the support and helping everyone, including leaders. What I mean is, my leaders often talked a lot about tough issues or sometimes just to feel better and get things off their chest. Don't forget that we aren't just squids, we're kids (people) too with people problems.

My advice is to find at least 1 or 2 other people who you can trust and see eye to eye on most things Splatoon with, then rely on them for support and help when you need it. Not needy people, not chatty people, just people who care and you can trust. If you have that nucleus, your team will be much stronger. Never try and be one guy helping 3+ other people, it has never worked in the past (for reference, Paradise who had Dude disbanded, Walky who lead NSTC disbanded etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom