• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Looking for tips from a high rank L-3 Nozzlenose main.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I am not a Nozzlenose main myself, but ocassionally I run into a few S or S+ players who use them. I cannot really say how to play them, since I usually take them out, but I know what gear they use when they do get kills on me.

They usually use Run Speed Up. I never see Bomb Range Up, but if you are excellent at aiming the Disruptor, I highly recommend stacking that too. I would also recommend Ink Resistance Up if you are often shooting within enemy turf.

As a Krak-On Roller main, I often get very close enough to OHKO most Nozzlenoses. A few pointers to not get killed by us rollers is to stay on elevated platforms and simply shoot at our turf. Rollers have a huge issue when they cannot move around to get close to you, so if you cover our turf, we will be easy targets. We either have to expose ourselves to cover back the turf, use the Kraken, or risk charging you in a 1v1, which is where you will likely win.

If I had to guess how to play the Nozzlenose, space yourself well and use the Disruptor very often, especially against Gals or Dynamos. If you got enough Bomb Range Up, you can even counter E-Liters, which is a huge advantage for your team. Shoot anyone who got hit, avoid being on the ground, especially if it is heavily contested, or if it is enemy turf.

crunchgames

Inkling Cadet
NNID
crunchgames
@Nihabz.

Do not use the nozzlenose, do not use the nozzlenose! DO NOT USE THE NOZZLENOSE! ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK I STARTED THIS ****ING TOPIC FOR? SO I CAN LEARN STRATS WITH IT AND SWITCH TO THE 96 GAL DECO NO SKILL? Why are you here? I mean you don't play Splatoon from the looks of i... Oh wait never mind, I forgot this was the internet. Gotta remember to not feed the trolls.

crunchgames

Inkling Cadet
NNID
crunchgames
I am not a Nozzlenose main myself, but ocassionally I run into a few S or S+ players who use them. I cannot really say how to play them, since I usually take them out, but I know what gear they use when they do get kills on me.

They usually use Run Speed Up. I never see Bomb Range Up, but if you are excellent at aiming the Disruptor, I highly recommend stacking that too. I would also recommend Ink Resistance Up if you are often shooting within enemy turf.

As a Krak-On Roller main, I often get very close enough to OHKO most Nozzlenoses. A few pointers to not get killed by us rollers is to stay on elevated platforms and simply shoot at our turf. Rollers have a huge issue when they cannot move around to get close to you, so if you cover our turf, we will be easy targets. We either have to expose ourselves to cover back the turf, use the Kraken, or risk charging you in a 1v1, which is where you will likely win.

If I had to guess how to play the Nozzlenose, space yourself well and use the Disruptor very often, especially against Gals or Dynamos. If you got enough Bomb Range Up, you can even counter E-Liters, which is a huge advantage for your team. Shoot anyone who got hit, avoid being on the ground, especially if it is heavily contested, or if it is enemy turf.
Ah, thanks for your contribution. I do run a bomb range up to try and space myself between the enemy and me and outrange them.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I havnt played the l-3 in awhile but it is the weapon that i got from B- to S in a month.

If your using the vanilla one, you should be using diruptirs alot. I didnt luke using vanilla in splatzones as your close combbat is limited.

For Dolphin version, get good with aiming burst bombs for bomb+bullet combos. Might want to play wround with sime damage up.

In general know your range as it can outrange quite a few weapins. Use flat areas to dodge quickly to your advantage. Also learn how to use grates on maps like kelp if ur running run speed.

Abilities....run speed then it depends on you.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
@Nihabz.

Do not use the nozzlenose, do not use the nozzlenose! DO NOT USE THE NOZZLENOSE! ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK I STARTED THIS ****ING TOPIC FOR? SO I CAN LEARN STRATS WITH IT AND SWITCH TO THE 96 GAL DECO NO SKILL? Why are you here? I mean you don't play Splatoon from the looks of i... Oh wait never mind, I forgot this was the internet. Gotta remember to not feed the trolls.
Well if you insist on running a lesser weapon I guess I could provide you with what I feel is an ideal build for it
:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:main
:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:sub

Running 6 damage ups will max out its damage output as it is already very weak as it is. Swim speed will give you better mobility and allow you to get closer to people quicker to help compensate for the average range to either gain a higher chance of forcing a trade or getting in those last couple shots you need to kill them off.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
There is absolutly no reason to run that much damage up. The weapon with no dmg up will almost ALWAYS kill in 4 bullets no matter the distance or def the enemy has.

In regards to burst bombs, you dont need that much to reach the D best time to kill combo, and there is no reason to use excess abiltiies that only has a small effect on the sub.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
There is absolutly no reason to run that much damage up. The weapon with no dmg up will almost ALWAYS kill in 4 bullets no matter the distance or def the enemy has.

In regards to burst bombs, you dont need that much to reach the D best time to kill combo, and there is no reason to use excess abiltiies that only has a small effect on the sub.
A 4 shot weapon is terrible in comparison to gals and tentatek which are 2 and 3 shot respectively. You also have to take into account that many players using guns will run defense up so its important for a weaker weapon like nozzlenose to have the highest possible chances to be able to kill them before they kill you due to this weapons terrible damage output

Sketchtastrophe

Inkling
NNID
Sketchtastrophe
I used to use the L-3 Nozzlenose D a lot before I fell in love with the Squiffer. Personally I only ran one Damage Up main and a sub or two. You really don't need that much. Run Speed, Special Charge Up, Swim Speed and depending on the map/mode maybe some Bomb Range and or Ink Saver (Sub) were most useful to me. Like someone else mentioned, just make sure you keep a good amount of your own ink around you. Try to get used to combo k/o-ing opponents with your main gun and Burst Bombs. And if they get too close take 'em out with the Kraken. Aim is pretty important with this weapon as it's accuracy can be very touchy as you're running. Good aim and good area awareness are what makes a great Nozzlenose player as far as I'm concerned :)

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
A 4 shot weapon is terrible in comparison to gals and tentatek which are 2 and 3 shot respectively. You also have to take into account that many players using guns will run defense up so its important for a weaker weapon like nozzlenose to have the highest possible chances to be able to kill them before they kill you due to this weapons terrible damage output
The weapon has an acceptable ttkand was nit the topic of my post. and again def doenst change the hits required to kill. If your running the vanilla version you shouldnt be running any dmg up. And if your running D your only running damage up to facilate your bullet+bomb combo. Def doesnt even affect the bullet+bomb combo that much. All you have to do is go in the training room to get the answers.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
Well I'm running a damage up main and three damage ups to get splash damage and run speed for strafing. Is swim speed that required?
This is mainly coming from a roller perspective but I have always found run speed up to be useless imo. Running is absolute garbage in this game because swimming is just that much better at everything from movement and approaching. Having swim speed up helps maximize that. If your worried about not being able to strafe, just learn better positioning.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Ignoring the trolls and arguing:

Vanilla L-3 benefits from being mobile. Run and Swim Speed Up are always good. Ink Resistance is a must. Bomb Range is good for tagging people with Disruptors which further enhance your own mobility. Ink Saver Main isn't really needed, because the L-3 has ridiculous ink efficiency, you can fire it for days.

Play the L-3 as a scout. Get to mid first, constantly move around, harass and flank. Never stop moving, ever. It's really effective at running circles around slower shooters.

crunchgames

Inkling Cadet
NNID
crunchgames
Ignoring the trolls and arguing:

Vanilla L-3 benefits from being mobile. Run and Swim Speed Up are always good. Ink Resistance is a must. Bomb Range is good for tagging people with Disruptors which further enhance your own mobility. Ink Saver Main isn't really needed, because the L-3 has ridiculous ink efficiency, you can fire it for days.

Play the L-3 as a scout. Get to mid first, constantly move around, harass and flank. Never stop moving, ever. It's really effective at running circles around slower shooters.
Ahh, thanks for your tips. I admired your use of the word "scout" as he's my favourite character in tf2 (don't actually have the game but he looks aweaome)

Heisenberg

Inkling
NNID
JaimeRussels
Take advantage of your strafing speed while at max range since you don't lose any accuracy. And keep in mind that the L-3 out ranges everything from the dynamo roller and below. Which includes weapons like the tentatek and .52.

Bomb range and run speed are essential imo to have an easier time in dealing with weapons that out range you.

Jocarifeta

Inkling
NNID
diazproduction
First of all, don't listen to those who say you not to use the L-3 Nozzlenose, it's an amazing weapon with very high accuracy, good turf coverage, very mobile and with decent range. I main the L-3 D and thanks to it I got to S+

For me, there are two things that are key for Nozzlenose's users: Good aim and rhythm. Specially rhythm. You have to get used to the timing in which you'll need to press the trigger button, because smashing it will make you more harm than good, after you learn it, you'll notice how damn good the fire rate of the Nozzlenose is.

Also, as have been already stated above, do not remain still. The "gimmick" of needing to press ZR every time you have to fire is one of the things that makes this weapon so mobile and versatile, because between each fire burst you'll be running at normal speed, which will make you "fly" through the maps while you are firing, specially if your gear has Run Speed Up (which I totally recommend for Nozzlenose users).

Another thing that makes great this weapon is its ability to cover turf, and in my opinion it's one of the best in the game for doing that (it's really, really easy to get more than 1000 points on Turf War- before the winning bonus) and, because of that, it is a great weapon for pressuring opponents and claiming areas (it really shines in Splat Zones!)

About the gear, the only ability that I can say is a must is Run Speed Up, I also use Damage Up because of the Burst Bombs and Special Charging Up so that I can have a kraken ready at almost all times.

I hope I'd been useful and really encourage you to start using this incredible weapon :)

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Well I'm an L-3 main. Only A rank right now which isn't really high rank at all but idk maybe i can help a bit since not many people here seem to actually currently main it...

The first and most important step: Cry a lot.

Second step: Curse nintendo for giving you certain almost unwinnable matchups against popular weapons (looking at you splattershots, .96 gal and jet squelchers).

But in all seriousness I would agree with the movement aspect. Movement is one of the L-3's few strengths. That said you can't just get ability up on your movement stuff and expect to have good movement. You have to be aware of every little bit of your team's ink that you can swim in. Learn to splat dash obviously. Don't be afraid to use walls as a last resort. But also know what your opponent's movement is going to be. Just having good movement doesn't really help that much. It only really help when you can use it to get to an advantageous position before your opponent can get to you.
But perhaps most important of all is what was said above about keeping moving. Well to an extent. It's not as though you can never stand or sit still. There are a few occasions where that may be a good idea for a read, but in general it pt syou at a disadvantage. Basically because you're a seem automatic the "pop up and kill" tactic is a lot less viable for you. It causes you to have a mediocre ttk and it also means that you run the risk of your opponent just holding down trigger and stumbling upon you and killing you. This combined with the fact that you don't have to be much more precise with your shots than the majority of other weapons and yhis essentially means that up close assassination like that is risky business. Your bettr option is in your mediocre range instead.
This is why is said the matchups are bad btw. Something like a splattershot has a faster ttk than you, out-ranges you and has to be less precise with their shots. And they only have slightly worse movement.
Which brings me to the net points.
1. Run.
2. Disrupt everything.

So basically, you should know there are certain weapons that you can't beat in a straight up firefight once you're both aware of each other and in an open area (or if you're in a disadvantageous position obviously). When that happens your best option is honestly to just back off. Either find a spot where you have some sort of advantage or just move on to another objective if it won't leave your team at too much if a disadvantage (ex:say this guy is trying to spawn camp, but your're the only one at spawn. Just move on and go join your team. He's not worth the effort). Use that good movemet to get yourself outta trouble.
Your other option is to disrupt. The disruptor is the L-3's saviour. On the seventh day, God rested. On the eigth he realized he'd forgotten to help out the L-3's and so he created the disruptor.
The disruptor can at least help to solve a lot of the L-3's issues. If you disrupt an opponent your good movemnt becomes even better (in comparson) since your opponent is essentially stuck in one spot while you can move wherever you please. You also don't have to worr about reading them. You know where they're going to be. Right where you disrupted their sorry butt. This also makes approaching the weapons that you should mainly run from more viable. It also allows you to do the close up assassination style thing. It also makes fighting multiple opponents possible, which isn't a thing you can really do easily without it. It also allows you to popup and kill possib- ok basically hopefully you see what i'm getting at here. Using the disruptor makes your life easier.
But wait! That's not all! If you use your disruptor on an area you may even slightly suspect an opponent might be before you move there, you could get one two, maybe even three kills! (just pay separate shipping and handling) One of the best things about disruptor is that it also makes your opponent visible at all times. So if you're about to go up that hallway ramp on walleye and you think someone might be up top you just quickly disrupt up there. If they're there then not only are you immediately aware of it, but you also instantly have the advantage .
Okay tldr just disrupt everything you can. That way you can't be taken by surprise and you have better chances of living. So yeah bomb range up is good and actually i think sub ink saver is good as well so you can throw two disruptors and still have enough ink to actually get the kill.

Oh and a bonus about disruptor is it also makes a great support ssub! Even if you can't kill someone you disrupt,often another teammate can! Also great for slowing the rainmaker down btw.

Anyway actual tldr:
You have bad matchups. Know them and and disrupt and/r run when you're 1v1'ing them.
Get kills at max range you can up close assassination probably won't go well. Unless disruptor.
work on movement.
Curse your mediocre range.
Curse the preciseness.
Curse aim assist.
Cry.
Cry more.
Practice.
Get better.
Cry less.
Get good.

At least i hope.

Sheesh i really need to learn to be more succinct.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Well I'm an L-3 main. Only A rank right now which isn't really high rank at all but idk maybe i can help a bit since not many people here seem to actually currently main it...

The first and most important step: Cry a lot.

Second step: Curse nintendo for giving you certain almost unwinnable matchups against popular weapons (looking at you splattershots, .96 gal and jet squelchers).

But in all seriousness I would agree with the movement aspect. Movement is one of the L-3's few strengths. That said you can't just get ability up on your movement stuff and expect to have good movement. You have to be aware of every little bit of your team's ink that you can swim in. Learn to splat dash obviously. Don't be afraid to use walls as a last resort. But also know what your opponent's movement is going to be. Just having good movement doesn't really help that much. It only really help when you can use it to get to an advantageous position before your opponent can get to you.
But perhaps most important of all is what was said above about keeping moving. Well to an extent. It's not as though you can never stand or sit still. There are a few occasions where that may be a good idea for a read, but in general it pt syou at a disadvantage. Basically because you're a seem automatic the "pop up and kill" tactic is a lot less viable for you. It causes you to have a mediocre ttk and it also means that you run the risk of your opponent just holding down trigger and stumbling upon you and killing you. This combined with the fact that you don't have to be much more precise with your shots than the majority of other weapons and yhis essentially means that up close assassination like that is risky business. Your bettr option is in your mediocre range instead.
This is why is said the matchups are bad btw. Something like a splattershot has a faster ttk than you, out-ranges you and has to be less precise with their shots. And they only have slightly worse movement.
Which brings me to the net points.
1. Run.
2. Disrupt everything.

So basically, you should know there are certain weapons that you can't beat in a straight up firefight once you're both aware of each other and in an open area (or if you're in a disadvantageous position obviously). When that happens your best option is honestly to just back off. Either find a spot where you have some sort of advantage or just move on to another objective if it won't leave your team at too much if a disadvantage (ex:say this guy is trying to spawn camp, but your're the only one at spawn. Just move on and go join your team. He's not worth the effort). Use that good movemet to get yourself outta trouble.
Your other option is to disrupt. The disruptor is the L-3's saviour. On the seventh day, God rested. On the eigth he realized he'd forgotten to help out the L-3's and so he created the disruptor.
The disruptor can at least help to solve a lot of the L-3's issues. If you disrupt an opponent your good movemnt becomes even better (in comparson) since your opponent is essentially stuck in one spot while you can move wherever you please. You also don't have to worr about reading them. You know where they're going to be. Right where you disrupted their sorry butt. This also makes approaching the weapons that you should mainly run from more viable. It also allows you to do the close up assassination style thing. It also makes fighting multiple opponents possible, which isn't a thing you can really do easily without it. It also allows you to popup and kill possib- ok basically hopefully you see what i'm getting at here. Using the disruptor makes your life easier.
But wait! That's not all! If you use your disruptor on an area you may even slightly suspect an opponent might be before you move there, you could get one two, maybe even three kills! (just pay separate shipping and handling) One of the best things about disruptor is that it also makes your opponent visible at all times. So if you're about to go up that hallway ramp on walleye and you think someone might be up top you just quickly disrupt up there. If they're there then not only are you immediately aware of it, but you also instantly have the advantage .
Okay tldr just disrupt everything you can. That way you can't be taken by surprise and you have better chances of living. So yeah bomb range up is good and actually i think sub ink saver is good as well so you can throw two disruptors and still have enough ink to actually get the kill.

Oh and a bonus about disruptor is it also makes a great support ssub! Even if you can't kill someone you disrupt,often another teammate can! Also great for slowing the rainmaker down btw.

Anyway actual tldr:
You have bad matchups. Know them and and disrupt and/r run when you're 1v1'ing them.
Get kills at max range you can up close assassination probably won't go well. Unless disruptor.
work on movement.
Curse your mediocre range.
Curse the preciseness.
Curse aim assist.
Cry.
Cry more.
Practice.
Get better.
Cry less.
Get good.

At least i hope.

Sheesh i really need to learn to be more succinct.

The L-3 outranges Splattershots. The L-3 actually has really great range. I have outranged and splatted many a Tentatek. Even the wiki(s) say that they outrange the Splattershots

I think this post is far too pessimistic and filled with misconceptions, really, though you're right about Disruptors.

EDIT: You outrange the .52 Gal, too.

Last edited:

WydrA

Inkling Commander
The L-3 outranges Splattershots. The L-3 actually has really great range. I have outranged and splatted many a Tentatek. Even the wiki(s) say that they outrange the Splattershots

I think this post is far too pessimistic and filled with misconceptions, really, though you're right about Disruptors.

EDIT: You outrange the .52 Gal, too.
My b. Meant the splattershot pro.
And i also said .96 gal, not the .52 lol.
And maybe it is pessimistic, but in my experience the range really isn't as great as people say. Pretty mediocre imo. Especially when combined with the ttk/semi automatic thing. And the preciseness.
Anway i'm not saying the weapon is bad or anything. Just kinda saying that it's hard to main.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom