• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Looking Fresh vs. Abilities

Which do you prefer?

• Looking Fresh!!

• Having Abilities!!

• Both!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
both. i wear the abilities i need/want, but on gear i think looks nice. i only reroll on gear i wear regularly/really enjoy, so that's where my best abilities are, very much on purpose <:3

⭐️Zapfish⭐️

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meggiemooshoo
Hey, I added an update so now you can choose 'Both' as an option. :) Hope you're enjoying this thread!!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Battles aren't won with fashion.
Mine are. (most of the time) =p

Sure, some of my outfits have the abilities I want for a particular playstyle. But If there's an outfit I'm not feeling at the moment, I'll switch out an article or two and make use of whatever abilities I'm given during the match. Wind up using so many different abilities I would normally just ignore, like Opening Gambit, Recon, and Haunt to name a few.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Abilities come first, unfortunately.

But I love it when I can rearrange the gear to get a good look. It helps to buy a buttload of gear to have plenty of mains to choose from.

⭐️Zapfish⭐️

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meggiemooshoo
Mine are. (most of the time) =p

Sure, some of my outfits have the abilities I want for a particular playstyle. But If there's an outfit I'm not feeling at the moment, I'll switch out an article or two and make use of whatever abilities I'm given during the match. Wind up using so many different abilities I would normally just ignore, like Opening Gambit, Recon, and Haunt to name a few.
For me too!!! *high-fives*

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I'd make some kind of argument about how enjoying the way you look improves morale and thus performance, but... Let's not.

For me it ultimately comes down to perks helping you out, but the way I roll my gear is to start with pieces that looks good AND has a main ability that I use frequently, then reroll the subs until I wind up with at least 2x of something else useful, regardless of brand preference. That's how I got the following beauties without using too many snails:

:head_amb000::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed:
:head_eye004::ability_tenacity:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:head_hdp000::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_inksavermain:
:head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:head_msn000::ability_runspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:clothes_jkt003::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tes001::ability_runspeed:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_runspeed:
Armour Jacket:ability_specialcharge:|:ability_runspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_runspeed:
:clothes_tly005::ability_runspeed:|:ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_sht004::ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi006::ability_runspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_defenseup:
:shoes_msn001::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

Brand triples are overrated. You can also tell which are splatling clothes.

CM86

Pro Squid
In my opinion, I believe it is easily possible to do both (assuming you are okay with save scumming) and here is why. For a concrete example, take the snorkel mask. You like it for the damage up main and its looks, but you do not like how its 5 times likely to get special duration up. Well, then just reroll it until it is a combination of abilities that you want. The 5 times likely special duration up does not dictate that it has to have special duration up. Now if you are obsessive and want all the sub slots to be the same, then I can't help you there. Another con is it could happen that an ability you want is half as likely on that particular piece of gear. And finally, the main ability may not suit your play style. It seems like there a more cons then pros here, but at least you are giving yourself a better chance of wearing gear that you like while also obtaining the abilities you desire too. When splatoon launched I thought the fish fry visor was dope, but did not like its ink saver sub 5x likely ordeal. Nowadays I have a fish fry visor with two special charge ups and a special saver which is fantastic.

Also, abilities are not nearly as important as your skill, which is why I sometimes just wear what I think looks good, but still dominate at times. So get out there and put what you like on, but if your are overly concerned with your abilities then just reroll. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom