• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Main Weapon Ideas Thread?

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
So, ideas for new weapons: we all know you have 'em. Might as well make a thread for sharing your thoughts. Came up with these two a little bit ago myself:

Mortar Eel/Ink Mortar
Charger Type Weapon
Range: Very High (Under E-liter 3K)
Charge Speed: Low (Similar to E-liter 3K)
Mobility: Almost None
Sub: Sprinkler
Special: Echolocator
Notes: Fires explosive projectile with an arced (with bubble at end) line of sight rather than straight. Blaster-like explosion occurs against world/end point, can deal lethal damage even at low charge.

Spongebath/Batter Brush
Roller Type Weapon
Range: High-Medium (A little above Splat Roller)
Ink Speed: Low-Medium (A little under Splat Roller)
Handling: High??
Sub: Burst Bomb/Splash Wall?
Special: Killer Wail
Notes: Covers AoE around wearer while held down. Rapidly hitting ZR causes wearer to shake vigorously, splatting ahead in a cone and slightly behind them.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I just want a Super Scope weapon.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
A charger with blaster projectiles would probably break the game ... big time :D

I would actually like to see some different seconday and special weapons. There are really not many of them in the game.
As a secondary there could be bombs/mines which when you connect them to a triangle they blow up everything within it. Once someone shoots one of them, they get destroyed (to make them not overpowered). Would be great to set up huge traps in the center or in splat zones once you have control.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So, ideas for new weapons: we all know you have 'em. Might as well make a thread for sharing your thoughts. Came up with these two a little bit ago myself:

Mortar Eel/Ink Mortar
Charger Type Weapon
Range: Very High (Under E-liter 3K)
Charge Speed: Low (Similar to E-liter 3K)
Mobility: Almost None
Sub: Sprinkler
Special: Echolocator
Notes: Fires explosive projectile with an arced (with bubble at end) line of sight rather than straight. Blaster-like explosion occurs against world/end point, can deal lethal damage even at low charge.
Ah, that would be kinda weird, but definitely interesting. I like it.

Spongebath/Batter Brush
Roller Type Weapon
Range: High-Medium (A little above Splat Roller)
Ink Speed: Low-Medium (A little under Splat Roller)
Handling: High??
Sub: Burst Bomb/Splash Wall?
Special: Killer Wail
Notes: Covers AoE around wearer while held down. Rapidly hitting ZR causes wearer to shake vigorously, splatting ahead in a cone and slightly behind them.
That seems interesting too. Not up my alley (I prefer shooters), but deinitely sounds like a nice weapon.

I just want a Super Scope weapon.
Me too, I'd love that. Maybe as a Charger (y'know, because Scope).

A charger with blaster projectiles would probably break the game ... big time :D
Maybe not, if the splash damage was weak enough (maybe just enough to be a 2-shot splat, 3 with Defense Ups). Or maybe it would still be broken. I dunno.

I would actually like to see some different seconday and special weapons. There are really not many of them in the game.
This would be good too.

As a secondary there could be bombs/mines which when you connect them to a triangle they blow up everything within it. Once someone shoots one of them, they get destroyed (to make them not overpowered). Would be great to set up huge traps in the center or in splat zones once you have control.
Ooh, that sounds nice (a pain for me though, I'd walk into those all the time). Would you have to set them separately, or would they all come out at once?
Also, here's an idea; some sort of sentry that you can drop that'll automatically shoot at enemies (like a Sprinkler that doesn't ink territory, just enemies). Maybe it'd have to take most of your ink to drop one, you could only have one at a time, it wouldn't shoot that quickly, it might take a few hits to splat (3 is the one I'd go for, but I could see 4, maybe 2 if it fires really slowly), and it'd go away on its own after a while (or if you get splatted), or if you destroy it (like a Sprinkler or Squid Beakon), but I think it could be something.
Also, a Point Sensor that stays in place in an area for a while and lets your team know if enemies go into its zone (but wouldn't show them anymore if they exit the area). I think it'd be kinda useful (like a localized Echolocator).
Perhaps a Special where you throw a giant Splat/Burst/Suction Bomb/Seeker (with increased damage, of course). Dunno how effective that would be (might not work well in corridors or near walls), but it could spread ink really quickly (and for Splat and Suction Bombs, be a very good incentive to vacate an area).

As for new weapons, perhaps get something for the rest of the brands that don't have their own weapon yet. Also a longer-range Blaster (with Rapid Blaster damage, but with Jet Squelcher-y range, maybe a bit more/less). Or just about anything with Squid Beakon (WHY is that only on one weapon?).
And maybe we could get a gun like the one the Octolings use (preferably with Splat Bombs/Inkstrike as its loadout, but that's just personal preference).
Also, change the Hero Shot/Charger/Roller Replica's loadouts to make them more unique. Maybe HSR/Seeker/Inkzooka, HCR/Splat Bomb/Bomb Rush, HRR/Burst Bomb/Bubbler.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Would you have to set them separately, or would they all come out at once?
Separately if it was a secondary weapon, maybe one mine for 50% of the ink tank, so it costs 1,5 ink tanks to complete one set. All at once if it was a special of course.

noahk777

Senior Squid
NNID
noahgk
The Spray Paint Can:

Its technicly a ranged weapon as it shoots ink, but the range is so low it may as well be Melee. The Inkling is very fast with it so you can cover a lot of ground quickly by running around with it. It shoots quickly and takes up a low amount of ink. Its good for making paths for your more hevily-armed teammates to swim through, ambushes, and coving ground quickly. Its bad for 1v1 combat and sniping.

Its sub would be the splat bombs to give it some type of range, and its special could be the Kraken, as that kind of does the same stuff as this weapon (Covering ground, moving quickly) just a lot better and with combat ability.

Plus, it could have an easter egg were if you go up to one of the pieces of graffiti you find in the maps you could paint over it. :) (Though the ink covering the graffiti wouldn't take ground in turf war and you wouldn't be able to swim through it, to keep it balanced against the weapons that can't cover graffiti.)

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'm thinking it'd be a lot slower and more telegraphed than most shots.
Or just weaker, like Rapid Blaster shots. (maybe they could have one-shot splats with the center, then lose damage very quickly as you go farther from the center?).

Separately if it was a secondary weapon, maybe one mine for 50% of the ink tank, so it costs 1,5 ink tanks to complete one set. All at once if it was a special of course.
Ah, I see. That would work pretty well. It would have a maximum range, right? What would happen if you set them too far apart from one another?

Also, for a weapon idea, perhaps a sort of shotgun-type shooter. It could have tightly-grouped imk-bullets (groups of 4 or 5) that spread a bit as they go out, shot all at once instead of rapidly shooting separately like other guns, which makes it easier to splatter people, and its range could be roughly that of a Splattershot, but it would eat through your ink quickly, and it probably wouldn't cover turf all that well. Its sub weapon would be the Seeker, for extra range and better mobility, and its special would be the Inkstrike, for claiming turf and aiding faraway teammates. I also pictured it looking like a showerhead.
I also thought of a similar shotgun-type weapon, but with a much wider spread, like an Aerospray with better range (and more bullets fired per shot, maybe 7 or 8?) and maybe a slightly wider and taller spread (maybe circle-shaped?), and maybe firing a bit slower. Its sub weapon would be the Suction Bomb, for covering faraway areas, and its special would be the Bubbler, for defense and supporting teammates by giving them shields too, and also because Bubbler is just awesome. I also thought of it looking like some sort of bulby thing at the end where the ink comes out (for the wider spread).

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
My idea for a potential weapon:

The F.L.U.S.H.: A weapon that works like a garden hose as it constantly sprays jets of ink with continuous fire. It eats through your ink gauge like nobody's business and its range shrinks the more often it's used, but if you hold off on firing for a while it can reach very far (like a hose that's built up enough pressure when closed). Supplemented by Burst Bombs for immediate splatting action when you want to build up the F.L.U.S.H.'s pressure, and a Bubbler to protect against people who might take advantage of the weapon's weakness.

SuperShyGuy

Inkling
NNID
PicoDude
The Great Sea Dragon

Weapon Type: Blaster

Rate of Fire: Very Slow, slower than a normal blaster

Mobility: None, Makes you immobile (while firing of course)

Range: Farther than a normal blaster, but still rather short-ranged.

Impact: Extremely high damage, and large AoE.

The idea behind this weapon is an all out attack blaster that can kill multiple enemies at once, but at the cost of mobility and RoF.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
The Great Sea Dragon

Weapon Type: Blaster

Rate of Fire: Very Slow, slower than a normal blaster

Mobility: None, Makes you immobile (while firing of course)

Range: Farther than a normal blaster, but still rather short-ranged.

Impact: Extremely high damage, and large AoE.

The idea behind this weapon is an all out attack blaster that can kill multiple enemies at once, but at the cost of mobility and RoF.
Huh, that sounds really nice. What Sub/Special would it get?

My idea for a potential weapon:

The F.L.U.S.H.: A weapon that works like a garden hose as it constantly sprays jets of ink with continuous fire. It eats through your ink gauge like nobody's business and its range shrinks the more often it's used, but if you hold off on firing for a while it can reach very far (like a hose that's built up enough pressure when closed). Supplemented by Burst Bombs for immediate splatting action when you want to build up the F.L.U.S.H.'s pressure, and a Bubbler to protect against people who might take advantage of the weapon's weakness.
That sounds neat too, especially with the Bubbler.

I had a few random thoughts again:
High-Pressure Charger: A Charger whose shots pierce through enemies, enabling it to cover areas behind enemies and Squid Beakons and the like (but not going through Splash Walls, that's a bit too strong) and hit multiple enemies at once. It would have a range between the Squiffers and the Splat Charger, and have a charge time roughly like the Splat Charger, and it could fire about 8 shots before you run out of ink. Its power wouldn't be that great, it would realy only be a 1-shot splat if fully charged. Its sub-weapon would be the Splat Bombs, to force enemies out of areas, and its Special would be the Kraken, a great all-around special. The idea behind this weapon is to create a Charger that is primarily an offensive weapon; piercing shots give it the near-unique ability to shoot multiple enemies with one shot (shared only by Blasters), giving it a one-of-a-kind offensive utility, its Splat Bombs can be used to reach hard-to-snipe areas and force enemies out of an area, and the Kraken can compensate for the Charger series of weapons' lack of mobility as well as giving you a much-needed defensive option for when you get overwhelmed.

Gaddbrush: The paintbrush from Super Mario Sunshine. It wouldn't quite run as fast, its swings would be a bit slower, and its ink efficiency is lower relative to the Inkbrush (you can run about 0.8 times as long with the Gaddbrush), but in exchange it would be more powerful, being a 2-hit splat (though Defense Ups could turn it into a 3-hit splat), with more range, about the same as an Aerospray. Its sub-weapon would be the Seeker, for covering areas without going to them, splattering foes and possibly for mobility (since you're slower than the Inkbrush), and its special would be Bomb Rush, for covering a wide area without endangering yourself by using Seekers and splattering foes from a distance (since you're using a brush-type weapon, this seems important). The idea behind this weapon is to make a stronger Inkbrush with a more offense-based loadout, with Seekers and Seeker Bomb Rush for ranged combat and brush-swings that, while still short-range, are a bit longer and a lot stronger.
Also I wanted a Sunshine-paintbrush-based weapon after seeing the latest possibly-real leak

Octoshot: The gun used by Octolings. It has a slightly longer range than the Splattershot and it's always a 3-shot splat, but its fire rate is a bit slower. Its sub-weapon is the Splat Bomb, and its special is Bomb Rush. The idea behind this is to create a more offense-based Splattershot variant, with Splat Bombs and Splat Bomb Rush to blast enemies out of areas or just splat them.
Elite Octoshot: The gun used by Elite Octolings, with identical shooting but a modified loadout. Its sub-weapon is the Seeker, and its special is the Inkstrike. The idea here is to make a more balanced version of the Octoshot, with Seekers for long-range and mobility and Inkstrikes for area-coverage and team-support from any distance.

SuperShyGuy

Inkling
NNID
PicoDude
Huh, that sounds really nice. What Sub/Special would it get?
I'd opt for a Disruptor to stun foes, making shooting easier and for the special I'd go with the Inkstrike to cover for the weapons poor inking abilities.

Other ideas I had:

The Jellyfish Jetpack

Think two sparypaint cans rigged together to create a jetpack, right? It would propel the user into the air, inking turf below them. Dunno how it would be nerfed, but a cool pipe dream nontheless.

Now in terms of actual class based weapons, how about a roller so tanky you needed to ride it like a bicycle? dunno, I think it would be fresh.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Now in terms of actual class based weapons, how about a roller so tanky you needed to ride it like a bicycle? dunno, I think it would be fresh.
Better yet, we could have a skateboard with the wheels replaced by mini-rollers. You can cover plenty of distance at the expense of the width of ground covered, but you'll have to actively push forward on slopes like regular rollers. That said, it won't be such a good weapon in stages with an obvious falling hazard or closed spaces, but it'd be killer in places like Kelp Dome.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'd opt for a Disruptor to stun foes, making shooting easier and for the special I'd go with the Inkstrike to cover for the weapons poor inking abilities.
Yeah, that sounds like a great weapon now. Not my thing (I like having mobility, and my aim sucks too much to use a Blaster), but still, sounds neat.

The Jellyfish Jetpack

Think two sparypaint cans rigged together to create a jetpack, right? It would propel the user into the air, inking turf below them. Dunno how it would be nerfed, but a cool pipe dream nontheless.
Ah, perhaps that would work better as a sub-weapon, giving a height advantage to shooters or like a Dynamo Roller or something along those lines.
But as a main weapon, maybe it could work like high jumps, chargeable like a Charger without slowing down, with each "jump" shooting an ink-ball straight down Blaster-style that explodes when it hits something, covering a wide area and dealing roughly the same amount of damage as a Suction Bomb (full charge only, could maybe be a 3-shot splat with a small blast radius with minimal charge). Each "jump" could cost, say, 16% ink for a full charge (maybe 7% ink for no charge), with a full charge jetting you roughly from ground-level to the top of Blackbelly Skatepark's center platform (with low charges going about 1/2 as high as a regular jump). Its sub-weapon could be Squid Beakons, since your mobility with this weapon lets you easily reach good points to drop a Beakon on, or Burst Bombs, for when someone starts shooting at you or for long-range air bombing. Its special could be Echolocator, for a quick ink refill and getting information, or Bomb Rush with Burst Bombs, because air bombing raids just sound like an amazing idea in my head.
I'm not sure whether I'd prefer to see it as a utility weapon, with Squid Beakons to get teammates to high areas quickly and Echolocator to keep yourself in the air, or as an offensive weapon, with Burst Bombs and Burst Bomb Rush to deal death from above and be effective while grounded. Which do you prefer? Or perhaps you have a different loadout in mind?

That sounds like so much fun. Doubt it would happen, but if it did I would so ride it.

Better yet, we could have a skateboard with the wheels replaced by mini-rollers. You can cover plenty of distance at the expense of the width of ground covered, but you'll have to actively push forward on slopes like regular rollers. That said, it won't be such a good weapon in stages with an obvious falling hazard or closed spaces, but it'd be killer in places like Kelp Dome.
I didn't even consider this, but it makes sense and now I want it to be a thing at some point. I could see it working like an Inkbrush variant of sorts, with less spread and more forward range on its swings and without having to worry about stepping in enemy ink until you get off and maybe it could 1-shot people if you skate into them but with the drawbacks of eating through ink faster and taking wider turns while on the board, but really I just want to go on Blackbelly and play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater in the Splatoon engine.

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
The Jellyfish Jetpack

Now this would be interesting. Perhaps, when you flick it, it does a Wheelie akin to Wario's bike from Smash Brothers. The flick has a bit of wind up, but shots don't go through the bike very well, meaning winding up makes you resistant to damage.Or maybe it would go very fast, but only have two trails, like a regular bike. And then have a different one called the Crusher Bike that has a bit more splat range, but is slower.

Personally, I want to see a charger with phenomenal range and good mobility mobility, but it can't fire until it's fully charged. Mayhaps with a Splat Wall and the Echo-locator ?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'll pitch some basic custom weapon ideas. First of all, we can assume that all Chargers will have a scope version eventually. So, since we are getting the ELiter-3K Scope very soon, we can probably expect the Custom ELiter-3K Scope in the near future. The Squifferscope and New Squifferscope will probably come soon as well. Note that all scope chargers have the same subs and specials as the scopeless versions. We also need custom versions of the Dual Squelcher, 0.96 Gal., Carbon Roller, Splash-o-Matic, and L3 Nozzlenose. I'm also considering different forms of the Inkbrush, such as a crazy fast but very narrow one and one sonewhat slower but slightly wider.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
Something I was wondering about a while ago was the addition of a...man I forgot their names. Squeemers or something? Anyways the little cleaner robots in the single player mode as a sub weapon. Could be a very good subweapon to use since it wont be affected by the opposite teams shots and will clean up their ink. Very beneficial to turf wars.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Something I was wondering about a while ago was the addition of a...man I forgot their names. Squeemers or something? Anyways the little cleaner robots in the single player mode as a sub weapon. Could be a very good subweapon to use since it wont be affected by the opposite teams shots and will clean up their ink. Very beneficial to turf wars.
Squee-G. It could work, maybe as some sort of slower anti-Seeker that heads toward the nearest enemy ink and sucks it up (but it also sucks up your team's ink, so you have to be a bit careful when using it) and can also travel on walls, but deals no damage to and cannot be damaged by enemies. It'd have to be temporary (maybe 6ish seconds), but you could ride on it (maybe even while it's on walls?), so it could definitely have potential.

And because I can't post in this thread without throwing in a weapon idea of my own:
The F.L.U.D.D. as a shooter-type weapon that fires from just above your Inkling instead of in front of them like normal shooters. It would have next to no spread, the fire rate of a Splattershot Jr. and the range of a Dual Squelcher (roughly) and it wouldn't slow you down as much as normal shooters do when you move and fire, but its shot power would be extremely low (5-6 shots, before Defense Ups) and it would eat through your ink at a fairly quick speed (you should get about 8 seconds of continuous fire). Its sub-weapon would the Rocket Nozzle, which charges up for a second after pressing R (during which you cannot shoot), then launches you upward (roughly from ground-level to spawn-point height on Arowana, for reference) with an ink-jet that splatters people who touch it and leaves an ink-circle where you blasted off from if used close to the ground, which would cost roughly 75% of your Ink without Ink Saver Subs. Its special would be the Inkstrike.
The idea with the F.L.U.D.D. is that you can use its superior range and firing speed, combined with its tight spread, to snipe enemies from a long distance and cover turf quickly, while you have the Rocket Nozzle to high-jump up to quickly reach high-up areas that would normally be either inaccessible or not quickly accessible, or just to get out of firefights before escaping to a higher elevation or just shooting down at your attackers as you fall. Fitting the superior-in-turf-covering-but-kinda-crap-for-combat theme of this weapon, the Inkstrike should not be used in the middle of a fight or when you expect to be attacked, but if you have some space you can use it to assist your teammates no matter where they need help.
Also I really want a F.L.U.D.D. weapon in Splatoon

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I want to see a proper Rapid Blaster, like, more rapid than the current Rapid Blaster. Something pistol like, where you'd be able to let off a few blaster shots pretty quickly but it'd run you low on Ink fairly rapidly, for a hit and run kind of play style. I guess it might sort of fall into regular Splattergun territory, but that's what I'd want most.

Infinity343018

Senior Squid
I'd like to see a 6 shooter like weapon with the strength of a Rapid Blaster.

My main thought though was an airbrush kind of weapon. It's be like a flame thower, deadly up close but little to no range. It would fire a big poofy cloud of ink in front of you and you'd move super slowly while firing. That cloud does continuous damage to anyone who is in it but it has a set size and dissipates behind you if you move too fast. (say, staying for 6-8 seconds kills you depending on defense buffs) It's sub would be the Squid Beakon for bringing teammates to the front lines and the Bubbler as the special for protecting yourself from foes who are too far to reach.

Also, if enough enemy shots are fired through it it completely dissipates.

It's variants could be one that has a larger cloud but moves much slower and another one that could be lighter and you move faster but your cloud isn't that big.

That was what I was thinking the first time I saw the Aerospray MG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom