• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Map Discussion: Flounder Heights

Efuramu

Inkling
NNID
FireEmblemGamer
Hiya everyone! So Splatoon just got a new Map to add to the rotation! It's pretty HUGE! I hope we can come up with so new strategies for this new map. What are you guys and gals thoughts on this new stage?

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I"m definitely enjoying it so far, I've only played Turf War though. (I'm a bit busy tonight so I'll find some time to play the ranked modes on it tomorrow) It really does seem like a cross between Moray Towers and Urchin Underpass, but it's still unique and interesting to battle on. I like battling on the rooftops, and I've found weapons with bomb rush work fairly well at covering some of the lower ground on the enemy base from the highest part of the apartment complex.

Efuramu

Inkling
NNID
FireEmblemGamer
I'm guessing that this stage has a big emphasis on utilizing walls to your team's advantage. After a few matches on Ranked, I found that using walls got my team closer to the Rainmaker and to the opposing team's base quicker than just taking the stairs. And I also found out that not many people know how to traverse the map, making it easy to win.

EDIT: Or lose horribly. Seriously people have no clue where to go.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Loving it so far. It's very unique and has an awesome atmosphere! :D
Curious as to how splatzones will go, and tower control I think will be difficult on this map.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
The game insisted I play several matches in Arowana Mall/Port Mackerel before I got to see what Flounder Heights was like. gaem wy u du ts

Anyway, this place is simply sprawling with walls and pathways so I can't really blame anyone at this point for getting lost easily. While the way to get the Rainmaker to the enemy base is simple, there are so many other places to watch out for--especially the sniper perches. On the other hand, there are quite a few wall-mounted grates for people to traverse through to help with sneak attacks and the like, so as long as you can use them to your advantage the enemy team won't see you coming.

That said, I think this place is pretty golden for all weapon types. Aside from the aforementioned Charger/Splatling perches there's also some good areas for Rollers and perhaps Brushes to get in some ink for their specials. And of course Sloshers and Shooters are just as versatile as in all other stages.

Also, to think the area has its own in-stage mini-map that updates in real-time! I like those touches. It makes it feel like people would actually live here even with the battles going on!

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I find the new map a little big and confusing to navigate through.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, I got one game in and I'm really liking this map. It has a lot of different routes, so playing offensively can pay off, but thanks to the cover distribution playing defensively can also work pretty well. For once since the first Global Testfire, I was actually able to stay back and ink an area without having to worry much about fighting the enemy (and the enemy was playing very offensively). I'm very glad about the placing of the wall blockades; the last thing we needed is another map where it's impossible to defend against an enemy hiding in a wall (Bluefin Depot)

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Loving it so far. It's very unique and has an awesome atmosphere! :D
Curious as to how splatzones will go, and tower control I think will be difficult on this map.
I hosted a lobby earlier tonight where we tested every mode for flounder heights and they are all awesome! There are 2 Splat Zones on opposing sides of the roof fairly close to eachother so it will make for some super intense matches! Think skatepark hectic but with arowana's height in the center but with more ways to approach.

Tower control is brutally fun! Tower starts dead center underneath the catwalk attached to the rooftops and the set path way is always near the ground so expect getting bombarded from every direction possible!

Rainmaker is fun too and can be challenging as well similar to TC mode but with more freedom to approach of course.

But yeah, overall, I have to say this map offers so many possibilities to strategize with that it will always challenge everyone to come up with a 'Play it by ear' game plan! I love this new map so far!

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
I hosted a lobby earlier tonight where we tested every mode for flounder heights and they are all awesome! There are 2 Splat Zones on opposing sides of the roof fairly close to eachother so it will make for some super intense matches! Think skatepark hectic but with arowana's height in the center but with more ways to approach.

Tower control is brutally fun! Tower starts dead center underneath the catwalk attached to the rooftops and the set path way is always near the ground so expect getting bombarded from every direction possible!

Rainmaker is fun too and can be challenging as well similar to TC mode but with more freedom to approach of course.

But yeah, overall, I have to say this map offers so many possibilities to strategize with that it will always challenge everyone to come up with a 'Play it by ear' game plan! I love this new map so far!
Yeah it was a little overwhelming at first because there are so many ways to approach this map it is sick. Splat Zones was more intense than I had expected.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
I thought it was dumb, but then I realized I'm the one that's dumb. Wall climbing unlocks the best in this map.
It seems too big for 4v4 but otherwise a good map.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Best-looking map in the game. I just love the aesthetic they've gone for and all the details to be found everywhere. I love just hanging around in Recon, listening to the cicadas and taking it in.

It's massive though. The best strategies aren't immediately obvious because there are so many options. I can't wait to discover them.

(Btw @Efuramu, you'll probably want to change the title of this thread soon to remove the word "new" - it won't be new forever!)

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
This map is huge. Like, seriously huge. Like fighting around an actual apartment building should be, I think.
I almost got lost here once or twice, so maybe it's a bit too huge (or maybe I was just tired).

Regardless, I love it already. It's so big, which gives plenty of ways around the map (though I wish most of the Rainmaker teams I got stuck on realized this, they always just tried to power through center; we won some, but it was still annoying), and it's got verticality, which I like on any Splatoon map (especially in the center, feels nice to control the top of the map, even just briefly). It's good, I think, though I haven't gotten to play on it in Splat Zones or Tower Control. Incidentally, what are those like on Flounder?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
@Jeremyx7 Oh, thanks mate! Not sure how I missed that, haha.
They sound good, though I was expecting the Splat Zone to just be one Zone in the center corridor between buildings (in that hallway below the grate between them) rather than on top of them.
Can't wait to be able to jump back on tonight! Hopefully I won't be stuck on Rainmaker again (or continually punted to the other stage. Again.)

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
I'm liking the map on the Ranked modes but I can't say the same about Turf Wars. The map seems to be well suited for chargers so lucky me. It's a good map but I wouldn't say that it's one of my favorites just yet.

Last edited:

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
I'm liking the map on the Ranked modes but I can't say the same about Turf Wars. The map seems to be well suited for chargers so lucky me. It's a good map bur I wouldn't say that it's one of my favorites just yet.
As a charger main I would actually say this map doesn't necessarily favor any kind of weapon really. At least not that I can tell based on my experience so far. While I still manage to do well with a charger on this map I must say I have to work for my splats allot more even if I'm on the roof top. Mainly because of all the cover, multiple pathways, and unpredictable nature every where this map brings. Even though the top is very open It's also very vulnerable due to the enemies being able to come from just about any wall! It's incredibly tricky imo.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Let it be said that Splat Zones here are intense. Since both zones are close enough to practically count as one yet aren't, you have to constantly switch your focus between the two of them lest the opponents steal one behind your back. It's not like in Port Mackerel or Moray Towers where both zones are separated with enough distance and/or obstacles so that a savvy team can consistently prevent the zone closest to them from ever falling to the others. In fact, I'd say it's more like Blackbelly Skatepark where despite the tower in the middle both zones can still be heavily contested by those circling around. Granted, Blackbelly doesn't have a grate between the Splat Zones...

Efuramu

Inkling
NNID
FireEmblemGamer
Best-looking map in the game. I just love the aesthetic they've gone for and all the details to be found everywhere. I love just hanging around in Recon, listening to the cicadas and taking it in.

It's massive though. The best strategies aren't immediately obvious because there are so many options. I can't wait to discover them.

(Btw @Efuramu, you'll probably want to change the title of this thread soon to remove the word "new" - it won't be new forever!)
Ah, okay. Thanks for telling me, to change the title!

And I've taken sometime off from Splatoon's Online multiplayer to just walk around the map and I feel that its easy to get ambushed from above if you don't pay attention to your surroundings. I've been taken out a lot of times by not checking my flank and moving around constantly! Seriously, rollers have fallen out of the sky just to kill my team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom